• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love egypt, it's one of my favorite region of the world, and i love the discovery mode to explore the world, but as an open world map, i just find it pretty boring. I also didn't care about the main character. I also feel like the story wasn't that great...

I feel tho, that odyssey with vibrant color, a character you can pick ( i'll go with Cassandra all the way) and especially choices will be a huge changes, but i fear at the end it will be the same thing, just with a new skin.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Not one bit, I like Origin and I'm yet to bring myself to reinstall and actually continue Odyssey. All the complaints I heard are about the world being too big in an unnecessary way.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Odyssey is a very different game.

For instance as Mario you can turn into a lot of things with a throw of your cap changing up the game play in various ways that keeps things fresh

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Odyssey has better gameplay mechanics and slightly better writing. You might also like Kassandra more than Bayek.

It's also more bloated and if you didn't like the map in Origins then Odyssey's is considerably less interesting.

Mar 23, 2018
Maybe. I liked Odyssey more and finished its story. Never completed Origins. Didn't get very far. Combat is better IMO and environments and map more interesting.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's very similar but worse in some ways, better in others. Personally I loved origins and hated Oddysey, origins was verging on too big while Oddysey was too big and full of boring filler.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I got about 20 hours into Origins and quit out of boredom. I then went straight into Odyssey and spent around 120 hours playing and really enjoyed it. I found it was an improvement on just about every level, but YMMV.

Apr 3, 2018
I finally 100%-ed Origins about an hour ago. By the end of the DLC, I was praying for it to be over.

Can't imagine playing an AC game that's even larger and with more filler for a very long time.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I liked both but found Odyseey to be more enjoyable. I know people were not happy that you have to do side quests at times to progress and can't just mainline the game as quick as possible.

OP
OP
Alastor3

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wow I lot of divisive opinion here, i dont really know what to think now...

also i just realised i said ''world'' 3 times in the first sentence in the OP.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Couldn't stick with Origins at all. I loved Odyssey though.

Kass being a wonderful character helped a lot. The branching dialogue helped me a lot in being interested in the story. Even for the side quests.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Cass is great OP. Definitely one of my favorite protagonists in quite a while.

Odyssey has better gameplay mechanics and slightly better writing. You might also like Kassandra more than Bayek.

It's also more bloated and if you didn't like the map in Origins then Odyssey's is considerably less interesting.

Bingo. Agree with all of this. I will add that Odyssey has more interesting characters in general. I found everyone in Origins dreadfully boring.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Odyssey is a very different game.

For instance as Mario you can turn into a lot of things with a throw of your cap changing up the game play in various ways that keeps things fresh

2c2178480dab2085f6fbde02cb9e4749.jpg

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The majority of the differences between the two games are expressed through the story and the world setting. It very much depends on whether you like Ancient Greek stuff.

The story focused on an even earlier time period, very close to a time when the assassins were barely a thing. If that interests you.

Gameplay and mechanics are incredibly similar, making any differences between the two games in this regard not really relevant.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I dropped Origins after 10 hours but Odyssey was my #2 GOTY of 2018, ~70 hours, easy.

Didnt play the DLC though.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I liked both a lot.

Origins is the perfect amount of game. No part of it overstayed its welcome.

Odyssey is too much game. I also consider gear upgrades to be a real chore with the patches' increased level caps. The level capping at 50 was fine, but dumping resources into keeping my legendary gear relevant with my ever-increasing level began to piss me off after a while playing through the DLC.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I love egypt, it's one of my favorite region of the world, and i love the discovery mode to explore the world, but as an open world map, i just find it pretty boring. I also didn't care about the main character. I also feel like the story wasn't that great...

I feel tho, that odyssey with vibrant color, a character you can pick ( i'll go with Cassandra all the way) and especially choices will be a huge changes, but i fear at the end it will be the same thing, just with a new skin.
I feel like you'd prefer the map, the protagonist, and the story...But I don't know if that's enough for you to like it.

I never thought I'd like Odyssey and always thought I'd find Origins more interesting due to how much I prefer Egypt, but it turns out Odyssey has done a better job keeping me interested. I put down Origins a long time ago in favour of other games after about 16 hours, whereas I'm still very much invested in Odyssey at 30 hours.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I am currently playing Odyssey and it is love-hate relationship. World is beautiful to look at but 90% of the world has same PoI. Choices through the story are so far meh, I have yet to stop and think what to choose, I simply don't care. Game has tons of quests but they are almost all the same, basically after first 10h you saw 90% of things you will do in both main and side quests for the rest of the game. And story and writing are bit better that in Origins but I still don't care about anything that is happening in game, simply story didn't grab me and line delivery from booths Kassandra and NPCs ranges from mediocre to bad.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
imo it was a huge step up (though YMMV on the setting, it's a lot more same-y than Egypt). went in expecting Origins 1.5 but it really was a legit improvement in most regards

that said if you didn't like Origins i wouldn't bother. or maybe pick up Odyssey for ten bucks or whatever's 'cheap' for you

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
I found Origins decent but really enjoyed my time with Odyssey. I love the world and art style a lot more than I did in origins. Origins I had to rush my way to the end after 40 hours or so while in Odyssey I took my sweet time doing the side missions and enjoying the vistas and ended up clicking around 100 hours. Try Odyssey out!

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
If you love the Egyptian setting but hated Origins gameplay, I can't say that Odyssey will be any better for you.

Oct 25, 2017
Origins is better imo which shocked me because I grew up obsessed with Greek mythology and thought I'd love it. It's like 99% filler though. Origins is much better even if it does also have a ton of filler.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The two games have some big differences if you're a super fan, but nothing so big you'd be persuaded to like one over the other unless you just like Kassandra/Greece that much.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Origins was meh, in my opinion. Fine game that showcased newer consoles and the lighting when it hit the sand was perfect.

Odyssey was fucking great. Kassandra is basically an Amazonian Goddess who is tons of fun to play as. The story is interesting enough, but I really just spent 80 hours doing side stuff and have only completed the first 4-6ish chapters of the story, I think.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I am on the same boat. I have played 30 hours of origin maybe and haven't even unlocked whole map and hit level cap 40. Now I have no desire to even finish the story as it is in interesting and combat is boring.

Was hoping odyssey will be better

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey has a worse setting and ridiculous bloat.

It's depressing that Ubisoft have abandoned the Assassins creed franchise for mediocre RPGs.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
Probably not.

IMO, Origins and Odyssey have more things in common with each other than differences. Both games explore similar (if not the same) themes and their open worlds play similarly (although Odyssey's open world certainly iterates on Origins').

Odyssey's open world is much bigger than Origins. Compared to Origins, there are more interesting things to do in Odyssey's open world, but even so, it's the only open world game I've ever played where the world has felt *too* big.

Ship combat is also much more prominent in Odyssey than in Origins. And for what it's worth, I think Odyssey has more interesting DLC/expansion content compared to Origins.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has 50+ hours in both games, no. I enjoyed aspects of both, but if you played one and left it due to finding issues with it and are hoping the other one is "better" in some aspect, you will quickly be disappointed.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No probably not. Odyssey is different in things like the setting and characters, but in terms of gameplay it's largely similar with it really just being bigger. As much as I love the game, there is just way too much in it.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Origins is better imo which shocked me because I grew up obsessed with Greek mythology and thought I'd love it. It's like 99% filler though. Origins is much better even if it does also have a ton of filler.
Same here.

OP, if you like clearing the same types of camp and fort over and over and over again - for over 100 hours - with little variation in scenery or enemies, then you'll love Odyssey.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I finished Origins but dropped Odyssey after 15 hours. So no, you won't like it.