• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Pyromancy makes the fight with O&S much easier. Get it to +15 and 2 atunement slots (I don't know what your stats are)
Always keep both in your field of view, target Orstein (the slim one) with fireballs. It might sometimes hit both. Once you take 1 out, the rest of the fight becomes just a regular Souls boss fight.

Can you post your stat screen?
I don't think I can use it to with my build but thanks for tip!
i did all melee. used the pillars to keep them separated, killed the big guy first. he hits hard but plenty of time to get out of the way. took my time, wasn't ashamed to run and get behind a pillar, don't get caught out in the open

after the first one dies, the second one heals completely so don't bother hitting both

did lightning spear guy second. stayed underfoot, between his legs and behind. watched for the jump up which is nasty aoe. roll away, come back when it's over. being in front of him is terrible, no-man's land
I found it easiest to concentrate on killing Ornstein (the small one) because he likes to come to you. Basically I just jogged backwards in a circle around the room waiting for opportunities, jumped in with some quick slashes against Ornstein when I saw a chance and then rolling out of the way of Smough's hammer that was inevitably going to smash down from off-screen after a second or two.

Phase 2 Smough ain't shit, so if you get that far you've basically done it (do still be careful, though, because he hits hard).
these tips were helpful thanks
Pretty sure you can summon Solaire in the hall outside S+O and he's a huge help distracting one while you take the other out.
I am trying to beat the game using Zero summons

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I don't think I can use it to with my build but thanks for tip!
Pyromancy does not scale or require any magic stat. It's just magic for melee build. It works just as a weapon. Buy and upgrade.
The only stat that you might need is for atunement so you can have more slots for fireball and you might already have enough depending on your starting class

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
off-topic, but just to close the circle on an earlier subject, i decided i didn't want to spend more time on dark souls 2. they made some mechanical changes, presumably to make the game more difficult, that i didn't enjoy as much. it's not that it's too difficult, it just feels like a hassle

but, one person's chore is another person's challenge, i won't knock it

played a little bloodborne instead. beat the cleric boss, then spent a couple of hours in new yardham trying to only kill enemies with visceral attacks. pretty confident now, except for the pitchfork guys, some of their animations are really short

i'm sure all go back to it eventually; my ps5 arrives tomorrow so i will be busy for a while

i'm still thinking about dark souls a lot. i hated, and i mean HATED, the narrow ledge stuff, and it's still one of my favorite games of all time, the core mechanics and exploration are just that good. never would have tried without this thread, i just had kind of blown it off as "not for me"

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
off-topic, but just to close the circle on an earlier subject, i decided i didn't want to spend more time on dark souls 2. they made some mechanical changes, presumably to make the game more difficult, that i didn't enjoy as much. it's not that it's too difficult, it just feels like a hassle

but, one person's chore is another person's challenge, i won't knock it

played a little bloodborne instead. beat the cleric boss, then spent a couple of hours in new yardham trying to only kill enemies with visceral attacks. pretty confident now, except for the pitchfork guys, some of their animations are really short

i'm sure all go back to it eventually; my ps5 arrives tomorrow so i will be busy for a while

i'm still thinking about dark souls a lot. i hated, and i mean HATED, the narrow ledge stuff, and it's still one of my favorite games of all time, the core mechanics and exploration are just that good. never would have tried without this thread, i just had kind of blown it off as "not for me"
this thread started as just started as a random post to get me to not waste money in demon's souls. crazy how far it's come

Looking for weapon upgrade (wolf down)
OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Updates coming slower because next gen games like miles Morales distracting me.

I Have the Lord vessel and warping is great.

My current task is upgrade my weapons I looked up on the wiki that the next upgrade ember is in new lando but I need a ring from the gardens first.

I purchased my way past the garden door joined a covenent, defeated the Hydra, and defeated sif the wolf .

Sif's hurt animations are really sad

Now I have to go to spooky ghost place and I'm not looking foward to it.

Last edited:

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

My current task is upgrade my weapons I looked up on the wiki that the next upgrade ember is in new lando but I need a ring from the gardens first.

I purchased my way past the garden door joined a covenent, defeated the Hydra, and defeated sif the wolf .

Your making great progress!

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

Sif's hurt animations are really sad

I loved New Londo. I'm a fan of horror levels in non horror games.

By the way OP you started a "movement" lol. Thanks to this thread I pushed through and finished Dark Souls and I am in the middle of DS2. Talking to some friends I picked their interest. One Started DS3 and finished it, another is halfway done with Bloodborne. The From disease is contagious.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
it's true TC, you've really started something. i've gone from 0 to beating two souls games in the course of a month (DS1, DeS). after a miles morales break will probably try to get through bloodborne

fwiw, i know the back half of the game gets mixed reviews (there was just a thread about it), but i enjoyed my entire time with only occasional exceptions--just like the first half

1 Lord soul Max Halberd stats update
OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Ok lots of progress

I broke away from forest hunters and joined chaos covenant and grinded humanity with rats in depths to get Choas to level 2

Battle and defeated Stray Demon (3 attempts)

Completed New lando Used covenant ring to get chunks from wraith guys.

Defeated Four Kings (6 attempts)

Upgraded to Halberd +15 and Claymore + 14

havel Equip load ring and stamina ring ,

Havel armour and silver knight shield

Level 71

25 vitality
36 endurance
24 strength
30 dexterity

1 Lord souls down 3 to go

Heading to building on hill above Anor Lando

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
fwiw, i know the back half of the game gets mixed reviews (there was just a thread about it), but i enjoyed my entire time with only occasional exceptions--just like the first half
I dont get that criticism either. I really enjoyed Tomb of Giants, New londo and even the Catacombs. The only bad area was Lost Izalith including its boss. I think that by Anor Londo people just wanted to finish the game and rushed the rest without enjoying it.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I dont get that criticism either. I really enjoyed Tomb of Giants, New londo and even the Catacombs. The only bad area was Lost Izalith including its boss. I think that by Anor Londo people just wanted to finish the game and rushed the rest without enjoying it.
That's exactly what happened to me in the past with this game...except I would just stop playing. Getting to Anor Londo is tiresome by itself, then making sure you're well equipped enough to stand a chance against O&S just really takes it out of you. If it weren't for this thread, and not realizing there was an avatar bet/tag prize at stake until after I signed up, I absolutely would have quit by now. I need to get out of the Dark Souls headspace...Miles Morales helps but the Demon's Souls ads on the PS Store do NOT help. I will probably have to just play Spider MAn and something else before I get around to Demon's Souls...afraid it might be too similar, but at least has the benefit of being structurally different and I remember far less of it.

Update for my progress. I had two days off work in a row finally so I put in some WORK on this sucker:

Killed Ornstein and Smough. Finally. I thought I had never done it before but once I got partway through the Duke's Archives it started to look vaguely familiar. I don't remember ever seeing Seath, placing the Lord Vessel, or that whole interaction with Frampt; but I do remember fighting the blue squid head things after you break out of the jail cell. Maybe I got further the first time I played it than I thought *shrug*. My ADHD is thriving though since if I get frustrated with an area I can just warp elsewhere to entertain myself. I made it to Gravelord Nito but only had 1 Estus left so....that didn't end well. Made it to the Crystal Cave but the crystal golems on the narrow-ish crystal walkways got frustrating so I hopped on over to the Demon Ruins. I had already defeated the Ceaseless Discharge, but I tackled the Demon Firesage, Centipede Demon and made it to Lost izalith. I need to go back to New Londo so I can figure out what to do next there. Before when I went through I got to what seemed to be a dead end but I'm not sure if I explored well enough or was just like "fuck it" and left because I didn't know what to do.

Getting there. One question I do have for Transistor.....I just have to beat the main game and not have to go through all the DLC stuff to be able to move on to Demon's Souls right? please say yes

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
That's exactly what happened to me in the past with this game...except I would just stop playing. Getting to Anor Londo is tiresome by itself, then making sure you're well equipped enough to stand a chance against O&S just really takes it out of you. If it weren't for this thread, and not realizing there was an avatar bet/tag prize at stake until after I signed up, I absolutely would have quit by now. I need to get out of the Dark Souls headspace...Miles Morales helps but the Demon's Souls ads on the PS Store do NOT help. I will probably have to just play Spider MAn and something else before I get around to Demon's Souls...afraid it might be too similar, but at least has the benefit of being structurally different and I remember far less of it.

Update for my progress. I had two days off work in a row finally so I put in some WORK on this sucker:

Killed Ornstein and Smough. Finally. I thought I had never done it before but once I got partway through the Duke's Archives it started to look vaguely familiar. I don't remember ever seeing Seath, placing the Lord Vessel, or that whole interaction with Frampt; but I do remember fighting the blue squid head things after you break out of the jail cell. Maybe I got further the first time I played it than I thought *shrug*. My ADHD is thriving though since if I get frustrated with an area I can just warp elsewhere to entertain myself. I made it to Gravelord Nito but only had 1 Estus left so....that didn't end well. Made it to the Crystal Cave but the crystal golems on the narrow-ish crystal walkways got frustrating so I hopped on over to the Demon Ruins. I had already defeated the Ceaseless Discharge, but I tackled the Demon Firesage, Centipede Demon and made it to Lost izalith. I need to go back to New Londo so I can figure out what to do next there. Before when I went through I got to what seemed to be a dead end but I'm not sure if I explored well enough or was just like "fuck it" and left because I didn't know what to do.

Getting there. One question I do have for Transistor.....I just have to beat the main game and not have to go through all the DLC stuff to be able to move on to Demon's Souls right? please say yes
Regarding the crystal golems, just roll or run past them. They are not worth the fight in that area. For your progress, I suggest you go to New Londo to get the ember so you can upgrade your weapon to +15. It will help greatly.

Dlc is pretty short. You can run past the first area after 1st boss and go straight to second which which is a very cool fight. Final boss in the dlc is a bit tough if you dont have good stamina. There is also an optional boss. I think the dlc is worth it

3 Lord Souls (neto Next!)
OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Another big chunk completed.

Seath dead (2 attempt dukes 2 attempt crystal cave)

Lava palace is massive really like how capra and turus demon are random enemies it's like the ones in the burg just found themselves there.

Took out fire remix of asylum/stray demon (1 attempt)

The centapide was the hardest boss in a bit (5 attempts) frustrating to fight.

Killed Choas bed in 3 attempts upset almost did it in 2 But missed swing on last part. I don't understand frustration at this fight it was very easy and the sections don't reset. What am I missing.

Solaire seems super sad Poor guy.

Catacombs next I saved it for last because I hate dark scary places Plus I got to get the light maggot helm

Level 85 56 hours played.

30 vitality
40 endurance
24 Strength
36 dexterity

Last edited:
OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
How long to beat says a mixed playstyle is about 61 hours and I've played 56. Tomorrow might be the day !

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Nice! I liked the catacombs and beyond. If the skeletons are giving you trouble and need a suggestion
take a divine weapon. Makes it a lot easier to explore and find the necromancer dudes

Nov 9, 2017
I don't want to hijack OP's thread but I also don't want to open a new thread for a single question so I'm gonna ask it here and I'm sorry if it's not the right place for this:

Has anyone tried Dark Souls Remastered on the PS5, and if so, does the FPS hit 60FPS? I don't care if it's 1080p or 4K - it's the frame rate that is my question.

As for OP - I've been reading this as Demon's Souls is my first Souls game and I'm looking at Dark Souls Remastered as my second one so I've been reading this with interest lol.

The Remake is fucking incredible OP - like I cannot believe I waited this long to try these games.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Killed Choas bed in 3 attempts upset almost did it in 2 But missed swing on last part. I don't understand frustration at this fight it was very easy and the sections don't reset. What am I missing
In the vanilla version they do reset. So dying meant restarting the whole fight. There was a trick though. People would quit the game when they die and relaunch it. They would spawn right in front of the fog with sections done. It was tedious hence the hate for this boss. Also its a badly designed boss fight

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I don't want to hijack OP's thread but I also don't want to open a new thread for a single question so I'm gonna ask it here and I'm sorry if it's not the right place for this:

Has anyone tried Dark Souls Remastered on the PS5, and if so, does the FPS hit 60FPS? I don't care if it's 1080p or 4K - it's the frame rate that is my question.

As for OP - I've been reading this as Demon's Souls is my first Souls game and I'm looking at Dark Souls Remastered as my second one so I've been reading this with interest lol.

The Remake is fucking incredible OP - like I cannot believe I waited this long to try these games.
Dont have a ps5 but the remaster was already targeting 60 on ps4 and xbox one. So no reason for it not to be stable 60 on ps5. I tried it briefly on Series X and seems stable all the way.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018

DS Remaster is mostly locked 60 on PS4, it's probably safe to assume it still is on PS5.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Killed Chaos Bed in 3 attempts upset almost did it in 2 But missed swing on last part. I don't understand frustration at this fight it was very easy and the sections don't reset. What am I missing.
It's not that the boss is hard, it's that it's an extremely stupid fight that partly relies on RNG to get through. The collapsing floor is IIRC semi-random (as in, the sections that collapse are always the same, but the speed in which they collapse isn't) and if you get hit by one of the sweeps you almost always die instantly because you're pushed into one of the holes.

It's also very hard to keep track of the arms while you are running to the opposite ends of the room because of the camera, so sometimes when you get hit it's pretty much unavoidable. That the sections don't reset is 100% because FROM knows it's bullshit and throws the player a bone. Still, when the most safe way is to break one side, exit and reload that's dumb design.

And then I haven't even talked about that final jump yet. Which has to be timed perfectly and done blind because there is no way for the player to see the ledge they have to jump on before they jump.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
It's not that the boss is hard, it's that it's an extremely stupid fight that partly relies on RNG to get through. The collapsing floor is IIRC semi-random (as in, the sections that collapse are always the same, but the speed in which they collapse isn't) and if you get hit by one of the sweeps you almost always die instantly because you're pushed into one of the holes.

It's also very hard to keep track of the arms while you are running to the opposite ends of the room because of the camera, so sometimes when you get hit it's pretty much unavoidable. That the sections don't reset is 100% because FROM knows it's bullshit and throws the player a bone. Still, when the most safe way is to break one side, exit and reload that's dumb design.

And then I haven't even talked about that final jump yet. Which has to be timed perfectly and done blind because there is no way for the player to see the ledge they have to jump on before they jump.
Disagree the fight is really fun and I wish it did not reset in remaster

I just looked up the original fight to make shure your wrong on 2 things.

You can 100 percent tell he is gonna swing based sound cues this what I did to avoid damage or falling in.

The last jump is not blind at all just look down the ledge is easy to see and not that small.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Another big chunk completed.

Seath dead (2 attempt dukes 2 attempt crystal cave)

Lava palace is massive really like how capra and turus demon are random enemies it's like the ones in the burg just found themselves there.

Took out fire remix of asylum/stray demon (1 attempt)

The centapide was the hardest boss in a bit (5 attempts) frustrating to fight.

Killed Choas bed in 3 attempts upset almost did it in 2 But missed swing on last part. I don't understand frustration at this fight it was very easy and the sections don't reset. What am I missing.

Solaire seems super sad Poor guy.

Catacombs next I saved it for last because I hate dark scary places Plus I got to get the light maggot helm

Level 85 56 hours played.

30 vitality
40 endurance
24 Strength
36 dexterity
If I may ask, what weapon/shield/spells/armor are you using?

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
If I may ask, what weapon/shield/spells/armor are you using?
Halberd +15 and Claymore +14

I have stuck with these all game as I don't know what to do with all the fancy special material.

Havel ring which allows me to wear

Havel helm and Havel chestpeice. Silverknight arms and legs. Silverknight shield.

No magic or pyromancy.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Am I crazy for thinking the bed of chaos fight even the original is a super fun and also fair boss fight

There's so much bullshit in this game I am shocked people hate bed of chaos

I went left first time and died.

Second run went left again because I did not know it saved went all the way right hit it. Went all the way up the middle made it to larva and missed 3 swings because I was using Halberd poke instead of wide claymore. It would have been second attempt if diffrent weapon was in my hands .

Even if it reset I think the full run seems easy to do.

Last edited:

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Am I crazy for thinking the bed of chaos fight even the original is a super funa and also fair boss fight

There's so much bullshit in this game I am shocked people hate bed of chaos
Because BoC isn't a boss in which your fighting, either equipment or skills, tend to matter. I don't dislike as much as, say, Seath or Sanctuary guardian, but don't look to get to it.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
FYI, there's no jumping in Bed of Chaos fight, you can just run or even walk off the edge - you still have to avoid the hand swipes, but no jumping required. Not defending the fight, it's a mess, just saying.
Best thing I ever did for my DS1 runs was learn Tokhi bombs made BoC a triviality.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Going through catacombs now and man do these late areas hand out bonfires like candy

You walk like 2 minutes and hit another one I actually stopped kindling the first bonfire I see assuming there's a better one soon.

Back in my day an area had 1 bonfire and you shortcut back to it.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Disagree the fight is really fun and I wish it did not reset in remaster

I just looked up the original fight to make shure your wrong on 2 things.

You can 100 percent tell he is gonna swing based sound cues this what I did to avoid damage or falling in.

The last jump is not blind at all just look down the ledge is easy to see and not that small.
I'm doing Bed of Chaos in my new playthrough now and I disagree. His sweeps, at least for me, make no real discernible sound and the moment you see his sweep attack you are already too late to dodge. The effect of her sweep also seems completely random. Sometimes I'm staggered, other times I'm flung halfway across the map straight into a hole.

And what I meant with that you have to make that jump blind is that if you stop to look, you'll be hit by a sweeping attack or a fire attack. Ugh, I left Bed of Chaos till last and despite this being the sixth or seventh time I beat the game, it's still an enormous drag. Easily the worst boss in the entire franchise.

SamuelBeckwit

Oct 27, 2017
Reading this topic made me realize that I've never played a numbered From Software game. I need to be in the mood and right head space for a Souls game and it seems like 2/3 came out at the wrong time for me. I should go back and pick up DS3 some day.

Gumshoe

Oct 31, 2017

I'm playing it for the first time on PS5 and it's a solid 60 as far as I've experienced.

All Lord souls in my possession. Final stretch!!!
OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Gravelord Nito Dead I lost track of attempts but I kept dying do to big skeletons .

I finally let nito come to me then dps raced him before big dudes came over

Died to toxic right after and had to run back for he souls lol.

All lord souls acquired!!!

I think this is the last part how should I prepare?

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Nice! Main thing you need is a flame resistant shield

and confidence in your parrying game
Why don't you have a tag yet?

Is transistor waiting to give us both one at same time?

My plan is pop all my souls and leval intelligence and faith also craft magic weapons possible so I can try magic in new game plus one day.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea

My plan is pop all my souls and leval intelligence and faith also craft magic weapons possible so I can try magic in new game plus one day.
not sure, i guess we will all get knighted at once

sounds like fun, i did a pure dex build and would love to go back and mess with magic/faith

or hell, even bows. they're so useful and i didn't touch one until i was 75% done. i know i'll go back one of these days

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
When people said parry gywen i assumes it was just to avoid getting hit I did not think it would do That much damage.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
lmao yeah, it nails him. i've seen vids of people kill him without parrying, takes forever

congrats! and thanks for getting this going, can't believe i'd been missing out all this time

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats, you don't have to do the DLC but I highly recommend it. It's very very good and not super long.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats :D

Parrying Gwyn is one of the most satisfying things in the game. Your time has come, old man!

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain

Magic in DS is a trap, needs waaaay higher stat investment (white dragon breath 65 magic? Fuck outta here!) and it's not as brutally OP as it is in DeS or DS2. Bur for a NG+ or superior is great fun.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I tried Gywen a ton of times without parrying and never got his health below half before he killed me.

WITH parrying it only took me like 2 or 3 tries.

I honestly didn't even use parry for the entire game either, I basically had to relearn it just to do the final boss.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Magic in DS is a trap, needs waaaay higher stat investment (white dragon breath 65 magic? Fuck outta here!) and it's not as brutally OP as it is in DeS or DS2. Bur for a NG+ or superior is great fun.
Dunno about that. You can be really OP really early with magic. White Dragon Breath is pretty out there, I think even if you had the stats for it it wouldn't be worth using compared to Crystal Soul Spear or Dark Bead - which has a ridiculously low 16 INT to use!

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Congrats, you don't have to do the DLC but I highly recommend it. It's very very good and not super long.
I confess, to my shame, that I have ignored DLC bosses for all the series:
- cba with Kalameet
- blue smelter demon, gank squad & sinh? Sorry brah, after 170h for the plat and NG+++, no trophy no kill.
- Laurence the first vicar? Sure, how long could it tak *sees NG++ hp* welp, at 4k/60 sure.
- dont even own DS3 dlc!