• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
It's such a strange and surreal time in our lives right now. Economy crumbling right before our eyes. Projected 20% unemployment if this thing continues to go on for months. You will see smaller studios have to close or they will get gobbled up by the big publishers. There will be a big consolidation and it's probably won't be the best thing for gaming. Creativity is going to be stifled. Only the "big" boys and "big" games will be available. Probably the same thing for the movie industry. Be safe everyone. Stay close to your loved ones and STAY THE FUCK HOME.

Dec 25, 2018
would love to be playing Doom Eternal this weekend, but I cant really justify full price at the moment so been starting to go through backlog of games (and digital comics) picked up in the odd sale.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I get you. I have more than enough games so I do not need anything for now.

I already paid off my pre orders before this crisis and won't be getting as much games as before. Will probably get SOR4 though.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Same. Lost my job due to virus.
Our government is giving us 200 bucks a week for now.

Grabbed a year of PSNow so I won't be bored anyway. Also have an insane backlog.

Jul 10, 2018
I have lifelong friends who have barely realized this about their own lives, and never did anything about it.

You've already recognized what's going on, so you've already taken the first step towards fixing things.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I mean, yeah, the Corona shit is already having enough of an impact on my behaviour when it comes to buying games. I'm really reluctant to order physical copies from online stores due to the Virus.
But if I were additionally unemployed like you are and other circumstances, I'd also rather not buy too many games right now. I get that.

All the best to you though, OP, in hopes you'll get out of that situation as soon as possible.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Yeah, I was really looking forward to Animal Crossing but I can wait however long it takes for this all to end

Maybe get some discounted game with my Steam trading card money

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Tough times for a lot of people. Especially for those stuck in quarantine, gaming is pretty much what people have to pass the time.

I'm headed to bed OP, but PM me if you see this please. I'll buy any game you want currently as long as it is a digital buy.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I have Days Gone to start, I hear good things. Should keep me busy a while but I was hype for RE3.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck,

Im facing similar uncertainty, I work in healthcare but the shift in priorities of only necessary surgical procedures and health screening has completely decimated our work volumes. Layoffs are inevitable and will be affecting every department like mine in every hospital system in the country, so there is literally no where else to work in the field. Recovery is going to take a long time.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I intend to spend no money whatsoever in games this year. Anything i get will be through direct trade ins. I had made the decision before the outbreak but that solidified it.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Hey, at least you'll have a stellar lineup to play at discounted prices when you do eventually end up back on your feet OP, which I'm sure you will. Hope all goes well!

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
My son is really sick right now with symptoms. Waiting on test results. Trying to game to get my mind off things while stuck inside. Games are usually my refuge, but they are helping me kill time right now. Just impulse bought Darksiders Genesis and Red Dead. Probably won't play either.

Deleted member 63832

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 14, 2020
Dogs cant use money you silly dog!

(in all seriousness this seems super reasonable and I wouldn't feel bad at all, we all must prioritize in these crazy times we live in)

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I feel you Fat4all video game buying is completely off of the schedule for me. Buying anything beyond food, medicine, and medical supplies, really. I work in the business telecom sector and so far the corporate overlords are saying work from home is a no go since we handle so many businesses' private information.

If the office gets closed by mandate I'm not sure what I'll do. Well, I guess I could go back to 6 to 12 hours a day of online poker, UUUUUGGGGGGGHHHH please God no.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I got Animal Crossing because it will keep me busy for quite a while, and now thats basically it.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I'm right there with you, man. My friends are all talking about Animal Crossing and I'm just like "man, I'm not even sure I'll be able to pay for my bills next month." My job is still open but everyone has super reduced hours (8 hours a week. After taxes I'm making like 70 bucks a week.) Luckily I do have a HUGE backlog due to Humble Monthly (which is now paused). Think I'm gonna start working on Yakuza 0 soon.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Good call in general in these trying times. Not just games, but most non-essentials. This economic situation will have huge ripple effects.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine. Lots of people are out of work right now, and there's nothing but uncertainty ahead in dealing with this.

Hope we get some good news soon.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
After I pick up P5R, I will be doing the same.

Although have it preordered at Gamestop, so will need to call them to find out how that's going to work.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
things are just a bit too uncertain for me right now

i mean, it wasn't like i was super comfortable before all the covid stuff kicked in

i have a good chunk of debt, but i was in a position where i could pay my bills, feed myself, and get a game every now and again

but there's a very good chance that in the next few days or weeks I'll be out of a job with no real road to employment until this settles down for a bit

yesterday i bought Doom 64 for 5 bucks, and that'll likely be it until my future is a bit more certain

im very fortunate to have a backlog of games to play, plus games i love to replay

dunno entirely why im making this thread, just kinda venting while i think about the future i suppose, a lot of people I know personally are being laid off and it's just made me realize how precarious my situation may be

we'll see i guess, until then Doom 64 is pretty rad

100%

Rumors of layoffs at my work. I am a commissioned technical salesperson on low base and a car package. Employment Insurance will only cover the a percentage of the base. I got a large chunk of debt. My appetite for gaming has definitely gone down.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
On the opposite end of that spectrum, I just built a pc and I'm buying everything.
my job always had wfh, and now it's mandatory. So gaming and working all day!!

its good that you have your priorities in order OP

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
Yes OP, you're right, but this is not only for games.

Some people for now have opportunity to work with home-office but we don't know exactly how long this situation will continue.

Today we have people with a good scenario, but with the possible global recess, people isn't 100% safe to maintain their job.

People/Companies will have to reinvent themselves, people will lose jobs. It's important to prepare to change some spending habits, because this will have an effect in everyone. When the amount of income get a cut in families, people will use their money only for basic things, all segments will suffer.

It's good you already is thinking about it, is really important.

Stay safe and do your best.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel you doggo.

I still have to go to work here because my job requires me to test units and physically send then to a shipping department. Though I feel it's a matter of time until the government forces a closure and then I have 1 week vacays to spend and that's it. Hopefully I'll get support, I'm in Canada so the outlook is a little bit less dire I assume, but there's always that little anxiety building up. I too have a solid backlog so I think I'll focus on that as well.

Stay strong.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
it depends on the business and the state laws where I live is a bit of a grey area with how it handles 'at-will' employment

id like to think my workplace wouldn't screw me over like that, but after burning vacation or even sick days, i imagine there's only so far they could support me

hopefully If this does last a long time I'll be right back at my old position once things get more normal, but I can't help but be worried
I know more people than I care to think about who have been let go because the business has had to shut down during quarantine. All hourly workers. They aren't let go because they can't come into work. They are let go because the business isn't doing any business. A few shut down entirely.
A lot of people are losing their jobs because they're no longer deemed necessary. Most of the people in the service industry, for example. You aren't going to need as many people working in restaurants or hotels if nobody is going to them.

It'll only get worse the longer this mandatory self-isolation goes on. Jobs at supermarkets and packing factories are probably more secure than otherwise much better paying and more fulfilling work.
I see, thanks for taking the time to explain. It's quite different here in France: many people are forced to what we call here "semi-unemployment" during the quarantine. In other words, people who can not work at home, and are unable to go to work due to the country's lockdown are assured not to lose their jobs once everything goes back to normal. All companies, may they be as big as 100k+ employees, or small ones (even 1 or 2 employees) will receive financial help from the government in order to get back to business as best as it can possibly be done.
Like I said, this is what we have in France, so I suppose the situation, and they way other governments handle it, can be, indeed, very different from one country to another.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Now is really the perfect time to chip away at the ole backlog ( or library for people who don't like that term).

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Video games offer a good form of escapism from the horror show that is going on around us. If you can afford it, keep buying and playing them imho. Stay safe all.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Currently I am still employed but I have also made the decision after RE3R and FF7R they will be my last purchases I will make for a long while. I have enough of a backlog and replay enough games that I am satisfied with what I have and do not need to get more.

Oct 27, 2017
I hear you OP, it's a very uncertain time, not the "vacation" some are making it out to be. Having to make decisions about where and when to buy food, and not being able to work from home, or not work, are simply more important considerations.

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
Emulators and free to play games have gotten so good nowadays, there will always be new content for you to play !
Have you considered moving out of the US ? I feel like it's going to be a rough 2020/2021 for employment over there...

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. I hate to see this type of thread from you, brother. I hope things get better for you sooner than later. Hang in there. Hunker down with some flaming hot cheetos and that backlog!

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I agree dog. I've already started digging through my backlog. I finally got to play Kenshi! A game I bought 7 years ago.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
My plan was to save up for a new card or a new gen console anyways. Almost all games from this year should receive enhancement patches.

Oct 25, 2017
Emulators and free to play games have gotten so good nowadays, there will always be new content for you to play !
Have you considered moving out of the US ? I feel like it's going to be a rough 2020/2021 for employment over there...

And going where? The U.S. isn't the only country being hit hard. That is likea last resort step regardless unless someone was interested in doing that already.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
things are just a bit too uncertain for me right now

i mean, it wasn't like i was super comfortable before all the covid stuff kicked in

i have a good chunk of debt, but i was in a position where i could pay my bills, feed myself, and get a game every now and again

but there's a very good chance that in the next few days or weeks I'll be out of a job with no real road to employment until this settles down for a bit

yesterday i bought Doom 64 for 5 bucks, and that'll likely be it until my future is a bit more certain

im very fortunate to have a backlog of games to play, plus games i love to replay

dunno entirely why im making this thread, just kinda venting while i think about the future i suppose, a lot of people I know personally are being laid off and it's just made me realize how precarious my situation may be

we'll see i guess, until then Doom 64 is pretty rad
Sorry to hear about the situation. Hang in there. It's hard to stay positive sometimes but don't give up, something good may come your way.

My wife and I both got laid off and we have lots of financial hoops to jump through, but unemployment will kick in soon which may also be an option for you. Make sure and check out every angle.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still down to get Persona and FF7; but that's it as I got them when Amazon has this reduced price on them for pre-order. With my sister's job probably in limbo(she'll find out tomorrow) I'll have to increase by part of the rent. And my job isn't 100% secure either...