• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If all Bethesda games are exclusive how does this effect your purchasing decision?

• It doesn't, Im already (or planned to be)in the "Xbox Ecosystem" and play these on Xbox/PC

Votes: 1,618 56.1%
  • I wasn't planning on buying an Xbox but I think I will to play these games

Votes: 245 8.5%
  • I wasn't planning on buying an buying or upgrading a PC but I think I will to play these games

Votes: 84 2.9%
  • I will buy a PS5 and skip these games

Votes: 770 26.7%
  • I wasn’t planning on it but might consider using Xcloud/Game Pass to play these.

Votes: 165 5.7%

• Total voters

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a PC...I will play them if they move their formula forward. Enjoyed Skyrim but didnt like Fallout 5.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Used Series X around 2022, like before. and just because of Arkane, couldn´t care less about the rest of Bethesda. in the meantime i will enjoy Deathloop.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably just done with next gen in general if this is the way the industry is arcing. Fuck buying multiple consoles just because they spite-acquired a bunch of publishers to lock their games away from the competition.

I really have no reason to justifiably spend hundreds of dollars on both of these consoles but plenty of reasons thus far to skip them. Behavior like this out of Microsoft doesn't make me want their platform more, it just makes me want Sony's less.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
It doesn't really change anything other than making PC a even more attractive platform (which it already was anyway)

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
I am much more concerned with the Evil Within 3 than Elder Scrolls or Starfield, but I will likely just play on pc.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't change any plans for me. Already have PC will pick up series X for ease of use pc on my TV. But has nothing to do with Bethesda.

Truth be told, not really sure why this announcement is getting people to pick up a Series X/S right away unless they want to play existing games on Gamepass. Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 will be a long ways out. So will Doom 3. Near release Bethesda games are PS5 exclusive for a set period of time, so if you are into Bethesda releases it will actually be PS5 that has them in the near term.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Well I was already sold on getting a Series X(got One S late gen) due to MS' previous moves coupled with the incredibly attractive hardware & ecosystem, but them scooping up hands down my favorite Western publisher absolutely would've made getting an Xbox a must regardless.

Counted and I own 13 Bethesda published games from this generation on PS4. Several more on Xbox BC.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am getting a PS5 already have it pre ordered and paid for, BUT if Bethesda games go Xbox only and Starfield is only on the Series X/S then I guess I will just have to buy one of those systems one or two years down the line when they are alittle cheaper.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is only the beginning, this next gen will have some paradigm shifts that will throw off many longtime gamers for sure.

Yup. And I really don't want to be a part of it. I don't even have any next-gen games I want to buy yet, but I'm being given plenty of reasons not to invest in new hardware.

What's the fucking point anymore?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not spending £450 just to play ES and Fallout.

Even if price drops by time they are out, buying a console half that price not worth it still.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Where's the option for "I had no interest in GamePass last week, but now I'm subbed for 3 years"?

Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein, Tango Gameworks, and Doom hurt but I will just stick with PS5 unless I find a cheap Xbox several years into the gen. I was burned by their lack of first party 2012-now and how they've mishandled Rare (only now getting back on course) so Xbox has to deliver for 3-4 years consistently for me to be convinced

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
My thoughts:

Starfield = Xbox/PC exclusive
TESVI = Multi-platform, better mod support on Xbox
Wolfenstein 3 = Multi-plat w/ exclusive Xbox features

I also think we'll see lots more perks/little extras for Game Pass subscribers in games like Fallout 76 / ESO. Hoping to see the weird FO76 yearly/monthly service altered too.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I was always going to end up with both, and am definitely leaning towards PS5 first still, but I think it will definitely shorten the time between when I get a PS5 and when I get the Series X

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to get both platforms at launch, but if I were forced to choose one I'd still have chosen the PS5. Looking at the entirety of what Beth published this gen, there are three that I really valued - Doom, Eternal and Dishonored 2. I hope BGS steps up with Starfield and delivers something I'll be obsessed with like Skyrim... but I wouldn't buy a console based on that hope.

Microsoft's first party right now has massive potential, but very few developers that I would count on to release great games.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was planning on playing the non-janky Bethesda games on PC anyways. I'm not getting a Xbox console this gen but it still does not affect me.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm firmly planted in the "Xbox Ecosystem," so I am largely unaffected.

Granted I am still salty about the Deathloop timed exclusivity, I do hope that Sony and Nintendo gamers will be able to enjoy the big-name Bethesda titles that release in the future. However, I understand if Microsoft doesn't choose to go that route, as well. It's not like I could play Jak and Daxter on my OG Xbox after Sony bought Naughty Dog*.

* Maybe not the best example, but the spirit of the sentiment remains.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It won't matter I guess cuz I'll be on GP but I'll still be upset at that direction

Oct 27, 2017
Buying a Series X so I won't be in a position to miss out on their games. I would have bought one anyway, but it certainly ensures that Xbox will be my main console for Bethesda games going forward.

Dec 16, 2017
I was always PS5 first, Xbox later. I might build a PC instead. The Bethesda purchase is good for Microsoft, but as someone who already plays Xbox that 7.5 billion only gets some games they would already have had on Gamepass sooner.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
It doesn't affect mine, but not for any of the reasons in the poll. Reason for me is because none of Bethesda's games are anything I consider must play, top tier or can't miss. If they start putting out those types of games under Microsoft's control I'll revisit that question. But if I can just get a temporary xcloud just to play those games then cancel and move on that seems easier than buying hardware. But they'll have to put out a game I actually want/need to play first.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm going to stick to Steam mainly (and Switch). It's likely I'll give gamepass a spin too at some point in next gen.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Doesn't affect me other than the fact I get to play them on pc and Xbox series x instead of just Xbox

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
This is pretty moot, I feel. If you have an interest in playing a Bethesda game on release and have an Xbox, you can do Game Pass for a month to essentially rent it.

If you like it, you can invest more money in then.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
It either means I'm getting an Xbox Series X or a new PC.

Was planning to get both in the first place.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Only future Bugthesda game that interest me is Elder Scrolls 6. When it launches i either play it on PC, if i have a capable PC when it launches, or in case my PC cant handle it, i sub Xcloud and play it via streaming.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Makes no difference to me. I can't stand bethesda games.

But I do have a decent pc if I liked them and rant wanted to play them.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Since I plan on getting PS5 and XSX while continuing to have a PC, it doesn't affect me at all. it sucks for the PS games who might lose out on games in the future, though.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably just done with next gen in general if this is the way the industry is arcing. Fuck buying multiple consoles just because they spite-acquired a bunch of publishers to lock their games away from the competition.

I really have no reason to justifiably spend hundreds of dollars on both of these consoles but plenty of reasons thus far to skip them. Behavior like this out of Microsoft doesn't make me want their platform more, it just makes me want Sony's less.
I don't really get what you're saying. In previous generations you needed PS+Xbox+Nintendo+PC to cover all bases too. If anything it's a bit better now because you just need PS+Nintendo+PC. Yeah it sucks if you wanted to play bethesda games and just have PS5, but you'd always be missing out on great games if you don't have everything (not saying either new console is worth buying yet)

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I legit never understood why someone would play a Beth game on something besides PC.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Evil Within is really the only game under the Bethesda banner that I really love, and I doubt that's coming back again. Even then, if something catches my eye I'll just get it on PC.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I always planned upgrading my PC to more modern specs if there's a drought of favorite games to play on Nintendo and Sony platforms, and if I also end up depleting my back log of games I want to finish, both of which are definitely not happening in the near future. Specially if there's a Switch Pro coming out soon.

Until "future bethesda games" are tangible games launched and reviewed, and are confirmed exclusives, the impact remains zero. It would require way too many improbable hypotheticals to all come true in the 2022-2023 time frame.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Doesn't affect me one bit. It was always ps5+pc. Hell I only played one Bethesda game the whole gen(FO4), it'll change with doom eternal coming to gamepass. So that makes 2 games all this gen from bethesda that I would play.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seemingly one of the few that isn't huge on Bethesda game, which is lucky for me as I've already pre-ordered a PS5. If this was like Capcom or some shit I'd be SOL. The only main thing that's gonna hurt from Bethesda to me is Doom. But I've got Eternal already.

I'm not against getting a Series X/S in the future though. It seems much more promising than the One which I skipped. It's just this deal isn't the driving force for me in that decision.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I don't buy PS5 because I like Sony. I buy PS5 because I firmly dislike Microsoft as a corporation. End of the day it's not hard for me to just not buy the games.

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY
Microsoft have done a GREAT acquisition with ZeniMax (everybody's talking only about Bethesda but there's more than that).
Said so, I don't like very much the "ZeniMax" videogame output:

Played and liked Skyrim and Morrowind, but didn't finish any of them.
Completed but disliked Wolfenstein.
Enjoyed and finished The Evil Within.
I gone crazy with Doom and Doom 2. Never cared about the sequels.

I guess I would survive to an all-exclusive announcement.
But still a great deal for MS and Xbox.