• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What OS would you use if most games weren't virtually locked to Windows?

• Linux.

Votes: 237 24.9%
  • Mac OS X.

Votes: 252 26.5%
  • Windows 10.

Votes: 412 43.3%
  • Don't play on PC.

Votes: 51 5.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Windows has an almost unchallenged dominance in the PC gaming market simply by virtue of the fact that most PC games either don't run at all on competing operating systems, or run worse.

But there have been attempts to make Windows-only games compatible with other operating systems (for example, via compatibility layers like Wine and Proton). If in the future there's a piece of software that allows you to run any game on any operating system with minimal issues, what operating system would you like to use for your PC?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
v06g3Pe.png

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I have never used a Mac. I only use Linux for programming and work, Windows is much more comfortable for everything else.

Oct 28, 2017
Win10
Despite the fuck ups like erasing your shit after updating or opening backdoors just to get your PC encrypted-kidnapped for ransom shit still is my favorite OS

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'd hackintosh my PC then for sure. I like Mac OS better, but I like controlling my hardware completely as well, so that's be the way to go. There would really be no reason to have Windows for me especially if gamepass was on there as well.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If games ran equally well on all operating systems, I'd be running FreeBSD.

As that isn't an option, Linux it is... which is what I currently use anyway.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Windows. I like using it. And no, Microsoft doesn't want to murder babies or whatever silly things people came up over the last 40 years. It's just a tech company that makes (mostly) good software and hardware.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I'd say Windows is still easier to use.

However I've got to admit I don't know much about Linux. But from my point of view, aside from games, Linux doesn't do much for me.
For daily webbrowsing, consumption and launching games it would probably make 0 difference, but as soon as you start to use external gear or produktive software thats more media geared then it or academic...yeah, windows is probably the better option there.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
For what I do which is literally just play games and study - Windows 10
But mac would be sick

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I'd probably still stick with Windows. I've heard people have had issues with it but I've had literally none. Does everything I need and requires no effort.

Also if Xbox App + Game Pass is still exclusive to Windows in this scenario, 0% chance I'd ever move. GP is too good.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it's a question of what I find less annoying to use and that is linux. Mac OS interface has been becoming more and more tiring to use with each release, it's by far my least favorite option. Windows 10 is a known entity and I can live inside it, especially now that I can cheat with WSL2.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
OS X

I've been using it for about 10 years and my only complaint is how terrible gaming support is. If this was no longer an issue, it would meet all of my needs.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
MacOS, no doubt. I love the OS, but it's a shame it's being neglected in gaming because Apple's love of Metal.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely Mac. I currently have a gaming PC and a Mac Mini as my two main desktops. My wife also has an iMac and a gaming PC plus we have a MacBook Pro, iPad Pro and Surface Pro X. I'd quite like to not need so many. If we could have Mac OS on a gaming PC we could cut two desktops out.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Linux without a doubt and I would never go back. my Windows machine is strictly for high-end gaming.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I'd still stick w/ Windows. Too much other software I use isn't on Linux and I prefer Windows to Mac OS.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Assuming this also means that drivers for things like controllers and graphics cards are also just as good, right?
If so, Linux. Otherwise, Windows.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Windows > Linux, but I'd probably still dual boot as I do now, they serve different purproses. I cannot stand MacOS outside a few things that are entirely related to their touchpad + gestures on their laptops, which well - laptops aren't my primary PC option in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I have no idea what I have to gain from switching to Linux but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Can't stand MacOS though.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Though I like a lot of what Apple do, it's not just games that are tying me to Windows.
Macs cost a lot more and perform worse for that money due to many of the decisions that Apple makes. A Threadripper-based Mac Pro could have cost significantly less than the current system. And you're locked out of NVIDIA hardware with a Mac.
There's quite a bit of software I use on Windows that lacks Mac equivalents too. And Apple has a habit of killing off legacy software every few years; which would kill some of the software I use that is no longer under active development, or would now require a recurring subscription.

I think I like the idea of going back to macOS more than the reality of it.
There's a long list of reasons why I stopped buying Macs for my personal systems - even though they the only thing I tell family to buy.
While I don't personally have many issues with Windows, I refuse to do tech support for someone else's Windows system.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
Windows because I use my PC for other purposes too. Now if all software ran the same independent of OS I'd go linux no question

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Already on linux for years. As of a month ago, we dont even keep a windows install anymore.

Thanks, proton.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The last game I played with any regularity on a computer was the original Half-Life. macOS is definitely my favorite computer OS (but I'm not an Apple fan in general and iOS can die in a fire).

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
MacOS. I like it, everytime I switch back to windows, everything is ugly. I can't imagine what tinkering around with settings would be like in macosx.