• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is the Open Critic / Meta Critic top 6 list better than the TGA GOTY nominations?

• Yes - I like this one better

Votes: 597 62.5%
  • No - I like the TGA's nominations better

Votes: 358 37.5%

• Total voters

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
It's a nice, varied list for sure, but I still think Death Stranding deserves some recognition. "Mixed reception" on OC/MC isn't really indicative of overall value.

It could have come any year, but we really needed a game like that (especially one with blockbuster appeal and AAA clout) to remind us it's not all bad.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
The organisator of the second list isnt in any of the Nominees from Opencritic, so its objectively better than the TGA one.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think your list just shows how much of a circle jerk games media is. Like "member berry" games get an extra 50+ reviews, 'member Resident Evil? Devil May Cry? 'member Zelda?

Last edited:

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
DMC, Sekiro and RE2?

Hell yes, it's a better list. Disco Elysium is a nice addition as well.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Not sure for Iceborn, but you have to play through the entirety of FFXIV to get to ShadowBringers. That's a massive investment of time and imo the reviews as such would be skewed to people that already play and enjoy FFXIV. It's not a level playing field for an expansion.
Is that supposed to be some excuse? Hope you remember this when you'll vote the last of us part 2 which absolutely will require you to play the first game.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
DMC and Disco Elysium deserve it over Death Stranding and Outer Wilds imo

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually surprised that I agree with the TGA list more. There's only one title from OC's top 6 that I liked, RE2, the rest are either stuff I wasn't interested in or played and didn't find great.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd want Disco Elysium on there, but I don't want to remove Death Stranding. Rats.

Ryugarr

Dec 6, 2018
This is the most boring possible way to try and reward art.

Also, Mario Maker should retroactively be deducted points for Nintendo's complete lack of support.
That doesn't even make sense. It was literally deducted points during the time of the reviews for missing support. These games are reviewed as is.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Of course it's better. Disco Elysium not being in the GOTY category stinks. How can it be near universally praised with open/metacritic of 90 and not be in the running? Doesn't make any sense. Make no mistake this is a popularity contest, not the game awards.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Yes, DMC V is great game.

This list still lack Outer Wilds, but I think is a bit better.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
No, but honestly, Death Stranding was always going to sell well, even if it was 50 hours of Kojima making fart noises at the camera. C'mon.
I mean we aren't talking sales though. This is an award based on critical reception. Critically, it was a risk to develop a AAA game with a core loop this different. Proven by the varied reviews.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Before I even argue back I'd love to hear your reasons for why it's not?
It would be risky if it was at least challenging, but even casual players will be able to hold L2+R2 and walk straight (well not always straight but whatever) from one cutscene to another. Plus you have Hollywood stars which will sell the game to a lot of people.

Death Stranding is an easy AAA blockbuster which rewards you for not engaging in any fights, has 9 hours of cutscenes out of 32-35 hours needed for a story playthrough and has boss fights that lack any depth. Compare it to the game where you are an ape and are trying to survive.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Metacritic and OpenCritic are some of the worst things that happened to the gaming business. So no, totally ignore them.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It would be risky if it was at least challenging, but even casual players will be able to hold L2+R2 and walk straight (well not always straight but whatever) from one cutscene to another. Plus you have Hollywood stars which will sell the game to a lot of people.

Death Stranding is an easy AAA blockbuster which rewards you for not engaging in any fights, has 9 hours of cutscenes out of 32-35 hours needed for a story playthrough and has boss fights that lack any depth. Compare it to the game where you are an ape and are trying to survive.
1) The game doesn't reward you for not engaging in fights, rewards you for not LETHALLY engaging in fights

2) making a game challenging isn't risk taking. Making a game with an entirely new gameplay loop centered around traversal and inventory management is, considering most other games relegate that to the side AND those aspects are among the most disliked features of contemporary open world games

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Much, much better.

I can see why reviewers would vote for Death Stranding. However, I don't see how DMCV, Three Houses and Disco Elysium got near-universal praise (and got 11/127, 10/101 and 5/47 perfect reviews respectively) and yet all three of them got snubbed while Outer Worlds and Control (and got 6/125 and 6/126 perfect reviews) managed to get in above these three.

Last edited:

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
The one thing that rubs me the wrong way looking at that list is the amount of reviews for each game. Hopefully, I'll get to Disco Elysium before the end of the year, but Slay the Spire not getting enough love might be due to lack of reviews (as it's an indication that a lot of outlets did not play it.

EDIT: Looked at my GOTY, Outer Wilds, and it only have 40 reviews. No wonder it's not on the GOTY list.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
1) The game doesn't reward you for not engaging in fights, rewards you for not LETHALLY engaging in fights
You can skip all BT sections by holding R1 or you can waste your time fighting them, how is this not rewarding? And later on you just press square and kill everybody in one second and even get rewards for it

Second point is fair but we have games about traversal (Assassin's Creed) and inventory management (any looter shooter where people spend more time in the inventory than shooting stuff). If anything, this game makes fetch quests feel more fun than any other game but even that is debatable for me personally.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
It's a better list for me personally, but an even more flawed way to determine winners than the one TGA is using.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
10 members of a Jury give game A the same score of 9/10.

8 members of the Jury give game B a 10/10, 2 give only 4/10.

Game A has a better average than game B (9 vs 8,8)

In your opinion game A should win GOTY? Even though 8/10 jury members think game B was the best game?

It is ridiculous.

If Death Stranding was a multiplat game, there wouldn't be all this discussions.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
You can skip all BT sections by holding R1 or you can waste your time fighting them, how is this not rewarding? And later on you just press square and kill everybody in one second and even get rewards for it

Second point is fair but we have games about traversal (Assassin's Creed) and inventory management (any looter shooter where people spend more time in the inventory than shooting stuff). If anything, this game makes fetch quests feel more fun than any other game but even that is debatable for me personally.
BTs are.... literally a stealth section though.

Mules, you are rewarded for knocking them all out as you can loot the camp with ease

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean I like this list more on average, but I don't think it'd be a good idea to give recognition to games based purely on their average review score. The high review scores themselves are recognition as well, in a way.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
I'm not a fan of measuring worth and art by critical scores. Some great games go underappreciated and some medicore games get inflated scores. However this list includes Fire Emblem so I shall allow it.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tenor.gif

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
This is the most boring possible way to try and reward art.
Seems a very suitable way to select nominations IMO, then winners can be picked from such a list.

10 members of a Jury give game A the same score of 9/10.

8 members of the Jury give game B a 10/10, 2 give only 4/10.

Game A has a better average than game B (9 vs 8,8)

In your opinion game A should win GOTY? Even though 8/10 jury members think game B was the best game?

It is ridiculous.
Who said win? It's about a list of nominations.

Last edited:

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Metacritic splits scores up with platforms. Open Critic puts all platform scores unified in one main score. Makes more sense to me (and a lot of other people).

If I were to simply look at the PS4 versions of multiplatform games, there wouldn't be much of a difference though.

Also Metacritic weights publications based on stature (IGN review has a greater impact on the average than a less well known site)