• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
narutosuns4illu-889x500.jpg

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a huge Naruto fan by any means, I actually fell off this series pretty early on when the first filler arcs in the anime started showing up. I mostly kept up in the most casual way possible, by reading about story happenings on twitter and by playing the Ultimate Ninja Storm games. So I'm not wanting a Naruto fighting game because I'm a huge naruto fan boy, but because I think the series and it's characters would lend itself incredibly well to a hyper fighter.

Naruto, as you may know, has a ton of characters, arguably way too many to keep track of, but something that the series manages to do well is to actually give each and every single one a distinct and unique fighting style, and that's why I believe it would lend itself well to a fighting game. There's so many choices for creative and unique movesets for a fighting game. I would love to play as Kiba as I would imagine it'd be like controlling two separate Wolverine style characters at the same time, or to play as Neji who could have a rekka series that increases it's number of follow ups each time you land the attack.
If ArcSys ever decides to give the DBFZ treatment to another anime franchises, I think Naruto would make for the best fit for the genre.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
No, I have dibs on One Piece FighterZ! Naruto can get in line :^3

All you Naruto guys get the decent CyberConnect2 games. We One Piece boys are dying out here.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
No, I have dibs on One Piece FighterZ! Naruto can get in line :^3

All you Naruto guys get the decent CyberConnect2 games. We One Piece boys are dying out here.
Gonna be completely honest the CyberConnect games ain't cutting it. Those games have the most shallow ass gameplay

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
XeHDWwV.png

You want it badly enough to make two threads about it, that's dedication.

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
I have to imagine the line to get a licensed fighter made by Arc is pretty long after DBFZ and Granblue VS.

If I had to guess who might be next, it'd be either One Piece or Fate.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
One Piece? nah.. Naruto is way more popular around the world and the characters are better also for a fighting game

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Just a matter of when, not if, probably. Possibly sooner rather than later (like, in the next 5 years, maybe). It's too popular an IP not to get one at some point. We can only hope that it's ArcSys or another quality fighting game developer that is paid to develop it and not some D tier one.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Just a matter of when, not if, probably. Possibly sooner rather than later (like, in the next 5 years, maybe). It's too popular an IP not to get one at some point. We can only hope that it's ArcSys or another quality fighting game developer that is paid to develop it and not some D tier one.
Eh.

If it happens, it'll be a Bort game.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I'd want a Jump vs Capcom made by Capcom with some ArcSys designers on board for the presentation. 3v3 hyper fighter with active tag combat and a 4th character chosen as an assist. Think MvC1, MvCi, and Jump Ultimate Stars.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nah fuck fighter Z and it's repetitive shit

Gimme this shit though for the new consoles

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
There are so many fighting games I'd love to see Arc Sys make:
- Final Fantasy fighters
- Bleach fighter
- Full Metal Alchemist brotherhood
- DC vs Marvel

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naruto's already has 3v3 format within its teams, and the characters lend themselves to fighting game archetypes. Also plenty of awesome women characters.

And 22 different Narutos for DLC.

I want this fighter more than anything. You have my kunai, OP.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

The only two series more popular than OP are Batman and Superman, and Batman won't have that slot for long
I don't think that disproves what the person you quoted said. One Piece is crazy successful in Japan but it's behind Naruto outside Japan, from my understanding. Overall sales numbers don't really paint the whole picture (especially considering One Piece started before Naruto and is continuing to this day)

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I don't necessarily want it exactly like DBFZ, but a 2D Naruto fighter would be pretty cool. Especially since there are so many abilities and characters that they can pull from.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
That can be a sequel down the line. OG Naruto has way too many fan favorites to jump straight to Boruto.

Man, Shueisha ain't about to go back to OG naruto or Shippuden while they're trying to push Bort. They have units to sell in Japan and they have NEVER given a fuck about what the rest of the world wants.

It's kind of a miracle that Shinobi Strikers came out in the state that it was in.

As for what I want?

Just take this, upscale it, maybe put in a tag feature.

Ultimate Ninja 3 and 4 were damn near perfection and no one remembers them.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I don't think that disproves what the person you quoted said. One Piece is crazy successful in Japan but it's behind Naruto outside Japan, from my understanding. Overall sales numbers don't really paint the whole picture (especially considering One Piece started before Naruto and is continuing to this day)
But if you're talking world-wide, surely the most popular is synonymous with the best selling. If you don't include Japan sure Naruto wins, but Japan is part of the world.

And even on an individual per volume basis, One Piece outsells Naruto, so that eliminates the fact that there are more volumes of OP published.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

individual volumes of OP absolutely killed individual volumes on Naruto in sales. it's not just because there are more volumes.

outside of Demon Slayer (!!) the only Jump manga I think that sold higher per volume average than OP is Dragon Ball.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet. Naruto is like the second biggest anime in the world (not just Japan) after DBZ, and the Storm games always sold extremely well. Where's my 2D fighting game, Namco?!

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want it to be a 3v3 team fighting game tho. I know in Naruto they had squads of 3, but I prefer 1v1 or 2v2. Differentiate it from DBFZ.

Edit: Was supposed to be an edit. Not a double post. 🤔

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I would want a HxH or Jojo ArcSys game before any other shonen anime, but I don't really think I'd want a Naruto 3v3 in specific. It doesn't have to be the EXACT same as DBFZ.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
But if you're talking world-wide, surely the most popular is synonymous with the best selling. If you don't include Japan sure Naruto wins, but Japan is part of the world.

And even on an individual per volume basis, One Piece outsells Naruto, so that eliminates the fact that there are more volumes of OP published.
If that popularity in one country/region doesn't translate to similar superiority in video game sales, it's not necessarily the most important metric if there are potential hundreds of thousands of extra video game copies to be sold outside that one region for the not-as-popular-in-Japan IP. I haven't really followed these things all that closely, but I don't recall One Piec lighting the charts on fire on a whole different scale to Naruto games in Japan. Maybe if One Piece games sold like Dragon Quest in Japan, they could ignore the rest of the world, but I'm not sure that they do, so how One Piece does outside Japan vs. Naruto is still pretty important if they want to maximize potential profit.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would want a HxH or Jojo ArcSys game before any other shonen anime, but I don't really think I'd want a Naruto 3v3 in specific. It doesn't have to be the EXACT same as DBFZ.

Yeah, but it makes 100% sense for Naruto to be a 3v3 fighter. It's how squads are formed. It makes way less sense for DBFZ to be a tag fighter since they rarely ever fight together.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yup. The first actually good anime fighting game. Too bad it was totally overshadowed by Narutimate Ninja back then and so it will never come back. I miss Eighting...

Oct 27, 2017

Came in here to say it. GEKITOU NINJA TAISEN 4
My only gripe was that they didn't give the characters their special moves from the Sound 5 arc aside from Curse Seal Sasuke and Demon Fox Naruto

Yup. The first actually good anime fighting game. Too bad it was totally overshadowed by Narutimate Ninja back then and so it will never come back. I miss Eighting...
I always found it akin to the Smackdown vs Aki wrestling games. The ones that were flashy and feature rich, but ultimately shallow won out over the ones that had the better gameplay (should be obvious which one is which). Oh well

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
individual volumes of OP absolutely killed individual volumes on Naruto in sales.
Outside Japan?

it's not just because there are more volumes.
I never said that. Just that direct comparisons at this point are starting to be pointless because Naruto has had, like, several years less of books released, so of course the gap is starting to look even more lobsided to OP.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it would be pretty dope. Say they did one for part 1, they'd have the perfect lineup.

- Naruto
- Sasuke
- Sakura
- Kakashi
- Neji
- Lee
- Gaara
- Shikamaru w/Chouji and Ino supports
- Shino
- Hinata
- Kiba
- Zabuza
- Haku
- Sarutobi
- Orochimaru
- Jiraiya
- Tsunade
- Kabuto
- Itachi
- Kisame
- Tayuya w/Sound 4
- Kimimaro
- VotE Naruto
- VotE Sasuke

24 characters.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
If that popularity in one country/region doesn't translate to similar superiority in video game sales, it's not necessarily the most important metric if there are potential hundreds of thousands of extra video game copies to be sold outside that one region for the not-as-popular-in-Japan IP. I haven't really followed these things all that closely, but I don't recall One Piec lighting the charts on fire on a whole different scale to Naruto games in Japan. Maybe if One Piece games sold like Dragon Quest in Japan, they could ignore the rest of the world, but I'm not sure that they do, so how One Piece does outside Japan vs. Naruto is still pretty important if they want to maximize potential profit.

does naruto still get regular merch outside of the one-off collab stuff (that Coach line, lol) or not?

does boruto even run in shonen jump?

we'll set DBZ aside as an anomaly as its popularity transcends pretty much all else internationally, but the reason why you see OP games pretty regularly and Naruto games infrequently is because the games are basically just advertising for comics. One Piece merch makes Bandai a shit ton of money, while it also functions as promotion for an ongoing comic book. I don't think a toy line based on Boruto is going to have the same appeal.

manga sales in the rest of the world are nothing compared to Japanese sales.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, the FighterZ design could be applied to pretty much any property the same way Musou is. JoJo would be awesome too and I'd personally love to see Battle Angel Alita since it went full shonen during the ZOTT arc.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
You know why DBZ was the first game made by ArcSys? Because they care about the entire world and not only Japan.

Naruto is bigger than OP outside of Japan and they should be the next game.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know why DBZ was the first game made by ArcSys? Because they care about the entire world and not only Japan.

Naruto is bigger than OP outside of Japan and they should be the next game.
Going by that logic, One Piece was the second game made by ArcSys (back on 3DS) probably by the same reason.

So One Piece FighterZ now pls!!

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
does naruto still get regular merch outside of the one-off collab stuff (that Coach line, lol) or not?

does boruto even run in shonen jump?

we'll set DBZ aside as an anomaly as its popularity transcends pretty much all else internationally, but the reason why you see OP games pretty regularly and Naruto games infrequently is because the games are basically just advertising for comics. One Piece merch makes Bandai a shit ton of money, while it also functions as promotion for an ongoing comic book. I don't think a toy line based on Boruto is going to have the same appeal.
I'm not sure what any of these have to do with Naruto's fairly large popularity outside Japan, unless the implication is that Namco Bandai could never choose to develop any anime/manga-game if it's not in service of an on-going manga? Maybe that's true. Just saying that One Piece's insane manga-success doesn't really translate to any kind of insane video game success of every One Piece game selling a minimum of 3 million copies in Japan alone or anything like that, so in that regard Namco Bandai might want to look at IPs that have a more worldwide appeal, when deciding what IP to use for globally released video games.

manga sales in the rest of the world are nothing compared to Japanese sales.
Sure, but they can still be of indication of popularity of different franchises and translate to success of things like video games. A One Piece 2d fighter might sell decently in Japan but it might not make much of a dent elsewhere. A Naruto fighting game can ALSO sell decently in Japan, but has the popularity outside Japan to (potentially) help it sell really well elsewhere too, especially if they get ArcSys to put their crazy quality to it.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
One Piece? nah.. Naruto is way more popular around the world and the characters are better also for a fighting game

I won't make a comment on the worldwide popularity outside of Japan, b/c that's pretty tough to gauge, but I think it's pretty obvious that One Piece would have far more unique & interesting fighters than Naruto.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel just doing anime game MvC style could cover it. The arena ones like Jump Force don't do it for me.