• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Given the choice...

• cure cancer

Votes: 627 54.4%
  • solve world hunger

Votes: 526 45.6%

• Total voters

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking the other day about the hilarious Opening Act of Saints Row 4 where your character becomes president and in a parody of "choices" in videogames the very first plot choice the game presents you is choosing between signing a Bill that would find the cure of cancer or one to end world hunger.

Now, like all these sort of threads, let's say you're presented with this choice, the logistics of it don't matter, they just work, Cancer would be gone or every single person in the world would have access to nutritious food, for free, any time, forever. It doesn't matter which one you choose, lives would be saved for it, but what you don't choose will still be a world problem.

What do you choose? Why?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
cure cancer

the world hunger can be actually addressed on a really tangible way today.

we have stuck on a cancer cure for decades.

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017
Hunger easily. We all die and get diseases, but dying and suffering of hunger is a huge inequity that has no reason to exist.

Oct 28, 2017
If your goal is to save lives, the obvious answer is world hunger. Food is a basic need for survival. Food being readily available doesn't only save lives. It also advances civilization as more people can be freed from doing agriculture/ranching work.

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
We may never be able to cure cancer outright, there are obvious solutions for ending world hunger even if it's unlikely to happen, so I'd cure cancer.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
We could already cure world hunger... It would require deposing despots and controlling the distribution chains, but there is definitely enough food to go around if we willed it to be so.

Cancer on the other hand is not a monolith, what works treatment-wise for one type of cancer does jack shit against another, and so on.

So "curing cancer" would be the obvious choice.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Hunger. Hunger kills a lot more young people than cancer (I would imagine). Also more people not dying from hunger means more people trying to figure out cancer.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Cancer. It's something that ends so many lives early and we still haven't found a cure or really effective treatment.

World hunger doesn't need some magic to fix, it could literally be solved today, just needs to will to achieve it.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Starvation affects more people, is (and will be even more so) the source of more strife in the world but is more solvable right now than cancer.

But I'm going with starvation if it means that one of them must persist.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Cancer without question. Hunger is 100% curable now. Cancer isn't.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
We actually have the ability to end world hunger, people are simply too greedy to actually do anything about it or, when people do do something about it, too greedy to not try to profit off of it. We might someday get that under control.

There's no guarantee that there is a cure for cancer, let alone that we'll find it.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Can I hold the cure for cancer hostage until the world gets its shit together and solves world hunger?

Oct 28, 2017
So many people in here saying we already have fixes for world hunger are very wrong. Food is traded. Even if we have a surplus, it doesn't mean it is distributed to the needy. Many people around the world are not within proximity to resources that assist. Many people are trapped in less opportunistic situations because of the lack of food. Many nations are less influential or advanced because of the lack of food. Why would you ever try and cure an obscure disease instead of the most important thing you need to survive?

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
easily hunger. eliminating food insecurity would be massive for the developing world and would have large positive side-effects for those economies

curing cancer might also have positive knock-on effects beyond just saving lives though, not familiar enough to say.

Oct 30, 2017
Hunger could be dealt it, but I don't trust humankind to ever do it, so hunger it is.

Cancer at least attracts research and money since it affects rich people.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
People can at least beat Cancer and they are trying to come up with ways to beat it, but you can't beat hunger. Also yeah, numbers.

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how much people's position in life affects their answer here. If you're living in a well-developed nation with even basic income, you don't have much fear of starving. But the looming threat of cancer is always above you. Cancer kills indiscriminately. Seems like that is a big reason for people's decision and less so how many people would actually be benefited, not only just by surviving, but improving nations.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Cancer, simply because we could actually stop world hunger right now if we'd pull our heads out of our asses

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
cancer because I am selfish and cancer might affect people close to me, hunger won't.
I also believe that if we solved hunger it would be back sooner or later as it's a political problem, cancer once cured will be gone for good.

Deleted member 55445

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
I can't even remember the choice I picked in game but I played it years ago so my views have probably changed since then. It's a matter of population mostly. If you cure either one of them the population will keep climbing and we'd have to expand to other planets eventually. Also the specifics complicate the question further. Would cancer just not exist anymore or would it still occur but there would be an easy cure for it? The hunger problem could be solved by expanding to other worlds. So curing cancer would be far more useful in an ideal world where we've already mastered space travel and can just keep growing food and feeding people all over the galaxy.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Hunger "can already be addressed" doesn't mean people care enough to put a plan in order to actually fix it.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Depends. Cancer isn't just one thing. Cancer is a combination of lots of illnesses and diseases that cause the dormant cancer cells in your body to go wack. So curing cancer, actually cures a lot of other things.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Cancer has, as far as we know, no solution yet. World hunger is solvable through already existing technology and policies. While I doubt it would ever actually be implemented, it could be implemented in the future if people come together. Whereas no matter how much people come together, cancer could simply have no cure. I'd choose cancer for that reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Hunger, easily.
I think the effect it has on children and development is huge and the world would be a vastly different place if every kid could grow up food secure

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
World Hunger because it will always be an issue. I believe one day we will be over the cancer hurdle, maybe not soon, but one day we will. You guys picking cancer sure are confident about humanity being all around good and helping with world hunger and not resorting to the "fuck you, got mine" mentality we see everyday.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
The world would advance so much and very quickly if no one worried about hunger. Cancer would probably be cured within a decade.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Hunger. Hunger is way easier to do, but it also causes a lot more death than cancer.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
world hunger. various forms of cancers already have cures and treatments and there is tons of funding being put into it.
Solving world hunger could be done by a single billionaire, yet no one gives a fuck.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Cancer, simply because we could actually stop world hunger right now if we'd pull our heads out of our asses

Eradicating world hunger would involve much more than economic and military policy changes. Humanity would have to take a real hard look at population control. Which also ties directly into Climate Change.

So I expect nothing to change with hunger.