• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
There were shootings when the game came out. There are shootings today. It was just as controversial then as it is now. The level is skippable if you don't want to play it. The rest of the game, the rest of the series, hinges on that scene though. So it has to happen one way or another.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I do believe is that they can be a catalyst for people with already seriously distorted views of the world and even bigger mental health problems to carry out events like this in the real world.
I refuse to have shit censored just because it possibly, maybe, might make fucked up lunatics slightly more unhinged. Or not.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Modern warfare 2 was the height of infinity ward's les enfants terribles phase. It needs to stay in as a testament to their poor taste. All the marijuana puns and "fight against grenade spam" crap too.

Feraligatre

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Yes, let's validate decades of fear mongering and negative stigma that video games incite real life violence by removing something because it's too controversial. Let's limit where video games can go narratively and thematically while every other medium continues to challenge itself with difficult ideas.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
No, I'm against censorship in any way. Let adults decide what they want to see, don't make the decision for them.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It was tasteless back then and it still is today. Needless shock value. So many people are affected by mass shootings of innocent civilians today that there is no reason to let players partake in that in a video game.

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to have shit censored just because it possibly, maybe, might make fucked up lunatics slightly more unhinged. Or not.
It isn't "shit". Maybe in your eyes its fine, and maybe you don't watch the news, or have never met anyone with mental issues so you can't relate to the idea that unhinged people are out there, but I assure you that they exist. Turn on the news today.. they clearly exist. This content can be perceived, in it's own way, by those people, as hate/violence-promoting material. It was not created for artistic value.. It was created for shock value. That is the issue here. It is totally unnecessary.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
Playing Call of Duty is the 2000s version of playing with a bunch of 80s transformers action figures. Thinking there's any depth or artistic vision in any of it is laughable.

that's why is said "games" not "call of duty modern warfare 2". if we start censoring call of duty we're setting a bad trend and other games with conent that might come off as offensive to someone are also going to get censored. my opinion has always been, if you don't like something don't buy it and cod even gives you the option of skipping this mission. the only time where i think steam/ms/sony should censor and not even allow a game to be on their stores is when a game features hate speech or games that are "rape sims".

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't "shit". Maybe in your eyes its fine, and maybe you don't watch the news, or have never met anyone with mental issues so you can't relate to the idea that unhinged people are out there, but I assure you that they exist. Turn on the news today.. they clearly exist. This content can be perceived, in it's own way, by those people, as hate/violence-promoting material. It was not created for artistic value.. It was created for shock value. That is the issue here. It is totally unnecessary.
I don't give a fuck, crazy people do crazy shit. That bunch of cretins who shot up the mosque in NZ certainly did not pull it off because of MW2 and trying to second guess every story beat because it possibly might give somebody ideas is a road to hell.

You are basically going "I'm not saying it was aliens games cause real life violence, but it was aliens games cause real life violence." Fuck that.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017

So lets ban all the movies and tv shows that glorify needless killing. Lets ban books that have atrocities in them.
Shit lets ban the internet while we are at it.

Just because some lunatic might use them as an excuse for their behaviour. Let's not treat the root cause of the problem, be it mental issues, political propaganda or whatever the cause may be that makes terrorists commit the atrocities they do.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
It was tasteless back then and it still is today. Needless shock value. So many people are affected by mass shootings of innocent civilians today that there is no reason to let players partake in that in a video game.

there are many more people affected by illegal wars the US is waging in the middle east, yet we're still okay with playing call of duty and battlefield. so many people die from road rage every year but nobody would ever think of censoring gta in that way.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All I know is that I will not touch the game where I play as mass shooter. LMAO at "artistical choice". It was a cheap trick for shock value.

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't give a fuck, crazy people do crazy shit. That bunch of cretins who shot up the mosque in NZ certainly did not pull it off because of MW2 and trying to second guess every story beat because it possibly might give somebody ideas is a road to hell.

You are basically going "I'm not saying it was aliens games cause real life violence, but it was aliens games cause real life violence." Fuck that.
Just like the person in NZ could have never been inspired by PewDiePie, right?

You're being naive.

Oct 28, 2017
No. You can already play "No Russian" on a modern console anyway.

This would be like removing a scene from the Blu Ray remaster of a film because it's offensive or sensitive in a modern context. It doesn't really accomplish anything.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
there are many more people affected by illegal wars the US is waging in the middle east, yet we're still okay with playing call of duty and battlefield. so many people die from road rage every year but nobody would ever think of censoring gta in that way.

Are we really equating road rage to mass shootings now???

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

MW2 is a decade old game that exists and should continue to exist exactly how it was in it's original form. Nobody who buys this remaster is going to not be aware of the original scene, especially since it already is available in millions of copies and videos on the Internet. Removing it in the Remaster accomplishes NOTHING. If anyone is so effected by this and needs sheltering from media like this, then they shouldn't play MW2 or any other 18+ game that has the player shoot people. If someone needs their media consumption to be spoon fed to them and "cleaned up" then it's up to them to avoid the stuff that they don't want to partake in and not ruin it for everyone else.

Nobody needs sanitized versions of games or any other piece of media that have already existed just because a handful of sheltered people might get offended.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just like the person in NZ could have never been inspired by PewDiePie, right?

You're being naive.
LOL.

He might have discovered other worse asshats through Felix's weird social media connections, eventually go all the way down the rabbit hole and end up radicalized on 8chan but he certainly did not commit his Breivik homage due to good old PDP. Fuck, he might have his start of darkness by a having a vaguely ethnic person cutting ahead of him in a line. Let's ban lines.

It's simple as this: you can't reasonably limit yourself by what a miniscule amount of idiots might do, especially when it is not even confirmed there is any causation. That's not sane.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sometimes I don't know if posts like this are an attempt to satirize the right-wing Fox News with the MS Sexbox and/or heavy metal music causes satanic cat sacrifices of Soccer moms of the 90's/00's.

Or if you are being 100% serious, what it is the last few years with the willful ignorance or complete ignoring of context and intent in order to ascribe complete nothing situations to real-world atrocities.

It seemingly doesn't matter how many times these studies have to be done to tell Jack Thompson otherwise, https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180116131317.htm / https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...reased-aggression-in-teens-new-research-finds

Except we seem to not be dealing with Jack Thompson now, but self-prescribed left-leaning progressives. Which causes the brain failure in most of us considering it was self-prescribed left-leaning progressives who brought facts and logic to these arguments throughout history when parents and politicians were hurling them around.

Whatever is going on it is incredibly egotistical and in my humble opinion, ironically, in bad taste. Taking a real tragedy and trying to shoehorn it into a scene from a Call of Duty game. Especially a game that came out ages ago. Because mass shooting X occurred, everyone else's life must be impacted because of a non-existent link between a violent video game and said mass shooting.

Scenes in violent games can be critiqued as being tasteless, but that's where it stops. Once you try to use a real tragedy to win an internet argument you are arguing in bad faith if the evidence doesn't support the links you are directly stating or hinting at.

So much for we don't change our lives to let the terrorists "win". Roll out more topics about everything that has to be banned or censored.

And before anyone gets smart with a reply, there is a contextual difference between No Russian and "School Shooting Simulator" on Steam. Please don't hit me up with bad faith arguments and/or willful ignoring of context and intent.

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So lets ban all the movies and tv shows that glorify needless killing. Lets ban books that have atrocities in them.
Shit lets ban the internet while we are at it.
When did I say to ban anything?

I'm saying that everyone in this world that is truly against these types of crimes should be doing their part when presented with a choice. A choice to either be proactive and responsible, or reactive to make buck from controversy.

No one can control what anyone else does.. but everyone can do their own part. They can either be part of the problem or part of the solution. Actions speak louder than words and how MW2 devs choose to handle this subject will be telling.

They can do whatever they want with MW2, but this move by them before was tasteless and it will be if they do it again.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody needs sanitized versions of games or any other piece of media that have already existed just because a handful of sheltered people might get offended.

I don't think it's sheltered people getting hurt by seeing someone kills dozens of women and children in a video game. It's more likely going to hurt relatives to victims of these mass shootings. But sure go tell them how important your right to partake in digital mass shootings is for you.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really see why you would, there were mass shootings in 2009 too, it sucks but the world isn't such a different place now (besides you maybe being more aware of it). The game gives a disclaimer and you can skip it.

Plus it's not like it would accomplish anything, the mission has been playable for a decade in a mega popular game.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No way, it's one of the most immersive set pieces in shooter history. I was horrified through the whole thing and fired no bullets.

thebagel1

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely not. If we want games to move foward as an artistic medium, we need to allow them to tackle controversial subjects. Imagine if they removed the curb stomping scene from the movie American History X.

Oct 28, 2017
Leave it in the game. It'd be dumb to remove it just because of IRL happenings. Plus you're only reinforcing the idiocy that games have any sort of major pull on a person over any other type of media.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it's sheltered people getting hurt by seeing someone kills dozens of women and children in a video game. It's more likely going to hurt relatives to victims of these mass shootings. But sure go tell them how important your right to partake in digital mass shootings is for you.

Censoring art because of feelings is a terrible road to go down.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That sucks but they shouldn't be playing a remaster of a game that features these scenes to begin with, if that's the case. That portion already exists in millions of copies and removing it accomplishes absolutely nothing. Plus the remaster will have the option to skip it like the original. Is this fact lost on you?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty obvious that you purposefully left out that poster's example of US military violence in the middle east because that's a lot more comparable to a mass shooting than road rage. Actually engage with their argument, don't just cherry pick their examples.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
It wasn't ok in the first place. I'm frankly baffled by the hypocrisy in this thread. Imagine if this level were about shooting e.g. French or Belgian or New Zealand civilians, would this be fine for you? Oh, I thought so.

It definitely has to be removed if a remaster happens, and moreover they should apologize for including it in the first place.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018

if you don't agree with that comparsion that's okay. what about call of duty as a whole? should it be censored/banned because the US has been involved in illegal wars in iraq with half a million dead? think of how many people were affected by that. in mw1 there is a mission where you bomb a russian village out of plane, why is it okay to have missions like that in games but not scenarios as in "no russian"? in the mw2 shooting you are at least not forced to partake in the massacre, same with gta. if you don't bomb the russian village in mw1 you lose the game.

It's pretty obvious that you purposefully left out that poster's example of US military violence in the middle east because that's a lot more comparable to a mass shooting than road rage. Actually engage with their argument, don't just cherry pick their examples.

thank you. i didn't even want to compare both acts (mass shootings/road rage) with each other but from the way i was understanding it the poster i was reaplying to made the argument that the reason why mw2 should get censored is because of the high amount of casualties during these mass shootings and the amount of people (families etc) being affected by those. but that number is way higher for people dying because of road rage etc. of course the acts themselves aren't comparable. english isn't my first language so i have some problems to express myself the right way.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I honestly don't know but I think it's pretty disheartening to see so many people defending a tasteless scene put there for pure entertainment by comparing the game to other works that used violence as a focal point to represent and criticize the reality they depicted. You can support the opinion that it should be kept in the game because a remaster should keep the original product intact without doing stupid comparisons.