• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overworld or Nah?

• FF Overworld

Votes: 371 71.2%
  • FF Landmarks

Votes: 150 28.8%

• Total voters

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see SE making a overworld for there biggest AAA franchise on next generation of consoles. It will be open world.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah airship would be nice. Especially now that nextgen consoles will have SSDs and can stream fast enough for flying vehicles. There's no excuse; I'd be perfectly fine with randomly generated terrain.

In addition to my post, I think people are cautious about open worlds directly because of how FFXV handled it, and that's fair. IMO, I can see a modern interpretation of a classic JRPG overworld really working, we just don't have much of a frame of reference for that other than XV's OW with flying car, XIV's flying mounts, and what Type-0 did. A fully 3D world map to scale, with airship travel, is absolutely do-able. I just think people are currently lacking faith in Square's ability to do that because it's been so long and they seemingly abandoned it after FFIX.

Bring back the overworld and make it glorious, I say.

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Overworld as in tiny characters and towns? Naw. I'm done with that.

An illusion of an open world with 1:1 scale characters and towns? SO IN.

I've replayed VII recently, and to my surprise I found the Overworld super empty, yeah you can find some one screen caves but it's mostly empty.
If one tried to directly transform part of VII map to scale... that would be XV.

Would be interesting if someone could list points of interest in VII map and points of interest in XV map, just for comparison.

People also tend to forget that FFVII is across Gaia (an entire planet), and Witcher 3 and others are just a fraction of one continent.
The scope is just insanely larger.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really need a world map. I actually like the way Dragon Quest XI handles it and if they did the same thing with FFVII I'd be quite happy.

Nov 23, 2017
I've replayed VII recently, and to my surprise I found the Overworld super empty, yeah you can find some one screen caves but it's mostly empty.
If one tried to directly transform part of VII map to scale... that would be XV.

Would be interesting if someone could list points of interest in VII map and points of interest in XV map, just for comparison.

People also tend to forget that FFVII is across Gaia (an entire planet), and Witcher 3 and others are just a fraction of one continent.
The scope is just insanely larger.
Yeah, classic FF overworlds are very much like that. They could absolutely emulate a XV-style map with some off-the-beat mini areas and what not. Keep the motorcycle from the chase or repair it in Kalm Town and then off you go, weeeeeeee. The scope is why I don't think the entire map will be in game 2.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I would just like to be able to go back to previous areas and get some new dialogue or quests or whatever, be rewarded for exploring previous places. I don't care what form it takes. I thought the car in FF15 was kind of cumbersome.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I can imagine the overworld working the same as it does in DQXI, with a complete overworld that's visible while traversing on a vehicle but if you're on-foot then everything is to scale with segmented areas.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Yes I would be mad without a overworld. Wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have one.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I would prefer it to have an overworld, but I really don't think it will, and it won't bother me if it doesn't. Games like Final Fantasy X proved long ago that overworlds aren't necessary for a JRPG to be fantastic.

However it goes, I'm beyond hyped for FFVII Remake after demoing it at E3 and PAX West last year.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'd like it to be there, but I won't be mad if it's not.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I want a pretend open world that's basically just a world map but with close to scale assets and models, with some trickery to make it more seamless, populated with a couple of things to find to make it more interesting to explore. I don't want to explore a proper open world, but zones like FF12/Versus 13 or a 7-9-style overworld aren't appealing to me either. The characters, atmosphere, combat and soundtrack are the main things I wanted to be 90% faithful. I don't need a faithful overworld. I leave overworlds to smaller scale RPGs.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
It would be cool if it had one, but I wouldn't be mad if it didn't. I think it would be a smarter idea than an open world, which I don't see adding anything of value to what we're seeing now.

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Midgar isn't fully explorable, then there really isn't much of an excuse as to why this is being released in multiple parts

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I really don't see SE making a overworld for there biggest AAA franchise on next generation of consoles. It will be open world.
I don't think there's a good way to cover the scale for FFVII's world in an open world game. A couple miles of open world would make the idea of the game being a planet-wide conflict something of a joke.

My guess is we're either getting zoned areas or we're progressing to each town on a linear path. My dream scenario would be a modernization of the old school world maps, but I don't think that'll work.

World maps were cool because they allowed you abstract the scope of a worldwide journey into something more palatable and tech/budget friendly. But in days where everything is expected to be 1:1, I don't know if they'd play well anymore.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I want a pretend open world that's basically just a world map but with close to scale assets and models, with some trickery to make it more seamless, populated with a couple of things to find to make it more interesting to explore. I don't want to explore a proper open world, but zones like FF12/Versus 13 or a 7-9-style overworld aren't appealing to me either. The characters, atmosphere, combat and soundtrack are the main things I wanted to be 90% faithful. I don't need a faithful overworld. I leave overworlds to smaller scale RPGs.
This would be interesting if they could modernize the overworld concept. I don't really see the type of overworld from FF7 being that desirable for modern gaming sensibilities. Do we really want to walk around a largely barren overhead map that switches to a battle view for random encounters?

I'm not familiar with a lot of recent JRPGs, but are there any that have tried a modern interpretation of an overworld where you can walk around and explore it, but it's not an entirely rendered open world?

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
If they get rid of the overworld we are gonna miss the ultima weapons fights, the submarine game play, the vehicles the majestic Highwind, the chocobo tame for golden chocobo if they get rid of the overworld they get rid Half of the game.

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
This would be interesting if they could modernize the overworld concept. I don't really see the type of overworld from FF7 being that desirable for modern gaming sensibilities. Do we really want to walk around a largely barren overhead map that switches to a battle view for random encounters?

I'm not familiar with a lot of recent JRPGs, but are there any that have tried a modern interpretation of an overworld where you can walk around and explore it, but it's not an entirely rendered open world?

I like wandering in the open overworld field, this is one of the feature that made me fall in love with JRPGS, overworld has been important for JRPGS back in the Dragon Warrior/Quest the 1st JRPG had overworld, FF had overworld, I don't understand when some developer say "Witcher3 will have open world" everybody are happy, but in the same time don't want to see the overworld in JRPGS, wester RPG open world are boring, Japanese in the other hand makes overworld more enjoyable.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

It would really excite me if they could pull it off. Something that captures the spirit and feeling of the overworld, without going for an established, familiar solution like zones/traditional overworld/full open world.

Only modern take on overworld I know of is Ni No Kuni, but it's basically a typical overworld.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
I would hate it if they wasted their effort making an open world, knowing how much effort they need to put into the individual locations. To be frank, they could make it as linear as Uncharted for my money.

I'd be more than happy with a few open areas to mess about in. Taking the highwind for a spin Around the globe doesn't hold the same allure as it did to my 13 year old self.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would be less likely to play this Remake if it doesn't have the classic overworld in some form or another.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Breath of the wild won GOTY and that game main feature is the open world, how can someone think that open world are not cool nowadays.
It's not about open worlds not being cool. BOTW is one of my favorite games ever. But there are issues with making FFVII's story take place modern open world.

The conflict is planetary, taking place over the entire planet. The scope of it all so narratively and thematically relevant. I dont think you can nail that with a few miles of open world.

There needs to be some level of abstraction to the world to give the journey a planet spanning feel. To me, that's either through environmental zones (a la DQXI or FFXII) because there's always a concept of "traveling between zones" that is usually accepted by the player, or some kind modernization of the overworld concept.

Alternatively, we could be led to areas by the story and be able to choose via a menu a la FFX, but that would probably be a hard sell to a lot of people.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I could live without it. But it would be weird if in part 2 or part 3 there was not some form of overworld.

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
It's not about open worlds not being cool. BOTW is one of my favorite games ever. But there are issues with making FFVII's story take place modern open world.

The conflict is planetary, taking place over the entire planet. The scope of it all so narratively and thematically relevant. I dont think you can nail that with a few miles of open world.

There needs to be some level of abstraction to the world to give the journey a planet spanning feel. To me, that's either through environmental zones (a la DQXI or FFXII) because there's always a concept of "traveling between zones" that is usually accepted by the player, or some kind modernization of the overworld concept.

Alternatively, we could be led to areas by the story and be able to choose via a menu a la FFX, but that would probably be a hard sell to a lot of people.
DQXI had like Section to make an illusion it was "overworld" we could go towns to towns via the Area.
I hated the menu based area of FFX

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Have people played FFVII lately? the overworld is trash. Barren wasteland and a slog to traverse. It wont be in the remake and good riddance. I hope they go FFXII or DQXI route.

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

Yes, old FF always went to whole world scope.
FFVII is even worse because of the variety of transportation.
How will they tackle the Gold Chocobo?
Are we going to walk for 30 minutes over nothing but water everywhere? Will ocean water be as calm as a lake for that to happen?

If we had only the Highwind, I would be satisfied with zone maps and when you board the airship you'd fly on a set altitude (imagine seeing the cities from a real flight,
the point that cities start to feel a little small) and with some fixed landing points.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
I'd be fine with just a world map with selectable locations. But they would need to make up for it in other ways.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like to have the overworld return but I kind of expect it won't. If I'm lucky I'd at least get zones aka DQXI I could run around in.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully like FF12 with all of the love, craft, care, and attention they're giving every other aspect of the remake so far.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Square enix already said it. Youll be able to go between sectors back and forth using the train. The motorcycle hopefully too . And i hope we can ride on top of the train in real time while looking at the sectors and city.

It was a tweet confirmation legit saying youll be able to go between sectors on the train.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
It doesn't need an overworld. The only thing the overworld ever did was give people a false sense of non-linearity.

This is succinct and sums up how I feel. You lose very little losing the world map. I remember VersusXIII was meant to have a world map but it was thrown out, citing that they didn't like how it worked. Can't see that changing. Leave it in the PSone era, we're done now.