• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overworld or Nah?

• FF Overworld

Votes: 371 71.2%
  • FF Landmarks

Votes: 150 28.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: My bad. I didn't really mean "open world" I meant more if FF7R did NOT have the classic "overworld"

So we know that Square has tried through the years to turn Final Fantasy into a more linear game, with a much more cinematic focus on the story after their merger with Enix, to some frustrations from long times fans. Initially, I was one who hated the idea of a linear Final Fantasy but after replaying Final Fantasy 7 (and even 8) proper, there is A LOT of subtle nuances about the stories that is not explained unless you go out your way from the main story. I mean, how many people saw the Zack truck scene on their FIRST playthrough (not me...)? While you can make the argument that "it's a reward for exploring the game", I really feel a more focused story driven remake is the best way to go to flesh out and put a focus more on the story (which I feel is one of their best in Final Fantasy) especially since the story is usually the most important part of Final Fantasy. I do feel it will benefit FF7 remake to now have voice acting and proper facial expressions to properly give context to scenes. I mean christ, FFX was number 1 in a recent pole and how hard was that game criticized for not having an overworld?

So do you think they should go more linear in terms of FFX or keep the overworld?

Last edited:

Zohar127

Oct 27, 2017
I would be fine if it weren't open world, and the world map was just not to scale just like the original.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't really call XV much of an open world either tbh. It definitely had the illusion of one but it felt more like a sandbox to me with the latter bits being linear. I fully expect FF7 Remake to have open world areas considering them breaking the game into parts because if not then wtf.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No. The original game was linear and I am fine with linear games. I have open world fatigue, as should the rest of you if you've been keeping up with some of the biggest hits of this generation.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Even once you leave Midgar, I still feel like the game guides you up to Rocket Town on a pretty straight-forward path. Once you get the Tiny Bronco, I think that's when the game really starts to open up, but I don't feel like the Remake needs to be a full-blown open world to express that.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
you've gotta clarify what you mean by open world. nobody expected these games to be open world in the GTA, FarCry sense, after all

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Final Fantasy was always linear. I don't want VII to be open world, in fact, I don't think open world design belongs to FF. Modern FF should follow on XII steps, where it's not open world, but not 100% linear. It's the best of both worlds.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't need to be open world. A midpoint is preferable, with the illusion of depth of choice (just like the original, but this time a bit more fitting of the HD era). They can capture the scale by making the maps big and detailed enough, but they don't need to waste their time making everything "open world." It would kind of be a waste.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
No way is this game gonna be open world. The story of FF7 is far too big for a modern open world game.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't wanna be in the hot take hall of fame, but everyone is gonna be mad at FFVII no matter how the game turns out.

Really.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It would be functionally impossible to translate FFVII's game world into the open world format. There is not a developer or a budget in existence that could pull that off.

Just do it the way they already did it the first time: detailed area maps and a less detailed field map.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see Cloud traversing a mini world map, like how Ni no Kuni 2 does it. No need to deviate too much from the original.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Yea Open World is not the correct term, but if you mean the openess and exploration of the world map then I really hope so but I'm not optimistic.

For those saying FFVII is a purely linear experience there were plenty of opportunities to go off the beaten path and explore some non essential areas and towns which is part of what made it special in my opinion.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
FF progression structure has always been linear. It's just a matter of how open the level design is and how badly it clashes with the story as a result.

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
If there's no overworld map, I'm going to be very disappointed.

My fear is that this is going to wind up like FF13. I really don't want this to be a corridor simulator.

I don't mind if it's linear (original FF7 was up to a point), but I want that map and the sense of exploration that goes along with it.

Oct 28, 2017
At this point, they could do whatever the hell they want with FF7 remake. I just want the damn thing to com eout.

E3 this year though, right? I expect SOME news.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
How they will translate the world map is one of the things I'm the most interested about. People should not dismiss that it will not be open world like for example FFXV IMO.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I'm not sure.

It's pretty clear that if you want to make an Open World, you need to know how to make one. And Square-Enix proved more than once that they don't.

I just want to know in what form they would put an open world in an segment as Midgar. That would be a hell on earth.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea Open World is not the correct term, but if you mean the openess and exploration of the world map then I really hope so but I'm not optimistic.

For those saying FFVII is a purely linear experience there were plenty of opportunities to go off the beaten path and explore some non essential areas and towns which is part of what made it special in my opinion.
yea this is pretty much what I mean. Narrowing the roads more similar to 10, 13 and 15 in their own ways. Or even taking the traveling out of the players hands at times.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm not sure.

It's pretty clear that if you want to make an Open World, you need to know how to make one. And Square-Enix proved more than once that they don't.

I just want to know in what form they would put an open world in an segment as Midgar. That would be a hell on earth.

I am excited for the game, and I am trying not to jump on the skeptic bandwagon. I will give it a chance....but...

I fully expect the midgar section of the new game to be a FFX/FFXIII -esque set off hallways and set pieces. The world will probably open up after that a bit but not fully open world.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
yea this is pretty much what I mean. Narrowing the roads more similar to 10, 13 and 15 in their own ways. Or even taking the traveling out of the players hands at times.

Yeah, I'd be pretty fucking upset if the game was just a list of landmarks with no connective tissue. 10, 12 and 13's worlds felt staggeringly small and bland because of the lack of scale.

AdversaryOne

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
So acquiring missions/quests directly from NPCs vs. just alternating from dungeons to towns based on something you heard from an NPC.

That's the only real difference between open world games and the structure of a traditional RPG, imo.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How they are going to make the world map part without it being an open world?

There's the airship.

I don't know how they can pull it off with just zones like FFXII.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Why would I be mad? I don't even want it to be OW...

Obligatory:
2d41f72deede37abb978d0399f67fcc97b46c1217fb976a652f3f9233b9fdd68.jpg

Oct 31, 2017
I'll take a point-and click to different locations or a world map like Chrono Cross if it means having plenty of varied environments with good level design and polish over something that is technically large but pretty small in scale like XII or ridiculously small like in XV

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
No reason for it to be open world. So no, I'd be happy if it remained similar in structure as FFVII with separate towns/dungeons from the overworld.