• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
Not really shock Mick isn't blameless in all of this. I trust id software to know how important the music is to doom and be as accommodating as possible.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Bad form to air out all this dirty laundry just to try and help one id employee save face for something that, whether fault of his or not, was ultimately a disappointing product to deliver to fans. Seems like both sides made mistakes, but putting all of this out there is just a bad look. Feel bad for whoever they bring in for the third game. Feels like it's bound to disappoint all told now. Good luck.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Just tossing on here pretty much what my thoughts I've said on twitter, but one person rearranging, programming, EQing/Mixing, and attempting to master a project that big is kinda unrealistic. He shoulda got some back up, it was a bigger endeavor than the first OST, he had less time... with the first game he already had the finished game out there while he could focus on the OST, not the case here.

I'm not sure why they didn't force him to dump source audio project files when they first agreed that Chad would help, just that little bit right there would've ended up with a better backup product.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
This is about what I expected. Mick wasnt done and they needed to get it out.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Bad form to air out all this dirty laundry just to try and help one id employee save face for something that, whether fault of his or not, was ultimately a disappointing product to deliver to fans.
This ain't it. Marty expressly stated this letter exists because their employees were being harassed because it was Mick Gordon who threw them under the bus. Did you forget how this whole thing started weeks ago?

Nahual Amini

Oct 30, 2017
yeah and the constraints on those artists are not equal to the constraints put on someone like Mick Gordon.

Coding and programming can be rushed if need be. The problems that we see around the industry with crunch is proof of that. But you cannot Rush a soundtrack. That is just not how it works.

I'm a coder/programmer, and I find insulting that you consider that my work is less important and can be easily rushed.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Did that "Maybe they had someone from marketing do it?" quotething come from Mick or just Internet being Internet?

I remember that started to float around soon after controversy started, but can't find receipts that Mick ever said anything like that about Chad.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
This ain't it. Marty expressly stated this letter exists because their employees were being harassed because it was Mick Gordon who threw them under the bus.

I'd imagine he didn't want to face the huge backlash that was happening and honestly I can't blame him for that, assholes online are ruthless and he's one guy; I would say though he definitely could've done better than hang out those vague statements that he could see were being misinterpreted. Should've talked it over with Bethesda first before making a statement if he wasn't sure.

Either way, I hope he's doing well, music in the game from what I've sounds awesome. Shame about the soundtrack but it's not the end of the world.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Did that "Maybe they had someone from marketing do it?" quotething come from Mick or just Internet being Internet?

I remember that started to float around soon after controversy started, but can't find receipts that Mick ever said anything like that about Chad.

IIRC that was said by him on a youtube post with someone doing a song cover, which they based on one of the games trailers;' he noted that the abrupt timing changes in the trailer music that the guy doing the cover included in his version were not his doing in the original track, but someone missing the timing while clipping the sound bits together. I believe he said it was probably a marketing intern who put the trailer together, not Chad.

The clip does sound off if you give it a listen.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, what a turn of events. No one comes out here in a good light but the statement from id was much more thorough and therefore I'm more inclined to believe their version of the events.

Not having Micks music in future games is a major blow nonetheless.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
This ain't it. Marty expressly stated this letter exists because their employees were being harassed because it was Mick Gordon who threw them under the bus. Did you forget how this whole thing started weeks ago?
So in order to defend one employee he has to publicly trash a business partner? I'm sure that'll have talent lining up at the door to score the third! Maybe he instead should have supported the employee directly as opposed to playing the blame game.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks but I look forward to what Mick does next and I look forward to what id Software does next. Killer Instinct season 3 sounded great. DKC games managed without someone like David Wise. Mick will be free to stretch his wings a bit more and the next Doom can use the new music to help build it's own identity.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
Ah, Doom being resurrected was a feel-good story, but didn't expect to end this soon. We really can't get more than two good mainline Doom games in a row.

What we need now is Masters of Doom 2! Already a lot of drama with the new Doom, time for a new book.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
I already apologized for the tone of the post. I didn't mean to be insulting. I made several posts after that one.
I get where you're coming from. You seem like you're a really big fan of Mick and his music. I hope that they're able to work out their issues in the near future.

But this is business man. It's a very intense industry and sometimes things don't go according to plan and falling outs happen.

It sucks when this stuff happens because the fans are the ones who suffer. But at least you got 2 dope soundtracks out of it.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they have Fredrik Thordendal from Meshuggah play on Wolfenstein? Maybe they can get him back. Mick Gordon is basically industrial Meshuggah anyway.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Mick created a great soundtrack, but it's not like he is the only great artist out there. KI season 3 didn't have Mick and still had some badass music.
Season 3's tracks were nowhere near as good as 1 and 2's IMO..and that was with TWO composers collaborating on less characters.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
A dang shame. Well I just hope whenever the next doom game comes the soundtrack is as good as its predecessors.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
As I suspected; bad communication and not enough time. Sucks for both parties. Both Marty and Mick seem like decent people so I doubt the truth is that far off from what Marty outlined. I'm surprised at how candid it is, but I see this more as a defense of an employee rather than an attempt to cover their own asses.

I'm not surprised, however, to read that the lead audio engineer at id fucking software didn't brickwall limit the tracks. That people even accused him of doing that is beyond me. To get that job, and produce audio at AAA+ level quality that such a studio expects, requires a very talented and knowledgeable individual.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Just tossing on here pretty much what my thoughts I've said on twitter, but one person rearranging, programming, EQing/Mixing, and attempting to master a project that big is kinda unrealistic. He shoulda got some back up, it was a bigger endeavor than the first OST, he had less time... with the first game he already had the finished game out there while he could focus on the OST, not the case here.

I'm not sure why they didn't force him to dump source audio project files when they first agreed that Chad would help, just that little bit right there would've ended up with a better backup product.

Milk shouldn't have threw people under the bus via twitter dms like a third grader

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
So in order to defend one employee he has to publicly trash a business partner? I'm sure that'll have talent lining up at the door to score the third! Maybe he instead should have supported the employee directly as opposed to playing the blame game.
Again, it's Mick Gordon who slung mud, they were forced to explain the situation due to the resulting targeted harassment. Mick Gordon does not get to say whatever he wants just because you like him, his words directly lead to id Software needing to explain the full situation, there is no buts about this.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Again, it's Mick Gordon who slung mud, they were forced to explain the situation due to the resulting targeted harassment. Mick Gordon does not get to say whatever he wants just because you like him, his words directly lead to id Software needing to explain the full situation, there is no buts about this.

Quoted for truth.

If this keeps out people who think they can throw others under the bus to mask the fact they are inefficient then good.

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
Disappointing to be sure, but there's room for other composers to come in. I just hope that whoever steps in doesn't try to simply emulate what Mick was doing, much the same that he moved in a different direction than what had come before.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
So much drama. If only people just learned how to communicate clearly, this situation could have been avoided.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
The only comment I will share concerning this situation is this:

It sucks for all parties involved:

id software
Mick Gordon himself
The fans

That is all

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can get behind someone else having to do it because Mick delivered the stuff too late, but did the others have to mix it like garbage? It suffers so much because of it.

Shame that all of the parties involved lose in the end...

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Mmm that is some premium corporate shade. The kind of e-mail where you bcc someone's boss's boss before you click send, then hope you run into them later at the racquetball court.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
One can hope for a full remixed soundtrack in the future.

I still land majority blame on iD/Bethesda. Including the full OST with release after Doom2016 was a bone-headed decision.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
My first thought was, "Maybe they can get the guy that did the amazing XBox One Killer Instinct soundtrack." My next thought was :(

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Sounds as if the blame rests primarily with Mick, but I suppose only those personally involved will ever really know for sure.

In any case, we got two outstanding soundtracks out of Mick, and if that's all we ever get I'll still count it as a win.

Doom lived and thrived before Mick, and I'm sure it can after if the quality remains high in other areas.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
yeah and the constraints on those artists are not equal to the constraints put on someone like Mick Gordon.

Coding and programming can be rushed if need be. The problems that we see around the industry with crunch is proof of that. But you cannot Rush a soundtrack. That is just not how it works.

Please never write such crap.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks, but it isn't the end of the world. Same shit happened with Killer Instinct and Season 3 of that still had some good ass music.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
It does seem like Bethesda put Mick in a lose/lose situation, so I can understand him being frustrated and am willing to give him a little bit of latitude for some of the choices he made. But slinging mud on Twitter like a crybaby, especially towards people who probably don't deserve it... c'mon, dude.

In any case, I'm sure Bethesda'll find someone who can do a decent enough job on the next Doom OST (Reznor would be great), and I doubt Mick'll have a hard time finding new work either.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
This is all very sad and everyone, Id, Mick and us and most importantly me, loses in this situation. A case of unfortunate time constraints and legal considerations combined with a big workload and bad communication.

As a small time composer myself I can and do sympathise with Mick on some aspects but he was 100% in the wrong for making the vague comments on twitter that threw Id under the bus and then not coming in to dispel the situation when the community started hating on Chad under false assumptions. I get the feeling that both the people at Id and Mick himself are nice people in general and this is all a very unfortunate situation where Mick has more to apologize for.

I'm super bummed out that this whole on going feelgood resurgence of Doom and it's killer soundtracks had to end like this. God dammit Mick why you had to start mouthing off when you and we had a good thing going on?

I don't envy the person who has to follow in his footsteps. In a vacuum KI season 3 OST is decent but felt a bit watered down after having been acclimated to Mick's bone crunching sound. There are many talented composers out there but so far I haven't heard anyone who can quite do what Mick does, so I hope whoever comes next won't even attempt to. I hope they go for something different. Something that the new person can absolutely nail and claim as their own that no one else in turn could really imitate.

Mar 21, 2018
Just get Devin Townsend in and have him channel his SYL days.

Or if you want a riff machine, get Tommy Victor of Prong. He's a dab had at Industrial too as he played on Ministry albums.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
Well thanks to Marty for coming out with the story, kinda sucks for everyone involved.

I love Mick's music and I'm sad to see him go, but I'll be happy to pick up the soundtrack when it's available for everyone.

I look forward to seeing who they think can fill his shoes.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Oooooh man, I need to go to sleep now.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
That really sucks man

Maybe ID can hire this guy tho

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.