• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
definitely in this day and age with terrorism and everything it should be removed, no need to promote senseless violence in videogames that a lot of children play.
Umm how about parents be parents and not let children play it? It's rated Mature for a reason. Stop blaming video games for crap like this happening

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
No, if it was ok then it's ok now.
Not that I think it should necessarily be removed (I'm personally uncomfortable with the scene, but they did already update it to have warnings and to let people skip it), but this really isn't a great mindset to take. Sometimes pieces of media have things that don't age and people are allowed to reevaluate them for future consumption. Things shouldn't be okay now because they were okay then.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
No, Russian!

I actually think the level is kind of tasteless and the story told isn't good enough to really justify its inclusion, but I just wanted to make this dumb joke. Wellp, that's my story, thanks for reading.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't ok in the first place. I'm frankly baffled by the hypocrisy in this thread. Imagine if this level were about shooting e.g. French or Belgian or New Zealand civilians, would this be fine for you? Oh, I thought so.

It definitely has to be removed if a remaster happens, and moreover they should apologize for including it in the first place.

Real people are not being shot. The nationality of the characters in the game is usually tied up in whatever the story of the game is or its setting. This is very straightforward to follow and expect if the game has a story and some sort of plot/narrative.

Unless you are shooting aliens like in Gears of War, games involving war/conflict between humans are going to depict humans, whatever nationality they are.

This is where I get frustrated. People willfully ignoring context and intent to make up opportunistic gotchas. Therefore trying to piggyback off of real world tragedies to "win" internet arguments with hot takes.

You're appealing to a strawman in order to imply anyone who may challenge you has a... negative view on French, Belgian or... here it is because of the current mass shooting, New Zealand civilians.

Quite frankly, that borders on being pretty disgusting if you ask me, and at best, completely intellectually vapid/dishonest.

ShrtAttnGmr

Feb 7, 2019
With the responses in this thread, I wonder how many people actually played MW2, or if they did, paid attention to the story. "It doesn't mean anything", "It was done for marketing purposes", "It was only to shock" are all simply incorrect. It is an integral part of the storyline.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely no. It would accomplish nothing. People offended by it can simply skip the scene or not buy the game.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't be cut. Are we going to remove the ability to kill pedestrians in GTA5 too? C'mon. Mass censorship because of the actions of one depraved mind would be absurd.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
They can if they want, like they have that right, but it's no more tasteless now than it was then. It's still just as bad as it ever was, and a baffling thing to put in such a mainstream game.

Honestly it's such a big part of that game and its identity that I don't think they should remove it, but if they're uncomfortable with it in the game then they just shouldn't re-release it at all. There are a ton of games that could be re-released, they don't have to do the one with the airport shooting level.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol damn. "Censoring the past?"

Is the No Russian mission some artistic form of expression that provides value to humanity by giving us another viewpoint of those different than us?

It's simple.

It's part of a game called Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. It came out a decade ago and allowed anyone to skip it.

Now Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is getting a Remaster and it should feature the original mission because it was a part of a game called. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

It's as simple as that. It was in the original. It should be in the remaster.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Censoring art would be removing the scene. I am talking about not letting players pull the trigger. Change it into a cutscene.

So, you do know this right?

However, there is an option to skip the mission entirely, found at the beginning of the game and the beginning of the mission itself (labeled as Disturbing Content). Also, if a player wishes to play the mission but would like to skip it at any point, there is an option at the pause screen that allows the mission to be skipped at any time the player likes. There are no penalizations in terms of achievements/trophies or game completion. It should also be noted that there is no on-screen prompt or incentive given to the player to shoot/kill civilians, as the mission's only objective simply says "Follow Makarov's lead". Additionally, the player can go through the mission without shooting any civilians or police officers.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are so reactionary. It's impressive.
We can't just go around removing things from old media because someone currently might get offended. You guys are so gun-ho when it comes to banning and removing stuff. It's ironic as hell.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Absolutely not. I remember it being a powerful experience (personally) the first time i played it. I refused to fire a shot even then, but the perspective was chilling. Definitely enhanced the game. I'm def not a fan of cancelling things, and skipping this takes away some of the unique power of games. As others have suggested, if it personally offends: skip it. However, don't remove it or make it a forced cut scene.

The forced sniper assassination in GTA V annoyed me far more. The one that you MUST do.

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
LOL.

He might have discovered other worse asshats through Felix's weird social media connections, eventually go all the way down the rabbit hole and end up radicalized on 8chan but he certainly did not commit his Breivik homage due to good old PDP. Fuck, he might have his start of darkness by a having a vaguely ethnic person cutting ahead of him in a line. Let's ban lines.

It's simple as this: you can't reasonably limit yourself by what a miniscule amount of idiots might do, especially when it is not even confirmed there is any causation. That's not sane.
You assume it's minuscule, but do the research before you post. 4 of the biggest mass shootings in US history happened in 2018. Check the stats.. the number is growing.

God forbid it ever hit close to home for you, but I'm sure if it did you would change your tune along with everyone else in this thread.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was tasteless then and it's tasteless now. It's provocative just for the sake of being provocative and has no further message.

That said, the original game let you skip it if you didn't want to play and at the very least that should be available.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. There's an option to skip it so for those who want to do so, they can and for those who choose not to skip it, they can play it.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You assume it's minuscule, but do the research before you post. 4 of the biggest mass shootings in US history happened in 2018. Check the stats.. the number is growing.

God forbid it ever hit close to home for you, but I'm sure if it did you would change your tune along with everyone else in this thread.
I don't know what you are even arguing anymore, but thanks for confirming you actually do believe games cause IRL violence, Glad we settled that.

Do you honestly believe anyone that decides to point their gun in the game at a woman or child and fire, at the same time is going to feel bad??
I'm arguing that being an participant in a mass shooting, even if you do not actually pull the trigger, instead of just watching it in a cinematic has a bigger impact.

Honestly, do you purposefully try to misunderstand every post you react to?

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
Nothing else, just that part. And if you are so attached to the scene, you can easily pick up the original MW2 and play it there.
So if you can just play it on the original then what's the point of taking it out? If it offends you maybe you just shouldn't play that game at all and just avoid it?

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Although I don't personally think it adds much of anything to the game and think it's perfectly fine to skip it, I don't think it would do much good to censor it. It's not like people will have forgotten about that level.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cat is out of the bag on this one already. Removing it would be a useless gesture.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I think if they were going to remake it, it has to remain. The game, though it might not have made good on that intention, was about the lengths people will go to sustain a war through acts of terror. If anything, it should be fleshed out and better contextualised. It'd certainly be a lot different to what people would expect from the Call of Duty brand, though the single player campaigns since MW1 have always been critical about war and it's influence on culture.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you are even arguing anymore, but thanks for confirming you actually do believe games cause IRL violence, Glad we settled that.

I'm arguing that being an participant in a mass shooting, even if you do not actually pull the trigger, instead of just watching it in a cinematic has a bigger impact.

Honestly, do you purposefully try to misunderstand every post you react to?

This is such a funny post seeing as you completely misunderstood his point.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
No it's part of the game.

I'm not a fan of scrubbing media in the first place. Look at history for what it really is and learn something from it, don't whitewash it.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think if they were going to remake it, it has to remain. The game, though it might not have made good on that intention, was about the lengths people will go to sustain a war through acts of terror. If anything, it should be fleshed out and better contextualised. It'd certainly be a lot different to what people would expect from the Call of Duty brand, though the single player campaigns since MW1 have always been critical about war and it's influence on culture.

This I can agree on. If the story telling was better and they actually fleshed it out beyond some Tom Clancy ass writing the scene would work much better.

Oct 27, 2017
No, but the entire premise of the scene is extremely dumb. They find a dead American at the airport, the next logical step is to invade Europe and the US. Come on.

Which is ironic given this question. Some real world tragedy happens, the next logical step is that we ban and remove depictions of similar tragedy from the media? Come on.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They already ask you before hand if you wanna skip it. So no, no need for it to be removed.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is ironic given this question. Some real world tragedy happens, the next logical step is that we ban and remove depictions of similar tragedy from the media? Come on.

But here's the thing, it's not a "similar tragedy" at all (one can obviously also point out, 49+ people have fucking died, let's not call a video game a "tragedy" in-line with that). The terrorist mass shooting in the news just now was a terrorist going and opening fire in a mosque with some fucked up manifesto. MW2, released in 2009 I might remind everyone, has absolutely nothing to do with that on a contextual level. Due to the release date, it's also not one of those situations where a game is set to release when a tragedy occurs and is possibly delayed or changed out of respect. See MGS2, or Motorstorm.

The leaps being made from this to a current real-world tragedy are opportunistic and honestly, as I said earlier, incredibly callous.

If everyone uses their brains, it's quite clear this level in the greater context of a whole game, MW2, can be looked at through the lens of the intent of the full package. Its story, its setting, what it is trying to achieve (which can be critiqued). Whereas, some dev trying to get "School Shooter Simulator" approved on Steam, might just be looked at slightly differently than every other piece of adult media, which may also contain scenes of violence, even against unarmed targets.

I honestly despair at some of what I'm reading in here, but maybe it's simply me thinking using this tragedy in the news to springboard into talking about No Russian is the height of intellectual dishonesty and bad taste internet brawling. No Russian was debated when it came out, just like every GTA release has some fucked up scene people ask has it gone too far (GTA5 with the torture scene). Okay, those conversations can happen, but springboarding into them off the flimsy backing of this mosque shooting is simply opportunistic trash.

Last edited:

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
I don't think it should be removed. Also it didn't really need to be playable in the first place. And should be made as a cutscene.
I played the original when it came out and it did a really good job of showing how horrible something like that was and how much of a piece of shit and warmongering genius the villain was. But it should stay in. Maybe not as a playable mission but a long cutscene that still shows the horror and evil that Makarov commits. While hammering home that it is something that happens in real life and isn't to be idolized.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh yes, that thing: stupid edgelord nonsense with the most flimsy of narrative justifications, worthless on-rails gameplay and executed in incredibly poor taste.

Of course it should be part of the remaster. They own it.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
The problem with No Russian isn't that it exists, it's that it's in a game that's otherwise as dumb as shit. The context is all wrong.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Nah, It's arguably part of gaming history now, and censoring it would feel like being on the same level as taking the racism out of old cartoons.

A content warning would be enough.