• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which type of location do you prefer when relocating to your next well-paid job?

• Don't want to relocate / Other options (Please specify in comments.)

Votes: 17 4.2%
  • Rural area / Just you and the mountain hillside

Votes: 28 6.8%
  • Rural, but developed, area / Sparse, extremely low-density residential area

Votes: 45 11.0%
  • Small town / Low-density residential area

Votes: 35 8.6%
  • Mid-town / Suburban area / Mid-density residential area

Votes: 119 29.1%
  • Small City / Downtown / High-density residential area

Votes: 61 14.9%
  • Inner City / Commercial area / City Tourist Attraction / Extremely-high residential area

Votes: 104 25.4%

• Total voters

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Supposedly you received an offer from a company you have interviewed extensively and you have given them great impressions. It is a great place to start your next career, and you felt at ease with everything you had before all of this.

However, this company is located pretty far away from you. They provided you a free relocation assistance package with no limitations, since you are very qualified for this job.

Are you the type of person who would prefer living in a place where there's hardly any neighbors near you? Are the type who prefers living in a bustling area? Do you prefer a quaint easy lifestyle that's just near the edge of the city, but close enough that you still get to experience the downtown district? All of these options all depends on what type of location you prefer to relocate to.

Which type of location do you prefer to relocate to for your new role?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
grew up in the Bronx, but lived the last 15 years in the suburbs. After working in Manhattan, give me a downtown apartment any day. City life is much more my style than suburban life

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Assuming I can get good internet connection, rural on the side of a mountain, with a city/town within a 20 minute drive. I drive on mountain roads a lot and I'm always jealous I'm not living there.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the option for "rural/small/mid, but with access to a larger city"?

I love the peace and quiet but things like healthcare get really dicey if you're not near a city and/or university.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I grew up in the suburbs, lived in an urban environment for over 10 years now, and and am now looking to do something more suburban. For me, a fairly populated suburb town, but with private property that allows for at least some distance between houses, all within commutable distance to a city would be ideal.

I'm hoping to find something like that in a year or two.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fancy mountain house

cQdKCmZ.jpeg

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I grew up rural, closest neighbor was at least a five or so minute walk and my friends house could be accessed by corn field. I live in a pretty small town now and I think this is about as big as I want. City driving just stresses me out

Keep me in a small town with access to larger cities easily.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I love where I live. Its a large rural area in between cities/suburbs. Lots of little farms with 2-5 acre lots or even bigger (10-30 acres). We live in a old subdivision with plots about an acre big, but close to things we need (Livestock supplies, resturants and easy access to transit options/Hospitals. ). I wouldn't want to live anywhere else to be honest. Unless my wife can find work at a School district that either gives us the island or beach life :)

We have a small garden, we have chickens that free range, and we might get goats, so its awesome that our neighbors are not right on top of us.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Gated suburb syle community in Florida with quick access to a city like Tampa, Orlando, etc. That's my long term dream.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Suburban area

Single family homes, big private yards, just a short drive away from either the city or outdoorsy stuff.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I like the city, but I want some living space.

As in a spare bedroom for a home office and hobbies.

I guess if I am being paid enough to relocate, that should be attainable.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I'd want to live in a mid-sized city a couple of hours max away from a major metro area. My dream is Palm Springs.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Don't want to live anywhere but in the city. I spent almost 30 years in incredibly rural areas before doing Seattle and Los Angeles (and almost NYC). Now that I've had to come back to rural life again, I hate it. Can't wait to get back to a big city.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love where I live. Its a large rural area in between cities/suburbs. Lots of little farms with 2-5 acre lots or even bigger (10-30 acres). We live in a old subdivision with plots about an acre big, but close to things we need (Livestock supplies, resturants and easy access to transit options/Hospitals. ). I wouldn't want to live anywhere else to be honest. Unless my wife can find work at a School district that either gives us the island or beach life :)

We have a small garden, we have chickens that free range, and we might get goats, so its awesome that our neighbors are not right on top of us.

I like the city, but if I ever left it would be for a place like this. My wife and I do some gardening on our patio, and at a community garden, but being able to raise more space-intensive plants, and have chickens and maybe a goat would be really neat.

Suburbs that lack the culture of the city and also restrict land use and mandate lawns are the worst of both worlds.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
It's actually pretty tough to determine a location that's somewhere in between a populated city and a rural town.

Mid-density residential area is probably safe to assume this is that "fine line in the middle."

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I voted mid-town, but also could do a small city. I don't really want to be in the middle of downtown but I want walkable shops/restaurants and transit access.

I live just over the line from Cambridge MA and a small city like that is perfect. I don't think they are as common in the US as I'd like but that's just a hunch

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Mid to small town. The place I'm living now is mid-town and it's heaven. Low traffic yet walking distance to several amenities I might need.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer a rural area with just me and the hills, but I don't think it's ideal while still working. Right now my job is trying to get people to relocate to Montana, but it's not worth it.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I want to be further out. 10 mins from town would be ideal. need internet for my job and typically commute at this point however. i'm currently in the suburbs, but ive also done city living. not really a fan of either at this point.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I wouldn't want to relocate. I just moved to the Orlando area 2 years ago to be able to spend time off at Disney World and Universal. It was the best decision I've ever made, and being furloughed during the pandemic means we've been able to safely enjoy the parks during all the downtime to keep us from going stir-crazy at home. I love it here and would never move.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I have to say that I don't want to relocate given my current circumstances. Regardless of location, I would still prefer the option to work from home now so moving might not even be a requirement, but if I needed to be there in person once a week or so for certain meetings, I guess I would have to move.

That said, if I were suddenly single instead of having a wife and kids, I'd probably want to move downtown so that I could just walk where I needed to (post-pandemic, of course). I spent a few weeks in NYC in my early twenties and I really liked the idea of city life somewhere. Not sure what city in particular these days though.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Rural edges of a suburb. Get me away from busy body neighbors and HOAs, but close enough to still have access to things.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not going to lie, I've enjoyed living in "mid-sized college towns" the most so far, having grown up in a dense and wide metropolitan area.

Oct 30, 2017
If I wasn't directly in the classroom anymore, I'd love to go somewhere I don't have to own a car.
Always been jealous of the fact my brother hasn't had to worry about car- related finances in nearly 20 years.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Give me that small town/suburban area. I want a nice backyard for a price that's not 700k+ like it is around me.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
MA resident here. Would living near a commuter rail station work for you? I actually this is a good compromise.

Depends on the circumstances, but generally yeah if I can get there without a car and it's in a downtown area, or accessible to one.

We've looked at Newburyport, which is farther away than I'd want, and the commuter rail is outside downtown, but I could walk to most things and easily bike to the commuter rail stop. Salem is on the list too

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I like the city, but if I ever left it would be for a place like this. My wife and I do some gardening on our patio, and at a community garden, but being able to raise more space-intensive plants, and have chickens and maybe a goat would be really neat.

Suburbs that lack the culture of the city and also restrict land use and mandate lawns are the worst of both worlds.

Yeah, its sort of the best of both worlds..I don't want to live in the middle of somewhere, where cities are hours away. But I'm about an hour from Seattle, and about 20 minutes from Tacoma. (moderate sized city)

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Depends on the circumstances, but generally yeah if I can get there without a car and it's in a downtown area, or accessible to one.

We've looked at Newburyport, which is farther away than I'd want, and the commuter rail is outside downtown, but I could walk to most things and easily bike to the commuter rail stop. Salem is on the list too
Wakefield, Somerville, Reading all seems closer to Boston. I can vouch for these places.

In you case, I think you'd be suitable for Small Town / Mid-density residential area. Newburyport seems like low-density residential area.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Suburbs for life. Give me my car, my strip shopping centers, and my privacy.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just relocated a few years ago and finally settled down in a house I love, so I probably wouldn't take a relocation package. Plus, I quite like where I am.

But, to answer the other thread question, I like the suburbs, with a major city about half an hour away. It's nice to be able to go there whenever but also to be able to leave the hustle and bustle for something more quiet.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I like where I live now, which is a residential neighborhood in a city of ~90,000 surrounded by nice mountains and forest areas.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'd rather not relocate. Though if I had to, I prefer living in the suburbs of a larger city like I do now. Maybe more towards the outside so I get a bigger backyard, or at least an RV gate.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only ever lived in suburbs with a 20-30 minute drive to the major city. Seems perfect. City is there if you need it, but cost of living is normal. Downtown rent is about twice my monthly mortgage payment for half the space, and you don't even own it. Insane.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Midtown me up baby.

Close enough to the city, but still in a location where folks aren't right on top of me.