• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
It's midday and Edward Kean, a Canadian fisherman who now scours the North Atlantic for icebergs that have broken off from Greenland's glaciers, is positively beaming.

For more than 20 years, he has hauled in the mighty ice giants and then sold the water for a handsome profit to local companies, which then bottle it, mix it into booze or use it to make cosmetics.

Business has soared in tandem with the warming of the planet, especially quick in the Arctic, meaning that more and more icebergs find their way south.

"In Newfoundland, it's like a fallen leaf. They're going to die in a couple of weeks and be gone back to nature anyway," he said.

"So we're not here hurting the environment, we're not taking nothing away -- we're just utilizing the purest water we can get."

In the high season, from May to July, the crew can gather 800,000 liters of water, which they then sell to local merchants for a dollar a liter.

Those businesses in turn market the iceberg products as made from some of the purest water money can buy.

Dyna Pro, one of Kean's clients, sells the water in glass bottles for Can$16 (US $12) each. They are targeting a wealthy clientele and have hopes to expand their business abroad.

"We're probably a lot bigger today than we ever were with iceberg water shipping overseas -- Europe, Singapore, Dubai," said the company's manager, Kerry Chaulk.
"We just picked up clients from the Middle East with our glass bottles."

The popular Auk Island Winery, in the tourist village of Twillingate, makes wine from wild berries and iceberg water -- and sells it for Can $10-90 a bottle.

"We use iceberg water because it is the clearest, cleanest water that we have available on the planet, really, says employee Elizabeth Gleason.

"It will give you a very clean, very pure taste of whatever it is paired with."
Full article: https://www.afp.com/en/news/826/canadian-iceberg-hunter-trail-white-gold-doc-1j168d1

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
$12.00 a bottle doesn't seem like that much of a mark-up considering the trouble you go through to get it.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's twice the cost for a bottle of water at a club. Not too crazy but I could only imagine the profits.

Oct 25, 2017
$12.00 a bottle doesn't seem like that much of a mark-up considering the trouble you go through to get it.

558624.jpg

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah not that much. They have water bars that are charging more for exotic waters infused with stuff now.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't iceberg water likely have way more shit in it versus just regular distilled water? Prehistoric anthrax or a shitload of mercury or frozen super soldiers?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
*smh*

The same nonsense as "million years old salt" (with an expiration date of 2 years)

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
Forget my beer thread

This stupid "pure" water is the biggest case of the emperors new clothes

Evian sucks though I will say

Smitington

Oct 27, 2017
Denver
We could create water with any level of purity or mineral content in a manufacturing facility. "Purity of the water" is a stupid concept

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Omg can we just stop?? We're chopping down the forest on one end and harvesting icebergs on the other. Just light everything on fire and be done with it. I cant take this death by a thousand cuts shit. Just buy a fucking water filter you idiots.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why not go straight to the source and get it directly from the Greenland glaciers tho?

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I doubt that ice cloven from a glacier and floating in the sea is more pure than distilled water.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb people be like: ''Sea level can't rise from the icebergs melting if we sell all that water.''

09-roll-safe.w700.h700.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Is it so fucking hard to come up with a shitty scheme to get rich off of dumb people that also helps the environment?

I mean you'd think we'd be all over those!

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
People will pay that kind of money for iceberg water, so I can hardly blame the people who bottle it. It's insane, nonetheless.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This sounds about right....sell elite water to the rich elite aka republicans. Yes they are THAT stupid.

Oct 26, 2017
I got one! How about multi-use drinking straws you carry with you that wrap around your wrist to form fashionable arm bands?

Just gotta figure out how to clean them between uses.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
FFS, can we be any more destructive?
Omg can we just stop?? We're chopping down the forest on one end and harvesting icebergs on the other. Just light everything on fire and be done with it. I cant take this death by a thousand cuts shit. Just buy a fucking water filter you idiots.
Calm down there, champs. Your hearts are in the right place, but among all the horrible things we're doing to the planet, this ain't one of them. Icebergs have already broken off from the glaciers/shelves they came from, and are doomed to melt and become seawater, maybe along the way becoming the plot catalyst for an overrated James Cameron movie. The unnecessary fuel consumption and plastics involved are comparable to land-based bottled water operations, but this is much smaller in scale. Harvesting 'bergs is rather benign. It's the glaciers that are in trouble.

It's just dumb. Distill some water and most of the idiots forking over $12 couldn't tell the difference.
Why not go straight to the source and get it directly from the Greenland glaciers tho?
Let's not give the psychopaths any ideas, now.
Wouldn't iceberg water likely have way more shit in it versus just regular distilled water? Prehistoric anthrax or a shitload of mercury or frozen super soldiers?
More, but not by much. Freezing water is a bona fide way of purifying it. It's just dumb, because yeah, if you want pure water there are much cheaper ways to go about it.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, once the ice is floating the damage is already done and Newfoundlands economy needs the help. Better these rich fucks spend their money on this than another dinosaur bone encrusted ipad.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
How does one know you're really getting iceberg water in the bottle though?