• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I play games with other people. Sure, I enjoy single player experiences too. I'm enjoying Frostpunk, Two Point Hospital and Ori at the moment. But the best moments for me are in online or local co-op. From games like the Jackbox Party Pack, Sea of Thieves, Age of Empires and Apex Legends. A game like Human Fall Flat was one of my favorite co-op experiences this generation. The games I listed here are competitive multiplayer or cooperative arcade games, but there is also the aspect of co-op story experiences. Playing Gears of War in co-op, or even Crackdown. I like to play games like that with my brother or my friends.

With Sony having fantastic exclusive experiences this generation, with little co-op focus. Are we going to lose Microsofts support for co-op play, as they are building a new image for Xbox Game Studios?

Playing games is great, but playing games with friends is better...

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think we've seen enough to know that both companies are trying to do very different things. I doubt MS' focus is going to suddenly shift to cinematic single-player blockbusters.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I wouldn't worry about that. I am sure they will have a couple singleplayer focused experiences but I think MS wants to have such co-op experiences as well. Due to their focus on services having something that brings in multiple people seems like the most logical thing. Be it MP, co-op ... you name it.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
If MS have to sacrifice co-op to get games as good as Sony first party then good riddance. I just don't see how co-op is the main problem preventing MS from making great games? or why would MS sacrifice co-op experiences when they want to push something like gamepass?

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.
Not every dev team is going to be chasing after Sony's SP cinematic game because the market would be saturated then and no one is going to out do Sony at their own game.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
If MS have to sacrifice co-op to get games as good as Sony first party then good riddance. I just don't see how co-op is the main problem preventing MS from making great games? or why would MS sacrifice co-op experiences when they want to push something like gamepass?

You could argue Gears 5 could've been a better game if they hadn't focused on also having that co-op experience.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
I'd say it's the other way around. Subscriptions like Game Pass offer new possibilities and may provide a boost to this. The big problem with co-op games are that you need two copies of the game and it may be difficult to match schedules with friends (since friends with a copy may be limited). With a subscription, everyone shares the same library and organising co-op sessions becomes a lot easier.

And that's without going into offering alternatives to the PlayStation library and filling a void a subsection of gamers may actively feel.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Is Halo Infinite going to be co-op?
I think Xbox are all in on playing together tbh,I don't think you've anyhthing to worry about.
It's one of the main reasons I've so little interest in Xbox...but if you like playing together I think Xbox is a great place to play.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'd say it's the other way around. Subscriptions like Game Pass offer new possibilities and may provide a boost to this. The big problem with co-op games are that you need two copies of the game and it may be difficult to match schedules with friends (since friends with a copy may be limited). With a subscription, everyone shares the same library and organising co-op sessions becomes a lot easier.

And that's without going into offering alternatives to the PlayStation library and filling a void a subsection of gamers may actively feel.

Yup, I've noticed that playing online co-op is easier this generation with F2P and Game Pass. People just have an equal library of games.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I think microsoft will still primarily focus on multiplayer. Their major franchises aren't going away. However, I think their new studios are primarily known for singleplayer experiences. It looks like they tried to fill a whole with these acquisitions which should help out. They have a lot to prove in that area but I doubt they would suddenly make Halo or Gears singleplayer focused games.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Isn't Sea of Theives the most online co-op thing ever. The new game where it's all honey I shrink the kids is co op as well. If anything Microsoft is the opposite of Sony and their isolation game play.

Sure they may come out with a few single player games but they will never shift all the way into that thankfully.

And you don't need two copies of the game. Share your account with a friend and let them download it for free so you can both play. It's like game sharing.

FunkyFreshB

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I doubt it. Most of Microsoft's series have some form of co-op right now, so it's something you expect to see from them. With Halo and Gears they've already promised couch co-op will be in iirc, and most other games have some form of online mode where you can play with friends. In fact, due to Game Pass and the increase in their studios I almost expect more games to have what you want, as more studios means more games, and they'll want more people subscribed and I think multiplayer in games is a good way to get a group of people to get GP en masse

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Isn't Sea of Theives the most online co-op thing ever. The new game where it's all honey I shrink the kids is co op as well. If anything Microsoft is the opposite of Sony and their isolation game play.

Sure they may come out with a few single player games but they will never shift all the way into that thankfully.

Oh, Microsoft has a big focus on online and co-op at the moment. With games like Bleeding Edge, Minecraft Dungeons and Grounded coming up. But those are all smaller projects. I just hope it stays that way, as we've seen how much success Sony has had with their type of games.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
It would be disappointing if Microsoft started chasing the Sony style games. It does not appear that they are.

I love that the new-era Microsoft is going more after niche genres. Unlike before, though, they appear to be giving games the time and budget required to be a success. I've never been more excited for Microsoft's output than now.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Oh, Microsoft has a big focus on online and co-op at the moment. With games like Bleeding Edge, Minecraft Dungeons and Grounded coming up. But those are all smaller projects. I just hope it stays that way, as we've seen how much success Sony has had with their type of games.
Sony has a lot of great reviewed games but I find zero interest in a majority of them.

I remember when Sony wasn't all in on grim dark single player experiences and they use to make fun and varied games as well.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I reckon they'll still have a bunch of games with co-op support (whether it's optional or required) in the future:
-Forza Horizon
-Halo
-Gears
-State of Decay
-Grounded
-Minecraft Dungeons (Not an exclusive, but still an XGS produced project)
-Sea of Thieves (continued DLC support)
-Battletoads
-Everwild (not confirmed yet, but will probably have co-op)

...and those are just the games we know about.

Some of their studios will be working on single player focused experiences, and that's a very welcome turn of events in my opinion. I doubt they'll supplant the more MP driven games though.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
While I love Sony's exclusives, I have to say that I really want them to create more co-op games. Maybe even just add co-op to the story mode; That would be soo sick. I could see me and a buddy playing Spiderman (yes, I wrote that without a dash), Horizon or GoW from start to finish with each other. Wasted potential, imo.

I don't see MS following in Sony's footsteps, though, so you're good. I think their focus is on multiplayer.

Deleted member 64517

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised if the rpgs that are coming have coop support. Fable likely will, maybe Inexile's possible AAA rpg will as well. Obsidian's future rpg I'm less sure about but maybe.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Sony 1st and 2nd party had plenty of coop games on PS4. A lot of people keep looking at Uncharted and Last of Us and think that that's the only games Sony makes.

Either you are a first time PlayStation buyer's or you really haven't looked into what Sony really has for games under their umbrella.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Microsoft will never shy away from multiplayer and online social games but their new studio acquisitions were made to broaden their output

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
They should drop coop and focus on better single player experiences. They could still have a separate mp mode if they needed one.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Sony 1st and 2nd party had plenty of coop games on PS4. A lot of people keep looking at Uncharted and Last of Us and think that that's the only games Sony makes.

Either you are a first time PlayStation buyer's or you really haven't looked into what Sony really has for games under their umbrella.

Oh, I'm sure this is my fault. I don't own any consoles. So maybe I haven't looked far enough. But when people praise Sony's first party they mostly speak about games like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted and The last of Us. And that's why I feared maybe MS saw the praise those games got and would change course.

What are your favorite Sony co-op experiences from this generation? Maybe I could try them on PS Now.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They also made Ghost of Tsushima, God of War and Spider-Man, Horizon, Infamous and Bloodborne and Days Gone, The Last Guardian and Death Stranding.

All underrated Co-op titles

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Any examples? I just tried to come up with some but blanked out. Not a jab tho. Maybe its to early.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Microsoft hasn't released enough exclusives to really worry about that. They are not the ones dominating the coop market. Most people play 3rd party titles in coop and these games won't go anywhere.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Microsoft hasn't released enough exclusives to really worry about that. They are not the ones dominating the coop market. Most people play 3rd party titles in coop and these games won't go anywhere.

I don't think many publishers make true co-op campaigns for their games anymore. There are of course a lot of team based online multiplayer games and arcade couch co-op titles. I really enjoyed Magicka, Overcooked and Worms. But I'd like to see more games like Gears (but then.. not like Gears :') )

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Your worry seems strange.

343 Industries has already committed to split-screen co-op, and Gears, Halo, Sea Of Thieves, even games like Forza, and State of decay have co-op.

I don't think MS' drive is to copy Sony, it's to build thier subscription service with as much value and diversity as they can afford to create.

Multiplayer is one of Xbox's core pillars, and I doubt that will change.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I don't think MS is following Sony in the third person story driven.action games. That seems to be most people's complaint about MS right now, that they don't ape Sony enough. Their tendency to make co-op games is one of the reasons I am still in the Xbox ecosystem. I feel like MS and Nintendo keep that torch lit from a first party perspective.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
After two decades of people fearing single player games are doomed now we have the opposite?

And the answer is still the same, both will be fine.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
MS will have a big mix of everything next gen. From platformers to RTS to Fligh Simulator.
Thats the idea behind gamepass. Diverse. One might join for a platformer the other for a RTS.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually something MS lead in, so I don't think it's going anywhere. I personally think MS focus too much on Multi which they're addressing thank god. I don't want Sony style overwhelming focus on SP though, just balance things out a bit. Rare for instance, would love a new SP adventure to go with some of their multiplayer efforts.

Ori is one of the best games made this gen, and we have Psychonaughts, but these are SP games that have been added rather then replaced, so don't worry, multi will be a core part of thier offering. Enjoy Bleeding Edge soon.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
I've always bought Nintendo consoles for co-op games, playstation for single player games, and xbox for multiplat titles, then my "main" games I buy on PC.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
They also made Ghost of Tsushima, God of War and Spider-Man, Horizon, Infamous and Bloodborne and Days Gone, The Last Guardian and Death Stranding.

All underrated Co-op titles

I like to add also Next Machina(I can name 5 games on PS4 that they made that had amazing CO-OP), Knack 2, Wipe out Omega, Gran Turismo Sports...etc.

Believe me Microsoft and Sony are not forgetting about the people who has real friends and actually have parties and stuff and want to play games with each other. Also Nintendo if a great Co-op company as well.

I don't expect any changes from that. Although I never played the game, I think State of Decay had Co-op oh, and that is a Microsoft exclusive.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
MS design it's games around online features because they want to sell Xbox Live to you. Now with gamepass they also want to sell the subscription in a way that has to make you stick to the game longer than you would if it was just single player.

Forza has online, Gears has online, Crackdown has online, Halo has online, Sea of thieves, State of Decay...

I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Hell, gears 5 had a special character for those who aren't specially good playing TPS. Watch Girlfriend reviews.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
I think the variety MS offers in this regard is really good. Co-op MP games are my favourite and I genuinely love that MS offers a lot of them. Its one of the reasons I didn't mind XBox's relative exclusive blunder this gen. If we just start seeing more 3rd person action adventures I will be very sad.