• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you like a remake of Zelda 2?

• Yes, it deserves a new coat of paint and qol changes

Votes: 246 65.4%
  • Yes and make it a metroidvania

Votes: 56 14.9%
  • No, it's already perfect

Votes: 17 4.5%
  • No, it sucks and cannot be redeemed

Votes: 44 11.7%
  • Remake the CDI games instead

Votes: 13 3.5%

• Total voters

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Zelda 2 is my least favorite Zelda game but I'd like to see it get a second chance. I think the combat sucks with Link having a butter knife instead of a sword. But if they give it a good combat system, it could be a great game. Link's moveset from Smash would fit in my opinion and keep the rpg elements. The music is also really good so no change on that.

Maybe make it a metroidvania?

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I just tried it for the first time, the first dungeon is quite fun but after hearing about how BS hard it gets I don't think I'm gonna continue. Could definitely be good with some tweaks though.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being able to have 'duels' with the knights since you had that block/attack low or high dynamic

Yup. Though jumping and getting them just under the visor yields the best result. The axe wielding Daria and the end game bird knights are a real challenge though. Need good timing for those.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's such a weird game, you'd need to do some real work on it to make it feel more cohesive beyond something like Link's Awakening which was a pretty straight recreation.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Where is the poll option for 'I don't want remakes, but would welcome more new Zelda games'

LuckyNumber69

Apr 30, 2021
I wouldn't mind seeing this, I'd love to see the aesthetic and RPG mechanics of Zelda 2 modernized, especially if it were a 3d remake.

Also: Zelda 2 >>>>>>>> Zelda 1

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of my favourite games on the NES. That said, I actually think the 8-bit aesthetics are a big part of what I love about it. I don't really need a remake. I'll happily replay it as is.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
I voted yes because it's the black sheep of the series for a reason... But I don't even know what they'd do in a remake... Like it would just be a new game. There's not much of a plot to follow, the best they could do is have some of the NPCs have the same dialogue, but the broken English would have to be fixed which brings us back to square 1

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Fellow fans of this game, if you never have, I recommend checking out Battle of Olympus for the NES, if it's possible to find these days. Similar gameplay, a little more metroidvania, Greek Mythology, quite good (better in some ways, worse in others).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't want just a straight remake, but a game of this style w/ overworld map with side-scrolling towns/combat would be great! I thought the Adventure Time: Hey Ice King game was a pretty good example that this type of game can work in a modern context.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
YES. I know this isn't the Zelda sequel that anyone wanted back then, but it's a great game in its own right. A remake or sequel (Zelda II-2?) is very much welcomed.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I replayed this on a cart a few years ago and genuinely loved it. Beat it, too, though some puzzles I had to look up (single-tile hidden shit on the world map is not okay lol, as well as certain hidden walls). Combat is really, really fun and I like the required use of sword and shield.

I wouldn't want just a straight remake, but a game of this style w/ overworld map with side-scrolling towns/combat would be great! I thought the Adventure Time: Hey Ice King game was a pretty good example that this type of game can work in a modern context.

Yep, a bit too short sadly but it definitely shows the formula could work still. Enjoyed it myself.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I don't think it sucks, nor do I think its perfectly well designed, but I also don't think it needs a remake. It had its time and place I don't think it is the best use of development resources to revisit it. I don't think LttP and Zelda 1 need a refresh either. The Oracle games are probably the only one imo, since they were handheld locked, not easily playable now, and have weird interactions between each other that can be streamlined. Overall I'd rather they just make new games.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'd love to see a remake that just improves the QoL a bit. I've tried beating the game thrice (on Wii, 3DS, and Switch) and at some point I inevitably fall off and even with guides struggle to get back into it.

Give it some cool shadow box art style, a quests tab, and a customisable map and toss it onto Switch.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
It's a great game! [With a guide]

Honestly one of the better holding up NES games for me, it's just often unclear how to progress, how its new systems work, etc. I think the moment to moment gameplay is compelling enough, and the soundtrack is an all-timer so I'd keep those intact.

I think, really, Zelda 2 would benefit more from a remaster than a remake. Graphical overhaul, a reorchestrated soundtrack option, a new localisation and alterations or new additions to in-game text to make playing with a guide less necessary.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
I though about it for a couple minutes and i have to say, I'd probably pass. unless it was a dramatically improved remake ie an entirely new game. I mean, I guess they could go the route they went with Metroid 2 but even then....it'd have to be more drastic. metroid 2 on gameboy is a game i can go back and enjoy playing. it's got some tight design. Zelda 2 is kind of just....over ambitious. It has good individual elements but i don't think it's better than the sum of it's parts. It's a real slog, for me.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I would love that. Just beat it earlier this month, and it's a great game. Fun combat, world, and mood. A remake along the lines of what Link's Awakening got would be fantastic. It would be so interesting to see this "black sheep" get that kind of love and be reintroduced to a post-BotW Zelda fandom.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even sure what "mood" Zelda II has beyond "empty as hell" and BotW already has that covered

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm not even sure what "mood" Zelda II has beyond "empty as hell" and BotW already has that covered
BoilingWideGrayling-size_restricted.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see all games remade. But there is a cost of resources that go in these things meaning we get less new things from the same IP. I'm always going to want new game over remake.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda 2 in an open world setting would be magnificent.
It's essentially BOTW with the more linear dungeon progression people want.

The Nintendo Power artwork also had my mind racing when I was kid. Imagine these boss fights.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
God, I would love that so much. Zelda 2 is the game that made me love the series (and it's still in my top 5, sorry haters) a remake of it would be very much something I would enjoy.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
We will always get new Zelda agmes so that's not really the point of this thread

Well the poll is asking if we'd like to see a Zelda 2 remake, and I wouldn't want to see any more Zelda remakes. I'd rather we get new 2D or experimental games and BOTW style games

If they carry on with remakes then we probably won't see any or as many non open world Zelda games

So my answer is no, I don't want to see a Zelda 2 remake, I want to see more new Zelda games

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I'd love to see all games remade. But there is a cost of resources that go in these things meaning we get less new things from the same IP. I'm always going to want new game over remake.
Nintendo's main zelda team is working on botw 2. Grezzo worked on Link's Awakening remake. They would be the perfect candidate for that. That's if they are not working on the Oracle remakes

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
It's better than the original game that's for sure. I don't necessarily want a remake. But a new game set near that timeline would be amazing. Just need them to keep the art style from the manuals. If not don't bother.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Remakes more often than not do not go at the cost of new projects; they are often outsourced to other companies, or handled by smaller teams. I'm all for remakes.

Even when this is true, it still means new games are pushed back or come out less frequently

If Nintendo have BOTW2 and a Zelda remake for 2022 then they won't also release a new 2D Zelda in 2022 as that would be dumping too much Zelda into the market at once

So the new Zelda gets pushed to 2023, or, what is more likely, there won't be a new Zelda, just BOTW2 and remakes

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
I think the combat sucks with Link having a butter knife instead of a sword. But if they give it a good combat system, it could be a great game.
What? Zelda II had high / low shield blocking AND attacking, and you eventually learn upward and downward thrust attacks. It's good now, and was amazing at the time.

Also, how long do you expect his sword to reach? It's already the length of his leg.
legend-of-zelda-ii-the-adventure-of-link-classic-nes.jpg

Jul 7, 2021
Even when this is true, it still means new games are pushed back or come out less frequently

If Nintendo have BOTW2 and a Zelda remake for 2022 then they won't also release a new 2D Zelda in 2022 as that would be dumping too much Zelda into the market at once

So the new Zelda gets pushed to 2023, or, what is more likely, there won't be a new Zelda, just BOTW2 and remakes

You don't have to worry about that, Nintendo always prioritizes their new games and big releases. Remakes and new games can exist next to each other without going at the cost of each other. Remakes (and remasters) can also serve as perfect appetizers prior to new games in a franchise.

There are only positives sides to remakes; they are less expensive, are often done by third-parties (ex. MercurySteam, Grezzo, Mages, WayForward, etc.), are a great introduction to newcomers, and are often superior to the original.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
There are only positives sides to remakes; they are less expensive, are often done by third-parties (ex. MercurySteam, Grezzo, Mages, WayForward, etc.), are a great introduction to newcomers, and are often superior to the original.
the negative is that those third parties could be doing something else instead

Oct 27, 2017
Remakes, more often than not, do not go at the cost of new projects; they are often outsourced to other companies, or handled by smaller teams. I'm all for remakes.
^This
Every time you talk about remakes, you have to mention this otherwise the thread gets derailed

I'm not going to really get into how much of a internal versus external team is used for a remake because it varies. You still are using resources that could be used for a new game.