• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
The only light source in my room is pretty much my display, most monitors I find are IPS so I assuming they are standard? But from whatever little research I've done it seems they have issues with dark interiors.

If this is the case what would be my best next option?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
That comes down to IPS glow and backlight bleed. That's why there's a panel lottery - if you're lucky it'll be minimal, and you won't have to worry about it in games.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
VA panels are typically the best for dark rooms because of their high contrast ratios.

However I frequently use an IPS panel to watch movies and play games in dark rooms -- it's all about the luck of the draw, and finding a panel with low backlight bleed and IPS glow. IPS panels typically have better colors and response times than VA panels, so I think it's worth trying your luck in the panel lottery.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I play in the dark on a cheap 1080p IPS monitor and it's fine. The contrast ratio is pretty low by high-end TV standards but you get used to it.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. George Washington signed a law in 1779 saying that it's illegal to play games with IPS monitors in a dark room.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
The only light source in my room is pretty much my display
5f32936a1dedc46510cc8bcf1fe7d41d.gif

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Get bias lighting.
it increases perception of contrast in darker environments and negates the effect of BLB / glow (except in extreme circumstances)

Extremely happy with this setup

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
It's sort of a crapshoot / panel lottery. If it's a solid panel it's not an issue.

I bought an Acer Predator XB27 and it had really distracting backlight bleed, but I exchanged it on Amazon because of a dead pixel and the replacement had almost no bleed. Does fine in my home office with no lights on.