• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the definition TGA uses for the "Game Direction" category could easily be renamed "Best Game Design".

Also yes crunch sucks.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely agreed. I loved TLOU2 and was happy to see it win last night, but this award should have gone to Hades and SuperGiant unquestionably.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Last night had already highlighted to me that TGA is still a long way away from carrying any sort of prestige, from the way they just blitz through awards meaninglessly with little elaboration on those that could use it (see all the esports stuff for instance) and the complete lack of fanfare to even give any of them much weight.

This one though, well first I'll admit to sitting there thinking "what the heck does best direction actually mean?", the result did not help me figure this out.
So it kinda sums up the whole thing

Doesn't every game have crunch in some form or another?
I expect there's always some level of crunch involved, but I think it's safe to say there're some cases that are a lot more notoriously worse than others and as of late more of the big AAA titles are coming out with some harrowing stories in their wake.
Rockstar, Netherrealm, Naughty Dog are probably just the tip of the iceberg.

I sometimes wonder how much goes on like this in Japan that eludes our notice, especially with the country's work ethic, out of sight out of mind you could say.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
While I'm fine with having awards that reward games made without crunch, I don't really agree with the premise. "Game direction" is not "corporate direction" or "employee direction", at least not in the sense that TGA defines it:

unknown.png

It's about the creative vision and game design.

Moreover, you'd have to disqualify a lot of nominees because most games are made with crunch.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
What's the criteria for "Best Direction" at The Game Awards? What is taken into account when deciding on a winner? From what I've seen, and correct me if I'm wrong, it's misaligned with the premise of this writer's article.

Scubdi

Jan 21, 2020
While last of us part 2 is an amazing game (My personal game of the year is Animal Crossing tho). I have to agree that it was kind of disappointing for that award going to naughty dog with all the news about crunch.
I'm worried that this will just justify them pushing their employees even further to their limits on their next game. I do hope that a time will come when as with bioware relying on "Bioware magic" the crunch blows up on naughty dogs face.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Best direction is for "outstanding creative vision and innovation in game direction and design".

This has literally nothing to do with whether or not a studio crunches.
Crunch is part of game direction and design. That's project management as much as creating levels or mechanics.

Awarding crunch like this is an endorsement of it, and it's gross. Especially when such notable exceptions (that one might call exceptional) exist.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a "best direction" award isn't going to project management. It's going to the games design and creative direction.

IMO, the argument being made here should go more towards Game of the year as you shouldn't be awarding poor practices with the highest honor

Award the hard labor that went into each individual aspect with the sub awards, but the top award is the one that shouldn't be deserved

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
I don't think the best direction in this case has to do with project management, so it's missing the point on why LoU2 got the award.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
This quite clearly falls outside the description of the 'Best Direction' award. It is not an award which takes into consideration anything about the production of the game. Not only that but the notion that you could ever have an award based on the way games are produced is pretty dubious because while we can judge the product we have no practical way to judge the production.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you didn't mean that to downplay the situation.

I don't have the article on hand but Nintendo announced the ACNH delay because they wanted to prevent the devs from crunch.
Don't buy it

I don't even want to know what Japanese crunch is like. Or is regular work culture for them what we'd consider crunch?

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Whelp, Morrigan beat me to the punch.

However, I DO think future awards ceremonies should have the audacity to PREVENT studios who are doing insane crunch (not like, a little bit of overtime) and can prove they are not doing insane hours in order to even be considered for various awards shows.

Yeah, I'm not joking. It should all be tied into unionization, too.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
As someone for whom TLOU2 means a great deal to me, and speaking more broadly – it doesn't warrant the exploitative conditions it was produced under. There is zero merit in it and if the response is that the game would have been less polished or intricate on release, then so be it. I would rather a product with flaws than expending people, their health and their families for the sake of it.

There's a lot to praise Naughty Dog for but those elements don't work to overcome, diminish or justify the crunch they put their team under, nor the trampling of other minorities in lifting up others.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Supergiant Games
Insomniac
Respawn Entertainment
Iron Galaxy
Obsidian
Valve
Moon Studios

Are some of the studios that don't actively crunch on their projects.

The big problem are the big premiere studios, and they crunch A LOT, but since they release good games the press will hardly care.

Rockstar
CDPR
Santa Monica
Naughty Dog
Netherrealm Studios
That is good to be put on perspective. If I remember correct Dice crunch a lot.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much all games have crunch in one form or another. Whether that's AAA games, or the indie game that's made by one person who's coding 14 hours a day.

In any case, I totally disagree with the premise that how a game is made has any bearing on it's reception.

Good game is good. End of story.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
by don't crunch at all does that mean everything just runs at the normal schedule and no one puts in overtime, weekends etc? Honestly didnt know that was a thing and thought as the game release gets closer its pretty normal to put in more hours to finish the game.
Overtime is one thing, like spending an hour or two after hours to work on a thing every once in a while. Crunch is the expectation that you will be REQUIRED to work overtime on a schedule, which goes after work hours and into the weekend. When your game's production requires Crunch periods in order to meet milestones, then that's a massive error in planning, coordination, and scheduling.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with everything in that article, and it feels quite clear that a lot of the media that chooses the winner for the best game direction doesn't really know what "game direction" means and just treats it as an alternative GOTY award or chooses the game with the most public and/or hyped up AAA game director.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Whomever voted for TLOU2 wilfully ignored the conditions of development, which is a huge bummer and a sign that we've still got a long way to go. All steps of development are involved in game direction. Not gonna bother with "game design" as I don't think TLOU2 deserved on that merit either.

A popular online statement, first coined by Fanbyte podcast producer Jordan Mallory, says, "I want shorter games with worse graphics made by people who are paid more to work less and I'm not kidding." The message from all those who share it is clear: No game, not even industry darling The Last of Us Part II, is worth destroying lives to create.

Massive agreement to this. These are video games, not the vaccine to halt a pandemic.

This quite clearly falls outside the description of the 'Best Direction' award. It is not an award which takes into consideration anything about the production of the game.

That wouldn't make sense.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
hard disagree

this award is clearly based on artistic merit not based on how the actual studio is directed over development -_-

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I somehow had no idea TLoU2 was made under crunch, maybe because most of the news I remember hearing about it pertained to fanbase toxicity and other topics that it kinda drowned out the crunch news for me.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
That wouldn't make sense.

What wouldn't make sense?

For what it's worth, if someone really wanted to make the argument that The Last of Us Part II and Naughty Dog should not receive awards because of crunch then I could maybe be persuaded. In this case however the author has picked out an award category they do not understand and arbitrarily decided Naughty Dog don't deserve it.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Best direction is for "outstanding creative vision and innovation in game direction and design".

Correct. Crunch sucks, but game direction involves things like how all the pieces of the product come together to form a cohesive whole. Crunch is a management issue, not a direction issue.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017

How do you think they got the game to such a point in the first place? people are talking about not rewarding games for working their staff into the ground and the takeaway is suddenly that has nothing to do with this.

May 17, 2018
Game director ≠ shift manager.

Neil can and *should* learn from mistakes made along the way, but, Naughty Dog didn't just bumble their way into all of those high scores.

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. It's worth nothing also that pretty much all blockbuster films are made under crunch conditions for the armies of VFX teams that work on them, very little is said about that any more though sadly after quite a vocal movement about it a few years back.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Read the article. One of TLoU II competitors in the category of Best Game Direction was Hades, made by Supergiant.
The article does detail the measures taken by Supergiant to avoid crunch, and without it, they developed a Game of the Year contender.

If TLoU needed an extra year of development to come out without crunching, then so be it. The upper management of the company should have argued with Sony to get it, instead of forcing their employees to crunch. Both Naughty Dog and SIE have the resources to take the financial hit.
Right. But the work that goes into a game like Last of Us part 2 compared to a game like Hades doesnt really compare. So certainly that has to be taken into consideration too when deciding, no? You are directing a much larger project with many more moving pieces so it's not a surprise a game like hades doesnt have as much crunch.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Game deserves credit, Director or whoever is in charge of workload should not be rewarded if they are forcing them to work that many hours.

Agreed with this. The best game should be a reward for the entire studio and the work they've done. I think the studio as a whole should receive the award, with speakers from each department.

Best direction should remain, but crunch would be disqualifying. So I probably would have given Hades the award for best direction and TLOU2 would still keep its GOTY award.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Why would a "game awards as a business" enterprise not support the business practices of their primary customers?

Its like some of you don't even realize what the "product" being sold at TGAs is.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely agree

Nice to see some people are going to sweep ND's shenanigans under the rug

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I agree but a lot of these award descriptions are vague as hell considering how many people in this thread are arguing against this.