• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I'm re-watching some of the videos that were released this week and, my god, the gameplay looks so good. The mechanics and interactivity are second to none. A part of me wishes there will be a way to extend my time with the game beyond the campaign and that lead me to wondering about multiplayer. Multiplayer in VR is pretty awesome and the shooting looks like it will be the best in the biz.

So, could Half Life: Alyx and multiplayer be a matchmade in heaven?

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they'll be some multiplayer mods eventually.

As for something official from Valve? If they continue on with their focus on VR software I'm sure they'll do a VR focused multiplayer game eventually.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would be surprised if Valve didn't have something in mind, akin to how Counter-Strike: Source was in development alongside Half Life 2.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see a side story (1-4 hours long, or so) that has coop, but the players are kind of playing different "areas" in the level simultaneously, but they have to work together so they can both progress. Something like "streets of City 17" style in HL2, or in Episode 1, where Alyx helps to cover Gordon with sniper fire while he makes his way across a bridge. I think that would just be great in VR, and it could still be played solo because the "jobs" the 2nd player does can be easily simulated.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I'd doubt it. I haven't seen much of an indication that they are interested in the multiplayer aspects of VR. At least competitive ones that require a consistent playerbase.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Never say never. Half Life 2: Deathmatch came shortly after HL2. It'll be hard to do a VR game like this unless you force all players on the same movement style. You can't really have smooth moving players trying to take down players who zip around the map with teleport.

OP
OP
DjDeathCool

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Never say never. Half Life 2: Deathmatch came shortly after HL2. It'll be hard to do a VR game like this unless you force all players on the same movement style. You can't really have smooth moving players trying to take down players who zip around the map with teleport.
Yeah, I've thought about that. An unfortunate reality. Maybe have different lobbies for different control styles?

I would be surprised if Valve didn't have something in mind, akin to how Counter-Strike: Source was in development alongside Half Life 2.
Yeah, I was kind of wondering that myself. If they don't have some sort of Ace up their sleeve for multiplayer later in the year. Sort of like a one-two punch... I'd doubt it'd be Counter Strike since Pavlov exists... but I would enjoy seeing what a Counter Strike VR title could look like with some budget.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I would love it if they did, HL2 mp was so much fun with the gravity gun. Death by flying toilet :P

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
more like, the VR optimizations for Source 2 could be employed in future VR software, multiplayer or otherwise. I don't have any intel on the matter, but my guess is, we'd be more likely to get an existing multiplayer franchise in VR (CS:VR, L4D) before we saw HL get an official multiplayer fork. in particular, I don't see HL:A's Gravity Gloves porting well to multiplayer.