• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overworld or Nah?

• FF Overworld

Votes: 371 71.2%
  • FF Landmarks

Votes: 150 28.8%

• Total voters

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
You actually have to be able to explore it, yes. Vs. the FFX style of "here's a list, you teleport wherever you want to go" nonsense.
I agree with you. They should keep this design for the remake, just make it much prettier. While I don't have a problem with FFXII's open-feeling map design and exploration, I don't think it would work at all with FFVII.

Ni No Kuni did a great job providing that same feeling of a big explorable world but in the HD era.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Right, you could have the vehicles just be a loading screen, but it kinda destroys any of the majesty of getting an airship or a submarine if all it is is just a glorified loading screen, y'know? The Highwind moment in FFVII was a huge deal!

Ah I did not explain well. I meant we could see these scenes while changing zones. Imagine you are at Midgar area and you want to go in the Icicle Area by airship, so we have two zones and there would be a loading scene while changing zone. And when you in that zone, you can travel freely.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty interested in how they'll tackle the overworld. I don't believe we'll get giant Cloud walking shoulder to shoulder with mountains like in the original, but I'd like some kind of compromise to be made, maybe like a map from the old Fallout games where you'd set a destination and watch a sped-up version of the journey during which random encounters would occur, into which vehicles and chocobos would tie in, granting access to new locations and getting rid of random encounters.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah I did not explain well. I meant we could see these scenes while changing zones. Imagine you are at Midgar area and you want to go in the Icicle Area by airship, so we have two zones and there would be a loading scene while changing zone. And when you in that zone, you can travel freely.

So, what, like a controllable cutscene where you "fly" the airship around while it loads the next area? Like the loading screens in Destiny and Warframe?

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want it to be good. Actually scratch that I just want it to come out. (but I still want it to be good)

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I just want there to be enough worth exploring. I don't care it that's an over world or not, but I want to be able to explore the towns and people living in it. That's what made the game so special to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I don't much care, but I can't see it being anything like the original overworld. That whole skewed perspective with a big character/tiny cities...ain't gonna happen.

Now, do I even remotely expect a massive, realistically-sized world? No. I'm guessing some kind of transition between locations and more open locations.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Nomura already said it's not going to be a big open world like other AAA games. I would guess it would most closely resemble FFXII. A large playable zone with loading screens, you get more and more freedom as the game progresses.

This game seems to be Versus XIII but taking place in VII's universe. This is a screenshot of Versus

Final-fantasy-versus-xiii-14.jpg

This is a zone.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
But to answer your question OP, i don't really care either way. I just want to play the game.

I'd be really shocked if a game with FF7 remakes art style and production values had an overworld like the original, it would be jarring and wouldn't make sense with the type of combat system they have.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't need an overworld. The only thing the overworld ever did was give people a false sense of non-linearity.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Nomura already said it's not going to be a big open world like other AAA games. I would guess it would most closely resemble FFXII. A large playable zone with loading screens, you get more and more freedom as the game progresses.

This game seems to be Versus XIII but taking place in VII's universe. This is a screenshot of Versus

Final-fantasy-versus-xiii-14.jpg

This is a zone.
This is the direction I want FF to go. No open world, not even an overworld, it's not really needed. Gimme that FFXII goodness.

Oct 28, 2017
world map or don't make it. i don't really need a full world but something like....ff7 world map?

it's gonna be a big seller, don't cheap out of it. but square will fuck it up, of course

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe an overworld similar to dragon quest XI would work well.

Edit: Now that I think about it I'm not sure since I was thinking about the boat which doesn't involving walking over the land.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Truly don't care about the overworlds. I want some towns and such, though. If the game is well paced then I am happy.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't make a difference at all. The overworld of every Final Fantasy is just going from a Point A to Point B line.

Lack of World Map in FFX was always a shitty criticism.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't make a difference at all. The overworld of every Final Fantasy is just going from a Point A to Point B line.

Lack of World Map in FFX was always a shitty criticism.

FFX made such a huge deal out of getting you the airship and then it was a menu. When I was a kid that made me see blood - it felt like such a cheap cop-out.

Not being able to pilot vehicles around the game world is a HUGE negative in my book.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
For new numbered FF games I've lived with the fact that the 'traditional' overworld is gone. It sucks, but there it is.

For a REMAKE of a game that had a pretty great overworld and some fun vehicles to control, I expect the team to address this and supply an overworld in parts 2, 3, however many.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The overworldl only masked the turn based battles. It doesnt work in modern format as opposed to a more linear style going from place to place

Im much more interested in them fleshing out the detail of the indivual locations the party goes to after midgar than the space in between

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Honestly I fully expect the structure of the Midgar entry to be what they do going forward. So if it's linear with a few open-ish areas then I bet that the rest of the games will be too.

Trying to recreate an overworld with modern fidelity requirements will set such a massive burden on this project. I don't think it's worth it.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow people sure do get defensive over the most harmless questions when it comes to ff7. Its like people here are just programmed to be nasty and snarky constantly, regardless, while id like it to be an open world outside of midgar, i dont know how realistic that is for the scope of the game. Im expecting the next parts to be linear with open hubs. Not disimillar to a god of war or tomb raider.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I've been worried about this for a long time, it needs the overworld otherwise they need to redo howyou aquire Yuffi and Vincent, Chrocobos's, optional bosses, the vehicles (they cannot omit flying the highwind) etc etc

I don't see how it can be the same game if they remove it, there was a lot of returning to areas and quests to do

Nov 23, 2017
Overworld as in tiny characters and towns? Naw. I'm done with that.

An illusion of an open world with 1:1 scale characters and towns? SO IN.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been worried about this for a long time, it needs the overworld otherwise they need to redo howyou aquire Yuffi and Vincent, Chrocobos's, optional bosses, the vehicles (they cannot omit flying the highwind) etc etc

I don't see how it can be the same game if they remove it, there was a lot of returning to areas and quests to do
Final Fantasy VII remake has already proved it's going to be a super different game to FFVII. This is one of those remakes where it doesn't try to replace the original, but is a new experience.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Oh thats an easy one.

Its not the same game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is the direction I want FF to go. No open world, not even an overworld, it's not really needed. Gimme that FFXII goodness.

Why does a world in small sections and loading time inbetween them make it automatically better or more enjoyable to you than a world without that? The way the XII world was built was very likely a product of the PS2 just not being able to generate a larger, seamlessly connected world. Episode 2 of FFVII Remake on PS5 will have no need for a sectioned off world with loading times, should they now needlessly put those in?

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Why does a world in small sections and loading time inbetween them make it automatically better or more enjoyable to you than a world without that? The way the XII world was built was very likely a product of the PS2 just not being able to generate a larger, seamlessly connected world. Episode 2 of FFVII Remake on PS5 will have no need for a sectioned off world with loading times, should they needlessly put those in?
As long as the environments are varied enough, I'm fine with that. But the way XV was setup is just no good. So I don't mind a sectional overworld as long as you have multiple varied areas. XII has the biggest enemy and area variety in the whole series.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I want the world map because the map has the GOAT FF theme.

Where is it going to be if there is no world map? I'd be so sad :'(

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
All I care about is of the world is connected. It doesn't need to be open world, specifically.

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, top-down Ni no Kuni style with miniatures? I honestly hate that shit.

Big open areas are fine though.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think I need that airship, guys.

I mean seriously, an FFVII remake that eliminates flying around a map with the Highwind. Might as well throw in the towel on the whole fucking thing.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As long as the environments are varied enough, I'm fine with that. But the way XV was setup is just no good. So I don't mind a sectional overworld as long as you have multiple varied areas. XII has the biggest enemy and area variety in the whole series.

I also didn't like FFXV's open world. It was shallow, pretty much dead and a waste of space, but that does not mean they can't create a better open world for FFVII Remake or future FFs. Games like The Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2 show that open worlds can be done well and a Final Fantasy with a world like that would imo be an amazing thing to explore and experience.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I think I need that airship, guys.

I mean seriously, an FFVII remake that eliminates flying around a map with the Highwind. Might as well throw in the towel on the whole fucking thing.

Yeah airship would be nice. Especially now that nextgen consoles will have SSDs and can stream fast enough for flying vehicles. There's no excuse; I'd be perfectly fine with randomly generated terrain.

I also didn't like FFXV's open world. It was shallow, pretty much dead and a waste of space, but that does not mean they can't create a better open world for FFVII Remake or future FFs. Games like The Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2 show that open worlds can be done well and a Final Fantasy with a world like that would imo be an amazing thing to explore and experience.

WOT?

I think 15's open world was a fine first attempt by a dev that found HD towns hard. Baby steps; they couldn't even let you drive around manually, now you expect an open world as detailed and full of NPCs and sidequests to do? Nope, don't see it happening.

All I ask for is a big empty terrain to fly around in, with the handful of towns the original had, and the inevitable one or two dungeons sprinkled in.

Last edited: