• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
XvlECTb.jpg

A lot of people really want Nintendo to go back and work on older franchises like F-Zero, but I would really love to see a new Pilotwings game. Growing up, my Dad was an aerospace engineer for Northrop Grumman and worked on the F-14 Tomcat, EA6B Prowler and the B-2 Spirit. He specifically worked on the simulators for these and in our family, airplanes and fighter jets/bombers were kind of a thing growing up. We always had flight simulator games, like Microsoft's FS games, Janes Combat Sim games, as well as games like Top gun 1/2 and "Stealth" on NES. Anything to do with flying was big. I couldnt get enough and to this day, still love simulators and any other game that involves flying.

After we got an SNES, Pilotwings was one of the first games we got. We were all blown away at the game as it was so fun trying to nail a perfect run on all of the different flying challenges.
ufWWm1L.jpg

uMQ1iph.png

Then we eventually got to the helicopter mission and were blown away at how cool that was at the time(and challenging). One hit and you're dead.

CkP5O6L.jpg

Then we find out after this mission, there's a "hard mode" of the game after this is complete with night helicopter mission at the end(even more challenging, targets are smaller, shoot faster and more accurate, its night time, and of course, one hit and you're dead.)

WbPiQOx.gif

Ii4aSe9.gif

vnleWwJ.jpg

HOuq379.jpg

qQ7XWbp.gif

Hell, even the 4th instructor, "Big Al" looks like my fucking Dad(my last name even starts with the letters AL). My dad also to this day still wears Ray Ban Aviator sunglasses(another Big Al staple feature).
E8KtlAt.png

At times we used to call my dad Big Al and he'd always laugh. I'd love to send you a comparison shot but I dont think my Dad would be too thrilled about having his photo here :P

The game also had an amazing soundtrack by Soyo Oka!

Anyway, that game really meant a lot to me as it had a real close connection with my entire family. I still play it today on my SNES classic.

58pllJR.png

Eventually, the N64 came out along with Pilotwings 64 which also blew us away. It was exactly what we expected in terms of advances and even threw in the Gyrocopter which was so much fun to fly. I did miss the biplane and parachute challenges though.

LPeJEv9.png

9YJIqLw.jpg

z7UpF2Y.jpg

The game had all sorts of cool stuff like the Gyrocopter, jumble hopper(?), and a bird suit for flying around the area.

The soundtrack was done by Dan Hess which had a great combination of different musical styles. It was awesome as well.

After that it just kinda died. Never saw a sequel on 64, and never saw an update on Gamecube. I was hoping there would be Pilotwings GC along with WaveRace BS, but we only got the latter.

Now I know there is also a Pilotwings Resort, but I never played it so I cant comment on it unfortunately. Playing on handheld for more than 20min hurts my neck so I don't play 3DS or Switch in handheld mode often.

So yeah, sorry for the overly long story there, but I really wish Nintendo would revisit this franchise as there is so much that they could do with this style of game. Knowing what they can put out now on the Switch, I'd love to see a new game with lots of cool challenges and vehicles to pilot. It just pains me that these games aren't pursued anymore by Nintendo, as its such a fun and easy going game with a cool and interesting gameplay loop.

Please give us a new Pilotwings!

Also, thread cant be complete without the legendary RocketBelt track from the SNES version:

UPDATE, I played Pilotwings Resort thanks to this thread:
So finally getting back to this thread, I've been playing Pilotwings Resort and I think its pretty good! I like the variety of different types of vehicles like the fighter jet and such (though I hate that bicycle glider, wtfff). I'm kind of bored with the single island, though I haven't finished all of the challenge tiers yet. My issue though is my whole time playing it I'm thinking "man this would be so much better on a big screen." I feel like its a nice entry in the Pilotwings franchise so far, but it could've been much more.

Also, the Plane music keeps getting stuck in my head because it sounds a lot like the Millenial Fair music from Chrono Trigger!

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
As a kid I could never finish the helicopter mission. I had no idea there is a whole other mode. Loved this game, it was just a bit beyond my skill level at the time.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
Pilotwings 64 was such an amazing experience for me, the mix of challenges and relaxing birdman gameplay still sticks with me. That soundtrack too!!!

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Get Resort, OP. It's the Wii-ified version of the old games, but still a good time if you're a fan. Cheap, too.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pilotwings Resort was amazing.

I want more Mii citiies to visit á la Flight Simulator but with Pilotwings mechanics and vehicles :v

Apr 21, 2018
I enjoyed Pilotwings on 3DS and 100%'d it.

But I don't really see how a new standard Pilotwings fits into today's market. It would have to incoorporate some new experience to make it interesting. Maybe if it had VR or became some seamless connected online world.

So, it's probably one of the last Nintendo franchises I'd like to see make a return when Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Ice Climbers, Punch-Out, Mach Rider, 1080, Waverace, Excitebike, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, and Advance Wars lurk in the shadows.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
One of my big gaming regrets is never beating Pilotwings on the SNES. I made it to the second helicopter stage but kept dying (and it's quite a bit of work to try again).

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Ultrawings is a pretty nice. It's got a similar look to Pilotwings, and a similar chill vibe. Not as good, of course, but you can play it in VR which is bloody lovely.

edit: I played it on PS4 but it's on Switch too.

OP
OP
Petruccis Biceps
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to the replies in this thread, I ordered a used copy of Pilotwings Resort for 3DS. Just gotta dig out my 3DS now!

Ultrawings is a pretty nice. It's got a similar look to Pilotwings, and a similar chill vibe. Not as good, of course, but you can play it in VR which is bloody lovely.

edit: I played it on PS4 but it's on Switch too.

This looks pretty cool, can you play the PS4 version without VR? I have a PSVR but unfortunately I have problems with a lot of games in terms of motion sickness, which is really disappointing to me.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Yeah, Pilotwings is awesome and as good as Resort was, I'd hate to see the series end on that note. I'd love to see another proper console Pilotwings for the Switch, though I obviously don't expect one.

I have tons of great memories of playing the original Pilotwings and Pilotwings 64 with my dad, and I still occasionally go back to the original to this day.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
3DS one is low key a fantastic launch title showing what the 3D could really do.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
This looks pretty cool, can you play the PS4 version without VR? I have a PSVR but unfortunately I have problems with a lot of games in terms of motion sickness, which is really disappointing to me.
There''s a separate game that came out later. Search for Ultrawings Flat. It was given away free to Ultrawings PSVR owners so if that offer still exists you should buy the VR one and get both. (edit: I checked and it was a limited-time deal.) Don't expect the Earth from this game. It's a nice but Pilotwings is far better.

You may even find the VR version doesn't make you sick. Have you played many "cockpit" style games? Games where you walk around can make me a little dizzy, but put me in a cockpit and I can handle Wipeout-level insanity.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite games to rent back in the day. Such a cool, chill vibe. You rarely got games like this on the SNES.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
The flying games in Wii Sports Resort were such a tease. I would love a full Switch PilotWings game.

If I get a Series X next year, it'll 75% be just to play microsoft flight sim lol. I hope we see a resurgence in this type of game.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Never played a PilotWings game, but it has some of my favorite remixes in Smash Bros.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation

You may want to give Ultrawings VR a try with the PSVR setup. They upped the response to 90 fps, so it is a LOT smoother than the typical 60 fps PSVR game. You may really enjoy it that way as I hear higher frame rates reduces motion sickness.

It's a very fun game once you get into it!

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
pilotwings is kind of weird when i think about it... a scattered smorgasbord of objectives in relation to "flying"

i'd love a new one and it could totally work but i'm not particularly sure what it'd be 30 years later

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
The team who made Microsoft Flight Simulator should team up with Nintendo for a new Pilotwings.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Nice thread, OP. I'd like one too but I doubt Nintendo would make another unless it was to show off a feature of their new technology.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I loved Pilotwings 64 with my whole heart. That game was the summer of 1997 as far as I'm concerned. I would pay embarrassing amounts of money for a new Pilotwings on Switch.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
There''s a separate game that came out later. Search for Ultrawings Flat. It was given away free to Ultrawings PSVR owners so if that offer still exists you should buy the VR one and get both. (edit: I checked and it was a limited-time deal.) Don't expect the Earth from this game. It's a nice but Pilotwings is far better.

You may even find the VR version doesn't make you sick. Have you played many "cockpit" style games? Games where you walk around can make me a little dizzy, but put me in a cockpit and I can handle Wipeout-level insanity.
Just tried it and yeah it's still free for owners of the original. When you add it to your cart the price comes to $0

ProtossX

Jul 24, 2020
Pilot wings and pilot wings 64 are great. They used to be really good showpieces for a new system.
I never owned either one myself but I used to rent snes one all the time and played 64 at friends house a ton.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Pilotwings Resort is alright... shorter than I hoped for, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I agree OP, the series is great and we definitely need a new entry.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I ALWAYS want another Pilotwings.

The feeling of freedom while playing the N64 game back then was goddamn amazing. I'll never forget it and it's a shame we haven't had a game in the series that in-depth since.

Resort was fine, but it wasn't quite the Pilotwings game I wanted.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I ALWAYS want another Pilotwings.

The feeling of freedom while playing the N64 game back then was goddamn amazing. I'll never forget it and it's a shame we haven't had a game in the series that in-depth since.

Resort was fine, but it wasn't quite the Pilotwings game I wanted.
The biggest bummer with Resort was having just the one map to explore.

gpn

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Pilotwings 64 and would love to get a new one. Labo VR support would be cool too.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
XvlECTb.jpg

A lot of people really want Nintendo to go back and work on older franchises like F-Zero, but I would really love to see a new Pilotwings game. Growing up, my Dad was an aerospace engineer for Northrop Grumman and worked on the F-14 Tomcat, EA6B Prowler and the B-2 Spirit. He specifically worked on the simulators for these and in our family, airplanes and fighter jets/bombers were kind of a thing growing up. We always had flight simulator games, like Microsoft's FS games, Janes Combat Sim games, as well as games like Top gun 1/2 and "Stealth" on NES. Anything to do with flying was big. I couldnt get enough and to this day, still love simulators and any other game that involves flying.

After we got an SNES, Pilotwings was one of the first games we got. We were all blown away at the game as it was so fun trying to nail a perfect run on all of the different flying challenges.
ufWWm1L.jpg

uMQ1iph.png

Then we eventually got to the helicopter mission and were blown away at how cool that was at the time(and challenging). One hit and you're dead.

CkP5O6L.jpg

Then we find out after this mission, there's a "hard mode" of the game after this is complete with night helicopter mission at the end(even more challenging, targets are smaller, shoot faster and more accurate, its night time, and of course, one hit and you're dead.)

WbPiQOx.gif

Ii4aSe9.gif

vnleWwJ.jpg

HOuq379.jpg

qQ7XWbp.gif

Hell, even the 4th instructor, "Big Al" looks like my fucking Dad(my last name even starts with the letters AL). My dad also to this day still wears Ray Ban Aviator sunglasses(another Big Al staple feature).
E8KtlAt.png

At times we used to call my dad Big Al and he'd always laugh. I'd love to send you a comparison shot but I dont think my Dad would be too thrilled about having his photo here :P

The game also had an amazing soundtrack by Soyo Oka!

Anyway, that game really meant a lot to me as it had a real close connection with my entire family. I still play it today on my SNES classic.

58pllJR.png

Eventually, the N64 came out along with Pilotwings 64 which also blew us away. It was exactly what we expected in terms of advances and even threw in the Gyrocopter which was so much fun to fly. I did miss the biplane and parachute challenges though.

LPeJEv9.png

9YJIqLw.jpg

z7UpF2Y.jpg

The game had all sorts of cool stuff like the Gyrocopter, jumble hopper(?), and a bird suit for flying around the area.

The soundtrack was done by Dan Hess which had a great combination of different musical styles. It was awesome as well.

After that it just kinda died. Never saw a sequel on 64, and never saw an update on Gamecube. I was hoping there would be Pilotwings GC along with WaveRace BS, but we only got the latter.

Now I know there is also a Pilotwings Resort, but I never played it so I cant comment on it unfortunately.

So yeah, sorry for the overly long story there, but I really wish Nintendo would revisit this franchise as there is so much that they could do with this style of game. Knowing what they can put out now on the Switch, I'd love to see a new game with lots of cool challenges and vehicles to pilot. It just pains me that these games aren't pursued anymore by Nintendo, as its such a fun and easy going game with a cool and interesting gameplay loop.

Please give us a new Pilotwings!

Also, thread cant be complete without the legendary RocketBelt track from the SNES version:

Agreed. Pilotwings is one of my most cherished and favorite IP's of all time. Especially Pilotwings 64. Hell just throw the originals on Nintendo Online. It's not gonna happen sadly.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
The thread convinced me to get a used copy. I just don't game that much on the 3DS because I have neck issues and can only play for a certain amount of time. Getting old sucks bro.
Resort is pretty good but it's not exactly the same feels as the first two.

Oh, and just put a pillow or two on your lap to get the 3DS in proper elevation to alleviate that neck problem.

plateaux

Oct 27, 2017
New England
Pilotwings 64 was amazing. As a launch game, I spent hours flying around the USA map. I was so impressed with the simplified yet detailed versions of American cities. Hitting targets with the missiles on the gyrocopter. Finding little Easter eggs. Exploring caves and tunnels in the snowy mountain level. Peaceful bird wing suit photography sessions. It was as much a photography game to me as a flight one. Ahh I need a new one.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
Supposedly Factor 5 was deep in development of a Pilotwings Sequel for the Gamecube that never saw the light of day. Considering the magic they pulled of with the hardware.. A Gamecube sequel would've surely been amazing

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I 100% Pilotwings Resort, incredible game. The stereoscopic 3D is still amazing, and each of the aircraft handle beautifully. The missions were super well-designed too, and they explored the island from so many angles and in so many conditions. It never felt repetitive to me. Honestly one of the best launch games on a system. I also like that they brought back Mecha Hawk at the end.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
I just adored the ultra-chill nature of the two latter games (not counting some harder game modes). Being a feisty 10-year old who had just snapped in full rage while constantly dying in SM64's Tick-Tock Clock, Pilotwings' free flying mode (as well as the hang glider's theme music) in gorgeous 3D environment.

3DS version did not hit me as hard but it was still a relaxing game in a world where brown/grey online-shooters ruled the world.