• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Facility - GoldenEye 007

Probably the best second level in video games.

Last edited:

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
Chaos Theory. Cargo ship.
EWJshj_XsAUrylQ.jpg

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Alchemy Lab is where you get a sense for how Symphony of the Night is going to play out. The Castle Entrance is fairly linear, but the Alchemy Lab has all sorts of weird branches, an elevator, several breakable walls, and the game's first proper boss fight, sub-weapon, and equipment. I'm also a big fan of the music.

baberunisei

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread made me realize that I'm not the only person who thinks Chemical Plant Zone is one of the GOAT levels in games

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
metalslug2-3.png

Metal Slug 2/X had a great second level. After the first mission re-introduces players to traditional metal slug action with the Nazi guys, stage two shifts gears entirely into an ancient tomb. Its filled with mummies, mummy dogs, and bats that can actually turn the player into a mummy if they hit you with certain projectiles. It has a lot of Indiana Jones style booby traps, but also lots of hidden treasures. There's not one but TWO lamps with genies that will pop up and give the player a lot of coins if you time your jumps right. Its just a really cool level, unlike anything the series had done to this point, and foreshadows the big alien stuff that starts to take over in the second half(and also points the way forward for all the wackiness to come in MS3).

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I consider Turnabout Sisters from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney to be iconic considering how much it sets up not just within the first game but for the series overall.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I would actually say tons of games' best levels are the second level. I mean. I can think of probably 20 'iconic' second levels before first levels?

This probably doesn't count but to add to the discussion, World 2 of SMB3 is the most iconic World in the game, imo.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly Sonic seems to have a track record of really memorable second levels.

Chemical Plant is the most famous example. But Hydrocity is up there too and Marble Zone is also rather memorable even if it's more on the infamous side of things. Spagonia is the second country you visit in Unleashed and has the fan favorite Rooftop Run, Wild Canyon from SA2 while not more popular than City Escape still manages to be very memorable for its OST alone, Windy Valley from SA1 is up there with Speed Highway as that game's most popular level.

Flying Battery is am awesome zone with some of the best Sonic music. That's S&K zone 2.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
So many people have said chemical plant zone, but I still don't know which Sonic game that's from. I just know it's not Sonic 1

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought of Hydrocity first, but Chemical Plant is a good choice.

I actually find it funny how many people's first thoughts going into this topic happened to be Sonic stages.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Lots of players probably hate it but the second main mission in Nioh is amazing. It's the one with the caves and bat lady boss.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Touhou - Embodiment of Scarlet Devil's stage 2 does more aesthetically than mechanically, but gives a fast paced, manic feeling.

The boss fight established the Ice Fairy, Cirno, as one of the most iconic characters in this decades long indie franchise.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
The first time I ever played Sonic 2 was a demo in a store and it was on Chemical Plant Zone. Instantly fell in love with the game. Once I got a Genesis with it included, I never got tired of playing this level over and over for its multifaceted design, as well as one of the best tunes in gaming history. Definitely the epitome of this topic.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Honestly Sonic seems to have a track record of really memorable second levels.

Chemical Plant is the most famous example. But Hydrocity is up there too and Marble Zone is also rather memorable even if it's more on the infamous side of things. Spagonia is the second country you visit in Unleashed and has the fan favorite Rooftop Run, Wild Canyon from SA2 while not more popular than City Escape still manages to be very memorable for its OST alone, Windy Valley from SA1 is up there with Speed Highway as that game's most popular level.

Don't forget Flying Battery, it's also one of the most memorable levels in Sonic's history (specially for the music)

Static Veins

Oct 25, 2017
UK
"Jungle Rollers" from the original Crash Bandicoot. It was the level featured in all demos for the game and was seared into my brain before I ever touched the full game.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
I'll also be stretching the definition, to include a candidate I haven't seen mentioned yet. spoilers for an mmo from 2006, if anyone cares.

in the mmo guild wars (1), in the original propechies campaign, you begin the game through an extended tutorial section in an idyllic fantasy kingdom setting. everything is beautiful, autumnal, and generally gorgeous. as you progress the story and finish the tutorial chain, you experience a short apocalyptic time-skip in which that entire world you experienced is utterly destroyed, but you keep playing in the exact same area, in its barren post-downfall ruins. everything you knew is ash, and it's a very sobering and bold choice for a "second level", especially in an mmo. it led to a culture of people creating characters to eternally live in the tutorial zone.

pre2.png

v5e38duz7bl41.jpg

lush is pre-searing, apocalyptic is post-searing. I thought it a fantastic choice in 2006 to destroy the fantasy ideal right as the players were growing comfortable

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
For the Dark Souls comments technically the second level if Asylum is level is this
safe-room.jpg

firelink is technically a level as it also leads to the next levels has its own fights also