• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

mods please fix the title: Ibrahimović thinks MLS sucks. iOS 13 beta is giving issues with resetera typing

MLS is not the level of Europe, to be honest. Before, I played with players either on my level or close to it. Which makes the game connect easier. ...
Here, I am like a Ferrari among Fiats. And it can happen that the Ferrari can become the Fiat, or the Fiat can become the Ferrari.
I had the same issue with the national [Swedish] team, though not as much. I said, 'I don't accept it. I don't accept when the ball doesn't arrive, or arrives too late. I want them to come up to my level.'
All of this makes me slow down a bit. The game here [in America] could be so much faster, so much more tactical, so much more rhythmic.
When I asked Zlatan what it will take for MLS to achieve parity with Europe and South America, he responds with a question.
"Do they want to make it?"
"Who is 'they'?"
"They that control it. The owners. Do they want it to be big?"
"Yeah. Of course."
"You think?"
"You don't?"
"I don't."
"Why?"
"Because you don't make money in soccer," he tells me. "In Europe, I can pick two clubs that make money. The rest don't; they do it out of passion. Here, with the sports, you make money. That's it. And I think with all the rules you have here, you are not boosting up the soccer."
What rules?
"The budget things. The salary cap. You cannot bring in players you want. They have more rules here than I have in my home."

Johnny Cage

Nov 26, 2017
He makes a decent point. You'll never get the best players with a salary cap. And if you're that good what player will pick New York over Barca for even the same salary.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I like him but Lol that owners comment is incredibly stupid and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of soccer in the US (and sports in general here). The growth of the MLS has actually been pretty incredible and that would not have happened without a lot of the rules in place.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Is what he saying controversial?or is it just how he's saying it?

I don't think many people would disagree with the sentiment.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
He is right, The top players play in Europe*. China, MLS, etc are for players looking to retire.

*More specifically the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A.

Last edited:

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
He's an idiot and a dick. But a fantastic player.

MLS nearly went bankrupt in the early 2000s. The salary cap in the MLS needs to raise (and will once the new TV deal is in place) but is largely there to prevent teams from bankrupting themselves trying to put 'great' teams together in hopes of drawing fans. when the reality is the league needs to continue to grow in popularity before it can support those sorts of salaries.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day MLS needs Ibra far more than he needs the MLS and that's been the case for many players going over to retire.

ps3ud0 8)

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
He is right, The top players play in Europe*. China, MLS, etc are for players looking to retire.

*More specifically the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A.

This is less true than it was. MLS is more becoming a stepping stone for young players (especially South American) on their way to Europe with an odd old-man 'name' or two around to sell tickets.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
us should tell its favorite 20 billionaires: "buy a soccer team and pump as much money into it as possible. All of you are tax-free forever. Winner of the next season gets hawaii"

parity achieved

Jul 18, 2018
Only if we had oil $ owners involved with MLS will it ever be in same level as Europe. Basically they helped create the Goliath European football is.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is he right that only a few european clubs make any money? That can't be correct.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
He slips into hyperbole because hes answering off the cuff, its not like hes researching for an article but hes not wrong. American soccer suffers from a lack of talent because the way they raise promising players is EXTREMELY unaffordable to lower income families so you have this amazing batch of talent that quits halfway through while mediocre talent (in the pro soccer curve) makes it to the MLS

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
The point about "passion" never occurred to me but he kinda has a point. Though idk if it is passion so much as tradition that keeps the game healthy in Europe and S.A. They just have a richer history and people grow up following their local side as well as a top team so makes it easier to get new blood in. In America, soccer is seen as a woman's sport so more young boys probably prefer to follow another field instead. On top of that there is also the money issue.

Is he right that only a few european clubs make any money? That can't be correct.
Make money as in comparable to what the MLS would feel it needs to make in order to function maybe. If we just look at the top leagues in Europe, they all have a healthy enough depth in their leagues and lower divisions so they get by but maybe it might not be enough for the MLS clubs.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Only if we had oil $ owners involved with MLS will it ever be in same level as Europe. Basically they helped create the Goliath European football is.
Not really true as if you go back 20 years the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A were still the biggest and most popular leagues in the world. That has been cemented by massive TV deals in that time. Rich owners help some of the clubs in those leagues stay on top though.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
He's an idiot and a dick. But a fantastic player.

MLS nearly went bankrupt in the early 2000s. The salary cap in the MLS needs to raise (and will once the new TV deal is in place) but is largely there to prevent teams from bankrupting themselves trying to put 'great' teams together in hopes of drawing fans. when the reality is the league needs to continue to grow in popularity before it can support those sorts of salaries.

This is a Billy Haisley article. He relishes in stuff like this.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
He's correct in terms of the skill levels and the passion but it's the latter that raises the former. MLS owners could certainly pay more to try to attract better talent but that won't solve the issue of the skill level league wide. The sport just isn't as popular in the US and Canada so top athletes native to these countries tend to trend to other sports. Mexico appears, from the outside looking in, to be the exception in North America but any top talent hailing from there would be far more likely to go to Europe for the quality of play, rather than sticking around in the "minors" that is the MLS in comparison.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I love Ibra. Dude has an ego the size of Sweden, but he does back it up on the field. I mean, after making those comments, he goes out and does this.

And he's right, of course, about the level of play in MLS. It ain't shit compared to the top leagues. But it's fine for what it is, a developmental league for US and Central American players.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
Like many others already pointed out, he is not wrong. MLS is really boring. I started following it because he moved there otherwise I would've never thought about watching MLS lol

I might be biased because like Ibra I'm Swede as well.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
salary caps are probably fine in sports where the only relevant leagues are in north america, but when you're talking about a sport whose most prestigious leagues are in places that go bonkers with spending, you can't really compete.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Is that such an outlandish claim? Sorry i dont have any citation for you outside of anecdotes but I feel like this isnt such a stretch when you see the landscape of the game in US. There are also a couple of old Guardian articles about issues of diversity and inequality that the US soccer suffers from. That can't help matters either I reckon.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
If they had no cap, then you'd only have a few teams that could afford to buy players... it'd be the death of the league long term.

He's right about the talent level.. but let's be honest... MLS won't ever compete with the Euro juggernauts.. we just don't have the fan base and I don't see that changing any time soon.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
IT definitely was growing up in the 90's. I say that as someone who played soccer until I was 14. Playing soccer was worth literally 0 social capital.

played in the 90s til I was 18 in the 2000s

soccer players in middle/high school were just as popular as any other athletes

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I love that the salary cap is in place for leagues like NFL which gives it somewhat of a league with parity. But yeah to have it in MLS and try to compete with other leagues is dead in the water lo.