• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Man I used to jam out to these guys all time time in my late teens, early 20s. Don't know how I missed that Schaffer has always been a massive shithead, but I should have seen the warning signs in their lyrics. Apparently Stu Block was supportive of the insurrection too before he realized this shit was serious and put out an official statement on behalf of the band. I was excited when he joined the band because I've been listening to him since his Into Eternity days. Well, fuck that guy too.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much only know them from Brütal Legend, where they play When the Night Falls on the LP main menu from time to time. Absolutely love that intro, but there's nothing more then that that's tainted for me whith who has shown himself to be.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Not surprised

addca5c0552e28072dfe4570dc686f90.640x640x1.jpg

That was their last album I listened to before I noped out. I remember enjoying Dark Saga and Horror Show quite a bit as a teen.

Oh well, let's hope Jon gets what he deserves once the FBI catches him.

Oct 25, 2017
20210114-074453.jpg

Our boy made the front page of CNN this morning!

You think the fact he still hasn't been apprehended means he's going full MAGA Rambo and is on the run in the woods with all his guns or something?

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
No update about Jon, but found this article and looks like the band was rotten way before - which is extra disappointing.
www.cltampa.com

Jon Schaffer from Tampa metal band Iced Earth among those photographed storming US Capitol | Creative Loafing Tampa Bay

No one should be surprised that Schaffer participated in the insurrection.

Najjar told CL that he tried to be as innocuous as possible during the mixdown sessions.

"That's what assistants do, you set stuff up and you get out of the way," he explained. But Najjar alleges that during the mixdown sessions, Schaffer started using the N-word incessantly in the studio.

"I perked up, and I'm thinking at first. 'How does he know that I don't have a Black wife?' Like, 'What's going on here? Is this some kind of inside joke?'," Najjar said. "Why does this guy feel comfortable saying all this stuff around an assistant engineer who he doesn't know from Adam? He hasn't known me for over an hour."

Eventually, Najjar started asking Schaffer questions about the band.

Najjar alleges that Schaffer told him a story about a time in the early-to-mid-'90s when when another former Iced Earth vocalist John Greely took band members to a KKK cross burning.

"Like literally hoods and a big cross. And [Schaffer] said there were FBI agents lined up around the perimeter taking pictures of the attendees, taking pictures of the license plates of the vehicles people were in," Najjar said. "Jon said it kind of freaked him out, but at the same time, why wouldn't he just turn around and leave?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
No update about Jon, but found this article and looks like the band was rotten way before - which is extra disappointing.
www.cltampa.com

Jon Schaffer from Tampa metal band Iced Earth among those photographed storming US Capitol | Creative Loafing Tampa Bay

Wow @ the n-word stuff. What a piece of shit, but not surprising really.
Curiously, Schaffer did eventually fire John Greely for being too racist (the story goes that he was very anti-Semitic, Schaffer even took him to a Holocaust museum to try and change his mind and Greely just kept making disparaging comments about Jews and so Schaffer fired him from Iced Earth), but it just seems like it's a matter of degree. As in, Schaffer is slightly less racist than Greely, but that's such a low bar to clear. Can't wait 'til he's finally arrested.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how the hell haven't they nabbed him yet? Is he hiding in Century Media's basement or something?

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, I've been checking this thread daily to see if there's any news of his whereabouts.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Pure buttrock. I'd imagine touring Europe is how he makes a good chunk of his income. Have fun being on a watchlist for life pal

Schaffer arrested

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Arrested!

www.blabbermouth.net

Update: New Photos Released Of ICED EARTH's JON SCHAFFER Carrying 'Bear Spray' During Capitol Riot

**UPDATE**: According to the FBI, ICED EARTH's Jon Schaffer was among the rioters who sprayed United States Capitol police officers with "bear spray," a form of capsaicin pepper spray sold by many outdoors retailers, as part of their efforts to push the officers back...
Finally! Hopefully that's it for the band too.

Oct 25, 2017
The FBI Indianapolis Field Office released the following statement regarding Schaffer's arrest: "Jon Schaffer, Columbus, IN, has been arrested in connection to Jan 6 incident at the U.S. Capitol. Schaffer faces 6 charges including engaging in an act of physical violence in a Capitol building. Schaffer was allegedly among rioters who sprayed Capitol police with 'bear spray.'"

These are the six charges Schaffer is facing, according to the FBI Indianapolis Field Office:

1) Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority

2) Disrupting the Orderly Conduct of Government Business

3) Knowingly Engaging in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds

4) Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building

5) Engaging in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building

6) Parading, Demonstrating, or Picketing in a Capitol Building

This dude is so screwed. How freaking stupid do you have to be to mace security at a top government building?

Now we just gotta wait for that sweet, sweet mugshot!

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow @ the n-word stuff. What a piece of shit, but not surprising really.
Curiously, Schaffer did eventually fire John Greely for being too racist (the story goes that he was very anti-Semitic, Schaffer even took him to a Holocaust museum to try and change his mind and Greely just kept making disparaging comments about Jews and so Schaffer fired him from Iced Earth), but it just seems like it's a matter of degree. As in, Schaffer is slightly less racist than Greely, but that's such a low bar to clear. Can't wait 'til he's finally arrested.
Christ. I can't believe I bought some of their albums as a kid :(

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Life brings you to this point when you are backing the worst president in history? Yikes!

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
From Blabbermouth:

jonschafferbearspray_638.jpg

**UPDATE**: According to the FBI, ICED EARTH's Jon Schaffer was among the rioters who sprayed United States Capitol police officers with "bear spray," a form of capsaicin pepper spray sold by many outdoors retailers, as part of their efforts to push the officers back inside the Capitol and breach the Capitol building themselves.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
What a great thread update, get fucked traitors.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Jon Schaeffer really making the Eagle cry (by spraying it with mace not even meant for humans)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
To put a positive spin on this: now Jake Dreyer can put more focus on his other, superior band. Too bad Jon helped with the production of their upcoming album though. The mix sounds like shit compared to their previous two releases.

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Yes Night of the Stormrider and Spawn concept album were dead giveaways that the leader of the band was racist.
How were you or anyone else supposed to know?

Yeah, I don't think there's much reason to suggest that Schaffer was a nut job in the early days, until The Glorious Burden and whatever that sons of liberty album was they seemed an ordinary band.

Its a shame really as the last Iced Earth album was actually good and it seemed the band had a solid line up.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Imagine spending over 30 years of your life on Iced Earth, becoming one of Americas most successful metal bands, then throwing it all away in one day for Donald Trump.

Oct 25, 2017
To put a positive spin on this: now Jake Dreyer can put more focus on his other, superior band. Too bad Jon helped with the production of their upcoming album though. The mix sounds like shit compared to their previous two releases.

Yep. Still quite excited for the new Witherfall album. Still nuts that they got Marco Minnemann on drums for Curse of Autumn.

Mar 8, 2020
Washington State
Watching these assholes get arrested one by one is literally my feel good moment of the day. 4 years of watching vile people get away with horrible behavior was taking its toll on me. Finally, it's time to pay the Piper.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes Night of the Stormrider and Spawn concept album were dead giveaways that the leader of the band was racist.
How were you or anyone else supposed to know?
I'll be completely honest and say that I have an incredibly hard time hearing and internalizing lyrics. So I have no idea if those albums are super racist or you're being sarcastic lol.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
These two sentences are the irony version of the lying guard riddle.
not sure what this means.
I'll be completely honest and say that I have an incredibly hard time hearing and internalizing lyrics. So I have no idea if those albums are super racist or you're being sarcastic lol.
definitely sarcastic. My point being its not like Twitter or any social media existed back then.
But in general we spent decades watching Kevin spacey movies, movies produced by weinstein and all there was were rumors and innuendo that maybe insiders knew, for these two giant men, it wasn't until the damn broke that we knew. Schaffer's a nobody compared to them. Not to mention most white people arent gonna make a big deal about someone dropping a n word, especially 25 years ago.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The riddle is about two guards. One is dishonest, the other tells it straight.

Your post can be read two ways: First sentence is ironic, second isn't OR first sentence isn't ironic, second is. Either way works but whichever is correct is up to the reader to puzzle out.
I'm utterly confused, sorry. You're saying that Spawn concept albums should have been an indication that the guy was racist all along?

Edit: or maybe I'm misunderstanding, but for me, captive's first line is sarcastic, and the "How were you supposed to know?" isn't, and this seems clear enough...

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Also since the majority of their money is made in europe and it may be hard to get a passport after being convicted of a felony also not sure who is even going to book the bank after this, but they are probably fucked

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I'm utterly confused, sorry. You're saying that Spawn concept albums should have been an indication that the guy was racist all along?

Edit: or maybe I'm misunderstanding, but for me, captive's first line is sarcastic, and the "How were you supposed to know?" isn't, and this seems clear enough...

"How were you supposed to know?" works in an ironic tone and is often used that way (though mostly with ??? to make the intention clearer). And if someone doesn't know what Spawn* is, Night of the Stormrider isn't far-fetched as the title of a problematic work. Plus Schaffer's turn to right-wing conspiracy nut didn't come completely out of nowhere, so there's ambiguity around a statement on what was knowable for how far back.

Basically both sentences are phrased in a way that can indicate irony, but both can't be ironic at the same time. That's all I mean to observe.

*Come to think of it, Spawn is a black character, giving young Jon Schaffer plenty room to potentially fuck up on the lyrics with early hints of a bit of a racist inclination.

Last edited:

TheLastCandle

Oct 25, 2017
Harrisburg, PA, USA
Just chiming in to give Jon a nice hearty "Fuck you". Enjoy prison, you nut.

Funnily enough, I was just at a second hand store that sells CDs and someone clearly had traded in their entire IE discography as it was front and center on the new arrivals shelf. Well, their whole discography minus the good stuff. No NoTS or Burnt Offerings for you.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
www.cltampa.com

My understanding was that Greely was fired from the group for being racist. Granted these are VERY OLD memories.

Edit:Guess I was right.

Anyhow, wonder if he will ride and die with these crazy ass horrible beliefs.