• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
I've technically only beaten Bloodborne once but I played NG+ immediately and then stopped once I got to Nightmare of Mensis because I got overly paranoid about the spider room again, so I started a new game and did the exact same thing and stopped at Nightmare of Mensis because I kept feeling like things were crawling on me LOL

Anyways, Bloodborne is fucking amazing.

Dark Souls 2 and 3, not for me. They're slower. And I can't put why into words, but they're just more annoying to play. I think DS3 objectively is like an 8/10 but I honestly didn't have fun playing it at all. It just didn't feel fun.

Nothing was good about Code Vein straight up

But Bloodborne's level design and combat just almost feels perfect. Even though I don't use anything other than the Saw Cleaver because it's fast and versatile (very rarely I use the Blade of Mercy and Ludwig's Holy Blade, but BoM has an annoying damage build up and poor reach, and LHB is slow). Atmosphere is excellent (but fuck the spiders), music is excellent, and I honestly love the lore and really wish that the game itself was at least a bit more upfront about it.

Anyways, with that said, would I like Mortal Shell and Surge 2? Or would I find them too slow? I really love how both games look but I got kind of burned from Code Vein

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think you'll like The Surge 2. It doesn't have amazing boss fights but the actual level design I felt was fairly good.

It's combat is amazing though. Easily one of the best in the genre next to Nioh 2 imho.

Surge 2's speed is honestly dependent on the weapon and even then it's fairly fast.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls III is the most like Bloodborne but it's also got its own hangups so it kind of ends up an unhappy middle ground.

Maybe Nioh? That's supposed to be more of a fast reaction based "die a million times to a boss but it's fine because start to finish it takes a minute and a half" kind of game right?

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I think you'll like The Surge 2. It doesn't have amazing boss fights but the actual level design I felt was fairly good.

It's combat is amazing though. Easily one of the best in the genre next to Nioh 2 imho.

Surge 2's speed is honestly dependent on the weapon and even then it's fairly fast.

oh that's good to hear! From the footage it looks like it resembles BB more than it does DS because from what I remember, it's more about dodging than blocking? I may be wrong though obv
Dark Souls III is the most like Bloodborne but it's also got its own hangups so it kind of ends up an unhappy middle ground.

Maybe Nioh? That's supposed to be more of a fast reaction based "die a million times to a boss but it's fine because start to finish it takes a minute and a half" kind of game right?
Something about Nioh's art direction feels really uninspired and it turns me off

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
oh that's good to hear! From the footage it looks like it resembles BB more than it does DS because from what I remember, it's more about dodging than blocking? I may be wrong though obv

It can be either.

Surge 2 has directional blocking which is tied into it's parry system. But you can get very far with just dodging, though some enemies are easier to kill if you can do directional blocking.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Would have said Sekiro, but looks like you covered that. Nioh or Jedi Fallen Order? Also what about 2D games like Hollow Knight or Blasphemous?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Do you like the idea of chopping off a specific limb in order to get a specific piece of armor? Then you'll love Surge 2.

Honestly such a cool system.

"Hey, that guy is wearing the arms of the set I'm trying to get!"

*Cuts off arm and takes the armor*

And also armor upgrade materials.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Surge 2 is worth playing around with just to see how they cram the shortcuts and loopbacks (once you get out of the prison)
it's nuts
i didnt finsh it though

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
The surge 2 combat is amazing top notch. Level design and character building.

mortal shell it's ok. Kinda short but the design is great, the atmosphere is one of the best among souls like.

both are great games but the surge 2 is the better option and the one you'll enjoy the most.

May 10, 2019
Mortal Shell is a shorter game then the others mentioned for a start. Enemy variety is very limited but some of them are really good depending on the area. The lore is interesting/good for the different areas/bosses and especially the shells you will get.

I did like how the upgrade path would unlock more lore/information that the shell would talk about. You will have only a handful of weapons to find but mixing them up with the different shells allows player variety. The counter system has some techniques you can play around with but are still limited.

Then the shell "hardened technique" makes up for the limited counter system but it can easily be the only thing you keep using as progress further in the game.

There is a good foundation for a sequel and I enjoyed my time with it. Like I said, it's short but also has some great visuals, a $30 pricetag, some interesting game design/lore/combat.

I went from playing/finishing DS1, Bloodborne, Sekiro to Mortal Shell and just finished DS3 with both DLCs. If you decide to go with The Surge first, let me know what you think of it as that's one game I want to play in the near future.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I too have never played mortal shell lol.

I'll throw in a curve ball though. Since you liked Sekiro, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order on hard (difficulty tightens the parry window timings) is kinda up that alley.

Jan 10, 2019
Yeah did no one play Mortal Shell in here?? Lol

I did a few runs and liked it a lot (platinumed it as well, so played quite a bit of it) and I would say it'll feel too slow for you. There's a couple of classes to choose from (called shells in this game) and one of them is a lighter class, but the movement generally feels pretty weighty. There's no spiders as far as I remember, though, haha.

Edit: I'll play anything to scratch that Souls itch, so don't mind me.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
If you are liking a faster pace, I'd go for Nioh 2 like a lot of people are advising in here. I wasn't sold on the art initially but the combat is insanely fluid and the bosses in particular are pretty amazing.

Fallen Order is a good shout for something similar but less taxing too.

Mortal Shell is pretty cool, but I'm a bit biased.

All the games you listed are pretty cheap ATM, which is good :) glad you are scratching that soulslike itch

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Guess it depends on what aspect of the game you value the most, if it's gameplay then nioh takes all soulsborne and the likes to school

Nana&Popo

May 6, 2018
The key to using the blades of mercy is to abuse their rolling attack. It's so insanely good and does thrusting damage, possibly the most useful damage type in the game.