• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I enjoyed parts of all three. Not enough to probably rewatch two of them but there were at least parts and I don't regret paying for my theater tickets.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That would be me!

I mean if I wanted to nitpick them I could, but I honestly really enjoyed all three movies, way way WAY more than the prequels that's for damn sure.

Hell imo, The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film since Empire and if I were to do some sort of tiered list, the two might be tied for the top spot.

Not to mention that watching all three movies in the theater with my family are some of my most recent cherished memories I'll hold onto for years to come.

Overall I'd say they're fine additions to the Star Wars saga and I wouldn't change a thing.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
They are fun movies with heart and emotion.

🤷🏽‍♂️

Brentos

Oct 28, 2017
Well - I enjoyed 2/3 of it. I think there was actually something great building, but they ended up missing the mark. I think all the actors were great, and I think the characters were building to a pretty strong place. But the third movie failed to bring it all together.

The thing is, if the last movie just followed the lead from the last jedi, the trilogy would've been pretty great. In the end, the movies had a weird dynamic where each subsequent movie was actively trying to destroy the story-direction from the previous movie. To me, it felt as though the writers were paralysed, and beholden to the Star Wars 'custodians' spouting nonsense on social media and youtube.

Overall, the trilogy was crying out for any semblance of a through line - hopefully Feige can sort that side out, in future.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Honestly I would have greatly enjoyed TROS.

The Reylo kiss ruins it so much that I can't even begin to describe it.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed all 3. I've never thought Star Wars was a particularly well written series, so I don't go into it for the writing. I like it for the set pieces, creature design and space wizards, action and cool space battles. I got all of that in the sequel movies, so no complaints here.

The series as a whole is on par with Fast and Furious for me in that I know what I'm getting going in and it's basically comfort food.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
/raises hand.

I enjoyed all three of the new sequels to one degree or another. I don't regret my time with them and will rewatch them again at some point.

The first one is a fun, nostalgic trip back to the universe with a new coat of paint. Love all the new characters.

The second one is one of my favorite Star Wars movies despite some plotting issues and pacing issues. I think it does a lot fun stuff with the mythos, I really loved Rose as a character, and Kylo Ren is my favorite Star Wars villain. Him and Rey teaming up at the end fucking rules, as does Luke's nonsense. Seriously enjoyed all of that stuff.

The third one is flawed, but taken as a dumb adventure story it's a fun watch. It reminds me of anime in a lot of parts.I have a friend who called it the Dragonball GT of Star Wars, and yeah. That fits. It's not my favorite, but it's strange in ways I didn't expect the franchise to go, and I appreciate it trying something new. Also really enjoyed the Rey/Kylo dynamic, the hype-as-fuck ending, and some of the set pieces. I saw it a week or two after it came out and remember going, "man. People are really mad at a movie that's totally fine."

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I love 7, adore 8 and I'm kinda fine with 9. I think they mostly nailed the magic of the first movies, the characters, themes and fantasy aspect. Today's viewers want everything to be explained and be some part of a checklist, youtube and social media critics helped this "plot-hole" psychosis that would have destroyed the original trilogy back then. There is also this bias against Disney like they are some evil corporation that monetized Star Wars, as if this series wasn't already the very symbol of consumist hollywood.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Define "enjoyed". Because I found them all watchable to some extent, but I acknowledge the complete narrative mess it descended into and I will not defend TLJ or TRoS to anyone (apart from sexist bigots) even if I'm not against rewatching them from time to time.

But I really did enjoy TFA. By the numbers Star Wars, but lots of fun.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
The third one is flawed, but taken as a dumb adventure story it's a fun watch. It reminds me of anime in a lot of parts.I have a friend who called it the Dragonball GT of Star Wars, and yeah. That fits. It's not my favorite, but it's strange in ways I didn't expect the franchise to go, and I appreciate it trying something new. Also really enjoyed the Rey/Kylo dynamic, the hype-as-fuck ending, and some of the set pieces. I saw it a week or two after it came out and remember going, "man. People are really mad at a movie that's totally fine."

Wow. The Rise of Skywalker does feel very anime to me as well. Power of Friendship and teleport jutsu. Still liked the movie.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Well - I enjoyed 2/3 of it. I think there was actually something great building, but they ended up missing the mark. I think all the actors were great, and I think the characters were building to a pretty strong place. But the third movie failed to bring it all together.

The thing is, if the last movie just followed the lead from the last jedi, the trilogy would've been pretty great. In the end, the movies had a weird dynamic where each subsequent movie was actively trying to destroy the story-direction from the previous movie. To me, it felt as though the writers were paralysed, and beholden to the Star Wars 'custodians' spouting nonsense on social media and youtube.

Overall, the trilogy was crying out for any semblance of a through line - hopefully Feige can sort that side out, in future.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. For the life of me, I can't understand how anyone who genuinely liked the first two can be satisfied in any way with how things wrapped up. But apparently these people do exist. Heck, Rian Johnson claims to be one of them.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I enjoyed all 3 of the sequel movies. Out of the 3, TFA and TLJ are the best, but I still enjoyed Rise of Skywalker. Honestly, my only big issue with RoS was the kiss at the end, and how Finn was robbed of some real moment to shine (which, to be honest, I blame TLJ for essentially knee-capping him for an entire movie as far as growth in his abilities go).

Like, I rolled with Palpatine returning with no foreshadowing or build up, and I always enjoy seeing the main cast interact with each other, and the movie is fast paced and has some fun set-pieces. Adam Driver was great in it, as usual, but I think the whole cast has presence and is fun to watch. I enjoy them much more than the prequels, not as much as the OT. Overall, I find it an entertaining trilogy, that didn't feel out of place in the 9 movie saga.

I just really love Star Wars, and it was nice to see a new set of films that didn't take themselves too seriously (TLJ came the closest, and I do love it for it), were beautifully shot (each of the 3 films has some truly beautiful shot composition and lighting in many scenes), and had fun fan service and nostalgia bait moments that, I, personally, enjoyed.

Oct 29, 2017
Genuinely liked the first two and think they're good movies.

Third one, I was able to enjoy it just as eye candy and as a disposable sci-fi ride, so I was fine with it.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Regarding the kiss, I could at least look at the screen the last time I rewatched the movie. It just happened, can't be undone. The actual worst part is the "I am all the Jedi" line to me.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I liked them all. I can't for the life of me understand how you guys can constantly talk about this day after day for years though

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Genuinely liked the first two and think they're good movies.

Third one, I was able to enjoy it just as eye candy and as a disposable sci-fi ride, so I was fine with it.
/raises hand.

I enjoyed all three of the new sequels to one degree or another. I don't regret my time with them and will rewatch them again at some point.

The first one is a fun, nostalgic trip back to the universe with a new coat of paint. Love all the new characters.

The second one is one of my favorite Star Wars movies despite some plotting issues and pacing issues. I think it does a lot fun stuff with the mythos, I really loved Rose as a character, and Kylo Ren is my favorite Star Wars villain. Him and Rey teaming up at the end fucking rules, as does Luke's nonsense. Seriously enjoyed all of that stuff.

I agree with these.

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I sort of enjoyed the actors and performances even if the plot became completely mind-numbing wank in IX. The settings were neat, if underutilized.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I have enjoyed every star wars movie. When I was a kid around 6 years old my brothers would watch episode 5 every morning before school and I never bothered to watch it and didn't care to try. When I was 10 I watched the original trilogy before the prequels, fell in love with star wars since that age. I can happily watch every movie even though they aren't perfect, there are always things I can find to enjoy in them.

The hate for them was more of an annoyance than the films honestly, people can totally hate the prequels and the sequels but it's the fact that so many felt they had to voice their hate non stop as if they can't allow anyone else to like them that was annoying. I mostly stayed out of the threads for the films when they became a war between episode 8 fans and people who hated it a lot.

Pezking

Oct 25, 2017
TFA is alright.
TLJ is the best Star Wars movie since Empire.
TROS is...at least better than the prequels.

Overall I like the sequels. It just shouldn't have been a trilogy. TROS would have worked a lot better as a two-parter.

It's generally dumb to feel obligated to make exactly a trilogy if you're not adapting something that already exists. It's fine to develop an overarching story as you go along - but then you should also be flexible when deciding how many movies it takes to tell that story.

Besides TROS feeling terribly rushed, the sequel trilogy is actually pretty good as a whole.

Oct 27, 2017
I came out of TFA thinking that was a solid effort. I enjoyed it, I can't wait to see where it goes next.

I came out of Last Jedi thinking I enjoyed it but I have some issues. I wanted to see it again.

I came out of Rise of Skywalker thinking I enjoyed it but it didn't have any weight to it.

Overall every Star Wars movie is a fun time, some inspire more discussion than others.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
They are all flawed...even TLJ which I loved the most. I don't think any of them are bad. Honestly, found them all fun and would definitely watch again.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
7 was a great ride when I saw it opening night. I am still surprised at how quickly the tables turned on this and the internet started to hate it. It felt like everyone loved this movie on release but now it isn't thought of as highly.

8 was fun too. I go back and worth about with one I liked more (7 or 8) but it was cool to see the direction Rian took the franchise.

9 was eh. I've tried to love it but that film is all over the place. There are some fun points in the film but overall it is a mess. I think that if Disney took a step back and gave that film an extra year of production they might have come up with a better film.

Oct 26, 2017
I liked the actors, the special effects were good, as were the action scenes.

Rouge One was better than all 3 of them, but I still enjoyed them nonetheless.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I liked that part where the big ship goes swooooooosh upside down. That was cool as hell.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I like TFA, love TLJ, and while I greatly dislike TROS as part of the story I can turn off my brain and enjoy it as a Big Dumb Space Action Movie. That's something that I can't say about, say, Attack of the Clones.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Does it count if I thought Rise of Skywalker was only OK? Really enjoyed Force Awakens, as derivative as it is, because it was fun and gorgeous and so clearly, CLEARLY better than the prequel trilogy. The Last Jedi then came along, and it was even better imo. Not afraid to shake things up, and open up the series in a way that was sorely needed. It felt big and consequential, the usual formula was dispensed with, it wasn't all wrapped up in familial bloodlines and destiny. Then RoS happened and killed all those possibilities stone dead in favour of bringing back Palpatine and making Rey his kid and narrowing shit back down again after opening it up in TLJ. RoS was such a disappointment after TLJ. Still watchable and fun-ish, but SO much less than it could've been. You could tell they wanted the big space battle at the end to be that Avengers Endgame-like moment where every hero showed up and shit went down...but it fell so flat. Really wish Rian Johnson could've finished what he started with TLJ.

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
I loved TFA and TLJ.

TROS was dumb but I enjoyed it.
More or less the same for me. I liked a lot of TROS but it had some dumb stuff in it. Really hated how Rose got minimized. Also didn't like the subplot with Poe's love interest—it's like it was shoehorned in just to prove he wasn't into Finn, which he definitely was in TFA.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely love 7 and 8. Like 9 enough. I have zero qualms with the story beats in 7 and 8. I actually really like the pace at the beginning of 9. It feels like things are really dire. I just wish they would have given more explanation as to why Palps waited so long.

All three movies gave us cool locations and great new characters. Even if 9 retreads the desert planet once more after Tatooine and Jakku it does it differently with the color festival and come on the stare down between Rey and Kylo's ship is cool as hell. The planet with Keri Russell's character is also neat and feels authentically lived in.

Honestly I would have greatly enjoyed TROS.

The Reylo kiss ruins it so much that I can't even begin to describe it.
The kiss and the god damned double fake out with Chewie and Threepio are the worst parts of it for me. One or the other between Chewie and Threepio would have been fine but to do both in the same movie is just.. what were they thinking lol.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I enjoyed them all because my kid liked them, I could experience them through his eyes a bit—so I was able to turn off my brain and just drench in saturated Star Wars goo for a while. I just... I don't care about story or consistency or logic in Star Wars anymore. I stopped giving a shit.