• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
I know Phil has repeatedly said there will be no VR support at launch. But the spec of Xbox Series X makes me wonder, it is possible to power a good VR experience? If not, does anyone know what are the missing pieces?

Last edited:

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
it could play pretty much any VR game on the market right now.

More than enough for HL:A if they wanted, wouldnt be missing anything since they could just support WMR headsets which have inside out tracking so no external cams needed, just plug and play.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think that high framerates are especially crucial for VR experience and given the CPU in XSX I don't see a problem for VR, the system has plenty of raw power for gaming, VR are not.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Wasn't there like reporting recently saying Microsoft is partnering up with Valve for a VR headset?

Or is my brain playing tricks on me?

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Yeah I mean you are basically asking if a computer with a good cpu and a 2080super gpu is capable of high quality vr. I damn sure hope it would be.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Wasn't there like reporting recently saying Microsoft is partnering up with Valve for a VR headset?

Or is my brain playing tricks on me?
MS, HP and Valve.

MS has been participating in the VR space for a while now so its not too suprising, its probably the next gen of WMR headsets which are pretty great and cheap these days.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Don't personally know smaller details that may prevent VR compatibility (plug n play at least), but I imagine those things would be fine.

As far as specs, hoo boy. It could handle anything existing right now with ease at probably a significantly higher resolution than even the Index. A big part of it is that they didn't skimp on the cpu this time around. Solid performance is absolute king in the VR world.

And this isn't accounting for all of the increased efficiency that headsets are going to allow for in the near future. For example if they wait until around half way through the gen foveated rendering could actually enable IQ to be better than it would be on a standard screen, even sitting inches from your face. Facebook is absolutely pouring money into R&D for that kind of stuff though, so there's no way MS would come up with a better/earlier solution; Abrash (Oculus) said it's still a good 4 years out at Oculus Connect 5 last September.

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
What port will they use for the VR headset? Unless they'll go with a breakout box type thing like PSVR?

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Specs wise it could do it great. They just need to make/get/buy a headset and get dev support which is what they dont want to do because its a considerable money sink that isn't mainstream enough for them to justify it.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Specs wise it could do it great. They just need to make/get/buy a headset and get dev support which is what they dont want to do because its a considerable money sink that isn't mainstream enough for them to justify it.

It is fairly high risk compared to standard gaming right now, but with a more captive audience like the PS4 had with PSVR, the numbers are guaranteed to be decent. 5% hardware attachment rate for Sony (>5 million) with a VR solution that was very poor in some areas and the price of a console. I believe the software attachment rate for PSVR games was really solid too. A bunch of the PSVR games were either PCVR ports, or standard game to VR ports, which costs considerably less than ground up VR games. And VR game developers that are doing ground up VR stuff at this point are usually a very small group of devs so to match the currently existing game quality the cost is not nearly as high as a standard game (minus games like Alyx) . At some point you gotta plant that seed to watch it grow. And after playing HL: Alyx, I think a lot of people would buy a headset just for that. A ton of good preexisting games could also be ported over day 1. They wouldn't have to start from scratch at all for multiplats.

Last edited:

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Easily. I mean, you'd need a pretty expensive PC to match the specs so it would be pretty crazy if not.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It could probably max HL:A no issues.

Absolutely.

I'm playing Half-life Alyx right now on my RTX 2080, an SSD, and the 8-core 16-thread i9-9900k.

The game looks amazing, performance is perfect, and XSX can apparently match that. I'd reckon that this setup actually goes well beyond what HL:A can do.

I'd love to try a VR game with similar production values, but using a 4k headset and DLSS or temporal resolution (reconstruction + scaling).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Does it have usb-c on the front? Ideal solution for convenience would be a single usb-c connected for and supporting headsets with inside out tracking. Eg oculus rift S or even quest with a link cable.

issue Isn't the box being capable, it's getting enough devs to port across. That shouldn't be an issue hopefully - all about expanding addressable market.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel there's a VR game available right now that couldn't be made to work with either of the next-gen consoles, and I include Half-Life Alyx in that. And with devices like the Oculus Quest taking off, we have an anchor of sorts for VR for the time being in terms of system requirements, scale and specs of the games. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing as people want to invest in hardware and be able to play games for years - I feel a lot of the fears/naysaying about VR revolved around your HMD, its input or the hardware it's tethered to being out of date before too long. People don't want to spend ÂŁ400 on a HMD only to be asked to buy different controllers a year down the line or find that it doesn't work with certain games or hardware.

I don't feel system specifications are an issue. I think the more important problem for VR is that people want their HMDs to be somewhat abstracted from the device it's attached to. If you decide to switch from Xbox to PlayStation or buy a second console you don't need to buy a new TV, but if all the console makers start using their own proprietary VR setups then it's not going to instil consumer confidence in the medium. People should just be able to buy an Oculus Rift, Valve Index or any sort of decent HMD that has good tracking and inputs and expect to use that with all their hardware and possibly carry it forward when they upgrade.

I don't have any hope Sony will do the right thing, but I'm hoping that Microsoft treats VR less like a proprietary peripheral and more like a standards-based output device, like a television or speakers. Just set a baseline standard for input (I feel something like the Oculus Touch controllers are a decent start for what constitutes good VR input) and let people use whatever HMD meets that baseline.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Good VR experience, yes. It will run current games perfectly well, but it will likely not have any specific hardware features to accelerate performance. It also depends on the kinds of experiences that will span the entire generation. Whether or not their headset of choice supports inside-out tracking or things like foveated rendering will be very important. I can't see them having created their console with VR in mind as they aren't actively invested in VR being a tentpole feature of their console and even downplay it, but the headset they choose and the features it has is probably the most important thing.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
What port will they use for the VR headset? Unless they'll go with a breakout box type thing like PSVR?
The breakout box was made for the share screen (VR visuals on TV screen), so its not really necessary.
Since PCVR uses both the USB and Display Port, I'm going to assume the inclusion of an adapter for HDMI<->Display Port could be enough to use it on the Series X.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Good VR experience, yes. It will run current games perfectly well, but it will likely not have any specific hardware features to accelerate performance. It also depends on the kinds of experiences that will span the entire generation. Whether or not their headset of choice supports inside-out tracking or things like foveated rendering will be very important. I can't see them having created their console with VR in mind as they aren't actively invested in VR being a tentpole feature of their console and even downplay it, but the headset they choose and the features it has is probably the most important thing.

Yup, and if foveated rendering then higher probability of wireless due to less required data transfer/compression to get equivalent IQ. If no foveated rendering, wireless will be highly unlikely if the native resolution is decent.

Nov 8, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't match the PS5's ability to do VR, if only because I expect Sony to have developed technology in their hardware especially to accelerate some VR-specific operations, which Microsoft probably aren't doing in the Series X unless they already anticipating on seriously supporting VR at some point.

Also, does Series X have an equivalent to Tempest Audio? That's going to be a big deal for VR experiences. VR isn't all about the visual aspect.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't match the PS5's ability to do VR, if only because I expect Sony to have developed technology in their hardware especially to accelerate some VR-specific operations, which Microsoft probably aren't doing in the Series X unless they already anticipating on seriously supporting VR at some point.

Also, does Series X have an equivalent to Tempest Audio? That's going to be a big deal for VR experiences. VR isn't all about the visual aspect.
MS have been working with MR and VR for years now. I expect their software and hardware support to be top notch as well. More than enough tech on the graphics, ssd and audio side to push VR. I kinda hope they do add support since it is good to have options and since that recent VR headset was MS, Valve and HP, it makes sense to push. Maybe even get some Steam VR support.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
The specs land somewhere between a 2080 Super and a 2080 Ti. Those exist, we know how they perform in VR, which is roughly as well as current games and headset hardware will generally allow.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Well it will be there at some point. Phil mentionned that they need to get rid of the wires and doing so keep the smallest lag possible. But given their breakthrough with the new controller and what they're aiming in the Cloud space, it's a matter of time.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I know Phil has repeatedly said there will be no VR support at launch. But the spec of Xbox Series X makes me wonder, it is possible to power a good VR experience? If not, does anyone know what are the missing pieces?
There power is definitely there, the issue is that you can't go into it half heartedly.

Hundreds of people and thousands of hours of resource would need to go into it to ensure that even support was there for existing devices.

Then you need to start drumming up ongoing support from developers, to keep software coming a a steady pace.

The water has already been tested and I think as of now it would be hard to justify that investment, when all signs point towards it still being niche.

Nov 8, 2017
My thinking is based on Sony's previous efforts to accelerate VR on the PS4 Pro (long article, so I've quoted the relevant paragraph below). I'm assuming Sony will continue to make similar efforts to further accelerate VR on the PS5 hardware too.

On top of this, we now understand that the Pro GPU includes custom hardware for accelerating virtual reality. While we're still chasing down the precise detail here, logical steps forward would be akin to what we've seen in Nvidia's hardware - stereo geometry processing, and multi-resolution shading. The latter in particular is a big deal: it would allow Pro developers to concentrate GPU resources on elements of the scene that are actually visible, as opposed to fully processing the periphery of the viewport, with resolution literally wasted in the final lens warp.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Im sure they will meet whatever recommended spec for next gen VR games on PC.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Most USB C ports and cables are USB 2.0.

Type C is a connector. 3.2 is as good as it gets regardless of whether a C or A connector.
While true, when people think of USB C they usually think of the 3.1 version that's in most laptops and computers and not the lower spec'd version that's a glorified charging port. Also despite the full port being 3.2 it might not support the video and power requirements VR would need to run on one cable. No way of knowing as is without a tear down or some word from MS. Really really really hope it does because I want VR on Series X more than anything just in case PSVR 2 doesn't get decent controllers or inside out tracking.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
As a PSVR owner, I really hope Microsoft jumps on VR with Xbox. Expand this market!