• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Wasn't Sakurai working with an IV instead of taking time off just to make sure Smash came out

Sakurai's a freelancer, not a Nintendo employee. There's literally nothing Nintendo themselves can really do to stop Sakurai from over-working himself.

That and Sakurai's a single project lead; he's not the entirety of the Smash Ultimate development team.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being obtuse? What? The point is maybe we should award that behavior. Especially when there's another nominee in the category that doesn't practice it. What the fuck are you talking about

I'm talking about the fact that your entire flimsy argument lies on the fact that Hades didn't involve crunch, and Last of Us 2 did. Might as well find out the salaries and benefits for the employees of both companies and have that weigh into the award too.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Sakurai working with an IV instead of taking time off just to make sure Smash came out
Sakurai isn't a Nintendo employee, he's a freelancer. You could admittedly argue Nintendo should reign him in, and it's possible they ended up doing that given Ultimate's dev cycle was supposedly far smoother.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to see this article because the tiny amount of discussion this has had is frustrating. People need to stop praising the director for putting out "such a polished product", as if that severe amount of detail was even necessary

If you can't fulfil your creative vision properly without copious amounts of worker abuse, you compromise it.

Whatever, I'm arguing semantics. The people saying "well technically that has nothing to do with direction" just don't want to talk about the crunch, or the ethics behind heaping so much praise on the game's director without addressing it.

Ding ding. People want to judge these games in a bubble divorced from how they are made. Oh well it's best direction and innovation! how the fuck do you think they achieved that?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai's a freelancer, not a Nintendo employee. There's literally nothing Nintendo themselves can really do to stop Sakurai from over-working himself.

That and Sakurai's a single project lead; he's not the entirety of the Smash Ultimate development team.

How many places have you worked where if the lead is working their ass off, they let the people under them do less work than them?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sakurai even said at the time that there's no pressure from Nintendo for him to work the hours he does.

His schedule in general is ludicrous.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Are you for real? Bringing up Polanski and Nate Parker as a point of comparison?

Wow.

TLOU2 haters are wild.
I'm not a "TLOU 2 hater". I think it's a good - at points great - game. I have no problem with the Big Controversial Plot beat nor its politics. I do, however, also think it has some serious flaws

I brought up these two extreme examples because they were recent and concrete, not just hypothetical. Maybe they were too extreme and I apologize for that, but the point still stands. Context always has mattered in all awards

And even then, Ubisoft did have multiple nominations last night even with all the accusations of sexual harassment.

Oct 27, 2017
Hard disagree, the award should be about creative vision, not management or working conditions. Which games had overtime and for how long isn't even normally public, so how would you enforce this.

I disagree more with the category having games that were designed by committee rather than nominating auteur directors and giving them the award rather than the games thenselves. That's what "game of the year" should be for.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
But we do know the conditions of the production of this game. And many games, thanks to devs and journalists working together to bring it more to light.

We hear very small snippets about what happens over the course of a long production involving hundreds of people. We should be careful to remember just how incomplete that information is. We hear rare snippets about bad working practices and it is even rarer for good working practices to be publicised. We are essentially blind when it comes to determining this - the only people who really know what happens in a game studio are the people that work there.

This becomes semantics so I can tell we'll never agree. Unethical working conditions should not be rewarded, I know we both can agree on that at least.

It's not semantics. Arguing Naughty Dog shouldn't get the Best Game Direction award is arbitrary. If you want to argue that studios shouldn't receive awards if there are credible allegations of unethical workplace practice, I'd be more persuaded.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
If you really want to discuss technicalities like that, one could argue that a "creative vision" that drives people to crunch and such unhealthy work conditions is not one worthy of an award.

But this doesn't even matter. It's not about this. Take the Cesar's earlier this year in which Roman Polanski won best director and caused outraged because of it. Would you argue the outrage was unwarranted because the category descriptor didn't mention the director must not be a pedophile piece of shit? Or maybe when Nate Parker's Birth of a Nation fell off the awards race because of the rape allegations against the director? That also had nothing to do with the categories descriptors.

Look, it's fine to play videogames made under less than ideal conditions. It's pretty much impossible to avoid them and the politics of the videogames industry is more often than not at odds with the progressive ones this forum adopts. But when you have something like The Game Awards, when you are celebrating the industry and have the unique opportunity to award something that's special, I really don't think it's too much of an ask to say these awards should go to games that promoted healthier work practices.

(Also, Best Direction is replacing the old award for Best Studio. Even more reason why TLOU2 shouldn't have gotten it)
Imagine equating ND crunch with a pedophile rapist.

I somewhat understand crunch when a game studio desperately needs to ship the game on time in order to stay in business, and keep people employed. I don't like it in any situation, but if a delay is make or break for people's continued employment. Then, you know, I can justify it in my head.

But Rockstar Games? EA? Naughty Dog? CD Project Red?

There's no excuse but *greed*.

I don't understand this. Whose greed?

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I think a lot of people in this thread don't understand what that award is. It's rewarding artistic direction, not production management. If they want to make an award for best company to work for then great go for it, but that's a completely different thing.

May 17, 2018
At the same time, Naughty Dog, as part of Sony, has access to so much more resources than Supergiant when developing TLoU. The studio could have hired far more people to reduce the invidual burdens or they could have accepted that, to get normal working schedules, the game should have been released in 2021 instead of 2020. They have the money that an indie does not.

And they still crunched. Shouldn't we take that into consideration, also?

No matter how many resources you have, they are never infinite. AAA budgets and deadlines are entirely different to something like an early access game made by a small independent studio.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's what they mean by "best direction". Maybe if this were a best production award, sure. But I'm "well actually'ing" a "well actually" that's meant to dunk on a game I wasn't fond of to begin with, so whatever.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't some blame fall on Sony and other publishers footing the bill? Then you can say scale down projects but what if things are in full swing and the publisher slaps a timeframe on them that will cripple them? That's not entirely the directors fault. But I agree they shoulder most of the blame

If Jason Schreier's articles are anything to go by it seems like it's less on publishers and more on upper management of the game's developer. BioWare for example was given ample opportunity to fix up Anthem and even could've learned from their Montreal studio's crunch but upper management kept dropping the ball.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Only really want a few things out of this thread.

1. That people learn that there are a bunch of studios that don't crunch, and we finally move away from "But you HAVE to crunch to make X game" (Arbitrary conditions like AAA, games of a certain size, yearly releases, etc.)
Doesn't every game have crunch in some form or another?
2. And this isn't to pick on the quote, that people wouldn't be so myopic about crunch. Some people in this thread are dividing things into "There is crunch" or "There isn't crunch". Tons of software development/game development have small periods of crunch, only a couple of days, maybe 1-2 weeks. And to be fair, even those periods of crunch are necessary. The crunch reports people like Jason Schreier have put out, and the potential that reports about Cyberpunks 1.5 years of crunch are true, should not even be in the same category as some of these other games.

Developers working a couple of ten hour/day weeks is bad, working 12 hour/day months is a completely different ballgame.

3. It's their awards. They can decide how they award them. Not surprised and kinda bored by the several people getting into the weeds about wording and wasting time deciding on if crunch "fits" into Best Direction. Crunch is not a difference in genre, in game modes, in size of game, etc. Crunch is something that affects all kinds of jobs, and should not be encouraged. If the Game Awards wanted to, they could exclude every game that had "too much crunch" and they could arbitrarily decide the limit. I don't think it's a particularly interesting conversation since they're not going to, but it's at least a better conversation than this pedantic semantics argument and implicit defense of doing nothing about crunch.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those articles you don't have to read to know is 100% correct based off of the title alone.

A good game's a good game, crunch shouldn't have anything to do with being more or less rewarding of an award, so I completely disagree.
If your staff has to constantly work overtime to get their work done, it's either a failure on their part or a failure on the leadership team for not having priorities straight.

If it was one or two individuals, it's a failure on their part. If it's an entire department, it's the failure of the leadership team. This is something that's obvious in retail, hospitality, and damn near every other job on Earth. Why is it different for video games? If you have to work overtime several days a week for months at a time, management is fucking up. Fucking up time management, or fucking up by willingly exploiting labor.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like all exploition of workers crunch is something that can be entirely avoided but isn't cause that is profitable. Nd nor any dev/pubs should be awarded for a such a practice

Nov 2, 2017
"Awarded for outstanding creative vision and innovation in game direction and design"

It has nothing to do with project management. And it can't because even if we do have reason to believe that Naughty Dog's studio management is problematic, we extremely little information with which to judge the working practice of any studio. Awards like these judge the product. They can't judge the production because we know so little about the production.

Project management is indivisible from creation vision, because creative vision and design is 100% tied to development resources and the use thereof. Creative vision is entirely about how the sausage gets made, because no matter how grand some theoretical vision is, it doesn't come across if it isn't executed, and how it gets executed is entirely about project management. It's inherently part of the discussion, and if you're a game that required massive amounts of crunch in order to execute, that has to be part of the record when we talk about direction.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a "TLOU 2 hater". I think it's a good - at points great - game. I have no problem with the Big Controversial Plot beat nor its politics. I do, however, also think it has some serious flaws

I brought up these two extreme examples because they were recent and concrete, not just hypothetical. Maybe they were too extreme and I apologize for that, but the point still stands. Context always has mattered in all awards

And even then, Ubisoft did have multiple nominations last night even with all the accusations of sexual harassment.

Mate, those examples are way too inflammatory to make a comparison. There can be no sane discussion if we're suggesting Druckmann should be censured and excluded from awards in the same way as two rapists.

Plum

May 31, 2018
This is the recurring problem when every developer want to make "our biggest and most ambitious game ever".

Cyberpunk 2077, TLOU 2, RDR2, MK 11 and God of War are prime examples of this exact expectations and all these studios had to go through years of development and a lot of crunch to deliver their product. The fact that all these games proved to be successful in one way or another even with the "crunch" is just going to legitimate all these studios to continue with their modus operandi for their next product.

MK12 or IJ3 are going to be NRS biggest project ever, so will God of War Ragnarok, GTA 6, The next Witcher and ND next project and the same cycle will repeat.

Yeah, exactly. You'd think Era of all places would have enough class consciousness to realise that the managerial class will never change as long as their methods provide results and their workers don't unionise.

But unionising would likely end up with a bunch more delays and/or less polished games and, well, we can't have that.

How many places have you worked where if the lead is working their ass off, they let the people under them do less work than them?

So you ignore that you were blatantly wrong before and then make up some random accusation that Sakurai's forcing all of his developers to crunch as much as he does?

OK?

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Would be cool to give the award but call someone ex-Naughty Dog who worked on the project asking him to talk about the crunch. Not Neil fucking Druckmann.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Imagine equating ND crunch with a pedophile rapist.
Like I said a few posts ago, I'm not equating them. I might've been too extreme, I apologize. I'm just saying that context has always mattered in awards even if it had nothing to do with the categories descriptors.

ND crunch issue seems to be an extremely serious one and yet people handwave it because "the award descriptor doesn't mention working conditions!" while in other areas it's clear that stuff outside the official descriptors can and should matter when picking winners.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
You cannot defend crunch. It's a toxic work practice that is extremely unproductive, causes stress and mental health issues... and almost always results in something coming out worse for it.

People cannot work their best when they're being overworked. More mistakes will happen, and you harm them in doing so. There is NO defense, I don't care what Triple A game standard exists. It exists because deadlines are made for the game that are unrealistic. Most of these games could easily get to a high bar of quality with better results by tacking on a year or two extra of development time. Does Nintendo crunch? Their games always seem to have extremely long development times, and if they do I know their average development time is somewhere in the ballpark of 5 years.

Make it 7 years. I don't care. The human cost to maintain these insanely tight release schedules is so unsustainable... and consumers need to chill with their impatience imo. It's a push for pull system. Consumers eat up new games like they're nothing, and get mad when there are lulls... Big companies want to maintain profits, PR, and marketing pushes to appease said hungry masses. Ugh.

Anyways, I agree with Ian. Hard agree. You should not be winning awards if you had to crack a whip over your dev team. That makes you unworthy of any award imo. It's bad enough that CP2077 is getting excused for the human toll that was taken... (and is even evident in the final product)

Nov 2, 2017
Direction is more creative though, no? Producers are responsible for keeping things on track and pushing back if things are going off track from budgetary and timeline perspectives. I think you can still have great direction but poor planning and production.

You can't, at least not from the perspective of people who weren't part of the development team while work was underway. For something like TGA, where it's voted on by journalists who don't have total transparency in regards to the development of all the games up for review, you can't separate the execution. You don't get to see the "creative vision", you only get to see the end product.

If this is what you think this award should be, what you're doing is making a good argument for "this award is nonsense and should not exist".

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Yeah that is just kind of impossible to argue with

The game should still get awarded for its quality (overall GOTY), but excessive crunch is a very clear failure of management and Druckman definitely doesn't deserve an award for that

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get citations to the award description. The point is that good direction should include good project management. Change the description if need be.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Why would a "game awards as a business" enterprise not support the business practices of their primary customers?

Its like some of you don't even realize what the "product" being sold at TGAs is.

Exactly. People pretend that TGA has any kind of integrity or independence from the businesses they are peddling for.

People will just dismiss this journalist and accuse him of being a "hater". It's quite clear that the gaming community likes journalists to take these companies to task until their favourite game/dev is in the crosshairs.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Mate, those examples are way too inflammatory to make a comparison. There can be no sane discussion if we're suggesting Druckmann should be censured and excluded from awards in the same way as two rapists.
That's fair enough. I'll edit my post to remove names and make it a more broad statement. I didn't want it to be seen as bait or needlessly inflammatory.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Supergiant Games
Insomniac
Respawn Entertainment
Iron Galaxy
Obsidian
Valve
Moon Studios

Are some of the studios that don't actively crunch on their projects.

The big problem are the big premiere studios, and they crunch A LOT, but since they release good games the press will hardly care.

Rockstar
CDPR
Santa Monica
Naughty Dog
Netherrealm Studios

It's not just the big premier studios, studios of all sizes crunch. Indies usually even more than bigger studios.

The second list is probably 50 times bigger than your first list.

Also, I don't believe for a second that none of these studios in the first list have never crunched during some point in development.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
If you can't fulfil your creative vision properly without copious amounts of worker abuse, you compromise it.

And yet a panel of experts thought The Last of Us Part II was the best example of a game with 'outstanding creative vision and innovation in game direction and design', so it obviously didn't compromise it that much.

Whatever, I'm arguing semantics. The people saying "well technically that has nothing to do with direction" just don't want to talk about the crunch, or the ethics behind heaping so much praise on the game's director without addressing it.

That's not remotely fair. I'm a game developer (my studio doesn't crunch thankfully) and I absolutely care about these issues not least because one day I might be on the wrong end of them. My stance is that:

(1) It's arbitrary to make this argument about the Best Game Direction award based on a misunderstanding of what 'Best Game Direction' means

(2) The practicality of gate keeping which studios and games are eligible for awards on the basis of what goes on inside of them is non-existent

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Direction is more creative though, no? Producers are responsible for keeping things on track and pushing back if things are going off track from budgetary and timeline perspectives. I think you can still have great direction but poor planning and production.

This is what I thought but maybe im relying too much on a movie definition

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo claims their average work day is 7 hours 45 minutes per day

www.gamesindustry.biz

Average Nintendo Japan employee earns $80,000, works less than 8 hours per day

Nintendo has revealed some interesting stats about its work culture, including average working hours and salary.A recru…

You can choose to not believe them, but that's what they say.
You can do a lot when your company is structured around fostering talent as opposed to massive hiring sprees followed by huge layoffs.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
And yet a panel of experts thought The Last of Us Part II was the best example of a game with 'outstanding creative vision and innovation in game direction and design', so it obviously didn't compromise it that much.

Yes, the fact that they didn't compromise their own creative vision, instead compromised the health of their staff and were rewarded for it is the entire fucking problem.

Also I do not consider "don't abuse your staff" to be a very high bar of "gatekeeping". It's very simple.