• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
That sounds really really shitty of Mick. He really screwed up and tried to pin it all on id/Bethesda because he knows they're easy targets and people would back him. As I said, really fuckin shitty.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
He didn't meet his contractual deadlines. That's got nothing to do with artistic integrity. It's still a commercial arrangement.

If one of my creative contractors failed to meet deadlines, we have a grown up conversation about what that means, and try to find a way forward.
Why would I care about the contract? The final product is what matters to me.

It's obvious that they made a business decision here, that doesn't put them in the right.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

It's obvious that they made a business decision here, that doesn't put them in the right.
Every single game you play is the result of work done under commercial agreements with employees, contractors and so on. They don't happen unless people stick to those agreements. If Gordon failed multiple times to meet his contractual deadlines, as alleged, then this is on him.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Edit: I have already apologized for my post and the tone behind it. I have also made several posts since.

Last edited:

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Don't give [clearly] impossible deadlines then.
You realize the soundtrack came out right? So... obviously not impossible, somebody managed it.

In fact:
As we hit April, we grew increasingly concerned about Mick delivering the OST to us on time. I personally asked our Lead Audio Designer at id, Chad, to begin work on id versions of the tracks – a back-up plan should Mick not be able to deliver on time.
That right there is a crazy deadline.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
So... It's pretty much a clusterfuck, which could be not as bad had the knee jerk reactions didn't sour things up.
I mean, you can clearly see the fallout here comes from how some people at id got attacked because of Gordon's comment.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
yeah and the constraints on those artists are not equal to the constraints put on someone like Mick Gordon.

Coding and programming can be rushed if need be. The problems that we see around the industry with crunch is proof of that. But you cannot Rush a soundtrack. That is just not how it works.
Then he shouldn't have accepted it. This is on him. There's a lot more to this, though.

What you wrote is so insulting, though. Good lord. I'm out. You're unreasonable.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
Ive worked as a freelance artist for the games industry in the past and I think its worth repeating that its a mutually agreed upon timeline. If you are given a timeline thats unreasonable you'll tell the employers from the outset. Sometimes this can be different if theres additional circumstances (like being in a rough financial position so you have to take the work no matter what) - but by and large those deadlines are a mutual thing. If Mick thought those deadlines were unreasonable he would have said something.

Whatever resulted in those deadlines being missed is another story, but this is not a case of id being awful corporate overlords that hate art, this is simply how businesses work.

You do not miss your deadlines as a contractor. Thats one of the first rules you learn.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017

Because we don't live in a dreamworld.

Products are created on deadlines.

Contracts are created to make sure deadlines are met.

People that don't want to agree to contracts are free to do so.

People that agree to contracts should do everything in their power to ensure that those deadlines are met.

You're darn right it's a business decision because it's a business. That's called work.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
yeah and the constraints on those artists are not equal to the constraints put on someone like Mick Gordon.

Coding and programming can be rushed if need be. The problems that we see around the industry with crunch is proof of that. But you cannot Rush a soundtrack. That is just not how it works.
This is one of the worst posts I've seen on this site.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the public facing artists like Mick Gordon have so much more pressure and constraints than the ones doing 14 hour days, 6 days a week. I feel so bad for him.

And again, someone managed to finish the soundtrack in time, this was not an impossible deadline that he agreed to. He just didn't hit the deadline.

Last edited:

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna echo the fact that Mick had his own hand this shit stew, but it sucks that he won't be apart of the upcoming DLC.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018

50291.jpg

Not a good take...

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
There is no clear evidence, just statements from 2 parties who disagree about this matter.

However, I do appreciate Marty backing up Chad, the audio engineer clearly had a job to do, did it and he's been getting shit on for it.

Mick Gordon is great, but losing him won't be the "end" of anything. All you posters, get off the stage with that overly dramatic nonsense.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Then he shouldn't have accepted it. This is on him. There's a lot more to this, though.

What you wrote is so insulting, though. Good lord. I'm out. You're unreasonable.
Insulting? What? Where?

Also I never said Mick was not at fault here. Only that I was done supporting the series if he was gone.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

Lol come on. Musicians don't get a free pass on contractual deadlines. And your post is potentially insulting to coders, programmers and game artists. You can't rush those things either. It's all work.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
There is no clear evidence, just statements from 2 parties who disagree about this matter.

However, I do appreciate Marty backing up Chad, the audio engineer clearly had a job to do, did it and he's been getting shit on for it.

Mick Gordon is great, but losing him won't be the "end" of anything. Get off the stage with that overly dramatic nonsense.
This statement sounds a lot more authentic than the bitter twitter posts by Mick.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Weird when this story first broke I pictured them fixing it and patching it some how.

Now I'm interested to hear eternal

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Lol come on. Musicians don't get a free pass on contractual deadlines. And your post is potentially insulting to coders, programmers and game artists. You can't rush those things either. It's all work.
I agreed that it's all work. I'm not saying it isn't. But one is more straightforward than the other in my opinion. A Soundtrack isn't something that can be rushed. That's all I'm saying.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
I agreed that it's all work. I'm not saying it isn't. But one is more straightforward than the other in my opinion. A Soundtrack isn't something that can be rushed. That's all I'm saying.
It is not straightforward in the slightest and especially for a game like Doom Eternal where they are crafting their own engine in addition to many complicated components. The fact that Doom Eternal runs so well on all platforms at 60 fps and looks great is a work of art in my opinion. That's why I scratch my head when people shit on id and praise Mick's music. They both did a good job at delivering.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Deeply insulting to pretty much every other person working on the project in every single other profession.
If that's the way I sounded then I apologise. It's not what I intended. But to me the soundtrack to the game is the most important part of it. A well programmed game is nothing without a good soundtrack to accompany it. And that isn't something you can rush.

Mick is in the wrong for agreeing to the time constraints, but ID Software should have known better than to put him under such restrictions in the first place.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020

It's posts like this that make me regret even typing this website's url.

What an absolutely stupid take.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
If that's the way I sounded then I apologise. It's not what I intended. But to me the soundtrack to the game is the most important part of it. A well programmed game is nothing without a good soundtrack to accompany it. And that isn't something you can rush.

Mick is in the wrong for agreeing to the time constraints, but ID Software should have known better than to put him under such restrictions in the first place.
A good soundtrack without a game isn't a game. I repeat, what the fuck

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Mick delivered in-game soundtrack on-ish time, sounds like even that was very against the wire and ID felt nervous if Mick could deliver on time.

It's standalone OST release where it all went off the rails.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
Simply as a person who enjoys the combination of the music and the game - it's a shame. But I do not for a second believe that there isn't someone else who could do just as good of a job of it. Not to throw shade on Gordon at all, but there are a lot of hard-working, professional and talented musicians out there. People put too much stock into names they start to recognize.

effin

Jan 20, 2019

As someone who has released multiple games this is ridiculous. All parts are important in a game. The way you're talking is demeaning to other professions and other art forms, and everything else that goes into a game.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any tracks to listen to to compare against 2016 Doom? I want to hear what makes Eternal's music so different.
The music itself, the compositions, are fine. They're great even, arguably better than 2016. The controversy has to do with the sound mix on the soundtrack release, basically the way the way audio levels are balanced, how loud it is, the dynamic range etc. A lot of that stuff isn't necessarily things that are easy to hear unless you've got a good sound setup or are particularly versed within audio (brickwalling/loudness war in general is a consumer move made to make audio sound louder and heavier for a casual listener), but if you wanna compare the soundtracks more directly, here's the (properly mixed) version of BFG Division in Doom 2016, and here's the (non-properly mixed) Doom Eternal version.

If you want to hear more of Eternal's tracks themselves, here's two personal favorites.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
I agreed that it's all work. I'm not saying it isn't. But one is more straightforward than the other in my opinion. That's all I'm saying.
Nothing on game development is straightforward, god knows I wish that would be the case... but it's not.
You wanna know why crunch happens? Folks begin to think things are as you said, and can be made in a stupid amount of time. So we rush harder than a new CS player, meet the deadline and end up releasing a shit product, filled with bugs.

Not much different to what happened here with Gordon and Id, bad decisions, by bad estimates, by a bad understanding of the scope.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty shitty situation overall, The post seems a little harsh on Mick but to be fair he threw them under the bus in the first place, that audio guy at Id didn't deserve to be called "someone from marketing" or whatever it was Mick said for trying to salvage this mess.
Yeah Mick leaving clipped responses and vaguely going "probably wont work with them again" in twitter dms to random fans (apparently before even saying anything to id if we take marty at his word) makes him look kinda lame (or at least naive of how information travels on the internet). Not like in a "Mick fucked up!" way, cus frankly neither side looks super great in the story but more in a "dude, come on" way.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017

This is so childish. Have you ever considered that if there was no game to begin with, then you wouldn't have any clue who Mick Gordon is to argue for him? Are you aware that you're placing one singular person above all the other people it takes to put a project like Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal together?

It's insulting to put a single person on a pedestal and absolve him of all responsibilities and hold others accountable to those same responsibilities. It doesn't matter if you're a fan or not. People agree to contracts, if they don't fulfill those contracts then that's on them an no one else.

If they don't like the terms of those contracts, then they don't agree to those contracts.

What you don't do is not follow those terms then throw people under the bus and pretend that you're not responsible for any of it.

Plain and simple.