• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Canuckreefer

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
So I'm up and reading(listening through audiobooks as well) the GoT books(just started Storm of Swords), and I am quite pleased and intend to finish them all before the last books come out so I can get rid of the bad taste called Season 8.
However I was wondering how much of an interest this would get if movies were made based on the 2 final books which would be close to identical to them. Meaning they could use the same actors, introduce new ones(for following the books). If people complain about it not being like the series they could always be referred to read the damn books or shut up.
I think something like this could work no?

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The book series won't be finished for 10-20 years (and, yes, the books will definitely be finished even if Martin isn't the one to pen them). By the time A Dream of Spring is out, I think we'll be ready for a full-blown reboot. It might be animated the second time, or maybe they'll try to do a live-action retelling, but I think it will happen. People loved the series until the final few seasons so running it back again with the promise of a legit payoff after all the build up would still garner a huge audience.

Two movies wouldn't be nearly enough time to tell the story properly. If you think the last few seasons were rushed, just imagine cramming all that into 3 hours.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best of all, imagine the kind of film tech we'll be able to experience in 2064.

Should be sweet.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think they should just pick up where they left off.

A new ruthless king arrives and throws Bran and all the rest into Blackwater Bay, starts burning villages/hiking taxes, and we've got a show again.

Apr 24, 2018
Is this your first time experiencing the books? The first three books are fantastic, but the quality of both Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons is much lower imho...I hope that Winds of Winter and A Hope for Spring turn out well, but I'm not holding my breath.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
First 3 books are great, 4th is so-so and ADWD is a dumpster fire. I fully expect the last two books to be crap, if they ever come out (and that's a very big if).
So, no.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I'd have no interest in that. Do a Dunk & Egg show instead (and don't let D&D come even close to it even for a second.)

Edit: Going by the tone of the thread, it's probably worth saying that I love all 5 books thus far. Storm of Swords is obviously the best, but the two that follow it expand the world in super fun ways.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
The huge cast of characters and plotlines works for TV, but not for a film.

The last 2 seasons obviously focused more on Danny & Jon, but with the books the central through line isn't as clear which you usually need for cinema.

Also, the strength of the early seasons was the dialogue and interaction between characters, as opposed to simply plot progression - something I think a film would struggle with.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
A movie or multiple films would be too rushed for all the plot points needing resolution in the final 2 books. The strength of the books is giving the world time to breathe and allowing you to believe in the credibility of this universe and the actions of the characters. Even the TV show at it's best struggled with this.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the big reasons the last seasons struggled was they were trying to cram thousands of pages of material into not nearly enough runtime. Dunno how doing a movie instead could possibly help.

OP
OP
Canuckreefer

Canuckreefer

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
The book series won't be finished for 10-20 years (and, yes, the books will definitely be finished even if Martin isn't the one to pen them). By the time A Dream of Spring is out, I think we'll be ready for a full-blown reboot. It might be animated the second time, or maybe they'll try to do a live-action retelling, but I think it will happen. People loved the series until the final few seasons so running it back again with the promise of a legit payoff after all the build up would still garner a huge audience.

Two movies wouldn't be nearly enough time to tell the story properly. If you think the last few seasons were rushed, just imagine cramming all that into 3 hours.
They could go the Lord of the Rings route no?
But I wouldn't be opposed to a tv show as well

OP
OP
Canuckreefer

Canuckreefer

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
One of the big reasons the last seasons struggled was they were trying to cram thousands of pages of material into not nearly enough runtime. Dunno how doing a movie instead could possibly help.
Yeah D&D punk asses didn't want to do 10 seasons and 10 episodes each though that's their own stupid fault. HBO gave this option to them and they said no because they realized they were shit workers and couldn't do that so they exited asap.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's not true, though. They never bothered adapting most of Feast or Dance. The lsat three seasons are bad because D&D wrote bad scripts.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah D&D punk asses didn't want to do 10 seasons and 10 episodes each though that's their own stupid fault. HBO gave this option to them and they said no because they realized they were shit workers and couldn't do that so they exited asap.
I really don't get why they did that. Like, just step away and collect the residuals.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
So I'm up and reading(listening through audiobooks as well) the GoT books(just started Storm of Swords), and I am quite pleased and intend to finish them all before the last books come out so I can get rid of the bad taste called Season 8.
However I was wondering how much of an interest this would get if movies were made based on the 2 final books which would be close to identical to them. Meaning they could use the same actors, introduce new ones(for following the books). If people complain about it not being like the series they could always be referred to read the damn books or shut up.
I think something like this could work no?
Not everyone hated season 8

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
A two-hour movie adaptation of any of those books, even if the books end up great, would be infinitely worse than what the show dreamt up.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
They'd likely be fairly massive books, so no I don't think you could do them in a movie a piece. You'd need quite a bit.

And it wouldn't connect at all considering it's about season 5 when things really go off the rails compared to the books.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I think the controversial twists of series 8 were probably meant to be in the books if they came out, Dany becomes a war criminal, Bran becomes King, the war continues after the defeat of the white walkers like the scouring of the shire. Maise Williams and the 'kids' would be proper adults even if the books got finished. Bran's actor already looks very tall and matured for playing a kid, which is fine, it's reality.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think a big part of it was that the writers should have bit the bullet and penned a tv original ending a lot earlier, so even if their ending was weaker or more conventional than something GRRM would write, it could have still been executed properly. Instead having to rush to a half baked ending kind of compounded things imo.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Only if the first film opened with Daenerys reliving her closing scene from Season 8, then waking up going, "Man, that was a stupid dream."

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The ending isn't changing right, just the path to it? So we'll still have Tyrion recommend Bran out of nowhere to be king, the North somehow being allowed to be independent, the Dornish who never even bent the knee to dragons submit while having an untouched army, the Greyjoys who have been fighting for independence for decades also submit even though the crown has no real way to project power, John going beyond the wall, Dany dying the why she did and for the same reasons, the White Walker threat not really being much of a threat, etc.

If that's all still happening, they shouldn't even bother with it. A polished turd is still at the end of the day a turd.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
You know how many movies you'd need to properly do the last two books? Assuming they're not the meandering, filler filled messes of the last two books that could be upwards of 3,000 pages. No one has time for that shit being made into actual movies.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not true, though. They never bothered adapting most of Feast or Dance. The lsat three seasons are bad because D&D wrote bad scripts.

Cutting Dick Crabb was "adapting" him by way of cramming too much material into not enough time.

What is the distinction you're making?

I think a big part of it was that the writers should have bit the bullet and penned a tv original ending a lot earlier, so even if their ending was weaker or more conventional than something GRRM would write, it could have still been executed properly. Instead having to rush to a half baked ending kind of compounded things imo.

Yeah probably.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They started working toward their own ending after either the second or third season. They did spend years with what we got.

GRRM is never finishing the books

Why is this relevant? The books will be finished one way or another and this thread is about what should happen adaption wise when A Song of Ice and Fire is done.

Cutting Dick Crabb was "adapting" him by way of cramming too much material into not enough time.

What is the distinction you're making?

D&D didn't adapt the final 3+ seasons. They took what Martin told them about his plans and did whatever they wanted to do. That's pretty different from cramming thousands of pages into a few seasons like the poster I was responding to said.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just read the books? Why do you need movies of them?

The show was only good when it relied heavily on the works of GRRM. Whenever they tried to do their own thing and eventually go off the books it was bad and didn't really add anything to the narrative.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Why is this relevant? The books will be finished one way or another and this thread is about what should happen adaption wise when A Song of Ice and Fire is done.

OneFairfax: "Do you think Daniel and Tyler could eventually write stories in the ASOIAF universe?"
George R.R. Martin: "Uh… no."
OneFairfax: "Do you see anyone? Or will ASOIAF books forever remain your work alone?"
George R.R. Martin: "I don't see anyone else ever writing (legally) in that universe."

if he doesnt finish he will not let anyone else finish and hes not going to finish

OP
OP
Canuckreefer

Canuckreefer

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
You can't just start from that book it would be incomprehensible.
Those adaptations would be only for the book readers.
If people can't understand then they go read the books.
I'm reading/audio listening the books they should be able to do the same if they want to understand.
As I said its really to wash away that bullshit called season 8

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Movies wouldn't be long enough to cover them in a satisfying way even with multiple entries unless the last two books are drasticly different from the previous ones. Im sure they'll reboot the show in 15/20 years time and stick closer to the books.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Those adaptations would be only for the book readers.
If people can't understand then they go read the books.
I'm reading/audio listening the books they should be able to do the same if they want to understand.
As I said its really to wash away that bullshit called season 8
I hope you understand why that is a completely unrealistic expectation.

JJDubz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Would rather not see any ASoIaF media than just having movies. I just can't see it working.

I guess you could focus on smaller conflicts in film.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
The only way a reboot works is if the book's ending is SIGNIFICANTLY different from the show's. Otherwise I don't think they'll get much traction because everyone will already know the ending. In fact, even if the reboot were to follow the books word for word I don't think it would be as popular as the show: in part because with the books out everyone would already know the ending.

This means that, in order for a reboot to have a chance at being as popular as GoT, you would need to have a unique ending while also staying true to the source material. Part of what made GoT so popular was that no one knew how it was going to end. A reboot wouldn't have that luxury.

So no, I don't think they should ever touch it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You would need to animate books 4->end.
The only way a reboot works is if the book's ending is SIGNIFICANTLY different from the show's. Otherwise I don't think they'll get much traction because everyone will already know the ending. In fact, even if the reboot were to follow the books word for word I don't think it would be as popular as the show: in part because with the books out everyone would already know the ending.

This means that, in order for a reboot to have a chance at being as popular as GoT, you would need to have a unique ending while also staying true to the source material. Part of what made GoT so popular was that no one knew how it was going to end. A reboot wouldn't have that luxury.

So no, I don't think they should ever touch it.
It's going to be significantly different due to fAegon. Once you figure out where he probably goes in the narrative, S8 making no sense ..... makes complete sense because he's the linchpin for everything that happens at Kings Landing post Green Trial.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
That would be worse than the series, since the whole flaw with the end of the series was them rushing through the story to fit it into their shorter scehdule (that HBO didn't want, that the actors didn't want, only the show runners). Imagine trying to fit the two books into only 4 hours! The show already had movie-level budgets, so I dunno what doing two new movies would do.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
You would need to animate books 4->end.

It's going to be significantly different due to fAegon. Once you figure out where he probably goes in the narrative, S8 making no sense ..... makes complete sense because he's the linchpin for everything that happens at Kings Landing post Green Trial.
I understand your point, but if the actual end is Bran becomes King, Dany dies after going mad, etc, that's still too close to the show to warrant a reboot. The reboot would need to have its own unique ending that is both significantly different and yet true to the material. Good luck with that.

IMO, as you said I think the biggest difference in the ending of the books will be the journey there. I don't think the final outcome will be all that much different though.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Euron in the books seems like this evil scheming and threatening villain so I'm mostly looking forward to involvement in the final books.