• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much do you care about DRM?

• I only buy DRM-free games

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • I always buy DRM-free if it's an option

Votes: 93 17.9%
  • Only some DRM factors into my purchasing decisions

Votes: 187 36.0%
  • DRM does not factor into my purchasing decisions at all

Votes: 205 39.4%
  • I am a console Gamer (hardware DRM)

Votes: 26 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2017
I don't care because it's been an invisible part of the experience for over a decade now, and games aren't required to have it. I care about DRM when I perceive it as imposing negatively on the experience.

I believe you can run a game from an external and move it between computers. You just need to be logged into Steam on those computers too.
Right, so you can't just copy a game without restriction. That's DRM.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I do think people like to selectively ignore that Steam releases include Valve-developed DRM in most cases, sure.

It concerns me that I still see a lot of PC gamers taking Valve's old offhand comment regarding them removing Steam DRM if the service ever goes away at face value, lol.

This obviously does not get EGS off the hook in any form.
Uh Steam DRM is very easily bypassed. We don't need Valve to ever disable it if the worst happens because we can do that ourselves. That comment which others like JaseC have elaborated on is most likely about Valve removing authentication for content servers so you'd still be able to download and install games on the Steam client even if Valve and its main servers are no more.

Not all the Steam content servers are owned by Valve. That's way too many in too many countries. Valve allows third parties to set up their own that just tie into the Steam API and authenticate with Valve. It would mean that no matter what Steam could still launch and download games as long as people kept content servers hosted and running.

OP
OP
OSPC

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Kurt Russell proved you wrong but you just ignored the argument because doesn't fit your narrative of "Steam is drm and therefore bad". Not sure how we would even have a discussion if you are so unwilling to concede a point when you've clearly been proven to be wrong.

He argued that locking online features behind steamworks isn't DRM, which is objectively wrong.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He argued that locking online features behind steamworks isn't DRM, which is objectively wrong.

That's a lie. I told you that you can play a game like DUSK without Steam, even though the game fully takes advantage of Steamworks. Then you moved the goalpost to multiplayer, and I talked about the reason for the use of Steamworks for MP (which is that it's easier to setup for the devs, and easier to use for the players). The game itself is still playable in singleplayer without Steam. There's also plenty of other SP games that use Steamworks and are still playable without Steam (DRM free). I even linked a resource listing some of them. Then you called that a "strawman".

OP
OP
OSPC

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Saying that Steam DRM is easily bypassed isn't a good argument for why it should exist in the first place.

Furthermore, you will always need the launcher to install your games. You can't back up offline installers or install directly from the website.

Last edited:

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
That's a lie. I told you that you can play a game like DUSK without Steam, even though the game fully takes advantage of Steamworks. Then you moved the goalpost to multiplayer, and I talked about the reason for the use of Steamworks for MP (which is that it's easier to setup for the devs, and easier to use for the players). The game itself is still playable in singleplayer without Steam. There's also plenty of other SP games that use Steamworks and are still playable without Steam (DRM free). I even linked a resource listing some of them. Then you called that a "strawman".
I'm starting to think this thread wasn't made in good faith.

OP
OP
OSPC

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
I never claimed that all steam games required steamworks, hence the original strawman accusation.

Steamworks is objectively DRM though, and 98% of games on Steam use steamworks or other DRM in some capacity.

Right click on the game -> properties -> local files -> backup game files. You're welcome.

I meant offline installers

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
There are options on PC if a company should go under so it doesn't bother me much.

Now, if we start seeing streaming-exclusive games, then I'll grab my pitchfork.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Right, so you can't just copy a game without restriction. That's DRM.

Sure. Like, definitionally it is. There's a lot of nuanced takes on if it is or isn't, but ultimately it is. If you are absolutely opposed to DRM in any form, then that is something I entirely understand. It's a position I have sympathy with, and certainly lament the fact that rather than information being free, it's increasingly locked down and controlled by megacorps and governments. I do like GOG a lot and hope they continue to make more DRM free games available, which is obviously a good thing for everyone.

But most people outside of the Free Software Movement don't take such an absolutist stance. It's always a trade off, does X DRM mean I have access to Y features? If Y features are good enough, then that may be acceptable. I, personally, find the features offered by Steamworks to be an acceptable trade off for CEG. Other forms of DRM offer far less features (if any), so my view on how acceptable they are differs.

Still, I am unsure as to the point of this thread outside of the OP taking an absolutist stance against DRM and asking why everyone else doesn't. Which is a bold ask.

In short, hack the planet.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Furthermore, you will always need the launcher to install your games. You can't back up your games offline or install directly from the website.
That's beside the point (and also not true, about the backup). If the launcher no longer functions, then the server it connects to is inaccessible - in this instance, any digital storefront will suffer the same.

Any storefront, by its nature, is a form of DRM. It restricts your right to download digital content, by having you provide an authentication code - your login and password - to prove that you own said content. If GOG's servers went down, you would be locked out of any games you didn't backup or install from there, just as you would with Steam. The only difference, is that if Steamworks went down, the multiplayer and social framework it supports would also go down, so even if games are playable in offline mode, they would lack online features.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I meant offline installers
No, you said (quote) "back up your games offline". You can obviously simply backup any of your games automatically.
You've also argued that you can not install a game from a website which is incorrect because there are clickable Steam links like this steam://install/730
If you tried to argue that you can not manually download some game files then you probably never tried to add a non-Steam game to your library.
Steam also still provides some "offline installers" btw. Thats why you can buy a PC game in retail which has a Steam logo on the box art.

Nov 14, 2017
Right click on the game -> properties -> local files -> backup game files. You're welcome.
You still need the launcher to reinstall using that method.

I think a lot of posters have either forgotten or are too young to remember what it was like before Steam. Online multiplayer wasn't locked behind any kind of login. You could get an installer that was portable and not tied into any other infrastructure or launcher. By tying that to an account, Steam is a form of DRM.

Now, overall, I do agree that Steam and platforms like it have provided benefits, but they are still DRM that restricts freedom we used to take for granted, while admittedly giving us convenience in return. That is just a categorical fact.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This seems more of a gotcha rant aimed at PC gamers than any attempt to open up discussion regarding attitudes to DRM as such this topic is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.