• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I nearly just bought this on the eShop as a result of this thread, but the art style is...not good, imo. Am I being superficial? How long is it on sale? I need to ponder my decision.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah don't sleep on this one. I feel it will be a love or hate situation for most but if you give it a chance and learn the systems its really fun

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I nearly just bought this on the eShop as a result of this thread, but the art style is...not good, imo. Am I being superficial? How long is it on sale? I need to ponder my decision.

Sale ends... tomorrow. (Sale durations are shown on the eShop page, above Software Details.)

I think the art style would grow on you. The world map the game takes place on is quite pretty, and the character models aren't bad to look at in motion.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
You piqued my interest enough to look into it a little more. I have to say, it looks really rough. Like, maybe there is a great game buried in there, but I wouldn't have enough confidence in it to buy a copy before it goes on sale with a fairly heavy discount.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Keep hearing good things, but in the videos I watch - man the aesthetic is totally offputting. Character designs seem bad as well. Maybe someday.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Yeah this game is amazing. With regards to the posts above about the game's look: yeah, it's kinda clunky and un-flashy. The thing is, I think that's sort of a good thing? The game was clearly made on a shoestring budget, and they very smartly focused on developing the parts of the game that are really important to making it great (the amazing combat, the really cool world design, the multiple protagonists). Definitely not the most attractive game, though I like the look of the world map, but that's really just a signal that the devs were very good at prioritizing how to spend their money. For $24 it's a steal.

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of this game before. All of the opinions, positive and negative, point to it being something that I'd enjoy.

It looks ugly as hell, but I can get over it.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Am I the only one who actually likes even the art style? The characters have enjoyable animations and design, the world map is so cute with the hand-drawn icons too

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Most refreshing jrpg I've played in a long time. Battle system is so much fun. The story won't impress but if you take the time to talk to people the lore in there is pretty good.

Pretty much a gameplay over story jrpg but still manages sink it's hooks into you.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of getting this but then I heard that there is no option for the orginal Japanese audio just an English dub.
Which is a huge nono pet peave of mine.

Granted I also heard there is very little spoken audio, but still this is how I roll.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
In this era? Really? Ha, absolutely not. That went from a "buy when it is on sale" to a hard "never buy".

That's very easy to fix (PC only obviously ) literally just copy and paste. Download both japanese and english version in steam and overwrite the english voice files in \SaGaSCARLETGRACE_Data\StreamingAssets\Bundles\Voice\ with the ones from the Japanese edition.
Might want to consider the OP_SaGaSCARLETGRACE.mp4 file as well, but you won't have english subtitles for that unless you reencode and add them yourself.
While very unlikely, rarely a voice is located in a file in an odd place or packed into something, so there is a small chance a sound byte was missed, but that should be most of it if not everything.

Oct 25, 2017
...? Virtually the only voiced lines are mere battle quotes. Very little story dialogue is voiced, so the lack of JP voice option shouldn't be a big deal.

There's gotta be like 90% overlap between people that are super demanding about JP voice acting and super specific in what they demand from a Japanese-made RPG, so there's probably not a giant loss.

Playing with JP voice acting is going to make the vast majority of the voice acting incomprehensible for people that don't speak Japanese.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Playing with JP voice acting is going to make the vast majority of the voice acting incomprehensible for people that don't speak Japanese.

Right? I'm happy for people to have options, but I've never quite understood non-Japanese-speakers for whom no dual audio was a dealbreaker... especially when dubbing is handled by excellent localizers such as 8-4.

Then again, there's probably a near-full overlap with people who think English voice acting cannot be good... while simultaneously not understanding—and thus, not being able to accurately judge—the Japanese voice-acting they prefer.

Dec 2, 2017
Right? I'm happy for people to have options, but I've never quite understood non-Japanese-speakers for whom no dual audio was a dealbreaker... especially when dubbing is handled by excellent localizers such as 8-4.

Then again, there's probably a near-full overlap with people who think English voice acting cannot be good... while simultaneously not understanding—and thus, not being able to accurately judge—the Japanese voice-acting they prefer.

Japanese voice acting generally has a higher floor, but can often be very rote. But if you don't understand it, you can at least imagine it's good just from tone & expressive noises. In English you'll hear all the small subtle cues that clue you in to the fact that you're watching a sub-TV cartoon performance.

It also helps for people learning the language.

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
I fell in love with Last Remnant this year, which from some accounts I've read shares some important SaGa DNA. Would you recommend Scarlet Grace for a big LR fan?

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a fan of turn based rpgs my entire life and I honestly think this might have the best turn based battle system ever. Easily top 3, at least.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was actually thinking of playing this (and the SaGa series at large) recently, but this thread might be pushing me to do that sooner rather than later.

Oct 25, 2017
I fell in love with Last Remnant this year, which from some accounts I've read shares some important SaGa DNA. Would you recommend Scarlet Grace for a big LR fan?

Generally yes, but note that Last Remnant was taking a bunch of SaGa gameplay mechanics but pushing them into something vaguely resembling a traditional JRPG in terms of plot and plot structure, while brining in the abstract SRPG mechanics and conventions. SSG has a bunch of similar mechanics and philosophies, but pushed into an an open-world game most similar to RPGs that aren't JRPGs, like Uncharted Waters or Sunless Sea/Skies.

LR's battle system is kind of loose and sloppy, while the battle system in SSG is meticulous and deterministic.

I've been a fan of turn based rpgs my entire life and I honestly think this might have the best turn based battle system ever. Easily top 3, at least.

It really is great. Finishing my third playthrough and I'm still learning a ton.

Was actually thinking of playing this (and the SaGa series at large) recently, but this thread might be pushing me to do that sooner rather than later.

I think it is the best entry point, as it executed a bunch of the core mechanics best. Glimmers, BR, formations, and LP are all so much better implemented here than in other games on the series.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
There's gotta be like 90% overlap between people that are super demanding about JP voice acting and super specific in what they demand from a Japanese-made RPG, so there's probably not a giant loss.

That is essentially just an ad hominem. I would be equally as insufferable if I were to write something like: "The mass majority of people who don't care about the inclusion of the Japanese audio are more than likely the type of people who will accept lower quality products, so their opinions are easily disregarded." I wouldn't say that, as I don't believe that, but such a sentiment would have the same character as what you wrote.

I already watched some clips of the game and I was not particularly impressed with the English dub. Generally speaking, I find that Japanese dubs are almost always of a reasonably high quality, even when they are featured in a lower budget project. I'm sorry if my unwillingness to accept a lack of dual audio offends you, but I do find it to be unacceptable. More importantly, that really isn't a great excuse for you to lash out at me like a child.

That's very easy to fix (PC only obviously ) literally just copy and paste. Download both japanese and english version in steam and overwrite the english voice files in \SaGaSCARLETGRACE_Data\StreamingAssets\Bundles\Voice\ with the ones from the Japanese edition.
Might want to consider the OP_SaGaSCARLETGRACE.mp4 file as well, but you won't have english subtitles for that unless you reencode and add them yourself.
While very unlikely, rarely a voice is located in a file in an odd place or packed into something, so there is a small chance a sound byte was missed, but that should be most of it if not everything.

That is definitely one of the many advantages of playing games on the PC. I am pretty exclusively a console gamer. I do appreciate that this is a huge non-issue for users on the PC.

Oct 25, 2017
That is essentially just an ad hominem. I would be equally as insufferable if I were to write something like: "The mass majority of people who don't care about the inclusion of the Japanese audio are more than likely the type of people who will accept lower quality products, so their opinions are easily disregarded." I wouldn't say that, as I don't believe that, but such a sentiment would have the same character as what you wrote.

You are reading way too much into this. I'm saying that people that really want Japanese voices tend to be people that like anime, and that correlates with playing JRPGs for plot and characters, which this game isn't even remotely focused on.

The entire debate about subtitles is usually based around games with loads of character development and dialogue for characters and plots that are heavily anime inspired. This game is none of those things.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
You are reading way too much into this. I'm saying that people that really want Japanese voices tend to be people that like anime, and that correlates with playing JRPGs for plot and characters, which this game isn't even remotely focused on.

The entire debate about subtitles is usually based around games with loads of character development and dialogue for characters and plots that are heavily anime inspired. This game is none of those things.

Fair enough. I did misinterpret what you were saying. Thanks for the clarification.

That being said, I can appreciate an RPG with a good combat engine, I just find bad English voice acting to be grating. I put up with it for many years during the PS1 and PS2 eras of gaming, but I am not willing to go back to it now that we have turned the corner and nearly every game with a Japanese VO includes the option to use it alongside English subtitles.

Not to say that all Japanese voice acting is instantly superior. I don't mindlessly choose the Japanese VO. I used the English dub when I played Resident Evil 2 this year, and thought it was superior to the Japanese dub. When I play Street Fighter I use the English voice actor for Cody (who knocks it out of the park). However, when dealing with lower budget efforts I do find the Japanese dub to usually hit a higher quality standard.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019
I've played two hours in Urpina's path and the game already has its hooks deep in me. Someone somewhere compared it to Infinite Space, I can definitely see the truth to that but this game is frankly much better (so far).

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up OP, I downloaded this and having a blast. Really digging the combat

Dec 2, 2017
You piqued my interest enough to look into it a little more. I have to say, it looks really rough. Like, maybe there is a great game buried in there, but I wouldn't have enough confidence in it to buy a copy before it goes on sale with a fairly heavy discount.
Keep hearing good things, but in the videos I watch - man the aesthetic is totally offputting. Character designs seem bad as well. Maybe someday.

So I was 100% in this camp as well. It was giving me flashbacks to Adventures of Mana which just felt like a cheap mobile game, and has had me side-eyeing Square's lower budget stuff for a while.

But all the effusive praise got to me and I picked it up, even at full price after the NA eShop sale ended.

I'm playing on Switch Lite so this may affect things, but I was actually really surprised at how much better the characters and everything looked on that screen in person vs. in videos, which I thought looked hideous. The proportions of the characters are still not what I'd consider ideal, but I get that they're trying to evoke a Super Famicom kind of feel. It's not bugging me like I was worried it might.