• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
If so do you do it on your first playthrough? If not the first what playthrough is it usually? And what was the hardest one to get?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Only with VN's, otherwise if it's too much trouble I'll look it up on youtube.

With some VN's it's actaully not as easy as it sounds sometimes. You gotta make just the right choices at the right time. I remember Stein's; Gate being particularly awful in that regard. I just used a walkthrough from the start, but I don't know how you would make just the right choices to get the true ending.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
It depends on the requirements I guess. I'm not doing all those Riddler trophies in Arkham Knight when I can just go to YouTube.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
If I find out about it, and the only choice is Normal/True ending, then I'll go for it on my first playthrough if the requirements aren't ridiculous. I don't have time for multiple playthroughs these days, so a few extra hours to get that extra ending are fine to me.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Depends on how hard it is to get. If I can get it fairly naturally while playing through the game, I'll make a little extra effort to get it. Otherwise, I just watch it on YouTube.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I see how difficult it is, and how much I like the game's story and decide. And usually on my first playthrough unless it is forced only on second playthrough.

I usually try to get secret endings in Kingdom Hearts games since they are not that hard and I love KH's story.

I gave up on the true 100% ending on FFX-2 since it seemed way too hard to get. I did get the regular true ending though.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Not on a first playthrough, but maybe with something like P4G, where a second playthrough just seems like an unreasonable demand.

I did stumble into Sekiro's "true" ending on a first playthrough, but I think that was just because I was thorough.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
If it has extra playable content behind it like Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, yeah I'll make more of an effort.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
If the requirements are reasonable I'll try and get it.

That said I dont understand why developers spend so much resources on true/secret endings when such a small % actually completes games to begin with. It can be nice for the die hard fans I guess. I prefer games that has one ending honestly.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
If I've naturally figured out how to achieve the true ending on a 1st playthrough, sure. I'm not going to look it up and risk spoiling myself though - not until I've played the game at least once.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Depends on how different the ending is and how you get it. Some games it feels like the true ending is really just part of the game and you'd be missing a lot from not getting it, like Hollow Knight and Blaster Master Zero. If it's a game where the difference is just a minor change in a cutscene then I don't really care.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Does it have an associated Achievement?
If it does then yes.
If it doesn't: no. Hell no.

Oct 27, 2017
I've only ever done it for Kingdom Hearts 1 and Assassins Creed II, I don't have the time or willpower for that collectathon bs

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
It's an effort-to-reward calculus.

Are the requirements largely inline with what I was already doing and/or lead to new content? Okay, I'll do it (e.g. Persona 5R's true ending path). But if the requiements are a tall order and all you get is a new scene... eh, I'll probably just YouTube it (e.g. what I begrudingly do for most KH games).

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Only if its reasonable and not something completely bat shit crazy like Arkham Knight.

Fuck those Riddler challenges.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Certainly not on Arkham Knight or Shadow of War, or if you must play on the highest difficulty or anything like that.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
depends on length of game for me. If i'm putting in 80 hours of my life and i get the bad ending, i'm heading to youtube. I have a life to live

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah I'll often go for it in my first playthrough if it's possible but more for completions sake, rather than any real interest in what it means for the story.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Only if it's easy to get to through a previous save. Otherwise I'll try to watch it on Youtube maybe.

Oct 27, 2017
Depends heavily on what i have to do to get it; I'm not going through all 243 riddler trophies for such a small payoff when I can get the same on YouTube, but I will put the effort for games like the latest God of War, which requires the littlest of efforts.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's a bit irrational, but sometimes just the idea of there being a "true ending" at all turns me off a bit. It often feels implemented in a very mechanical and "game-y" way, turns the experience into some sort of rubric you have to adhere to in order to receive the intended narrative. I know that's not always the case though.

It really depends on how I feel about the game and the requirements for the ending upon completion.

Last edited:

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Generally yes. The most recent exception was Arkham Knight, which I didn't enjoy enough to bother, especially with the requirements for it.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
In the first try I don't bother looking up if the game has multiple endings or whatever.

If I like the game after my first playthrough, then definitely I'll go for it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If it's easy, yes. If it's something like Hollow Knight, I'm not going to waste my time on it.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
No

But if a game has an early "bad" ending, I will continue past it. (I'm thinking of persona where the year can end early)

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not looking up how to get any aendings the first time I play through something — it has to be all organic.

So it depends entirely on how strenuous the achievement requirements are, and on how signposted the different endings are (eg is it obvious that there is a true ending or is it something you wouldn't even know about unless you hit some random unrealised criteria — as much as I love Persona 4, I can see that happening for a lot of people.).

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Not usually, because it normally involves collecting all the tchotchkes, or beating the game on the hardest difficulty, and fuck all that.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nah. I'll take whatever ending my playthough led to. Maybe, on the off chance that I actually replay a game, I'll try to get a different ending, but I'll generally not go out of my way to do so.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I mostly YouTube difficult-to-get-secret-endings. I don't have much time to spend many hours doing a particular thing just to get a 2 minutes cutscene.

Whoever saw the secret ending to Parasite Eve by actually doing what you are intended to do, you have my respect.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Typically, yes. Bloodborne comes immediately to mind. Not sure it was worth it though - since it just makes things more confusing.