• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would You Purchase PSVR to Play Half-Life: Alyx?

• Yes

Votes: 265 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 256 49.1%

• Total voters

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would never be a PS4 VR game. So I think the question here is, what happens come November 2020 if the PS5 launches with Alyx?

Valve has stated that they would prefer to compete in hardware by features rather than software so if the ps5 has a psvr2 this is a real possibility as was the The Orange Box and cs: go on consoles. also having source2 on ps5 would help sell the engine.

I'll add to this by saying every major Half-Life related game has come to consoles.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Sony should make a self contained all in one be kit similar to Oculus Quest, with the ability to connect it to ps4,5 and pc.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i threw down a (relatively) absurd amount of money to play skyrim psvr because of the stupid timed exclusivity bs. i couldn't wait

so hypothetically i'd think HL not-3 would have a similar effect. but a hypothetical among hypotheticals as it won't be a possibility til psvr2

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will Valve port it? Maybe, It wouldn't help their main competitors at Oculus, and getting VR in the hands of more people means more headsets being purchased down the line on PC too. It's just that the hardware isn't currently there on the console side. But PS5 relaunching PSVR with Alyx? Maybe bundled with decent moves with analogs? I can totally see that.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If Alyx lives lives up to the initial teaser, it will be fatally compromised on PSVR. Even with PS5's graphics, PSVR is too far behind on finger tracking and movement tracking.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Now that i think about it, i doubt ps4 would run it. I imagine theres some heavy physics for the little cpu.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
Nah, I've got an Oculus for my PC. I'll play it there. Feels right to play Half-Life on PC anyway.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Never played Half Life and have no history with the game, so no. I do, however, already own a PSVR. So if it came PSVR I'd definitely consider jumping in for the first time.

Laurel_McFang

Feb 17, 2019
This was an over confident Valve who had a near monopoly & only had to worry about Blizzard in the PC market place, 2019 Valve has had one of their key games bomb & have got serious competttion by Sony/Facebook in the VR market & Tencent in the Digital PC market, I don't think you will see Valve return to Consoles for a long time.

I don't have the quote on me, but Gaben once spoke something along the lines that software exclusives are bad for gamers and that he thinks hardware developers need to compete by features and not by gating quality content to a platform. So while you have a point that Valve has serious competition, the company has consistently held to no exclusives on Steam preferring to focus on making their client the selling point. It is possible in other words that Half-Life Alyx could end up even on the quest store. As for Artifact failing it's not Steam's first failure https://store.steampowered.com/app/60/Ricochet/ Ricochet bombed and Day of Defeat has paused in development. I think Valve might have learned from Artifact: cash grabs on existing highly profitable mobile game genres is not what their fans want. Dota Underlords is similarly underwhelming and IMHO a failure on Valve's part to see where their core strengths lie.

edit: of note Dota 2 and Artifact are Steam exclusive so you might be correct that they have recanted on no exclusives to steam.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I would if the image quality is good enough compared to the PC solution

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Across the internet there is excitement for the game, but also a good percentage of people complaining that they don't want to shell out the money for a VR set to play the new Half-Life title. These conversations are typically PC dominant since the game is only releasing there. However, I've been curious as to how Playstation gamers feel about it. If the game was announced for PSVR as well, or in the future, would you be willing to give PSVR a try for the game?

I know there are other good PSVR games like Moss and Astro Bot, so would Alyx push you over the edge? I know PSVR is one of the biggest reasons the VR market grew last year.

EDIT; To explain further. When I say "or in the future," I'm referring to PSVR2.

I already have a PSVR, so I'm already in, but I would definitely like to play it on PSVR2.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
PsVR doesn't have the kind of hand tracking needed for it. But sure if I already had a ps4 capable of playing the game in all its glory, and it had a headset with good hand tracking. Then yes, I'd probably get it.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
PSVR2 most likely will not launch with PS5, but what if Sony releases new VR controllers with the new console? With PSVR already confirmed to work with PS5, I'm sure Half-Life: Alyx would be more then good enough.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
From what I understand the game has minimum system reqs that exceed capabilities of Pro, let alone base PS4, so, if PSVR happens, it'll be for the next gen console with new controller scheme, and even then, Valve has never been happy with how console storefronts were handled in the past. There's a lot of ifs on a way of HL:A on PSVR and I guess Sony would have to engage in a backroom politics to get it if they want it. On the other hand Valve wants to grow VR market, so, if tech is there they might do it regardless...or not.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Already have psvr so it would make me not buy a pc set as soon.

Id want to see the graphics in good form tho so it may spur me along to get a ps5 and use it w my psvr1.

The move controllers are basic but they actually work pretty well most the time. You see alot of people talk about them like they are awful but think about it: if they didnt work right would you even be able to enjoy beat saber? Superhot? Dreams? Space pirate trainer? Those games wouldnt be very enjoyable if the moves were so bad.

The reason you see a lot of people talk about the Move controllers as though they are awful, is because they comparatively are awful. They work somewhat ok for games designed to be primarily forward facing, and where general position and momentum without much intricacy is all that's required, but they are terrible in a vast array of not exactly uncommon VR scenarios.

Basic stuff like being held in front of the headset can cause the headset itself to track poorly. They have no dedicated grip button, in a medium where holding shit in your hands and letting them go is interaction 101. They lack any form of navigation controls (stick, trackpad), meaning that free locomotion (which a game like Alyx is going to be extremely dependent on) ends up mapping to weird "point/tilt to move" gestures, which needs to basically be toggled against standard hand tracked actions.

The Move controllers are the VR equivalent on playing FPS games with a dpad and shoulder buttons. Some games will still be enjoyable that way, but they are awful for the task. Games that are designed with PSVR in mind from the start (like say Borderlands 2 VR) often end up crippled across all VR platforms due to the concessions made to make them Move/Dualshock playable.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If PSVR2 is an actual improvement (headset AND controllers) I can't see why they wouldn't port it.
Would be fun to see it being announced together with the unveiling of PSVR2

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I have zero interest in any game from Valve until they stop screwing with Half Life fans and directly resolve the cliffhanger, regardless of what platform it's on. Don't post that mealy-mouthed FAQ response from Valve either.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I have PSVR, and ill definitely buy PS5 anyway, just create new controllers that are more in line with the PCVR controllers and im ready, although i am not sure if they will do it.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I already have a PSVR but if I didn't I would buy one. Will also buy PSVR2 whenever that comes out.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
If i didn't own 3 PC VR headsets and a good computer i would buy a mid-range PC and a Rift S before touching a PSVR again. No offense to people like it i didn't at all i returned it less than 24 hours. Tracking is way too bad for me.

And unless PSVR 2 goes the Rift S/Quest route with cameras in the headset with a controller with more than a rubber ball on it i would be tempted. Depending on the hardware and the quality of the headset (resolution, framerate, FOV)

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Lmao no. Device is expensive. Won't pay until it's around the $60-$80 range which is never.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Well if it's just a glorified tech demo or something a bit more substantial I suppose. We don't really know anything about it.
We already know that it will have roughly the same length as HL2 and Valve already put out a tech demo in the form of The Lab. It's a full-blown AAA VR blockbuster.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Given how inferior many VR experiences are on PSVR (and I say that as a very happy PSVR owner), I'd be inclined to say no, I would not want a cut-down premiere VR game for PSVR. Stuff like Arizona Sunshine and Killing Floor: Incursion had to be cut down by ridiculous amounts in order to work with the limited control scheme offered by the PS Move controllers and unidirectional light-based tracking. It lacks precision, responsiveness, and intuitive design.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
We already know that it will have roughly the same length as HL2 and Valve already put out a tech demo in the form of The Lab. It's a full-blown AAA VR blockbuster.

Where have they said this about the length? I was expecting maybe episode 1/episode 2 sort of length. 4-5 hours or so.

Last edited:

elio

alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I don't think the controls would be good enough, so no. I'll wait until I'm the position to go all in on VR.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
PSVR2? Yes please.
PSVR? Please don't.

I love my PSVR but this game would be dumbed down and scaled back too much for it to be playable.

But for PSVR2 I'd buy it instantly. Don't have the cash to buy a PC and a headset and honestly I don't want two headsets anyway.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Move controllers are awful at tracking. They're barely usable for "serious" applications.

if this game isn't built around the assumption of room scales 360 tracking and precision controllers like knuckles then it would undo all the progress and expansion of VR tech Valve have been focused in since before the 1st Vive was announced. Anyone that thinks different is deluding themselves about Valves stance on VR
For those who don't remember just as oculus was getting ready for prime time valve shows up with lighthouse tech and boom the suddenly solid oculus launch was undermined. Touch was a great step up from the Vive wands, but knuckles appear to knock those out the park (which it should do for the length of time between release)
Oculus has got outside in tracking down now with Quest and Rift S and don't need the room sensors of old (though not as precise as lighthouse it's workable tech)
Oculus have done wonders for studio funding, getting the tech in peoples hands and innovating with software rendering solutions Valve flat out insisted originally shouldn't be used (ASTW anyone) - yes Facebook is evil - and now John Carmack has moved on mostly and now just advises it will be interesting to see how the company develops

PSVR current gen headset can do 180 tracking at best with its single camera and lights on the headset. The biggest let down is the move tracking though, it's old repurposed tech. It works, just. It's not solid or precise like other technologies, but let's skip graphics and processing for a second. Without a huge step up on tracking PlayStation VR and moves isn't going to cut it, even on a PS5. Even if they settle for the PSVR headset which to be honest has decent image quality it's the 360 tracking and precision motion controllers that would be the biggest problem

until Sony solve that problem any other discussions aren't worth worrying about. We know from the patents they haven't been doing nothing, but it was 2012 when move launched

you want Half life Alyx? Then hope Sony get a new motion controller / tracking solution out for PS5 in the 1st year or accept that PSVR2 is the only possibility (which won't be year 1 or 2 of PS5 else they wouldn't have made such a big thing about V1 working with PS5)

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I can't see modern Valve making another console port.
Valve is interested in growing VR market and if Sony develops a workable tech they might reconsider their stance, as flat gaming goes though, they're in a position where they can skip console releases if they want to, Valve isn't exactly bleeding for money.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
if PSVR was my only option at the time I would wait and save for PCVR or Quest.

HL: Alyx would be incredibly compromised if it were to release on PSVR even if the PS4 power wasnt a problem

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I've been thinking about this exact thing for the past few days and my answer is... I might.
I'd rather not invest in a VR setup on PC, but the investment for PS VR is much lower and I would love to give this a try.

So while I'm not entirely convinced yet (I mean, the game just got announced), I would definitely consider it.

I can see it happening too btw. I don't think it's far fetched that they'll bring it over to PS5 and whatever the folow up to PS VR will be. Valve and Sony seemed to be on good terms in the past as well (for example the Steam integration in the PS3 version of Portal 2), so I'm hopeful. And that way they'd still have about a year of Steam exclusivity as well.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Idk...would psvr still make me want to puke? Then yeah I would probably skip.

If people I know who are also sensitive and prone to vomit from VR buy one and it doesn't trigger that? Then I will pull the trigger. So PSVR needs a revision or two first for me. Certainly not in it's current state.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Would be awful with PSVR due to limited tracking space and the Move controllers. A potential next-gen PSVR would be required.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Not needing to spend well over a grand for the right PC + PCVR headset combo would make a purchase more likely for sure.

But I don't even know if I could do VR anyway, let alone have space for it, so a lower price to entry is only one hurdle cleared.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
PSVR is in an awkward in-between level of VR currently. It's really good for sitting experiences that mainly plays using the DualShock controller (Astro Bot and RE7) and it is also the most comfortable headset making it really good for long term play.

But its PS Move controllers and cone/conditions of tracking are subpar making room-scale experiences suffer/impossible.

We need a PSVR2 baseline for HL:A.