• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
One of the biggest things weakening my hype for AC: Valhalla is the presence of a stamina bar. I've seen this become more prevalent and man, these things suck. I remember when The Witcher 3 made you manage the weight in your inventory and people complained and they took it out, but I'd rather have inventory management. Even weapons that break. (So long as they can be repaired.) Both of these are far preferable to having moments where my character can't dodge or attack.

Genshin Impact is ass in the early game for this too. Traversal isn't fun at all. They say this can be fixed since the stamina bar can be increased, but where I am I teleport whenever possible because waiting for a meter to build up sucks. I'll never forgive the game that caused this to become a popular thing.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I could not agree more. Just make movement feel good, don't limit that good feeling movement behind a guage.

Related: sprint bars.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot the name of the ps2 game, Radient something. But they had stamina meter for running around towns. I was like fuck this right out of my console

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not generally against it but Sekiro proved that you can have a hardcore combat without stamina bars, from the same team that heavily used it on their previous games.

And I'm sure it's not necessary in AC:Valhalla either.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm not against stamina bars. For example Nioh's stamina bar is great because the entire game and mechanics are built around using it.

Stamina bars are pretty inoffensive.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Hell naw. Stamina bars over inventory management every hour of every day of the week.

In the case of the two games in your example I think they were inspired by Breath of the Wild.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Damn straight. This always felt so good.

maxresdefault.jpg

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in favor of both stamina bars and inventory management, but some games would be better off without them. Depends on how these mechanisms integrate with the rest of the game.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro had neither and I loved it. Of course, stamina makes sense for some games, but I really don't think it's essential.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not generally against it but Sekiro proved that you can have a hardcore combat without stamina bars, from the same team that heavily used it on their previous games.
Attack and dodge spamming aren't nearly as prevalent in Sekiro. And posture is a stamina meter of sorts. It's just a different approach to the mechanic and doesn't mean you should just delete it from Dark Souls.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
OK here's my deal: stamina is OK. BUT!!! It should be used for strenuous actions that need to be limited for some kind of strategic resource management.

Running requiring stamina is not fun. It is just busy work. Running in FFXV, Zelda, Dragon's dogma...standard running should not eat stamina. That shiz is not fun.

Sekiro has stamina for fighting. Imagine if Wolf had to slow down when just running. The game would be boring as fuk.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stamina bars do suck not going to lie,

But I can tolerate them if they are significantly upgradable

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
There are games that make stamina bars an integral part of the game design, such as Dark Souls. But yeah, if a game has a stamina that is always getting in the way and making traversal time consuming and unfun then for sure, i'd rather have inventory tetris.

Oct 25, 2017
OK here's my deal: stamina is OK. BUT!!! It should be used for strenuous actions that need to be limited for some kind of strategic resource management.

Running requiring stamina is not fun. It is just busy work. Running in FFXV, Zelda, Dragon's dogma...standard running should not eat stamina. That shiz is not fun.

Sekiro has stamina for fighting. Imagine if Wolf had to slow down when just running. The game would be boring as fuk.
I liked it in FFXV because of the stamina refresh mechanic. It made running from point A to B a little more engaging than both not having any stamina and having stamina without any tricks tied to it. You can sprint endlessly, but you need to time your button presses correctly.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it in FFXV because of the stamina refresh mechanic. It made running from point A to B a little more engaging than both not having any stamina and having stamina without any tricks tied to it. You can sprint endlessly, but you need to time your button presses correctly.
I think they should just have found a better way to make traversal interesting instead of fukboring like running slowly around looking for dino's rocks.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather do inventory management than have unbreakable weapons. (Especially those with annoying side effects. Looking at you, Fire Emblem: Fates.)

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So long as the game is designed around it, I welcome such mechanics. Stamina, durability, inventory management, hunger meters--give it alllll to me.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Hard disagree. If I had to manage my inventory in BotW like crazy I wouldn't play it so much. Stamina doesn't bother me. It actually forces me to slow down and enjoy the scenery.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game, I was just playing Monster Hunter and it's an important part of balance there.

Hard disagree. If I had to manage my inventory in BotW like crazy I wouldn't play it so much. Stamina doesn't bother me. It actually forces me to slow down and enjoy the scenery.

BOTW still has a lot of inventory management since you only have so many space for weapons.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Damn straight. This always felt so good.

maxresdefault.jpg

Should be on the r/oddlysatisying subreddit

Yeah, the answer is pretty ubiquitous in various PC games like MMOs and MOBAs: separate the stamina system based on whether you're in combat or not. If I'm out of combat, give me unlimited sprint. As soon as the fight music kicks in, I have to manage it.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

^^^^

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
anyone that doesn't mind inventory management has never played Destiny 2. Half the time i goto play Destiny...i rethink it, because do i really want to do an hour or more of messing around with my vault?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Hard disagree. Stamina bars are essential components of the combat system in most of my favourite games, lol. Souls games, Nioh, Salt and Sanctuary, Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma.

That said, I agree that running in Dragon's Dogma, at least when there are no hostiles nearby (the game already does have an "enemy detected" mechanic because the music changes when enemies aggro, pawns speak up, etc.), should not consume stamina. It's just busywork when exploring a huge-ass map.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
BOTW still has a lot of inventory management since you only have so many space for weapons.
Weapons is easy, pick the weapon type you want and if it's stronger it's easy to tell. Shields and Bows are even more self explanatory, it's just a matter of space. Hardly management. I like that you can pick up as many items as you want and make as many meals as you could need. I don't want to have to have a limit in that aspect.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
anyone that doesn't mind inventory management has never played Destiny 2. Half the time i goto play Destiny...i rethink it, because do i really want to do an hour or more of messing around with my vault?
This so hard. One of the big things that turns me off with this game. Such a shame too, mechanically I think it's one of the best shooters out there.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Agreed. Stamina tied to running should never be in a game. It is needless annoying padding when going between objectives.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Well, I don't particularly love stamina bars, but inventory management is 100x worse imo

Nov 1, 2017
Massachusetts
Stamina is great as a means of limiting dodging, guarding, fleeing, or certain attack options. The only time it's really terrible is when you're running through empty areas.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Hard disagree. Stamina bars are essential components of the combat system in most of my favourite games, lol. Souls games, Nioh, Salt and Sanctuary, Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma.

That said, I agree that running in Dragon's Dogma, at least when there are no hostiles nearby (the game already does have an "enemy detected" mechanic because the music changes when enemies aggro, pawns speak up, etc.), should not consume stamina. It's just busywork when exploring a huge-ass map.
Basically this. I love how the Souls games or BotW implement stamina, it makes sense and serves as another big mechanic. It's another thing you need to have in mind and plays an active role on every encounter or in the case of BotW, in how you traverse the world. On the other hand, inventory management means pausing the game to do something that in most games is not engaging at all. Survival horror games for example greatly benefit from limited inventory.

IMO BotW is an example of a game that has a great use of stamina bars and a decent use of inventory management (is fast), but The Witcher 3 is an example of a game that does both really really bad.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

The stamina bar is one of the main reasons I don't play those games lol. Not every game is for me of course. But when it starts making it's way into games I usually don't see it, games I love playing, that's when I get irked.

I'll suck it up. I'm sucking it up as I play Genshin Impact. But it takes away from the fun.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Like it's really hard for any game to fuck up a stamina bar to the point its detrimental to the experience. Few games can fuck it up. It's such a simple concept. Most of the time, anyone having an issue with it is simply them being bad at stamina management. You don't know how to stop pressing the buttons, you just keep mashing them. Please stop mashing the buttons.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
If you're running out of stamina in Nioh of all games, a game in which you can immediately get back your stamina with a click of a button, that is your own fault. You're playing like a clown.

Or, I can just stop playing the game. It's fine. I still have plenty of games to play and they made a NiOh 2 so it sold plenty.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The stamina bar in AC Valhalla is only to prevent you from spamming the heavy attack over and over.

It doesn't appear to be that big of a deal.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I'd take stamina bars any day of the week. I hate spending time in menus organizing shit unless the inventory space is fun to manage like the RE games.