• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
-And worst too, on that note.

This thought crossed my mind as I watching some FighterZ clips, and the whole 'power seal' thing making everyone equal.

What I'm wondering is, at that point who'd be the best? Suddenly people like Krillin, Tien and Yamcha are valid contenders since they're genuinely skilled martial artists, while people like Frieza are probably out of the race entirely considering how reliant on power they are.

I'm swaying towards Tien here. He was the best in the 22nd WMT when powerlevels weren't really a thing yet, and even in the 23rd he had Goku on the ropes until he 'powerleveled' himself to the win. Way later he even pushed Cell despite the huge power gap problem by that point.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
If powers are the same, then the smartest ones are going to come up on top probably. I'm thinking Piccolo, Videl, the cyborgs maybe. Does Bulma count?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goku, because it would turn out that Goku has had a secret ability or a new SSJ level out of nowhere that would make him stronger than anyone else. Again.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Chaozu's psychic powers would be pretty formidable once brute strength didn't overcome them, assuming he learnt not to get distracted by maths problems

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
People shouldn't forget that Goku while slow in many ways was a savant as a martial artist.

In DB he broke even or won through intelligence or adopting newly seen techniques quickly.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
If powers are the same, then the smartest ones are going to come up on top probably. I'm thinking Piccolo, Videl, the cyborgs maybe. Does Bulma count?
Goku already beat piccolo when they were equal.

I would vote Goku because it's obvious in dragon Ball that he is a pretty smart fighter.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I'm swaying towards Tien here. He was the best in the 22nd WMT when powerlevels weren't really a thing yet, and even in the 23rd he had Goku on the ropes until he 'powerleveled' himself to the win. Way later he even pushed Cell despite the huge power gap problem by that point.

Tien won the 22nd budokai primarily because he was lucky a car happened to be where it was. He almost and probably should have lost it when Goku outsmarted him and used the Kamehameha wave to propel himself into a mid-air Tien, knocking him loopy. Tien only destroyed the ring and decided to fly his way to victory when he was frustrated that nothing he was attempting worked on Goku. In the 23rd tournament, Goku took one look at Tien's tactics and immediately ringed him out by poking massive holes in Tien's battle strategy of splitting his power level.

Goku learned a technique it took Roshi 50 years to develop by watching it once. He almost equalled a hundreds year old expert in strategy at the 21st budokai at even power. He not only beat Piccolo in an even fight where Piccolo broke the rules multiple times, but successfully outsmarted Piccolo and performed a mid-fight rescue mission for Kami. The entirety of OG Dragon Ball is the "Goku is the GOAT intelligent fighter" manga/anime. It's goddamn loaded with reaction shots of Roshi, Korin, Kami, Tien, et all with blown minds at something Goku has thought of or performed.

There's a lot less of that in Z, GT and Super - but even then, we see moments of Savant Goku. Him entirely engineering the situation that led to Gohan beating Cell or seeing through Hit's abilities after watching them once (at two different intervals). Goku landing on getting his body accustomed to Super Saiyan instead of torturing his body for more raw power and immediately recognizing the failure of the forms that Vegeta and Trunks were so keen on. It goes on and on.

Last edited:

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Tien won the 22nd budokai primarily because he was lucky a car happened to be where it was. He almost and probably should have lost it when Goku outsmarted him and used the Kamehameha wave to propel himself into a mid-air Tien, knocking him loopy. Tien only destroyed the ring and decided to fly his way to victory when he was frustrated that nothing he was attempting worked on Goku. In the 23rd tournament, Goku took one look at Tien's tactics and immediately ringed him out by poking massive holes in Tien's battle strategy of splitting his power level.

Goku learned a technique it took Roshi 50 years to develop by watching it once. He almost equalled a hundreds year old expert in strategy at the 21st budokai at even power. He not only beat Piccolo in an even fight where Piccolo broke the rules multiple times, but successfully outsmarted Piccolo and performed a mid-fight rescue mission for Kami. The entirety of OG Dragon Ball is the "Goku is the GOAT intelligent fighter" manga/anime. It's goddamn loaded with reaction shots of Roshi, Korin, Kami, Tien, et all with blown minds at something Goku has thought of or performed.

There's a lot less of that in Z, GT and Super - but even then, we see moments of Savant Goku. Him entirely engineering the situation that led to Gohan beating Cell or seeing through Hit's abilities after watching them once (at two different intervals). Goku landing on getting his body accustomed to Super Saiyan instead of torturing his body for more raw power and immediately recognizing the failure of the forms that Vegeta and Trunks were so keen on. It goes on and on.
This. Goku may be socially inept, but the guy is a genius when it comes to combat.

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Goku might be dumb in the real world, but he's an incredibly smart and crafty fighter.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017

So plot armor. If everyone is equalize then plot armor becomes irrelevant.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018

When was Videl ever shown to be a smart fighter? Book smarts don't equal fighting smarts either so Bulma is a no.

I know no one has mentioned him but Gohan shouldn't be in this conversation at all. For such a smart dude he's the definition of a brawler. I can't remember Gohan using his intelligence in many fights (probably the Dyspo one)

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Trunks because he has a weapon at least to give him an extra edge.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Probably Super/Kid Buu. Even with his fighting strenght on par with everyone else, he still has a lot of other advantages.

Like his magic, his ability to copy techniques by observing them once, his seemingly infinite stamina and ki reserves, and his ability to absorb other fighters. What he lacks in intelligence, he makes up in sheer cruelty and unpredictability. But the real problem is his regeneration, which allows him to pull off stuff that would be dangerous or even suicidal for every other fighter without any lasting consequences, save maybe Cell.

Cell is another major contender, since he's also a combo platter of abilities outside of fighting power, tho arguably to a lesser degree than Buu.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Roshi no question. He can mafuba anyone, electric shock everyone and paralyse them, hypnotise them and send them to sleep.

Goku would still e a genius fighter so for me it would be. Goku, Roshi, Buu (regen) and zamzu (immortal)

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Goku and Vegeta are pretty much genius of fighting. Thats pretty clear and, even't without their powers, im sure they are gonna come out pretty much on top. Aside from that, i think Buu, Cell and the Androides would take the cake. Buu can absorb and turn people into shit. Cell can absorb people too, and they are bot practically inmortals. Androids have an unlimited supply of energy, so they never get tired. Plus, android 16 its a robot who can detach his arm to fire ki-blast that aren't generate by him, and he can also explode

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Goku because the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai happened. Like goddamn, those were some great fights.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Goku. It's always Goku. The one thing he's good at in life is fighting. Even before all the Saiyan stuff entered the story.

You are right though that a lot of characters who rely upon their power or natural talent would be fucked. Vegeta, Beerus, Freeza and Gohan would all suffer in that scenario.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
It is definitly not tien. Roshi already beat tien even with a lower power level. Although, tien would be able to get revenge on gohan

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
So plot armor. If everyone is equalize then plot armor becomes irrelevant.

Plot armor is a rain of arrows that luckily misses an annointed character. Plot armor is not the character proving their smarter at something than everyone else like 15 times in a handful of manga chapters.

If you were going for lazy internet buzzword criticism, you might as well have gone for Mary Sue.

cHaotix

Oct 25, 2017
It's Goku at the top. Vegeta is a pretty intelligent fighter as well, as are pretty much all of the other Z fighters. The types hurt the most by this would probably be Androids 17-18 and then Freeza at the very bottom. Cell would be fine.

It is definitly not tien. Roshi already beat tien even with a lower power level. Although, tien would be able to get revenge on gohan
When did this happen? Super?

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
It's Tien, Goku, or Roshi. Meanwhile, Jiren will fall far below Krillin, & maybe even Yamcha

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
That feeling when you think you'd nerf Goku by equalizing power levels only to realize that he'd be even more over than he is with power levels.

Like take Goku vs Broly in the new movie. Remove power levels and Goku wins that one with hilarious ease.

You're not nerfing Goku by equalizing his power, you're making him even more broken. There are very few characters that trump him in technique and fighting smarts.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Goku's a hell of a smart and creative fighter. Would still be on top. Especially if we're taking into account current movesets as well. Doesn't matter if they aren't "stronger."

Last edited:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when you think you'd nerf Goku by equalizing power levels only to realize that he'd be even more over than he is with power levels.

Like take Goku vs Broly in the new movie. Remove power levels and Goku wins that one with hilarious ease.

You're not nerfing Goku by equalizing his power, you're making him even more broken. There are very few characters that trump him in technique and fighting smarts.
Yeah people don't realize the hierarchy except for outliers like Gohan who definitely relies on brute force would pretty much stay the ssme

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Tien, Piccolo or Goku or Kid Buu.
  • Tien is an insanely dedicated martial artist. His entire character was about training and perfecting more and more challenging techniques.
  • Piccolo is a prodigal super talent and genius level strategist on the battlefield.
  • Goku is a prodigy who by even glancing the Kamehameha which took Roshi a lifetime to create could do it. Raw Talent like that is major.
  • Kid Buu is the combined ability and knowledge of anyone he eats and the dude has literally eaten Kai's who are timeless masters of martial arts with centuries of training.
My money would be on Kid Buu honestly. I'd say follow that with Piccolo, then Tien then Goku. Tien and Piccolo both beat Goku when the power levels were near even in the past. Kid Buu's beyond both of those in skill and physical capabilities though.

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
It's Goku at the top. Vegeta is a pretty intelligent fighter as well, as are pretty much all of the other Z fighters. The types hurt the most by this would probably be Androids 17-18 and then Freeza at the very bottom. Cell would be fine.

When did this happen? Super?

11ec9031e69ec1381881a3d058b6b4b8.gif

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I'd go with Tien and roshi IMO, people that have studied martial arts and it's different forms, you saw it play very well for roshi being able to beat people much stronger then him in the ToP. Tien with his third eye would be untouchable. Yes Goku can fight but dudes never heard of a Parry in his life.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Goku is pretty smart while fighting and he pretty frequently fights guys way above his power level so I'l say he has an edge.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
Plot armor is a rain of arrows that luckily misses an annointed character. Plot armor is not the character proving their smarter at something than everyone else like 15 times in a handful of manga chapters.

If you were going for lazy internet buzzword criticism, you might as well have gone for Mary Sue.

Take a chill pill, slick.

He isnt a mary sue anyways, since in dbz he constantly loses and is a dumbass. Th reason i said plot armor is because as a lead, he has to win most of the time in db and the story is designed to let him win.

As a shonen lead, the author must make up for the fact that goku is a complete idiot that cannot function by making a prodigy.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
So all with the same power, it then becomes about fighting skills and tactics. It'd be Goku first still he's the martial arts prodigy, with Roshi and Tien and Piccolo and even Krillin up there.
I have only seen a few of Super, and the Frieza movie, so I can't really compare those characters. Powers being equal I don't think Vegeta's obsession and pride and skill could get him past those other guys, but I don't know. Gohan definitively goes to the bottom though, he only relied on his anger and emotions to power him through. Freiza as well, his skill wouldn't surpass the others. I think Cell would hold his own. Buu's theatrics and antics would be an annoyance that the others would handle.

I would really want to see how far up Yamcha goes in the hierarchy. I kinda wish something like that "power seal" happened to the characters for awhile, it'd be fun to see how they handle it and suddenly I'm hit with nostalgic fun of reading the original Dragon Ball manga. I'm gonna go catch up with Super now.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
It's a bit tricky as Toriyama is really inconsistent with how he writes his characters and sometimes completely forgets some of their powers.

Like, pre-z Tien would be a beast. His arsenal is massive, and the Dodonpa was also said to be somewhat stronger than the Kamehameha. Post-Z, Tien barely uses anything else but the Kikouhou)

For me the best "point" is still the Goku vs Vegata fight as a reference. It establishes that Goku is weaker but can extend his power (with a risk), and it also makes him more entertaining to watch (and he still needs a lot of help to finish off Vegeta).

Tien, Hit and Frieza would actually probably all be the most dangerous in their respective rights, as they are either fiercely competent, good strategists or just incredibly cunning and even somewhat dirty in their way of fighting (and Goku is a spirited fighter but he also often leaves himself open to attacks)