• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What time is the meeting?

• 10AM

Votes: 1,691 71.4%
  • 2PM

Votes: 677 28.6%

• Total voters

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
...and then I said to you "let's move the meeting forward by two hours", what time do you think the meeting will now occur?

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
If you moved it forward, that would mean that you'd want the meeting at 10AM.

Moving it back would be 2PM.

Why do I feel like I'm being asked to settle a debate here? lol

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'd think moving time forward 2 hours to 2 pm, but I could forgive anyone for thinking otherwise since "move the meeting up 2 hours" would mean the opposite.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I say 2PM cause I don't want to do a 10AM meeting. And I eat lunch at noon so nope on that!

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
See, I would say "move forward" as in push it later in the day...

If it was meant to be earlier, I would expect "move up". But yes, I'd just wait for the Outlook invite to change. lol

grang

Nov 13, 2017
If you were to say push the meeting back two hours, you would definitely mean 2 PM. Therefore moving it forward would be earlier.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Forward" sounds somewhat ambiguous when considered by itself in isolation, but in comparison if someone said they were moving a meeting back, I think that is pretty unequivocally a delay, so therefore forward has to be the opposite.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've only ever heard 'move this forward' to mean happen sooner so 10am

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Yeah, Its 10am now. Delaying to 2 would be 'lets push it back'

But I'd just ask for written confirmation, I'm that guy. You know how you get annoyed when someone walks into your office and you agree on something, then they email you 10 minutes later to confirm? That's me. Why?? Because I want it all in writing because you all suck and don't remember shit about verbal conversations.

Oct 27, 2017
'Bring' it forward would be clearer. Either way, forward means earlier I'd say.

Also sounds like someone missed a meeting.

Also the more I look at the word Bring the weirder it looks. Bring. Brrrring. BRING.

Dec 1, 2017
I would immediately ask you whether you mean earlier or later; "forward" is not 100% clear in this context. Don't hold it against anyone for misinterpreting.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
It's 10 AM.

If a time changes, always specify the new time. If participants are in different timezones, include the time for each time zone as well.
And always update the meeting invitation.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I say 10am, but I kinda get where the confusion would come from.

I would also probably say "let's move the meeting up by two hours" if I wanted to move it from noon to 10am.

OP
OP
Pankratous

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
No meetings missed.

I saw this TikTok and a guy explains that people perceive time in two different ways and used this specific example.

vm.tiktok.com

TikTok - Make Your Day

TikTok - trends start here. On a device or on the web, viewers can watch and discover millions of personalized short videos. Download the app to get started.

I think you can watch this without an account. FWIW I'd say it means 10AM.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's ambiguous, but I said 10am because "bring forward" is the logical opposite of "push back" which absolutely means later in the day

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Events in the future get closer as time passes. That means that they are coming towards you. If they move forwards, they are closer to you. A meeting scheduled for 1200 that gets moved forward by two hours has a new time of 1000.

However, nobody should be saying things like that anyway. People don't always have the same understanding of relative timeframes, and that lack of common understanding can be exacerbated by different cultural or linguistic obstacles. Anyone wanting to set a new time should just state the time itself (and try to account for different timezones, where applicable).

Or just schedule in Outlook and let it handle all that.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I know that move forward means 10 AM but my brain wants to think it's 2 so that's what I voted. I'd be pissed at that phrasing anyhow

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
No meetings missed.

I saw this TikTok and a guy explains that people perceive time in two different ways and used this specific example.

vm.tiktok.com

TikTok - Make Your Day

TikTok - trends start here. On a device or on the web, viewers can watch and discover millions of personalized short videos. Download the app to get started.

I think you can watch this without an account. FWIW I'd say it means 10AM.
I don't think this tiktok is right; its both and context tells you which. Object centered time.