• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

In this scenario, do you stay honest or do you lie?

• I stay honest and tell them the truth: it's an ugly name.

• I lie because I am not opening this can of worms NO SIR.

Results are only viewable after voting.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So in this scenario, the people in question are your friends or colleagues. You have some relationship with them, and you see them regularly or semi-regularly.

They just got a new baby, and they gave it a name that you find ugly, an opinion that of course, you keep to yourself. But THEN, to your horror, they ask you directly: "What do you think of this name? Is it a good name? Did I mess up?" You think the name is ugly and you think that they messed up.

Are you honest or do you lie?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I don't give much of a shit about names. It's like who cares. But if it actually is an ugly name that would make me question their sanity than I would tell em. Cause that would have to be a weird fucking name.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Depends on the name.

Is it like, their kid will be bullied? Then yea I'll say something

If I just don't like it, then I don't care I won't say anything.

Oct 25, 2017
If asked, I might give a tactful opinion BEFORE the baby is born, but there is no way I would criticize the name AFTER the baby is born. What's done is done.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Lie.

It's not like their gonna change the kids name. Also, names typically grow on you over time.

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
I would be, and have been, honest without being downright insensitive. Nothing wrong with politely telling someone you don't really like the name. We've named our daughter 'Ida' and multiple people have stated they feel its old fashioned. But that's exactly why we like it.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have seen someone bust out laughing when an expecting parent asked them this question. LOL it pissed the hell out of the new parent.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
We named our youngest Riot and my parents had like the two polar opposite reactions while still being great parents:
Dad: "Well she'll never get confused with anyone at school! I like it! You know you're dooming yourself to a crazy kiddo right! hahaha anyways how are you..."

Mom: "Oohhh Riot? That's so unique. So we also liked Sarah's idea of Eden or Rusa...."
Me: "Pretty sure we settled on Riot, mum."
Mom: "Well whatever you pick i'm sure it'll be just perfect, i'm so excited!!"

LoL like ok lady i hear you. Still named her Riot :-D

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
People not being honest is how we ended up with Elon Musk's, West's and other dumb celeb's kids names.

Don't you want to prevent disasters?

Of course if they've already made the name legal, then it's much harder to change.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Unless there's some direct thing like their initials say CUM or ASS, you smile and go "Oh, is it a family name?" and then you keep moving.

Oct 27, 2017
if it's already on a birth certificate or is shared with a dead relative, lie

and make sure to give little Turok all your love and support

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I lie. Unless they name their kid Hitler or Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance or some shit there's no reason for me to voice a negative opinion on what they choose to name them.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
If they're asking, they're obviously insecure about the decision and nothing good will come out of saying you don't like the name. Especially if the baby is named after a dear relative or someone equally as important to them.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
screen-shot-2015-01-29-at-3-41-07-pm.png

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I would probably only go as far as saying "Eh, it's a little weird", and leave it at that. If it's something that might cause problems for the kid later in life (school, etc), I might mention it. I couldn't really see myself saying it's outright "ugly", though.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I wanna say I'd tell them but my cousin went with aiden as a name and the other went logan and basically everybody goes with bland ass popular names.

my cousin is pregnant and she's going with mason, like wow, so creative and different.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I lie because it could be his grandma name or whatever, you never know.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble imagining someone asking me my opinion on a name that's already been finalized.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
No judgment unless it's something the kid would get teased over. My childhood friend was named Cactus, so I know it's a thing.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I don't lie. I haven't lied in many years, and I would only consider lying if it were to protect someone from serious and undeserved harm. I'd tell them if I didn't like it, but I doubt I'd have strong feelings about it to the extent that it would hurt them, anyway.
The people voting 'tell the truth" are lying. Come on, get real.
Nope.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A few years ago, my friend Josh told me he was naming his song JJ, as in, Josh Jr. I had a good laugh and we moved on. In the weeks before his baby was born I asked if they had settled on a name and he said "yeah I told you, JJ". I told him "no come on, what's the name?". Again, he said "JJ". I felt a bit like a jerk. My advice to anyone is to just say "Oh that's so interesting" and move on. Unless it's family, maybe.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't lie. I haven't lied in many years, and I would only consider lying if it were to protect someone from serious and undeserved harm. I'd tell them if I didn't like it, but I doubt I'd have strong feelings about it to the extend that it would hurt them, anyway.

Nope.

Surely you lie! I don't think I can trust someone that doesn't lie.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I don't lie. I haven't lied in many years, and I would only consider lying if it were to protect someone from serious and undeserved harm. I'd tell them if I didn't like it, but I doubt I'd have strong feelings about it to the extend that it would hurt them, anyway.

Nope.

I still don't believe you. Lol. More power to you though.

For me, life is too short to piss people off for something that doesn't matter.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
All my friends know not to ask me questions if what they're looking for is insincere validation, so it's unlikely I'd be asked this about a name that's already set in stone. I'd probably make upon hearing it anyway:
ValidGlisteningAnkole-max-1mb.gif

... so any further explanation would be redundant. :D

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be tactful, but I'll express some reservations. Something like "eh, not my favorite" or "honestly, it's a bit old-fashioned, IMO."

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I think it depends on name. I maybe don't call it an "ugly" name like you said, but perhaps mention why it bothers me. This is one I heard recently: "Rafe, interesting name. Not sure I like it, it sounds too much like rape." Easy, honest, done. It's not being ugly about it, it's being honest and constructive as they may not think about the implications.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the asshole they keep around, they'd expect me to tell them the truth, so they'd hear it if I thought the name was shitty.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a parent of two children. If I directly asked you what you thought of a name, I would imagine I wanted an honest answer.

Now if you asked me what my one of kid's name were, I said "blank" and you replied with "that's an awful name" or "you should have named him/her..." then that would be insulting.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
When people ask for your opinion in my experience they never mean it. They just want you to agree with them.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
"I wouldn't use it for my kid, but if you like it and it doesn't hurt anyone, who cares?"

But I also have boring friends who would choose common names.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Surely you lie! I don't think I can trust someone that doesn't lie.
Haha. I rarely tell people irl that I don't lie, because nobody believes it, ironically enough.
I still don't believe you. Lol. More power to you though.

For me, life is too short to piss people off for something that doesn't matter.
This is exactly why I typically only tell close friends that I don't lie. Nobody else is likely to believe it. The thing for me is that I don't have a lot of thoughts that would hurt people, so I don't have to worry too much that speaking my mind will upset them (unless they're shitty people, in which case I don't care). I doubt I'd be bothered enough by a name to care.