• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
IfFound_GIF_KeyArt_Steam.gif

Platforms: Steam | Apple Store | hopefully itch.io
Release Date: 19th May 2020
"If Found... is an interactive visual novel about going home, coming out and erasing everything." - DREAMFEEL

For some reason, I've been getting into visual novels. I'm also playing Milky Way Prince. Maybe it's just really interesting ones are out right now. Once I started playing this, within seconds I was sold from the intro.

One of our fellow Era members worked on the game, rustymonk !

The music by 2 Mello and Eli Rainsberry is sublime, and the foley work especially is worth praising that breathe atmosphere in the still images. The art by Liadh Young is gorgeous. The writing by Llaura Ash McGee & Eve Golden-Woods is on-point.

I love games that use their mechanic for storytelling, thematic-mechanic storytelling (Brothers, Braid, Journey, Virginia, But That Was Yesterday, Don't Look Back). Here, you're using an eraser to rub away text and scenes as transitions. You play the whole game with just your mouse, which makes it perfect for phones (not out on Android yet). It makes for some fantastic transitions.
IfFound_GIF_Select1_Steam.gif

You play as Kasio who has a difficult relationship with her mother as she's coming out as transgender and this ends up with her leaving, then couch-surfing with band mates and developing relationships. There's plenty of Irish slang and culture in the 90s brought up, which is pretty grand.

This A story is broken up by a shorter surreal B story where astronaut Dr Cassiopeia is exploring and interacting with a space anomaly. Both stories inform each other at key moments, emotionally.

I haven't finished the game, it's about a 2 hour game but so far I have been loving it because of the presentation and storytelling.

If you're into games like Gone Home or Night In The Woods that explore nostalgia in holistic ways (not just glorifying) and the 90s era, check it out. Also, it's very accessible so most people can play it.

rustymonk

Oct 28, 2017
oh hey, I did! And this week I actually *just* finished working on it for the second time, haha. Some nice updates coming soon, Era exclusive news. ;)

The erasing mechanic was really fun to play with when creating levels/chapters, and it really led into the story. I've been really pleased with everyone's reactions when they play, so I'm glad you dug it!

There was a thread here too with some impressions https://www.resetera.com/threads/if...m-and-app-store-mac-ios.178743/#post-35069469

Also nice shout out to Don't Look Back, was thinking about it after seeing Portrait of a Lady on Fire recently. Also But That was Yesterday, literally had not thought about that game since 10 years??

Last edited:

rustymonk

Oct 28, 2017
re: Itch.io, it's a publisher decision. I've brought it up with them, I've been on and using Itch since it launched! It kinda depends how If Found does on other platforms. We would love to though, because it's such a rad place and everyone's so friendly. We're just busy making games rn. I will try!!

Also 4 years working on it! 2.5 fulltime! Really cool to have other people play now. :O

OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
oh hey, I did! And this week I actually *just* finished working on it for the second time, haha. Some nice updates coming soon, Era exclusive news. ;)

The erasing mechanic was really fun to play with when creating levels/chapters, and it really led into the story. I've been really pleased with everyone's reactions when they play, so I'm glad you dug it!

There was a thread here too with some impressions https://www.resetera.com/threads/if...m-and-app-store-mac-ios.178743/#post-35069469

Also nice shout out to Don't Look Back, was thinking about it after seeing Portrait of a Lady on Fire recently. Also But That was Yesterday, literally had not thought about that game since 10 years??
Era exclusive news!!!

Someone else exists who has played But That Was Yesterday and Don't Look Back?! I'm always the only person mentioning those games here haha

OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've got relatives who've lived in Ireland so I bet they'd get a lot of craic out of all the dialogue 🤣
PaaRfed.png

KNTyE3P.png

oNunCT5.png

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Doesn't seem to list it on the Steam page but it's really cool to see that the game has a full Irish translation. My Irish is fairly shite so I doubt I'd understand much of it playing that way, but I've always wanted to see games get full Irish translations so it's earned my purchase on that alone.

rustymonk

Oct 28, 2017
I think Irish probably isn't listed because it's not an official steam language you can set. Maybe we could add it to the description somewhere.

Era exclusive news!!!

Someone else exists who has played But That Was Yesterday and Don't Look Back?! I'm always the only person mentioning those games here haha
Terry (of Don't Look Back) is lovely and always been a big inspiration for me. And he's another irish developer,! Although he hasn't lived in Ireland since before that game, haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Played this a month ago and absolutely loved it. Great art, great music and a really touching and meaningful narrative. I also really enjoyed the tactile way in which you interacted with the game via the eraser and I definitely think that participation bolstered the impact and storytelling.

So far I think it's my second favorite game of the year, under Kentucky Route Zero.

OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Played this a month ago and absolutely loved it. Great art, great music and a really touching and meaningful narrative. I also really enjoyed the tactile way in which you interacted with the game via the eraser and I definitely think that participation bolstered the impact and storytelling.

So far I think it's my second favorite game of the year, under Kentucky Route Zero.
Yeah KR0 had a great finale, one of my all time favourites now. You should check out Creaks if you haven't already. Despite COVID-19, this has been a great year for indies.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
So awesome to see an Irish game like this! Always glad to see things coming out of here!

OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
#2 on Paste Magazine's list for GOTY 2020! Well deserved

www.pastemagazine.com

The 40 Best Games of 2020

Paste Magazine is your source for the best music, movies, TV, comedy, videogames, books, comics, craft beer, politics and more. Discover your favorite albums and films.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
#2 on Paste Magazine's list for GOTY 2020! Well deserved

www.pastemagazine.com

The 40 Best Games of 2020

Paste Magazine is your source for the best music, movies, TV, comedy, videogames, books, comics, craft beer, politics and more. Discover your favorite albums and films.

I saw this game get another high profile mention recently and meant to post it here but I've forgotten where now .

OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just realised this is a perfect Christmas game, and not just being a cosy winter tale but also about the complexities of family relations, identity struggles, depression, loneliness, acceptance, and fraught memories. The Irish flavouring is so much fun!
O6UiwhW.png

zML3jOC.png

Last edited: