• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ID's next project.

• Another Doom.

Votes: 89 9.6%
  • Re-imagining of Quake

Votes: 517 55.7%
  • A new Rage

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • A entirely new IP.

Votes: 314 33.8%

• Total voters

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Man, am I the only one that actually likes the Strogg? I know Quake 4 was kind of shit, but Quake 2 was pretty fun!

The original Quake is fine and it obviously plays really well but I was never a big fan of its aesthetic.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want them to put more resources into Quake Champions. That game is in a good place rn and could be even better. Its netcode still needs work.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I originally voted for another Doom but then I got to thinking and realized that there will probably be nothing else to accomplish in that universe after Eternal launches and its DLC is released. I would like to see something completely new after Eternal due to the fact that Eternal will probably be the peak of modern FPS design.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
So glad to see the Quake 1 love in this thread.

I don't want a remake per se, but the tone/vibes of the OG Quake is so fucken cool and every Quake after the first was missing it.

We need more grim goth Quake vibes with a fresh coat of paint. Also, fucken NAIL GUN yo!

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Easily bring back Quake 1 with the gothic horror Cthulhu feel. We need a new lovecraftian horror game in medieval castles.

The world needs a modern version of the Shambler.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I want to see id try something outside their comfort zone...they literally make the same type of game- Doom, Rage etc...I want to see an RPG or maybe a zombie game which would look amazing with the id Tech engine

Feb 16, 2018
we got a wolfenstein and quake enemy territory, so we need a doom one

also it's been 20 years and nobody made a game as good as quake 3, so let's get another sequel to that

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quake wouldn't be the same without an on point robust multiplayer and I haven't seen that from Id. Single player experiences have been great though.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Get Splash Damage and reboot Wolfenstein: Enemy territory. Free to play current engine.
Wolfenstein_Enemy_Territory_logo.png
Imagine if Splash Damage and Bethesda would have kept working together after Brink. Letting them work on the MP for the Wolfenstein games would be a no brainer. These days Hell Let Loose kind of scratches that itch for me though - even though HLL is more realistic / less arcade.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to see what current id would do with their own new IP.

I'm sure they could do a rad new version of Quake, but that's a game that never really had an identity to begin with aside from real specific railgun and rocket launcher mechanics.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Loved Quake II growing up but...

A reimagining of the original Quake and a relaunch of the series would be SICK.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
I'm sure they could do a rad new version of Quake, but that's a game that never really had an identity to begin with aside from real specific railgun and rocket launcher mechanics.
I agree with you for Quake 2 - 4 as they all felt very standard "evil alien forces" but 1 had a very specific vibe that was different from all the others. Not many games evoke a time and place for me the way Quake 1 does.

EDIT: Obviously Quake 3 was another thing entirely, but 2 and 4 were aesthetically pretty bland.

ShotZ

Oct 28, 2017
Get Splash Damage and reboot Wolfenstein: Enemy territory. Free to play current engine.
Wolfenstein_Enemy_Territory_logo.png
Man this game on tech 7 with the fluid movement and gunplay? Yes please!!!

I get people asking for Quake and all but we now have seen Doom and Quake games with champions.

What we haven't seen is RTCW ET. Its time.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i certainly wouldn't complain if we got a direct, modern followup to Quake 1 but for better or worse that's just not the "brand" anymore.

i know quake champions is viewed as a raspberry but that's what Quake is. you're in an arena with a bunch of dudes and you gotta move fast and shoot fast.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I wish they get out of their comfort zone...
a carebears licensed sweet game perhaps.
Care_Bears.png

They have the talent to do it i am sure, bring back the fuzzy feelings (rather than fillings) .
edit: i was not the author of the kill the carebears doom mod... nope
not me
not me at all

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
They should go back to the Strogg-themed Quake. Doom and its hell theme, I feel, is good as a gothic substitute as-is so I don't see a need to follow up on Quake 1. Unless they go full-on eldritch horror, which would be the best approach.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Quake wouldn't be the same without an on point robust multiplayer and I haven't seen that from Id. Single player experiences have been great though.
Agreed. They have clearly lost their way when it comes to solid MP modes, especially balanced ones that have a long life.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Find a way to rescue Raven from whatever Call of duty support studio role they are in now and make 'Hexen 3: The Heretic'

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'd love a re-imagined Quake, but based on Q1, so not Strogg related. Maybe something closer to what the original vision was?

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
They should try to make a new franchise, something vastly different from DOOM, Quake and RAGE. I would prefer to see a Quake reimagining from MachineGames after they wrapped up development of Wolfenstein III. That said, their new take on DOOM deserve trilogy on its own. I'm not sure what are id's post-launch plans for Eternal, though, considering Season Pass is called "Year One Pass".

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Man, am I the only one that actually likes the Strogg? I know Quake 4 was kind of shit, but Quake 2 was pretty fun!

The original Quake is fine and it obviously plays really well but I was never a big fan of its aesthetic.
It's not that I don't like Q2, I just have more options for sci fi FPS than eldritch horror FPS. I think that's why people are wanting Q1 again.

Nothing wrong with a bit of variety. They've been doing nothing but shooters for decades now. Would be interesting to see what they come up with.
Well, they're people who play love and understand FPS games. Asking them to make some other genre would be like asking a top RPG developer to make an FPS...

Perhaps an MMO-lite similar to Destiny...

Which would surely never be attempted.

Oct 27, 2017
New IP. Would love to see what they would come up with.

I don't expect them to do something that's not an FPS but it would be interesting to see them step outside of their comfort zone a little and do something like an Immersive Sim or FPS Metroidvania, or something like that.

That being said, if they returned to the style of the original Quake I would kinda love a full on big-budget Eldritch shooter, so I'd be happy if a reboot of that was their next game too. Provided it follows the style of Quake and not Quake 2.

On the one hand I'd want a new IP, but I have little faith in new IP's these days. So I'd like a reboot of Quake please.

Little faith in new IPs? Why, may I ask? Just this gen we've had tons of excellent new IPs such as Horizon Zero Dawn, Ori & The Blind Forest, Astral Chain, Helldivers, Until Dawn, Wreckfest, Death Stranding, The Outer Worlds, Outer Wilds, Hollow Knight, etc.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine i'm going to be wanting more Doom after Eternal. I think I'd love at least one more before they move onto something else. Definitely open to Quake though, if not something new. I do hope if they do Quake, they can bring back that style of deathmatch.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not really an FPS fan. I play crossovers every now and then, especially ones involving exploration, but almost never get into straight FPS games (ESPECIALLY twitch shooters).

I just bought Doom 2016 on a whim a few weeks ago and love it. Runs great, feels amazing and is a really cathartic experience all around. The only other action-heavy FPS I've enjoyed this much was Bulletstorm, thanks to its super satisfying combat and otherworldly art direction. Really looking forward to Doom Eternal but after that, I'd like to see id try something different (preferably a new IP, but a new Rage wouldn't be so bad either).

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like a new single player Quake game. Preferably of the Quake 1 style.
Though with the scope of today's games, I'm sure they could tie them together.
I'd also like all the Quake campaigns to be ported to modern consoles like Doom got.
A remaster of Rage 1 would be great too.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it'd be nice if they tried a different genre. It can still be first person if need be.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Little faith in new IPs? Why, may I ask? Just this gen we've had tons of excellent new IPs such as Horizon Zero Dawn, Ori & The Blind Forest, Astral Chain, Helldivers, Until Dawn, Wreckfest, Death Stranding, The Outer Worlds, Outer Wilds, Hollow Knight, etc.
Well, when I say little faith I mean from the huge companies. The smaller companies have been giving us great new stuff as you already mentioned (though I'm not a fan of Horizon). I'm assuming a new Id game would be a shooter and in this day and age, I have little faith in it being what I want, so I'd rather go with a bit more of a sure thing.