• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
depends on the requirements, i do not usually replay a game, but if i really liked and it's something doable without replaying the whole game i may give a try

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Nah, ill just look up other endings on youtube. I dont often replay games, especially not multiple play throughs back to back.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Depends on how much work it is. If it's nothing more than making certain choices instead of others, I'll usually go for it. If it's a fairly minor extension off the main plot, I'll usually go for that as well. If it requires replaying the game or a great amount of busy work, then I'll ignore it

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
The one "spoiler" that I sometimes like to know while going through a game is if there are multiple endings and what the requirements are since I can't guarantee that I'll want to replay it anytime soon. My wife will usually do this for me so I can avoid spoilers. If it's a choice at the end, I'll just save before it and re-load. If it requires events throughout the entirety of a game and locks you into a specific path, I'll try to go for the "true ending" unless it's absurdly difficult/time consuming to get.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
as said by many, depends. for cyberpunk 2077
it involved choosing exactly the right responses in a single conversation, which, with a guide, was pretty easy to do...

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Something like:

High Destroy "Breath" ending

Yeah

Arkham Knight... Nope

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
No, because I think this is an absolute bullshit mechanic that robs the VAST majority of people who play a game of the actual/correct ending in the small hope that it creates some sort of replayability/extends the life of the game. I play the game, beat it, and then Youtube the other ending - and typically get pretty annoyed about it.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
These are honestly one of my biggest pet peeves in gaming. I will try to get the best ending, but if its too much, I will nope out (and if I read about a bad one ahead of time, honestly, It could prevent me purchasing/trying the game altogether. ).

Just really encountered a really stupid one in Trails of Cold Steel 4 (not hard to obtain, just stupid)
You play through the whole game normally, face a hard, lengthy and annoying final boss for it to end with the main character dying, the party in anguish, and credits roll. Pretty shitty. Then the game offers you to reload a save just prior to the last boss with a vague hint it might go differently this time, , where you get some deus ex maxima item just outside the boss room, then you fight the boss again (again, a difficult, lengthy, and annoying fight I might add which was REALLY not excited to repeat, but it makes you slog through it..) And instead of dying, deus ex maxima happens, you don't die this time, and you fight another even more annoying and lengthier boss fight, and then finally get the real, mega happy ending.

I just didn't really get why you had to go through the whole exercise to begin with. Just pure padding and nonsense storytelling, and nothing they couldn't have done the first time through rather than forcing a shit end, and a 2nd time through the final boss and yet another before getting the ending you actually want.. None of the prior games in the franchise pulled this sort of thing, and don't understand why it was done here. Dumb.

Edit- and I will go further and say, this was extra annoying, since this is the ending to a 100 hour game, which actually comes after 3 prior 100 hour games in Cold Steel 1, 2, and 3 (and possibly you could say 5 more other than that too, if you count Trails in the Sky trilogy and Crossbell dualogy games) since this game is essentially the culmination of ALL of those games- multiple hundred of hours of games- like 800 hours of gameplay. So, it felt like they really held you hostage to get this true ending. Which granted, the extra 2-3 hours or so it demanded me is small next to that, but in that final leg, I really felt like my time wasn't being respected, unlike the rest of the games, while long, I felt actually earned my time with them- they are just massive games, with tons of content, dialogue, story, etc- but this was just busywork thrust upon the gamer to get an acceptable ending.

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Depends on how bullshit it is.

Steins Gate... sure, the game is well designed that you can just jump to the right parts of the story and make appropriate choices. Great game.

Some of the older Atelier games... fuck no. It demands a perfect run, needing you to start over and spend your time in the exact way they want you to. I don't want to play an entire game looking at a guide.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
My desire to go for a secret ending is directly proportional to the difficulty In attaining the ending AND a z-axis of how important it is to the story.

So things like VN? I will make sure I get the best possible ending first try, if it takes more than one shot then I likely will go back on FF until the relevant section.

for RPGs? Again best ending first unless I don't know about it until completion. For instance persona 4 and Persona 5. With P4, I DIDN'T know about the best ending first time around, discovering it only after completing and setting the game down for a while. So when Golden came out I went for the best possible from day 1.

Same with P5 (though it is far more obvious how to attain the best ending with that one than P4).

if it takes massive completathons and hours and hours of work for a 5 minute movie (I'm looking at you Kingdom Hearts 1) then no I'm not.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yes, if it doesn't involve difficulty modes.

Don't want to play games for days/weeks/months to get the bad ending,

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Depends on the game. If I don't mind replaying it I'll definitely go for it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I typically don't bother if it's something like "collect all these things". If it's something like "do this instead of that" I don't mind though.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on what you need to do, big boring grinds like Crash, Arkham Knight or Shadow of War? No, I'll just watch on YouTube. Something like Bloodborne's I'll likely do if not by save scumming, just another playthrough. Hardest I'm not sure as I probably used a guide if it's super missable. Maybe Undertale true pacifist ending, as I did it mostly without a guide (though knew it was possible).

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Always. If there is a true ending, I often don't see the point in getting anything other than it.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Sure, as long as the requirements are fun and stuff I would do anyway. I don't have time to slog through tedious content to 'earn' a different ending cutscene, if the requirements are dumb I'll just YouTube the other endings.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I generally like to go into games blind, unless it's a rogue lite, once I've beaten it I'm done.

I totally wish I had motivation to beat a game a second time, it's just a lot of time.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
For certain games where I know there will be one - ALWAYS. Kingdom Hearts 100% of the time since Deep Dive. I'll play on the highest difficulty, get as much shit as I can just to hopefully unlock it. If I don't see one at the end of the game, I'll look up if I'm missing any requirements.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how much of a pain it is to do it, so I guess it really depends on the game. Something like Undertale? Getting the best ending was a true joy that elevated the game from "that was pretty good" to "one of the most memorable of the year".

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Only with VN's, otherwise if it's too much trouble I'll look it up on youtube.

With some VN's it's actaully not as easy as it sounds sometimes. You gotta make just the right choices at the right time. I remember Stein's; Gate being particularly awful in that regard. I just used a walkthrough from the start, but I don't know how you would make just the right choices to get the true ending.
Same. I'll do it with visual novels but just look it up for most other games.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Really depends on how much I enjoy the game and how far out of the way I need to go to get it. If its something that doesn't require extensive grinding and a single-playthrough of course. If it's something like say Crash 4 where you need to 100%+ completion for an additional few minutes to the ending nope. However, I did get the Arkham Knight full ending, I'm inconsistent lol.