• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
the-hulk.jpg

Often thought of as the black sheep of the MCU, when it first came out it was received with mediocre critical and financial reception, rewatching the movie I feel if it was released today it would have had different results

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It'd probably be even less liked than it already is. The MCU has set a certain standard for its films that people expect any new entry to hit and TIH clearly, painfully doesn't.

That said, I'm sure just like with Suicide Squad and Venom, you'd find lots of people that would call it "stupid fun".

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It would've obviously done better now that the MCU is this huge thing that devours entire companies, but critical reception would've been the same probably. There'd be some fanboys defending it but that's pretty much it.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely don't understand the premise of the OP. The movie was bad, it was disliked because it was a bad movie not because it wasn't part of some big MCU. Are you trying to say that you think the whole MCU is as bad as that movie was?

It was boring though.
Boring is still better than being straight up terrible

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's a shit movie with bad CG.

Maybe Ruffalo would redeem it a little bit, but Norton wasn't the problem with the movie.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of the few that already liked the movie and Norton as the Hulk. It certainly had a good soundtrack to say the least.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
The last 30 minutes of the film are fairly boring. But I really like the early parts of it.
It and First Avenger are kinda underrated. It would end up relatively high on my own MCU ranked list.

In terms of critical reception, it's impossible to tell, but it would easily make at least 600 mil if released today, thanks to the MCU goodwill.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i seem to recall that the best action scene in this movie involved 0 hulk at all (the chase through the slums)

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
I think it's a better movie than people give it credit for, but it always felt like a bridge between the average super hero films of the 2000s and what would become the MCU. I don't think it's style of world building and filmmaking would really fly today, but we do live in a world where Venom was successful so who knows.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing this in the theater and somehow we saw a version that had the boom mics in many different frames throughout the movie.

I'm assuming the true final cut wasn't like that but then again I've never rewatched it.

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
No way. If it came out today, it'd be even more hated than it currently is. It's bad, but people give it a pass because it's such an early Phase 1 movie.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Actually I think it would be ''more'' hated.

Back then the MCU was still new and standards were lower. Something like this would never fly after the likes of Black Panther, Guardians, and Winter Soldier.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
It feels every bit like the red-headed stepchild of the MCU that it is, and the closest thing Marvel Studios ever came to stumbling in that venture.

Still, it's fun to imagine an alternate universe where Edward Norton is an Avenger.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
This movie gave us "Hulk Smash" beyond anything else.

Ang Lee gave us mutant dog and cloud fighting scenes

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
the-hulk.jpg

Often thought of as the black sheep of the MCU, when it first came out it was received with mediocre critical and financial reception, rewatching the movie I feel if it was released today it would have had different results

If this is the black sheep, so is Thor Dark World. I think both are in the 60s in RT. Nonetheless, it is considered a Fresh movie.

It is still light years ahead of Eric Bana Hulk.

Fair enough. I felt the scenes with Abomination and Hulk were great. Just thought most people would like the action.

Hmm yes. It was incredible for 2008. The bar has been raised now but back then, it was serviceable. Keep in mind, this came out after Bana Hulk. Just seeing Hulk do his signature moves, screaming "Hulk Smash" among other mannerisms, it was an incredible 3rd act. I watched it again the other day, and I still have fun with it.

Then again, I am the type that loved Ant Man and The Wasp while many here hated it.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hulk used to be my favourite Marvel superhero, so yeah, I kind of liked. Even if none of the movies have really managed to capture what Hulk is meant to be, this and Lee's have done better than the following outings, because they really sell the idea that he's fundamentally a force of nature that could annihilate the planet single-handedly if he wanted to.

Hulk really works when the conflict in the story is between Banner and Hulk.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
It would be a different movie if it came out today, the MCU hadn't figured itself out at that point which is why it's quite different. I do like it as it is though.

Nov 5, 2017
I watched this for the first time last night and was struggling to stay awake through most of the second half, after the fight at the college campus.

It might have a higher audience turnout if it were released today, but the reception from both critics and general audiences would be largely the same, I think. Definitely the low point of Phase One and a sizable step back from Ang Lee's Hulk.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
It's an OK film. I'd rank it above Ironman 2 and Thor 2, but not by much. There was so much set up in this film that never got brought back later.

I would say they want to pretend it never happened, but then they out-of-the-blue bring back Ross. But the sad thing is, they haven't done much with him. How cool would it have been in Infinity War if, when Ross is talking to Rhody and tells him to arrest Steve and the others, Bruce walks in with some nice one-liner to him before he gets cut off? Let Ross see he's back.