• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
if the game in question wasn't last of us 2 and was cyberpunk or red dead, there probably wouldn't be as many people defending naughty dog and druckman over crunch

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to come down to a semantic argument about what direction entails as well as what Neil's role was within the bureaucratic structure of ND. I'm not sure that anyone on either side of the overarching argument, including the people who voted on the recipient for that award had a full grasp of both of these variables. Crunch is unambiguously an exploitative and debilitating practice. I'm not sure whether that was up to Neil or whether that is part of the "direction" of a game. TGA's definition of it uses the term to define itself. It's such a vague category.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I have to agree with this. Games like Spider-Man or Ori where working hours are flexible and no crunch is not embedded in the culture are much more deserving of awards.

Games like TLOU are more than deserving of their GOTY awards, but crunch is mostly a failure of production leads.

How do we know how much crunching was going on at Insomniac this year as they worked from home to put out a PS4 and a PS5 version of Spiderman MM with a hard cutoff date?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm perfectly fine not giving out any industry awards to any company that is exercising shitty practices like multiple 100 hour work weeks. Fuck your dumbass "award" and your "creative vision".

Thing is, crunch is supposedly widespread and commonplace within the gaming industry, hell, you could argue it is within many industries.

The issue is we don't actually have a detailed insight into mass studio practices, and the only reason we even know about ND, Rockstar, CDPR etc, and not a hundred other studios, is because one investigative journalist decided to....you know, investigate them.

So you're essentially dictating a celebration of game design excellence not based on the quality of the games themselves, or even which studios and games had or did not have crunch, rather which have simply been reported on or investigated for it, which unfortunately happens in very limited capacity.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I have to agree with this. Games like Spider-Man or Ori where working hours are flexible and no crunch is not embedded in the culture are much more deserving of awards.

Games like TLOU are more than deserving of their GOTY awards, but crunch is mostly a failure of production leads.
if they still get GOTY awards, that doesn't change anything you are still celebrating a product made under crunch, you are still celebrating poor working conditions and abuse of employees, because the end product is good it leaves open for other studios to crunch because crunch games are games of the year

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure that won't be the case.

Maybe it's different with DICE QA testing, but whilst DICE doesn't officially crunch and appears to be far better than most about it, there are a few employee reviews on Glassdoor that specifically bring up or complain about crunch nonetheless.

"There is a lot of shadow crunching going on. Typically, you are not "forced" to work but no one else is going to do your work for you so if you are not on deadline that will reflect bad on you, even if the deadline is completely unrealistic. Most of the time the tools are broken and they are a hassle to debug. A lot of times something breaks and it can take several hours to get fixed. "

"Over reliance on a few people - while most people don't need to crunch it invariably falls on a few to burn the midnight oil and pull things together and those are the ones who suffer the most"

"Crunch and crunch. Studio claimed to have stopped crunching when I joined, but the crunch was inevitable from the start. No paid overtime of course."

"Crunch is fairly low. Some intense periods during a project happen, almost guaranteed but not that much usually."

DICE (Sweden) Reviews: What Is It Like to Work At DICE (Sweden)?

55 DICE (Sweden) reviews. A free inside look at company reviews and salaries posted anonymously by employees.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If they get nominated for Best Direction after that mess of delays, crunch and technical issues, it'll beggar belief.
image.png

Will it, though?

We'll probably get a "Games For Social Justice" category, voted on by the fans, to placate us while they absolutely shower Cyberpunk with praise, nominations, and awards.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What i always find crazy is all these heavy crunchers turn out to be the games that get delayed too. Like i wonder how long a game would take without it?

I agree crunch is shit but i disagree to pin it on all person. I'm not in the gaming industry but i can't even imagine how big of a workload a AAA game is. Most of them taking 3-4 years which is nuts when thinking about it. I also don't agree giving this award encourages crunching behavior.

But it wouldn't upset me if they lost due to that reason. Just hopefully game development can get to a point where we can get all these big games without the extra work. Kinda doubt it though.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Idk if it were only game "vision" the description wouldn't differentiate between that and game "direction." Imo the how's and why's of development come to mind when I read that category. Maybe it secretly means a totally different thing from the description but in that case you can't blame people for not being mind readers

But at the end of the day it's somewhat splitting hairs because if you wanted to exclude any game made with this level of crunch from any award it would be warranted

Last edited:

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
image.png

Will it, though?

We'll probably get a "Games For Social Justice" category, voted on by the fans, to placate us while they absolutely shower Cyberpunk with praise, nominations, and awards.
Even then CP2077 would probably win it because they put a trans flag on the back of a car and called it a day. The game awards doesn't critically think about what qualifies a winner or not, do they? Is there a transparent rating system they use to determine what deserves an award or not? Because my impression is that all of it doesn't really matter. And it's whatever they think gamers will like the most.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Best direction is for "outstanding creative vision and innovation in game direction and design".

This has literally nothing to do with whether or not a studio crunches.
This was my thoughts as well. Also it would be way too tricky to prove crunch for these types of things without resorting to having studios follow some sort of standardized way of reporting their OT and crunch(something that will likely never happen)

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He never won an Oscar for best director.

To everyone mentioning Hades, let's not pretend TLoU and Hades are on the same level regarding scope/ambition/graphics.
What? That's incredibly unfair to pit a AAA studio backed by a console maker over an Indie and claim one had more ambition.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
They should separate this award for future shows, Best Direction and Best Voice Direction, it can bring a spotlight to the Voice Directors that can make or break performances (see:DCAU)

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I think Supergiant is absolutely the anomaly, and should be an industry standard. The problem is that any of these games that have been lauded as GOTY, with massive development time and thousands of employees attached, I assumed invoked a level of unhealthy crunch and unhealthy work standards- those garnering more attention also get more publicized documentation of poor work standards. If you're going to criticize development for certain games, you've got to hold the entire industry accountable. I most certainly believe every single one of these huge creative projects over the past twenty years involved a lot of physical and psychological harm for many individuals involved.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Thing is, crunch is supposedly widespread and commonplace within the gaming industry, hell, you could argue it is within many industries.

The issue is we don't actually have a detailed insight into mass studio practices, and the only reason we even know about ND, Rockstar, CDPR etc, and not a hundred other studios, is because one investigative journalist decided to....you know, investigate them.

So you're essentially dictating a celebration of game design excellence not based on the quality of the games themselves, or even which studios and games had or did not have crunch, rather which have simply been reported on or investigated for it, which unfortunately happens in very limited capacity.

Not celebrating shit made under awful conditions is not a loss. It's a good thing. Not even sure what you're gate keeping here.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Awards *are* symbolic gestures, not objective markers of supposed quality. We should think long and hard about what they are actually rewarding before casting our respective ballots (or, as consumers, dropping our dollars, pledging our loyalty, etc.).

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Uh... more than awards, it's sales. I highly doubt the awards is what drives the need for the games that are forcing crunch. It's the sales. People buying games made with crunch is a the biggest reinforcement for crunch.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'll admit, that was the one award/nomination for Naughty Dog in particular that stood out as really head scratching. Awarding the game GOTY for the work of the whole team. Fine. But Direction after the documented bad management behind the scenes is just tonedeaf.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
Uh... more than awards, it's sales. I highly doubt the awards is what drives the need for the games that are forcing crunch. It's the sales. People buying games made with crunch is a the biggest reinforcement for crunch.
It's about the message. It's like you saying keep crunching nothing matters anyway, at the end of the day game is still going to sell millions.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Very true. Sadly these big games get a pass for this and other issues that should be immediately disqualifying when it comes to awards and acclaim.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Can't disagree at all. And with Supergiant being an example of the opposite, what with mandatory PTO and still putting out brand new IP every three years they really missed an opportunity not giving it to Hades.

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
Got some bad news. As someone in the gaming industry, I guarantee you that OT was required for almost every single game you played.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's about the message. It's like you saying keep crunching nothing matters anyway, at the end of the day game is still going to sell millions.
I don't think relying on game awards of any kind to "send a message" is the way to do it. Unless the bottom lines start getting affected, I don't see anything changing. That said, if Geoff got on stage and said it goes to Hades instead of TLoU2 because of crunch, I would expect retaliation from Sony. Probably necessary though as crunch is something I hate.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Got some bad news. As someone in the gaming industry, I guarantee you that OT was required for almost every single game you played.

exactly what I came to say....even small indie games require tons of hours more than a 9-5 job. Safe to say that there may not be aGame Awards without crunch either...the people who work on this stuff work a lot.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We aren't talking about simple OT here. The kind of crunch currently being condemned in the industry goes from months to years. Kind of makes awarding those exceptions all the more important, no? Including Supergiant, who was also nominated.

Oct 27, 2017
Even that beloved article from the Hades dev even struggled to define crunch lol. I'm over here wondering if people here celebrate the indie dev who makes all kinds of sacrifices for their art, justifying their own self-made crunch.

It happens and the industry needs to change and maybe Sony and ND have already been working on this! We don't know yet. But ND could also use this platform to make a very visible change. As someone in the manufacturing industry who can have hints of wanting to work hard to prove myself and show off my skills AND sometimes feel overworked and need a break, I can see both sides. The difference is how forced is it and how it is punished if you don't succumb. Being fired or quitting because your work was replaced by someone who stayed over certainly boosts your signal and attracts articles and tweets though. That shouldn't happen (the work part, not the whistleblowing).

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Not sure I agree here.

These devs made an incredible experience - from top to bottom - and shouldn't be disqualified because their management sucks.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Not sure I agree here.

These devs made an incredible experience - from top to bottom - and shouldn't be disqualified because their management sucks.
Actually I think games made under poor management conditions shouldn't be eligible for any awards. It might suck for employees but we shouldn't be recognizing organizations that are running their employees into the ground in any way. It just promotes the absurd working conditions the product was made under in the first place.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Can you really compare a game like Hades, developed by a small indie studio with their own money, to such a behemoth of a game, costing hundreds of millions of dollars and co-developed by multiple studios, when it comes to their development process/how they crunch?