• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will I lose my place in line ?

• Yes

Votes: 613 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 107 7.5%
  • If the item is nearby, no, if the item is very far away, yes

Votes: 700 49.3%

• Total voters

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tenor.gif

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
As a cashier if I've already started scanning then by all means go grab something else, I couldn't give a fuck about the people behind you.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. People shouldn't have to wait around for you to come back before they can check out. If it were me and I'd forgotten something then I'd get out of line and go snag it then get back in the back of a line.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Going from an office job to retail has been... Interesting. I have the ability to suspend transactions and then put things to the side, so that can be helpful. The worst is arguing with someone over a price because 90% of the time it was a similar looking item that was put into the wrong place by another customer. No matter how kind you are, there's almost some animosity. At customer service, that's fine. At checkout, it's stressful knowing you're stuck.

Two days ago I realized halfway through scanning that I forgot avocados. I finished up and then went to get the avocados, and then scanned them as a new transaction. Telling the store that they have to wait for you is a total Boomer move.

It's this.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
As a cashier... Yes, you lose your spot. No one has time to wait for you, you are not above or are special when it comes to the rules.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the cashier loses you from their field of sight, even if there are objects left to scan, your turn is gone.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Depends how far you are from paying and from the item tbh. Realizing right when putting stuff on the belt (with enough items obviously) and saying "hey I'll be right back I need to grab something" and being back in less than a minute is fine, but more than that you're an asshole

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
Two days ago I realized halfway through scanning that I forgot avocados. I finished up and then went to get the avocados, and then scanned them as a new transaction. Telling the store that they have to wait for you is a total Boomer move.
💯 if it's not in snatching range just let it go. cashiers don't always have the option to suspend your transaction. if you get out of line of sight you could be taking an emergency shit for all anyone knows
this thread is stressful
same. lol

I watch this happen at my local convenience store all the time. there's usually one dude juggling two registers for when people forget to grab something or are slowly counting their cash. dudes have hustle

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
in the supermarket five minutes walking distance from where i live, the cashier is able to put ringing up your stuff on hold so they can help another customer while waiting for you to return

in such a situation, there is no need to make them lose their spot in the queue

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
As a cashier I'm not going to hold the line for you unless the item is right in front of the cash register. If there is no one there it's fair game until some one is there. But if some one comes up and you are not at my register, I'm ringing them up.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I give customers leeway. If you're grabbing something that's right there and the absence is only a few seconds, to me it's no big deal, especially nowadays. We're in a pandemic; y'all ain't got shit else where to be.

But if you disappear to the other side of the store, fuck you.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If it's more than 10 seconds, yes.

I work front desk at a resort, and if a guest walks away from me while I'm checking them in to get their credit card or ID for something, and it's longer than ten seconds and I have a line, I'm moving on (unless I feel like wasting time or not talking to the asshat in line because I dealt with them already).

Not only am I calling on the next person in the meantime, unless it was something time sensitive, I'm likely to make you wait in the back of the line again.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
The only place where this is acceptable is at a bodega BEFORE the cashier starts ringing you up.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
why did we all get so scared when our parents left at the last second to go grab one more thing? did we think we'd be arrested on the spot for not paying for the groceries immediately?
Fuck, I hated this so much. I thought we'd be done checking out and I'd be left awkwardly standing there while we waited.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
why did we all get so scared when our parents left at the last second to go grab one more thing? did we think we'd be arrested on the spot for not paying for the groceries immediately?

Jesus, don't do this to me. Happened to me as a child, and still happens. I'm pushing 40 and this still happens when I go shopping with my wife. She'll have her wallet on her and then right before we get to the register she'll bolt to go grab something we forgot. She'll say "don't worry, I'll be back before they finish ringing everything up." She always comes back at the last second, as if it's no big deal. Meanwhile, I'm 3 seconds away from a heart attack, trying to play it cool.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
My feeling is that once you've loaded your groceries onto the conveyer, you've got until the cashier reaches your last item to add anything extra.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
I don't think so if it takes more than a minute, I try to have patience during a lapse in judgment because I would hope for the same mercy if it was me.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
The is so situational is this a grocery store? A department store? Convenience store? How many items? How long? What's the cashier doing? Is anyone in front of you? Are your items being scanned? Is anyone behind you? What kinda line? Other registers?

I can't answer this question

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
You could just double/triple check yourself before getting to the counter. Save everyone involved from dealing with your mistake.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Wow this must be a weird cultural thing right? It's totally normal for people to go 'oh bugger I just need to nip off and get this' and then awkwardly run and grab that jar of pesto you'll use once and just leave in the fridge for weeks even though you KNOW that shit doesn't keep.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
As a cashier, the answer is generally no. If they are going to take their sweet ass time to get it, I will cancel the transaction and let them come back after the next person I'm helping. I wouldn't stop the line for them. If they leave the store, or it is like 15+ minutes later they lose their spot.

if they are taking less than 15 seconds to grab something I will just wait. It would take longer to ring them up again from scratch.

Now, people who skip the line entirely and I have never seen them before to buy something, that's when I tell them to get to the back of the line.

Oct 25, 2017
I put my items on the conveyor belt one at a time so I don't have to carry a basket or push a cart. Everyone who queues up after I've placed my first item down must wait for me to finish shopping or find another line.

Oct 25, 2017
From my experience in grocery stores, you can go wherever you want and vanish and they'll wait. Eventually a manager will see the hold up and open a new register for the line.

Should you lose your place? Yes.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If it's close and you wouldn't take longer than 10 secs or so to reach it, fine, if not then don't be mad if you're skipped.
Usually if the person after me has like 2 or 3 items while I have plenty, I let them go first because I know how much it sucks having to wait so long when you're only buying a couple of things. I wish other people did the same for me when I need it though...

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I think check your stuff out, go and get the other thing and come back and line up again. People need to get their shit together, the whole line up shouldn't be inconvenienced because of your indecision, caguama-related or no.

bigosc

Oct 27, 2017
I had to be a back up cashier, I get annoyed that the sales coworkers not telling the customer they need to get the mid beam for their bed frame, so I notify the customer where the mid beam is at but let them know that I'm going to start the next transaction for the customer behind as they go get their mid beam. Usually the customer is pretty cool about it, especially because I tell not run and worry about losing their spot, but I do get an asshole behind them that complains when I resume their transaction.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
So OP is buying Bethesda and Obsidian but when OP already at cashier counter, had a last second thought to buy Sega too ?

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Hey there, cashier here. My rule is typically ask the cashier. If they say it's okay, go for it. If you just walk away to get something without telling them, expect to lose your spot. If you're already in the middle of an order and leave to get something, there's not much we can do besides wait for you, so expect everyone to be pissed when you get back...

As long as something's close by, I never have a problem with people going back for one more item.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only time I'd say you dont is when the cashier notices a problem with one of the items. Like fruit that's gone bad

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
If the cashier is done scanning everything you've given them and you're gone, then fuck no, nobody should have to wait for your dumb ass to get back. Who would expect such a thing?

Wtf?