• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
While the themes are philosophical, the overall structure and presentation of the game is stylized and at times juvenile—although Yoko Taro's tastes are probably at fault. That's not to say it's a bad thing it's this way, but perhaps it isn't what you're looking for.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
It depends what you mean by "anime".

Considering you're listing Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger, and finding something refreshing in the game's prologue, you might find Nier Automata enjoyable. Its story doesn't really match standard templates of Japanese fiction targeted at young boys, even if some of the presentation and character archetypes can also be found in anime.

Knowing what turned you off in the Japanese games you list would help me be more certain.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Stick with it. There are a few anime parts in the game, but if you stick with it to the very end, you'll be glad you did. Make sure you get all the endings.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
What is it that you don't like about anime? That's kind of a broad area, so a little hard to say.

In general I would think the game could at least be appreciated as a solid action game even if absolutely nothing else about the game appeals to you.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nier: Automata was a mistake
It's nothing but
EmbYzvTVoAA790w.jpg

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I think during an Intro to Philosophy class would be a great time to play Automata. Your feelings on anime aren't important.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
"Will I enjoy being a beekeeper if I'm terrified of bees?"

OP, watch Ghost in the Shell if you haven'r already. If you like it, chances are you'll like Automata.

Last edited:

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean, you had fun in the prologue, and you'll definitely enjoy the subject matter (being that you're teaching philosophy) even if it is pretty surface level.

There definitely are some anime things in this game (2B basically being a Waifu, buff shirtless guys, powering up while screaming, generally absurd locations/situations) but they're never really a focus nor are they the priority. Plus, the story is just interesting to watch unfold and touches on interesting points while the gameplay is just fun as all hell.

But really, you're playing through Gamepass, so why not dedicate a little bit of time to play through it? At worst you feel you've wasted 10 or so hours, but at best you find yourself having a blast with an amazing game

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
some ambitious philosophic concepts has me intrigued.

I wouldn't say NieR Automata deals in particularily ambitious concepts. The only one it really dives into to a deep degree is existentialism, and even then, it's obviously not comparable to big existentialist works, BUT it does do a great job at depicting and including many of the different schools of philosophy from Kirkeegard's religios existentialism before god to Camus' absurdism. There aren't many videogames, let alone in the AAA sphere that manage to cram this much into a videogame and have it make cohesive sense. Almost every sidequest touches upon a philosophical work or concept to some degree, which is why it honestly has the best sidequests in videogames hands down. Not always the funniest quests, but all help build the world and the games themes.

So yea, i think you should absolutely give it a try

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I am like you. I do not watch anime. I do not like JRPGs. I am always very skeptical of over-enthusiastic anime fans whose tastes simply do not align with mine. I never thought the game would actually be good. I took no interest in it at all. Whenever people talked about it like one of the best games of the generation I judged them silently and assumed they had bad taste.

I tried it in September because I was looking for something different, it was only $20, and people I trusted had urged me to play it for some time. I decided to just try it to see what happened. I fully expected to hate it and have my biases confirmed that it was a bad game for people with juvenile taste.

I was deeply, profoundly, overwhelmingly wrong. I came away from Nier: Automata not only believing it is one of the best and most important games of the generation, but a textbook example of teachable game design and one of the most groundbreaking texts of the last decade. It is a very rare, very special, very intelligent piece of art that far exceeds its own promises.

I hesitate to say all this because I do not want to risk overhyping the experience. You may still not like it. But I was a very hard sell and someone who actively wanted to dislike the game and look at how I turned out. I believe you should play it.

It is crucially, crucially important you play routes A through E in their entirety to understand the full effect of the text and the entire scope of the game. The structure of the experience is very nontypical but you must complete this much to actually beat the game.

I think, even if you hate it, it is better to play it and hate it than to never try. The game is not perfect. There are elements of it I still find distasteful (2B needs tights very badly). But flaws and all it is ambitious, intelligent, and complex work.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
I do not like anime but I loved this game. The way 2B is dressed was off putting at first but just laugh and get over it and you're in for a pretty excellent game.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well, this scale got a chuckle out of me.

TMS is probably an 11 on the 10 point scale though.

I watched this immediately after posting, and absolutely agree a 10 was too low 😂

youtu.be

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Fire Emblem Song (English Lyrics) Drama's Light Marth & Fortuna All Stars

This video shos you the Fire Emblem song (Hikari no Gikyouku) of Tokyo Mirage Sessions with english lyrics (english version). Marth & Fortuna All Stars Genei...

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I kind of like it, but it's hella anime, people are lying to themselves thinking it's not.

Also don't expect the game to go deep into pjilosophivc contents.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I am like you. I do not watch anime. I do not like JRPGs. I am always very skeptical of over-enthusiastic anime fans whose tastes simply do not align with mine. I never thought the game would actually be good. I took no interest in it at all. Whenever people talked about it like one of the best games of the generation I judged them silently and assumed they had bad taste.

I tried it in September because I was looking for something different, it was only $20, and people I trusted had urged me to play it for some time. I decided to just try it to see what happened. I fully expected to hate it and have my biases confirmed that it was a bad game for people with juvenile taste.

I was deeply, profoundly, overwhelmingly wrong. I came away from Nier: Automata not only believing it is one of the best and most important games of the generation, but a textbook example of teachable game design and one of the most groundbreaking texts of the last decade. It is a very rare, very special, very intelligent piece of art that far exceeds its own promises.

I hesitate to say all this because I do not want to risk overhyping the experience. You may still not like it. But I was a very hard sell and someone who actively wanted to dislike the game and look at how I turned out. I believe you should play it.

It is crucially, crucially important you play routes A through E in their entirety to understand the full effect of the text and the entire scope of the game. The structure of the experience is very nontypical but you must complete this much to actually beat the game.

I think, even if you hate it, it is better to play it and hate it than to never try. The game is not perfect. There are elements of it I still find distasteful (2B needs tights very badly). But flaws and all it is ambitious, intelligent, and complex work.
Ya, I had the same type of turnaround on it. "My initial impressions of NieR Automata were profoundly wrong" is also the best way I can describe my experience with the game.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Anime stuff ain't something I seek out and I wouldn't say it was particularly anime-y.
It does has the same slightly nonsensically, bizarre, philiosophical, theological themes that are explored in other famous anime things.

I guess it depends on what you consider to be "Anime". It's Japanese and has the typical Japanese style characters.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
The story is very anime but the game as a whole feels like modern art with how it tells it's story.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it shouldn't stop you from liking it, but to hate an entire form of entertainment (anime) isn't normal and so it's difficult to say what you would and wouldn't enjoy. Did you say it's on GamePass? Just try it out and delete it if you hate it?

Oct 25, 2017
I would say it is pretty fucking anime, but not the anime people mean when they say "i hate anime".

Turns out there are a lot of different kind of anime.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I've played through the game multiple times and do not remember the exploding skirt stuff you guys are talking about at all

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Sometimes I don't get what people mean by 'anime'. Anime is a pretty broad subject. But around here, or most western side of the internet, it's about a very specific genre in anime.

Would you consider Yakuza anime? Because it's very much anime.
And Vanquish, No More Heroes, (older) Devil May Cry, etc. Those are all anime.

The same goes for NieR. It's anime.

To stay on topic: if you enjoy the prologue, give it a go.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Depends on what you don't like about anime, I guess.

Personally I'm not fond of 99% of anime, but I really liked Nier Automata. The game does have a lot of anime qualities to it but it also has some interesting stuff going on. Though, I wouldn't suggest pushing your way through if you're not digging it.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
No interest in Japanese RPGs or anime, but downloaded Nier through game pass and the prologue was fun although my anti anime sensors were ringing at times. At the same time it feels a bit "different". It's on the cusp for me and I'm wondering if I should invest a lot of time. Also reading an article that it goes for some ambitious philosophic concepts has me intrigued. Teaching a intro to philosophy class at college, and wouldn't mind a good mind bender while I do

should I continue? Again, don't like final fantasy, xenoblade, chrono trigger... I always give up on all of them!
No because the "philosophical" aspect that people talk is just superficial for people who study philosophy and like the subject.
I think the appeal is that mix with those anime aesthetic and type of narrative, I just lost my time because it's just barebones philosophy of any, I got really salty because of how whatever it's

Oct 27, 2017
You don't like JRPGs, even Chrono Trigger?......

I think chances are you will not like Nier Automata then, lol. But it's a cool game, might as well give it a shot.

But yea, you've been warned.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can we stop conflating games with elements of otaku aesthetic or narrative leaning with 'anime'? Great, cheers.

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Anime is really vague. Because you have stuff like Death Note and Cowboy Bebop on one hand but on the other hand you have the slice of life style animation. That's like saying you dislike western animation when you might just mean Disney stuff.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Maybe? I found it a little frustrating on the character development front, but it more than makes up for it with how it immerses you in its world - which evokes feelings of games like Ico, or The Last Guardian, with its melancholic ruined landscape more than it does Final Fantasy and the like.

If you think you'd enjoy something in the realm of post-apocalyptic future sci-fi, then I think you'd feel right at home. The soundtrack is gorgeous and memorable, the lore is rich with plenty of backstory, and the gameplay mechanics (which at times feel a little superficial) are stretched to accommodate some pretty interesting ideas and themes towards the end.

I'd say give it a shot. FWIW, I wouldn't consider it very anime at all, except, maybe on the character front, but the game held my attention all the way to the end.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
If your concern is waifushit, that influence doesn't really expand beyond the outfit design. It's plenty "anime" in other ways, but not in ways that I would consider seriously off putting to most non-anime fans.

And it is definitely different, Finale Fireworker explained it better than I possibly could.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
You've already played through the prologue, why not keep playing and find out for yourself?

The game wasn't anime at all to me.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
There's a whole lot of anime style melodrama, but outside of that and the character designs it's not really too overbearing in that respect.

KazeSim

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't feel too horribly anime to me but I can't speak for others.
For what it's worth, some of the various podcasts I listen to have hosts who have said they do not like anime before, but did enjoy Automata.
something that threw me off was I somehow blew off 2B's outfit. It's been a while so I don't know if it was from holding down both triggers, It doesn't matter. It took a few minutes to get her clothes back, I don't remember how but it was amusing./SPOILER]

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
What don't you like about anime? I mean, it's got a sexualized protagonist but there's no 'friendship was the strongest magic of all' stuff if that's the brush you're painting all of anime with.

Pretty much. Anime is not all one sub genre. I mean it varies wildly. If people can say something like Great Teacher Onizuka can be comparable to something like Trigun or even Berserk, it's just grossingly misrepresenting and generalizing a particular genre of art style for the sake of it.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
You're already playing it, so why not keep playing it and come to your own conclusion? Are you afraid it's going to bite?

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I mean it's an anime JRPG through and through but if you enjoyed the prologue, you'll enjoy the rest.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I really dislike anime tropes and yet Nier Automata is my game of the generation. They like to play around with tropes, lulling the player into a false sense of security before breaking the rules.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Title was like you actually hate japanese stuff a lot but post was more like "Meh, don't give much of a fuck to them" lmao

If you actually hate anime and this is not a hyperbole, there's a high chance you'll have a problem with Nier: Automata.

If you just have no interest about anime and aren't in a hate agenda or something, you can enjoy it based on the combat being fun or the plot being interesting.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anime can be everything, both Boku no Hero and Monster are anime, but you cant say they are the same.

Just play the game