• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think exclusive Kinect support would have made the Xbox One notably more popular?

• Yes, it would have been a pretty attractive next generation feature!

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • Nope, the motion control frenzy was over - it wouldn't have affected console purchasing decisions

Votes: 174 84.5%

• Total voters

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinect was released as an add-on accessory for the Xbox 360 in November 2010. There was a relatively brief but massive swell of interest in the product that gave the Xbox 360 a sort of second-life. In 2020 I think it's kind of hard to convey how much people were excited, interested, and drawn in by the possibility of Kinect, but if your memory of that time is hazy I'll re-emphasize that it really captured the popular imagination. Kinect was probably one of the best-selling accessories/add-ons ever (at least among those that cost $50+). After a couple years of ho-hum software, interest in Kinect kinda died off. Games that required Kinect pretty much disappeared from the marketplace. For game developers there's not much point in making Kinect titles that only a tiny fraction of the userbase can purchase.

The Xbox One released 3 years later, in Nobember 2013. At the time, the Kinect was a mandatory part of the package -- if you got an Xbox One, you were going to get the Kinect camera and IR sesnors. By this point though, the lack of interest in Kinect-driven software was apparent. The Xbox One's Kinect was largely seen as an albatross chained to the console. People felt it was an unwelcome presence that increased the selling price of the system without providing anything interesting or valuable. I think this was probably inevitable, given the lackluster post-launch support for the 360 Kinect. Within 6-8 months Microsoft was basically forced to offer an Xbox One SKU that dropped all the Kinect hardware and offered pricing-parity with the PS4, but the damage done was pretty immense.

But imagine for a second that the 2010 Kinect never happened. Instead, Microsoft spent another 3 years refining the tech for integration into Xbox One. So instead of launching into a market where consumers were completely burnt out on motion controls, Kinect was something completely new. It would have been as intriguing and exciting as it was the day Project Natal was revealed. Suddenly the difference between the $400 PS4 and the $500 XB1 doesn't look so bad. Developers would be able to make Xbox One games with the assurance that all users would have a Kinect, perhaps ensuring broader support from more talented developers. I think one of Kinect's problems was that it only appealed to developers looking to have a quick cash-in on the motion control craze, but if there was a new top-tier platform where motion controls were the standard then maybe Microsoft could have attracted some talented developers that wanted to do more than imitate Wii games.

All that said, it does seem like motion control was a non-starter in 2012/2013. Nintendo's WiiU was released in 2012, but only really supported motion controls for Wii games in backwards compatibility mode. Nintendo was the innovator in motion control, and even they saw the writing on the wall. The fad was over, and it was time to move on to something else (even if that something was as utterly unappealing as the WiiU Gamepad). So maybe Kinect would not have drawn audiences to a new Microsoft platform, even if it had been offering something as interesting as a controller-free motion experience.

So if you were a decision-maker at Microsoft, would you have saved/delayed the Kinect to launch a new system? Do you think it would have been a major competitive difference against the PS4? That's not to say that the Xbox One would have been a smashing success, but maybe it could have held its ground against Sony a good deal better than what actually happened in 2013/2014.

Part of what inspired me to ask this was the level of enthusiasm surrounding stuff like DualSense haptics and 3D audio on Playstation 5. It seems like at a console launch, people are much more likely to be excited by wildly new tech, and to latch on to those features as difference-makers. While I'm generally skeptical of Kinect's practical value and applications, I think it probably would have created a lot more hype around the Xbox One launch.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I think it was great that it failed, but it was great for other things, so they should have keep doing that.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
165.gif

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The very specifically worded poll options don't leave a lot of room for individual takes, OP. I voted "no", not because the motion craze was over - far from it - but because Kinect was wildly successful as a mid-life kicker for the 360. It just rapidly ran out of new gaming ideas to exploit it meaningfully. The result would have been the same if it were launched with new console hardware.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Actually, yeah. It would have attracted a lot of people who wouldn't care about the Xbox One otherwise.

Would Kinect live and radically change everything? I don't think so. But the One would definitely sell a lot more than it did.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Once again, the poll question is opposite of the title.

Last edited:

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It was a combination of it being forced to be included with the One as well as all the NSA surveillance stuff at the time that really did it in.

Case in point, everyone has speakers and phones that listen to everything they say and no one gives a shit.

I miss the Kinect being a thing.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
All that said, it does seem like motion control was a non-starter in 2012/2013. Nintendo's WiiU was released in 2012, but only really supported motion controls for Wii games in backwards compatibility mode. Nintendo was the innovator in motion control, and even they saw the writing on the wall. The fad was over, and it was time to move on to something else (even if that something was as utterly unappealing as the WiiU Gamepad). So maybe Kinect would not have drawn audiences to a new Microsoft platform, even if it had been offering something as interesting as a controller-free motion experience.
Yep, you said it really well yourself here. The motion control phase of the Wii was starting to fade when the Kinect and PS Move were released. If Microsoft released the Kinect when the Xbox One launched in 2013, it would've been way past the peak of the motion control craze.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say. The easy answer is no. The Wii led the charge on that front, and once the Wii's days were over, it's easy to say the demand for similar products would be gone, too.

But, who knows? With a big marketing push, the BS promises that were made about it, the stupid Milo (Project Natal) demo that got hyped all to hell...I could picture it having an impact, sure.

The biggest stumbling block I see is that price. $100 price difference is a big deal, no matter what superior tech you claim to have. And the Kinect crowd is maybe not the type to go in that hard, money-wise.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A big issue OG Kinect had was removal of some (all?) of the processing power earlier development units had, putting more on the 360 to do the work. Limited what could be done quite a bit.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
It being an option would have been nicer.

The panic over it surveillaling everything was a harsh reaction Imo. We've invited nearly every other device and permitted them to collect and monitor our lives.

Mar 23, 2018
I think it absolutely would've sold a ton more Ones at launch. It would've seemed like next-gen, especially if it worked as well as the One Kinect did vs the OG Kinect. The first Kinect was pretty hyped but the tech kind of sucked. If it just went straight to gen 2 and exclusive to next gen I think people would've been more excited.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
no. i think the trend was winding down and as we saw on x1 microsoft didn't have anywhere exciting to take it. moreover, third parties had only limited interest in supporting it. time and effort spent on kinect would have been better spent on cultivating exclusive (non-kinect) content for a unified userbase

microsoft enjoyed tremendous goodwill thanks to the 360 and if had they followed up with a console that had price and power parity the x1 would have had a very different fate imo. they didn't need a secret weapon or new accessory to move units

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
the OG Kinect was launched at the precise moment it needed to make a killing, any moment after would be a financial failure, is a shame that is success shaped the strategy for the One, it was both a blessing and a curse lol

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with Xbox and Kinect at the time was they abandoned their userbase that made them so strong to chase the Wii market, which was flaky to begin with. That, I think, is why the PS3 at the very least became dead even at the end of generation. MS stumbled with the Kinect and they did it again with the XBone. Hopefully they learned their lesson. Sony has garnered trust since they support their systems long after the release of a new system and it's something MS desperately needs to figure out if they haven't already.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
The thing with Kinect was they forced hands free gaming... for a good accurate experience (yes even for casuals), you need something in your hands. I was curious if they were eventually going to release controllers for it + VR, but they gave up on all those millions of Kinects in households.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
An old MS leak had the Xbox One as a $299 console with alongside Kinect 2.

I feel like if there was timeline where Kinect 1 happened later, I think the only way to do this would be for Microsoft to hold off on the Xbox 360 S in 2010 and had to have been planning to release the Xbox "720" / "One" in 2011 at $299 and $399 with the Kinect.

So instead of using the 360 as a launch pad for the Kinect and media apps, MS would launch the new Xbox built for that stuff in 2011 and sunset the 360.

All the massive 2011 holiday titles would've been on this new Xbox as well like Gears 3, MW3, and Skyrim.

This would've been another Xbox 360 type event where Microsoft launches next gen first and probably would've been massively successful. Kinect was insanely popular in 2010 and 2011 and I don't think the interest in it would be less in this alternate reality had it launched one holiday later. If anything it would've been akin to the Wii all over again. A brand new device that had a way to play games without the use of a standard controller that wasn't just a Wii Mote, and would be seen as "next gen" to both the Wii and PS3 Move.

This would have to have been the first thing Don Mattrick did after taking over Xbox.

The 8th gen would have been completely different assuming Wii U is still the same product in 2011 and PS4 would either be launched early in 2012 or be 2 years late to respond to Xbox.

We also know mid gen refreshes were on Xbox's mind before XB1 released in 2013, so there would still be a "One X" release after awhile, probably when the Kinect hype wanes and 3rd parties are wanting more power out of the Xbox.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it would have made much of a difference. But I could see it doing better than it did, especially if all the 360's biggest Kinect games were instead Xbox One launch window games.

Child of Eden at 1080p with more accurate Kinect aiming would have been nice alongside Dance Central as a platform.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Kinect was the worst form of motion-tracking, combined with an overall increase in fear and awareness of having cameras in your home that were always on or could be remotely activated. No incarnation of Kinect as a living room camera peripheral was going to be a mass market smash hit.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
No, Kinect had a lot of significant and inconvenient issues, and it was much less useful than the controller and buttons for the UI.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Kinect was inherently flawed: It essentially provided a 3d pointer without a button to indicate a "click".

Even if it worked perfectly, and without latency, it would have never worked for gaming applications.

Apr 25, 2020
No, because Kinect was a dumpster fire when it comes to gaming. It's found a meaningful life in other ways, but gaming was never going to be one of them.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nah, the Kinect tech just... wasn't good for gaming. You can't overcome that fundamental truth with a better release window or hardware bundling.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Motion control hasn't faded it simply evolved with VR. Motion controls are better than ever. As for a full body motion control? I don't know.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
the 360 Kinect sold like KAAAAA-RAZY. as an add-on that cost less than a brand-new Wii.

the Xbox One team clearly didn't have a coordinated, top-to-bottom strategy to sell people on a required Kinect as part of a new console. you can't do that sorta thing without a Super Mario 64 equivalent to answer, "why is this in the box?"

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Kinect is one of the most successful add-on peripherals of all time - if not the most successful.

Their mistake was not realizing the fad was over soon enough.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
the 360 Kinect sold like KAAAAA-RAZY. as an add-on that cost less than a brand-new Wii.
Yeah, and it's weird that people just accept it as a complete failure.

wikipedia said:
Kinect first launched as an add-on for the Xbox 360 in November 2010, and within a few months more than 10 million units had been sold, making it one of the fastest-selling computer hardware products at the time.
The thing was basically 6 months of wii.