• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
My current theory is that mainline Half-Life titles will be traditional games while HL: Alyx sequels will be VR only.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
So Half-Life: Alyx is getting excellent reviews, with pretty much all of them saying that this is the first true must-play VR game and a revolution for the format in general. The game seems to do far more with the technology than any game has done before, and show that a traditional FPS can in fact be done, and made extremely unique in doing so. Now comes the big question of if it will succeed in sales, but all signs point to it being extremely popular.

So, might as well move to the theoretical game that has jumped back into the forefront of everyone's mind, Half-Life 3. Thirteen years since Episode 2, fans have been clamoring for a return of Gordon Freeman for years, and it seems likely that it's not much further away. But, Half-Life 1 and 2 were both revolutions in the FPS format, and there hasn't seemed to be anything that could take the genre further - until now, with VR, as Alyx has proven. Based upon that, do you expect that Half-Life 3 will be a VR exclusive? Or will Valve want the biggest game they will have released up until then to reach the widest possible audience?

After the reception this game is getting I think we can expect very good sales numbers, at least for being a VR game. Going back to a 2D game doesn't make sense now. What they need to do now is keep improving and evolving this formula even more.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
HL3 will only exist *if* VR justifies it. It makes no sense financially for them to invest that much in a single player non-VR exclusive.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
"If Half-Life: Alyx succeeds in sales, can we expect Half-Life 3..."

(giggles to himself)

VR will be too old for Half Life 3, Neural Link simulation will be too "been there, done that" for Half Life 3.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019

Current peak is 42k and I feel this tweet comes across somewhat ignorant. Gabe even mentioned in the recent interview that it's not about how much money it makes. This game is for providing that hype and breakthrough for VR as whole. If one sticks to traditional medium, then there will never be anything new. There were similar people, who mocked smart phones, saying that those were for the few rich/business/tech savvy people. Now it's an inseparable piece of tech in everybody's life. VR/AR devices of some form will become that, is what I strongly think, in the near future and Valve is contributing to it.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
There's an kotaku interview with them pretty much guaranteeing you wont see a HL game outside of VR. It had nothing to do with sales.
I hope this is true because Alyx is on another level. The best experience I've ever had with a game period. I honestly hope that this goes to PSVR so that they can have an opportunity to play it. The more that experience this, the better.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
What kind of bitter take is that? Did he think Valve wasn't aware of the size of the addressable market? Clearly they aren't all that focused on sales of the game alone.

He should have waited a few minutes, jumped up to 42k concurrent like someone above said. Which is straight up unprecedented for a PCVR game. I follow concurrent users constantly, and the highest I've seen before this was Boneworks at maybe 8k?

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I hope so. It'd be a big step backwards if it isn't.
This. By the time Half Life 3 releases, if it ever does, VR hardware will likely have cracked some of it's most important improvements. Things like eye-tracking and foveated rendering, body tracking and hand-tracking. The leap from Alyx to 3 will be just as big as 2 to Alyx, if Valve play their cards right.

On the other hand, the leap from Alyx to a traditional Half Life 3 in say 5 years just isn't... I mean where can you really go with it, especially at a time where other VR FPS titles will have their own improvements over Alyx.

I hope not.
I don't think the VR install base will suddenly get bigger anyway.

But yeah, "both" is a good alternative. But keep Gordon's adventures playable with KB+M, he should have a different toolset from Alyx.
Not suddenly, no. However we're talking at least 4 years of development time, and that's if they start tomorrow.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Absolutely not. How many of the VR headsets are out there? Let's say Alyx sells 1 million units, which I'm guessing is high. Let's triple that for Half-Life 3 just for the sake of the argument. Even if Valve only released Half-Life 3 on PC sans VR requirement, don't we think it would easily outsell that? And if it released on PS5 and XSX, assuming they quality is high, isn't a conservative number like 12 million?

I just don't see how it's worth it unless they really wanted to drive sales of VR. Tying it to HL3 seems like a huge mistake. But who knows 🤷‍♂️
It has nothing to do with worth for them. They aren't a standard game company where they have to chase units sold. They're most likely to do a project because it excites them. Keep in mind that ONE cs go crate very likely brings in more than most full games in revenue. They ain't hurtin for money.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
God I hope not. I actually want to play the game. I cannot stand VR, I keep trying it hoping to 'get' it but then realize I like to relax in a chair playing my games and actually moving around with clunky equipment on my face.
You can relax in a chair with VR, and it won't be clunky by the time Half Life 3 actually released.

This is what people need to realize; technology, amazingly progresses.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Now calculate how much this game has pushed VR mindshare, index sales and Steam VR. Individual sales do not matter for Valve, just how fast they can push the medium forward.
Yeah finally a big company that is trying to push the medium forward instead of making the next GaaS loot shooter money grab and still a lot of people complain. It's really shitty. I hate this sentiment.

I get that some people have problems with VR. Like uncomfortable to use, getting motion sick, too expensive, too fiddly.

But all of these things won't get worked on if VR isn't pushed farther. A game like Alyx will help to spread VR more and if VR is growing, problems will get solves more quickly, hardware will become cheaper and more devs will be interested in offering (optional) VR content.

@topic: I am really not sure about Half-Life 3. Making it non-VR would be a huge downgrade to what we have now. But making Half-Life 3 non-VR and Alyx 2 VR also makes sense.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope there's a traditional version, but I'll respect Valve's decision on this one and if they stick with VR only hopefully it's good enough that it makes VR something I can't afford to miss in the future

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
You can relax in a chair with VR, and it won't be clunky by the time Half Life 3 actually released.

This is what people need to realize; technology, amazingly progresses.
Still too much movement for my tastes. Realize that I even consider gyro aiming to be terrible. I know I'm not representative of everyone but still.

Oct 30, 2017
I hope this is true because Alyx is on another level. The best experience I've ever had with a game period. I honestly hope that this goes to PSVR so that they can have an opportunity to play it. The more that experience this, the better.

Yeah, I've been holding out until PS5 and PSVR2 to get into VR. I have to imagine they would put it on that. Is it on all VR platform stores?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Now calculate how much this game has pushed VR mindshare, index sales and Steam VR. Individual sales do not matter for Valve, just how fast they can push the medium forward.
Personally, on social media I only see people talk about Animal Crossing and to a lesser extent, Doom.

I don't have the feeling that it has had a great impact on the general public.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Valve is a company with foresight, and they aren't necessarily looking to pump out a game for MASS SALES and REVENUE. because lets be honest, they have steam to keep their pockets filled, which opens them up for creative freedom and do interesting products. So in my mind I see them do another VR game to raise the bar even more within that medium, in combination with future headsets just to push the VR medium forward.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It has nothing to do with worth for them. They aren't a standard game company where they have to chase units sold. They're most likely to do a project because it excites them. Keep in mind that ONE cs go crate very likely brings in more than most full games in revenue. They ain't hurtin for money.

While I get what you are saying, and I agree Valve is unique in the industry, I don't think they would justify spending the budget to produce a full Episode 3, let alone HL3, spending one would presume AAA levels of money and resources, to then relegate it to a niche market of their VR ecosystem which might not even make up the budget. It's all conjecture, but if they don't limit the game development I worry it would lose money or maybe break even. If they don't care about money, which I mean part of the reason they've made some of the choices they have seems to be because of the financial benefits, they still have to consider the fan reaction.

Ultimately if you want to ignore everything I've said before, I believe it would be hubris to create the conclusion to one of the most beloved trilogies in modern gaming to the still nascent VR segment of the industry after almost 15 years of waiting for the story to be concluded. Especially after The Orange Box seemed to give hopes to "everybody" that the series was expanding its presence to be available to as many people as possible.

Like, imagine if Sony made TLOU 2 exclusive to PSVR. That doesn't even encapsulate the HL3 scenario, but I don't think many people would believe it was a smart decision even irrespective of money.

Now a DLC/Episode of TLOU with the PSVR and new 3D audio would be absolutely terrifying and incredible, lol.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Still too much movement for my tastes. Realize that I even consider gyro aiming to be terrible. I know I'm not representative of everyone but still.
Well that might be a problem with Half-Life knowing it would involve movement. But I think people always overestimate how much movement motion controls involves - it's not much if the game doesn't go crazy with it.

You said that you are basically incompatible with VR for this reason. That can't be true longer term though, because VR allows you to be seated and use a gamepad, and will have fixed it's clunykness at some point.

So maybe motion controlled VR games might not be your thing, but gamepad VR definitely seems applicable, at least with more comfort improvements.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It just released a few hours ago. That's not really a fair comparison.
It is not just now, it is the months before. People were anxious about those two games, they made memes, there was noise in social media. You could know that the games were coming even without being a gamer.

I only read about Alyx on sites like this one dedicated to video games. I daresay I saw more noise with AstroBot.

Oct 27, 2017
It is not just now, it is the months before. People were anxious about those two games, they made memes, there was noise in social media. You could know that the games were coming even without being a gamer.

I only read about Alyx on sites like this one dedicated to video games. I daresay I saw more noise with AstroBot.
It got a ton of attention when it was announced. Not sure you could miss it.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
After that final shot, theres zero chance its not VR

Oct 26, 2017
There is still a lot of innovation to be made in VR, I don't think Valve wants anything to do with non-VR since it won't be pushing the industry forward

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
We can absolutely expect HL 3 to be a VR game already

Watch the latest Gabe interview by IGN.

They know that sales wont be amazing due to the low user base in VR. They are interested in the reception from reviewers and etc.

And the reception couldnt possible be better

So yeah, expect HL 3 to be a VR game, whenever it releases

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
The company that's all about chasing currently hot trends like MOBAs or card battlers isn't about to restrict its own market that much.
I think that they really found their footing with VR, imo VR is not a trend it's just too expensive to have mass appeal, but once costs go down there would be a great demand for titles like Alyx.