• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ideally, do you need a nap?

• Yep.

Votes: 149 61.8%
  • Nope.

Votes: 92 38.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Jon Carter

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The real answer is that ideally you're getting enough sleep in a block to not need a nap. The reality is that a lot of people can't due that do to life circumstances, work schedules, or health issues. So often enough a nap is better than powering through the day on insufficient sleep.

The reason I made the thread is because I was reading an article from the National Sleep Foundation linked earlier that said that even with seven to nine hours of sleep a night, most people will feel tired between 1 and 3 p.m., so it looks like it's not just a matter of not getting enough sleep at night or doing too much during the day. Sounds like that's just how we're wired.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
The real answer is that ideally you're getting enough sleep in a block to not need a nap. The reality is that a lot of people can't due that do to life circumstances, work schedules, or health issues. So often enough a nap is better than powering through the day on insufficient sleep.

Life is about give and take. Sometimes you go to bed on time and get plenty of sleep, sometimes you stay up till 2am playing videogames and you suffer the next day. That's when a nap is a lifesaver.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have two kids 3 and under and by 2pm every day I'm dead. The problem is, if I do nap (the days when I'm not working) I feel absolutely dreadful for about an hour after I wake up. Like, just so grumpy and annoyed.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
If I take a nap my entire sleep schedule get's all bonked. But I do make sure I get 7-10 hours of sleep per night.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm 3.5 hours into a 12 hour night shift, 7pm to 7am right now. I had about 5 hours of sleep last night and I woke up today at 11am, a whole 8 hours before this shift even started.

I don't get a break, I'm working this shift by myself and must stay awake for my duties.

But, ideally, I could use a nap, yep.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've taken a nap every single day of my adult working life. At least 30 minutes, sometimes 1 hour+.

I credit it as my fountain of youth. I'm 41 and have a 19 year old and people often think I'm their brother. This is probably genetics but I credit the naps.

Oct 27, 2017
According to "Why we sleep" by Matthew Walker a two phase sleep cycle is completely normal. As long as you can keep it consistent and have no trouble falling asleep though. So short naps rather early in the day are okay.

Sleep consistency is key for an optimal health.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I suppose I don't need them, but I love them. If I don't have anything to do on a weekend I will definitely be napping.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I rarely nap and don't need them, but a good nap feels really nice. I usually don't fall asleep unless I'm really tired, but closing my eyes for a bit in those cases can still be reinvigorating.

I've had phases in my life where I did nap regular since my schedule varied day by day, but my current job keeps me in a pretty consistent routine.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Well, is it the cause?

Specifically, the study showed an increased risk in people who nap long and often (at least an hour a day), not moderate nappers. They found an increased risk of heart problems, cancer and respiratory illnesses that weren't explained by any of the control factors (13+ related to habits, diet and preexisting conditions).

The author(s) couldn't point to a specific cause but since chronic fatigue is a common symptom in various medical conditions, they suggest that the correlation may just be a sign of undiagnosed health issues (rather than napping itself being the cause).

EDIT: accidental double post, meant to edit

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I don't nap, but all the advice I had ever heard before stepping into this thread is that naps are not only beneficial, but having an afternoon siesta is how the human body is wired. In extension, the single block of sleep we enforce upon ourselves is a recent cultural change stemming from the Industrial Revolution that our bodies have not adapted to.

So now I don't know what to believe.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
When are people even finding time to nap, I work from home 3 days a week and I'm not sure where I'd even fit a nap in.

Even when my son is having a nap that gives me time to do chores that I couldn't do whilst he's awake.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naps are dope. But some people aren't built for the nap life.
Me? I'm a well practiced napper. I power nap with the best of 'em. A good 30/45min nap does wonders.
but I also have a fucked up sleep schedule and have incredibly night owl tendencies so what do I know

johan

Oct 29, 2017
I can't nap. Either it takes me too long to fall asleep or I sleep for too long

anyhow since I've been getting plenty of sleep and exercise regularly I don't feel all that tired during the day. No kids though

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Absolutely savage sleep last night and wake up to this lol. Instant yes on the poll.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Naps are really bad for your sleep schedule and, by extension, your overall health. Go to bed a bit earlier or sleep in the next day, but I always advise people to do whatever they can to avoid completely disrupting their circadian rhythm like that.

The best thing to do when feeling sleepy is to find some sort of mentally stimulating activity, anything at all, to occupy yourself for an hour or two. It should pass, unless you legitimately got like one hour of sleep the night before.

Naps are fine. People just overdo it and take like 2-3 hour naps and that's when it messes up your sleep schedule. If you're able take hour long or less power naps then it'll rejuvenate you and not make you feel lethargic afterwards like long naps will.

OP
OP
Jon Carter

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't nap, but all the advice I had ever heard before stepping into this thread is that naps are not only beneficial, but having an afternoon siesta is how the human body is wired. In extension, the single block of sleep we enforce upon ourselves is a recent cultural change stemming from the Industrial Revolution that our bodies have not adapted to.

So now I don't know what to believe.

What you heard is correct, it's just that the nap shouldn't be too long.

When are people even finding time to nap, I work from home 3 days a week and I'm not sure where I'd even fit a nap in.

Even when my son is having a nap that gives me time to do chores that I couldn't do whilst he's awake.

Same here. But when I'm really tired and my wife doesn't need the car... I take the car to work and take a nap there. Once, my wife had a crazy work schedule for a few weeks and I would only be able to sleep for three or four hours a night, so I would take the car to work and just sleep for an extra two hours lol

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you feel the strong need to take a nap then you should instead be investing your time into figuring out why you're not getting the rest required at night. No amount of naps can provide the health benefits that a single uninterrupted night of sleep can provide. I suffer from severe sleep apnea and I've had several doctors expound the importance of a single, solid night of sleep over an irregular nap routine.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Usually I find them to be detrimental, if I nap I will often not be able to sleep well alter.

Sometimes though they're essential. If I need to be awake for something and I'm exhausted, a couple of hours can be a life saver.