• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
It is very tropey, indeed. If you don't like anime, and you also teach philosophy, maybe there's really not much to be experienced that you haven't already, I mean... I did like the existentialist theme the game presents, but it's nothing ground breaking that will impress someone that isn't fond of the artistic expression the game tailors or can't stand the anime tropes it will put you through.

But give it a chance, really, the only way you'll know if you like it is by playing it. It's definitely on the top games of the generation to me.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Also, people saying "I hate anime but love Nier" probably just hate the anime stigma and are afraid of being connected to it, while they would probably like a lot of anime stuff actually :p

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
Nier is one of the most beautiful games out there period. It's more JRPG than anime...

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
1. I think we shouldn't equate stilted dialogue and tropey-ness here with Anime. They are not synonyms, but Anime do often have them. Watch better anime to wash that stigma: Run With the Wind, Mob Psycho, Ping Pong the Animation, etc.

2. Nier: A is an amazing action game with a truly interesting meld of gameplay and themes. It has a very satirical approach to dogmatic philosophy, without abandoning philosophical thought. I rarely am moved by games these days and Nier: A left me shook in a way I had not experienced since Journey on the PS3. Stick with it, at the very least you will get some fairly epic set pieces. I will not disagree that it has some stilted dialogue and acting, thankfully it is a game about robots so it doesn't particularly detract the arc here.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Also, people saying "I hate anime but love Nier" probably just hate the anime stigma and are scared of being connected to it, when they would probably like a lot of anime stuff actually :p

This sounds more like a personal problem. Kind of reminds me when folks felt overly self conscious of playing certain games or mediums of entertainment targeting an younger age group and thinking because they enjoy them it somehow has reflects poorly on their personal image, like they need to consume games with dark, edgy, or super realistic art styles in order to justify feeling "Mature" or like an "Adult"

I remember folks did this years ago in regards to Nintendo games and as of recently the same "stigma" seems to paint in a huge brush Anime in a negative context as a whole, which is again nothing more then a generalization considering vast amount of sub-genres considered.

The short end of is play what you like, if you enjoy it, there is no justification of needing to do mental gymnastics or conform your beliefs of a specific bandwagon because a particular medium has ties to specific genres or style of art, or tropes. Soon enough you become old enough to the point of not giving a fuck about what others think on the content you consume and being able to enjoy it, that or just ultimately become bitter and jaded.

OP
OP
Kevin Shields

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
I still have to go through thread but a lot of responses asked for what I don't like about anime... "Hate" may be strong, but I have never finished a game with anime leanings or a jrpg that I can think of... mostly silliness, female sexualization, corny dialogue. I didn't mean to offend the genre, it's just I have t found something in the genre I enjoy

I will say Metal Gear Solid is closest I've come to enjoying that type of game and I did enjoy them although some of the typical anime stuff did turn me off. So someone mentioning that makes me think I can enjoy Nier

Last edited:

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah definitely

You may not appreciate it the same way JRPG or Anime fans do, but it's an astounding Sci-Fi story that can only be told in a video game.

Oct 27, 2017
Anime is a medium. They can drastically differ. Specifically what anime do you hate or what do you hate about the ones you've disliked?

Yeah, but you never see it outside the menus and cutscenes that you can toggle. The actual writing and story of the game is just standard 90's upbeat fantasy adventure.
So Japanese artist and Japanese writers...yet somehow it's not anime?

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I hate anime, can confirm that Nier Automata was overrated trash tier story telling with pretty fun gameplay.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Don't think so, I haven't watched an anime outside of Dragon Ball in several years and still loved the game, it's quite tame in comparison to other games

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Sure, you shouldn't prevent yourself from enjoying things for superficial reasons.

Be open to trying things and you might find yourself getting into new styles and genres.

I wasn't into anime or turn based rpgs and Persona 4 became my favorite game if all time, I wasn't into medieval settings nor difficult games and now Dark Souls is tied for my favorite game of all time, I wasn't into puzzle games and now both Portal 2 and Ghost Trick are tied for my third favorite game of all time.

Step outside your comfort zone, you might be surprised.

If you already tried some of it and enjoyed it, then that is a really good sign to continue.

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Seems like kind if a dumb generalization to put on japanese games, especially if you played the opening and liked it.

Nier 100x smarter than a lot of western titles that think they are

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
So Japanese artist and Japanese writers...yet somehow it's not anime?

What about Chrono Trigger exemplifies the tropes typically associated with "anime?"

When people like the OP who haven't watched anime talk about "anime," from my experience they're referring to the mainstream perception of Japanese animation as if it's a genre, with all the tropes associated with the most infamous examples. I guess my confusion is that I don't see much of a difference between CT and a western '90s adventure movie or tv series.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
When I played Nier Automata I disliked almost every anime I gave a chance. And honestly the first two play throughs' cutscenes and dialogue except for some moments of promise were grating and over-the-top like a lot of anime confirming my fears.... but the gameplay and music were good enough to get me through it.

The third playthrough however was fantastically directed and acted. 9S in particular did a phenomenal job and I was genuinely REALLY impressed.

So yes, OP, even if you don't like anime, give it a shot.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
Probably not. It's not super anime, but it does have some of the tropes and feel of anime here and there. It might be easier to help if you mentioned things you do like

OP
OP
Kevin Shields

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe? I found it a little frustrating on the character development front, but it more than makes up for it with how it immerses you in its world - which evokes feelings of games like Ico, or The Last Guardian, with its melancholic ruined landscape more than it does Final Fantasy and the like.

If you think you'd enjoy something in the realm of post-apocalyptic future sci-fi, then I think you'd feel right at home. The soundtrack is gorgeous and memorable, the lore is rich with plenty of backstory, and the gameplay mechanics (which at times feel a little superficial) are stretched to accommodate some pretty interesting ideas and themes towards the end.

I'd say give it a shot. FWIW, I wouldn't consider it very anime at all, except, maybe on the character front, but the game held my attention all the way to the end.

Yes! The Ueda games made me feel I may like this. Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite game of all time!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'd really say that it depends what you dislike about anime. It's typically not anime in artstyle or tone, but it does feature a fair number of anime tropes in terms of how characters are depicted, and it's overall narrative.

I didn't play all of it though.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's good even if you don't like anime as long as you understand anime tropes, because the game does make use of them at times to subvert expectations.

To me Nier is to 'anime' video game as something like Cowboybebop is to anime. And what I mean by that not a 1:1 comparison, but more like... most people who don't like anime still fuck with Bebop.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Also, people saying "I hate anime but love Nier" probably just hate the anime stigma and are afraid of being connected to it, while they would probably like a lot of anime stuff actually :p

That's what I feel too. Nier is "anime" in more ways than just art style.

In the end it's unlikely for the OP to enjoy the game if he doesn't enjoy any other JRPGs. Unlikely, but not impossible: Maybe this is the kind of anime he will enjoy.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
With such a vague question that doesn't specify what it is that you hate about anime (that also assumes that entire medium is all the same), it's not really possible to give a proper answer. If you already just don't like JRPGs, then I'd say it likely won't change your mind.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
It's good, but you'll cringe when you see the size of the girl's skirt. Nice legs though.
And you probably don't hate anime, you just never found something good to watch. I'm not a big anime/manga fan as well, but I love JoJo, Berserk and Hokuto no Ken. Junji Ito's stories as well.

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
No reason to hate anime, but like any fanbase they can be dreadful to be around. Keyword is "can".

Nier Automata is a great game and I'm not all that into anime.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Well, its not anime at all. It's a video game. Its on game pass and you've downloaded it, so why ask? Just play it and if you don't like it, there are many other games on Game Pass to play.

It has a very Japanese style, if thats what you mean.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish people would detail what they don't like instead of just saying they don't like "anime". Shit's so broad nowadays, it's actually super hard to know what someone means.

Like people who say they hate "anime" but love Guilty Gear or something.

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
big lol @ ppl acting like this game isn't anime af.

Don't let that discourage you, though. Game is totally unique, you might still like it!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I finished the game but have long since stopped watching anime because of cringe worthy tropes and they are all over this game.

Kind of a chore, and hard to say I enjoyed it. I didn't like the Original Nier either, but this one wasn't as bad.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
big lol @ ppl acting like this game isn't anime af.

Don't let that discourage you, though. Game is totally unique, you might still like it!

I think using an umbrella term as "anime af" is pretty non-descript. Its like calling something "movie af" because most popular movies are trash like Transformers. Ultimately it's not the medium's fault for poor writing and tropes.